TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Dear Mama - the 2pac Doc series on Hulu in absolutely incredible.  Holy sh*t.  Granted he is the GOAT IMO, so I'm a bit biased but it's so much more than just 2pac.  It goes deep into his families ties w/ the Panther party and the upbringing he had and why he was such a tortured soul.  It goes deep into this Nations corruption and oppression of black people in this country and how it impacted him and his family through their entire lives.  Goes deep into his mother battles w/ the govt. as a prominent figure in the Panther party.  She may have had flaws but my god, that is one of the strongest woman to ever walk the face of this earth.  Just incredibly well done.

2pac had the ability to change the world w/ his words and his passion.  Wish he was around now to spit the truth.  Music hasnt had a revolutionary like him since Marley and probably never will again.  Cant imagine how fired up he'd be about the state of this country if he was still alive.  25 and the dude was that deep and brilliant?  So freakin sad.

@The Crusher - must watch dude, you'll love it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

1883 was spectacular

1923 is terrible

Yellowstone ... Dunno yet

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1923; you cannot have the protagonist not ever interact with everyone else in the main conflict. It's just stupid. What's next, he gets sunk by a giant squid attack, an asteroid, the plague? 

And having Harrison Ford do his screaming get off my lawn thing every few  minutes, that's rough. It's a pretty good cast and not a bad show, but looks like Taylor Sheridan is filling this out for as long as it can go. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Somewhat lost on them that a sitting president interfering with an ongoing presidential campaign was ....an issue...in 1972. 2016, not so much. 

Hmm, I think you meant 2020, when Big Tech, Social Media companies, and a hostile foreign power collabed to derail our Republic?

😒 

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hmm, I think you meant 2020, when Big Tech, Social Media companies, and a hostile foreign power collabed to derail our Republic?

😒

Take your pick, which is about as political as you can get here. 

Took a real dark turn in the latest episode. Hunt was a CIA agent/asset for a long time and was into ...alot. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:21 PM, Bugg said:

"White House Plumbers"; entertaining as hell. Hard to go wrong with 2 great leading actors having a sheetload of fun. 

Watched the first episode of this primarily because I find the Nixon road to and from the White House really interesting and for woody harrelson. It was…alright. Kinda leaned too hard into pushing a certain viewpoint which was expected but the comedy was mid tier and didn’t make up for it like I had hoped it would. I’ll probably continue watching it but I wouldn’t say it’s because I enjoyed it really.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:25 PM, Dunnie said:

1883 was spectacular

1923 is terrible

Yellowstone ... Dunno yet

I hated 1923….until the end of the season. Honestly it probably should have just started towards the end but whatever. I don’t blame anyone for not liking it though the way they did it was really stupid.

On 5/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, Matt39 said:

Succession has been awesome this season. Sad it’s ending. 

I keep hearing about this show and seeing people rave about it. Is it really that good?

I think I mentioned this last year when season 1 came out but I am doubling down on recommending From. Season 2 has been delivering just as good as season 1 every week. If you haven’t heard of it or you were thinking about watching it seriously go try it it’s great so far. My only gripe is I think they need to explain at least some things before adding more mysteries but that hasn’t really happened yet.

I am not recommending it because most will despise it, but I’m getting a tremendous kick out of Too Old To Die Young. Co-written and directed by Nicholas Winding-Refn (who directed Drive), it’s sort of a noir cop/cartel drama full of wildly over the top acting and obscenely lush, gluttonous photography and set pieces that makes the whole project feel like if they took those bizarre Johnny Depp Sauvage commercials and made a long-form miniseries out of it. You’ll enjoy it if you have the patience for unhinged directors masturbating all over every frame, and Miles Teller is compelling, but it’s not for everybody. 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Dunnie said:

Watched all of Tulsa King this weekend .. just started The Boys

TK was light fun.. Sly is still semi enjoyable

I enjoyed it. Different and well written. Love the dispensary guy saying I didn't need protection until you got to town.

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:26 AM, Nolder said:

I think I mentioned this last year when season 1 came out but I am doubling down on recommending From. Season 2 has been delivering just as good as season 1 every week. If you haven’t heard of it or you were thinking about watching it seriously go try it it’s great so far. My only gripe is I think they need to explain at least some things before adding more mysteries but that hasn’t really happened yet.

I just watched season one and season 2 up to the current episode. Loved season one, the first few episodes were scary but so damn intriguing.

Seasaon 2 is a bit out there for me. I hope they close strong, like you said they have to start tying some stuff together.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am not recommending it because most will despise it, but I’m getting a tremendous kick out of Too Old To Die Young. Co-written and directed by Nicholas Winding-Refn (who directed Drive), it’s sort of a noir cop/cartel drama full of wildly over the top acting and obscenely lush, gluttonous photography and set pieces that makes the whole project feel like if they took those bizarre Johnny Depp Sauvage commercials and made a long-form miniseries out of it. You’ll enjoy it if you have the patience for unhinged directors masturbating all over every frame, and Miles Teller is compelling, but it’s not for everybody. 

Glad you mentioned Drive. Love that movie. Like Pusher too. But hated Only God Forgives.

So at some point I'll check out TOTDY. Same with Copenhagen Cowboy on NF. Depends on my mood.

Drive I could watch anytime again

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Glad you mentioned Drive. Love that movie. Like Pusher too. But hated Only God Forgives.

So at some point I'll check out TOTDY. Same with Copenhagen Cowboy on NF. Depends on my mood.

I had to watch Drive twice to really get it, now it’s one of the rare movies I’ll watch whenever I see that it’s on. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I just watched season one and season 2 up to the current episode. Loved season one, the first few episodes were scary but so damn intriguing.

Seasaon 2 is a bit out there for me. I hope they close strong, like you said they have to start tying some stuff together.

Yeah, I’m just at the point where I’m going to start getting frustrated with the show even though I like it. I really hope the writers have at least some idea of where they’re going with all this and they’re not just going to make it all up later.

I was going to recommend Rabbit Hole but the last episode kinda ruined it for me. It wasn’t Dexter or GOT bad but for me it sucked away any enjoyment I’d gotten from the series. If you really like Kiefer Sutherland I’d say check it out but if he’s not a draw for you then probably just pass on it.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:26 AM, Nolder said:

We started it the other day, only 2 episodes deep but they do a great job of throwing a lot of lines out early that you want to see them reel in but curious to see how big the mysteries grow based on this take simply because I feel like there are already 5 solid, wtf's going on already.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

We started it the other day, only 2 episodes deep but they do a great job of throwing a lot of lines out early that you want to see them reel in but curious to see how big the mysteries grow based on this take simply because I feel like there are already 5 solid, wtf's going on already.

Yeah all I'll say is the ride has been really spooky and great so far...but they need to land the plane. I have absolutely no idea if they're capable of that or not. All I can say is it's been great so far.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:07 PM, JohnJ said:

I think Bronson is the only one I have actually seen. 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Bronson is the only one I have actually seen. 

Like it? I like Hardy. Been meaning to see that and keep missing it. Waiting to see it come around again on Prime or NF

• 2 weeks later...

@Maxman with the penultimate episode of From airing last night and the finale of season looming next week we not only still have no answers for pretty much any of the mysteries they've put forward but IMHO it feels like we took a step backwards since the proverbial "silver bullets" didn't work making the last few episodes kind of a pointless waste. I really like the show and it does creepy very well but I also eventually want some meaning and it's just not delivering on that front.

As an aside if you're looking for a bit of a mystery that DOES start to get wrapped up I've been watching Silo and I'd recommend it. It's not creepy like From but it does have a futuristic steampunk element to it. It's kind of like the Vaults in Fallout without the cynical humor if you're familiar with that.

[mention=5331]Maxman[/mention] with the penultimate episode of From airing last night and the finale of season looming next week we not only still have no answers for pretty much any of the mysteries they've put forward but IMHO it feels like we took a step backwards since the proverbial "silver bullets" didn't work making the last few episodes kind of a pointless waste. I really like the show and it does creepy very well but I also eventually want some meaning and it's just not delivering on that front.

As an aside if you're looking for a bit of a mystery that DOES start to get wrapped up I've been watching Silo and I'd recommend it. It's not creepy like From but it does have a futuristic steampunk element to it. It's kind of like the Vaults in Fallout without the cynical humor if you're familiar with that.

I'm watching Silo but it can be slow. Also, Common is an absolutely terrible actor. I started the books and I'm on the last one. They are far far better than the show.

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:
6 hours ago, Nolder said:
[mention=5331]Maxman[/mention] with the penultimate episode of From airing last night and the finale of season looming next week we not only still have no answers for pretty much any of the mysteries they've put forward but IMHO it feels like we took a step backwards since the proverbial "silver bullets" didn't work making the last few episodes kind of a pointless waste. I really like the show and it does creepy very well but I also eventually want some meaning and it's just not delivering on that front.

I'm watching Silo but it can be slow. Also, Common is an absolutely terrible actor. I started the books and I'm on the last one. They are far far better than the show.

I don’t hate him but I’m kind of hoping he’ll be dead by the end of the season.

And yeah that’s usually the case that the books are better.

As someone who potentially knows where this show is going…does it actually go anywhere? Is it worth keeping up with if they follow the books?

I don’t hate him but I’m kind of hoping he’ll be dead by the end of the season.
And yeah that’s usually the case that the books are better.
As someone who potentially knows where this show is going…does it actually go anywhere? Is it worth keeping up with if they follow the books?
Oh yeah. What they've covered in the show so far is nothing. Not even the tip of the iceberg.

15 hours ago, Nolder said:

@Maxman with the penultimate episode of From airing last night and the finale of season looming next week we not only still have no answers for pretty much any of the mysteries they've put forward but IMHO it feels like we took a step backwards since the proverbial "silver bullets" didn't work making the last few episodes kind of a pointless waste. I really like the show and it does creepy very well but I also eventually want some meaning and it's just not delivering on that front.

Rebecca Ferguson 🤤 🤤

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Season 2 of The Bear is here.  Season 1 became a bit unbearable, particularly the ridiculous surprise near the end.  Plot and script are mediocre, IMO.  Hoping for a lot better than that in season 2.   He needs to stop being "Lip" from Shameless maybe.  It just doesn't fit.

From Season 2 Finale wasted a lot of time but the ending was...well I wont spoil it but like most things in this show it leaves you with more questions than answers. I'm tempted to drop the show because it never explains anything but I also really like it and I WANT it to be good, you know? I'll probably still tune in for Season 3 but it's getting harder to recommend the show when they never answer any of the mysteries they set up so well.

Anyone seen Secret Invasion? Worth watching or more Disney Marvel garbage?

I enjoyed the first episode of Secret Invasion.

At least for the first episode, it was ~50 minutes long.  I think an episodic series should last an hour especially if you are trying to get through a bunch of plot points/lines.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I enjoyed the first episode of Secret Invasion.

At least for the first episode, it was ~50 minutes long.  I think an episodic series should last an hour especially if you are trying to get through a bunch of plot points/lines.  

I thought it was good too. It's popular to knock Marvel these days (like "nothing can be good since Endgame!") but this looks solid so far. What I find weird is that the same people that dismiss these things were the same ones unquestionably hyping whatever they put out 5 years ago. Ok, not that weird. So few people think for themselves these days, so I guess this isn't any different.

Season 2 of The Bear was so god damned good and 100% lived up to the reviews. When I saw it had a perfect 100 on RT I had my doubts but they really went all in on each character this season. Richie's arc and the extended family episode were my favorites.

I don't jump on a lot of newer shows anymore but IMO it's the best character show since Breaking Bad. And it's hard to think of too many shows that incorporate great music into each scene so accordingly. Chase used to be a killer with that on The Sopranos.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Season 2 of The Bear was so god damned good and 100% lived up to the reviews. When I saw it had a perfect 100 on RT I had my doubts but they really went all in on each character this season. Richie's arc and the extended family episode were my favorites.

I don't jump on a lot of newer shows anymore but IMO it's the best character show since Breaking Bad. And it's hard to think of too many shows that incorporate great music into each scene so accordingly. Chase used to be a killer with that on The Sopranos.

Just finished the Christmas dinner episode last night.  Excellent. Season 2 is way better than season 1.  They found a real nice groove.  

On 6/27/2023 at 8:32 AM, JetPotato said:

I thought it was good too. It's popular to knock Marvel these days (like "nothing can be good since Endgame!") but this looks solid so far. What I find weird is that the same people that dismiss these things were the same ones unquestionably hyping whatever they put out 5 years ago. Ok, not that weird. So few people think for themselves these days, so I guess this isn't any different.

Yeah, I subscribe to  a couple of YouTube channels that cover my knowledge gaps when it comes to the Marvel world.  One if almost always 'rah rah' where the other one is critical.  I am at a point I will watch if it interests me.  If it does not I don't.