Mariota is a bust

Jetsmanjb

I'm confused as to why there's been so much commotion over taking Mariota lately. Some people are suggesting moving up to #2 to take him ? Are they f high ? I understand the argument for moving down but moving up ? I just don't think they really know what they're talking about.

Having fitz and Geno at the quarterback position is enough drama to handle. Adding Mariota will not improve the team whatsoever this year- why pick him when you can add a starter on the o line or at OLB?!? It makes no sense to pick him! I mean I understand why the jets are pretending to be interested- from what I've seen it seems like a total bluff at this point.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need for a new thread but I agree we shouldn't move up and give God knows how many picks to take Mariota.  I think you only do that for a someone who can come in and start from day one; not a system qb who has to learn the basics of a pro style offense.  

Taking Mariota would be a total shot at all the vets we have on the roster and worked so hard to get in free agency. You think Marshall revis mangold Brick Cro harris colon are all gonna be supportive of picking a guy who won't be given a chance to play until they're all out of the league? Yeah ok sure.

Taking Mariota would be a total shot at all the vets we have on the roster and worked so hard to get in free agency. You think Marshall revis mangold Brick Cro harris colon are all gonna be supportive of picking a guy who won't be given a chance to play until they're all out of the league? Yeah ok sure.

This is actually a good point. The perfect guy to complement the current roster is Vic Beasley, because you just turn him loose after the QB. It would be mighty fun watching Brady get pile-driven by Sheldon and Beasley.

I do not like Mariota because he doesn't seem to throw a football with any sort of accuracy anywhere at any time.

I've only watched one or two of those assessment videos on YouTube. But in all of them he seems to lob it up to wide open receivers who smoke the DBs off the line.

Mariota is the antithesis of Jay Cutler, with whom I was enamored when he came out of Vandy. At that point in time, I was impressed with his cannon, and his guts, and the fact that he had the balls to try and make any play despite the defense. I dont think that anyone ever doubted his physical ability. At that point in time, I also talked about how Brady, despite his success, was far inferior to Manning and even Favre, who could literally make something out of nothing. To me, Brady was the system guy, a check down type. He relied on the easiest, open opportunity, rather than be able to make the game on his own. Had a good defense and a clutch kicker and a smart (cheating?) head coach.

I think that i had most of it backwards at that time. The preferential trait in a winning QB is not the do-it-all, because I physically can make any throw type attitude. Instead its the "in this play i can take this decent opportunity which will get us some yards and advance us down the field for another opportunity."

My thoughts regarding Mariota is that, yeah he does take some easy, open plays, but thats a good thing. He doesn't force it. You get an nfl qb some good wideouts and a RB who can catch, and guess what--you get those easy throws, even in the nfl. Moreover, his ability to understand the defense and to dissect plays quickly has never been doubted. Not has his will to learn.

I dont advocate for trading up, i never really do. But i hope we take him at 6 if we get the chance.

Mariota might be a poor man's Aaron Rodgers down the road. Will it happen 100%? Not sure, but even for the chance he might develop into something good, I wouldn't mind trading up if the price isn't crazy. Swap the firsts and give them this year's second and next year's second and be done with it. 

I've only watched one or two of those assessment videos on YouTube. But in all of them he seems to lob it up to wide open receivers who smoke the DBs off the line.

He's just a thrower at this point, not a passer. He just kinda slingshots the ball where he think it needs to be, which is ok in the Oregon offense, but it'll give him 25 picks per year as a pro. Watch how many times his receivers have to stop and adjust on their routes to bring his passes in.

I've been saying this since the beginning. We've got multiple players who've had to live through at least 1 or 2 QB facades -- in which the jets threw some wet behind the ears rookie into fire... and gimme a break. If the Jets draft Mariota, he's forced to start week 1. You can bank on it.... meanwhile Dbrick, Wilk, mangold, Harris, etc will all be like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

This is actually a good point. The perfect guy to complement the current roster is Vic Beasley, because you just turn him loose after the QB. It would be mighty fun watching Brady get pile-driven by Sheldon and Beasley.

We go defense in round 1 again and I'm gonna scream!

I've been saying this since the beginning. We've got multiple players who've had to live through at least 1 or 2 QB facades -- in which the jets threw some wet behind the ears rookie into fire... and gimme a break. If the Jets draft Mariota, he's forced to start week 1. You can bank on it.... meanwhile Dbrick, Wilk, mangold, Harris, etc will all be like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

With respect, who cares...The players are paid to play. Fans might be annoyed to sit through a rookie, or to have the rookie on the bench, but there are already two "viable" so-to-speak qbs on the roster who we expect to start anyway.

Mariota is supposed to be a real mush, too. No personality, quiet, soft-spoken. Brandon Marshall would eat him.

With respect, who cares...The players are paid to play. Fans might be annoyed to sit through a rookie, or to have the rookie on the bench, but there are already two "viable" so-to-speak qbs on the roster who we expect to start anyway.

Hey I get it. They're paid to play... but you and I (hopefully) have had jobs where it sucks... and eventually the money isn't so salient anymore. It's not what you're thinking about when you're looking at the QB sucking ass.. you're thinking - this is fcking bush.

Mariota is the antithesis of Jay Cutler, with whom I was enamored when he came out of Vandy. At that point in time, I was impressed with his cannon, and his guts, and the fact that he had the balls to try and make any play despite the defense. I dont think that anyone ever doubted his physical ability. At that point in time, I also talked about how Brady, despite his success, was far inferior to Manning and even Favre, who could literally make something out of nothing. To me, Brady was the system guy, a check down type. He relied on the easiest, open opportunity, rather than be able to make the game on his own. Had a good defense and a clutch kicker and a smart (cheating?) head coach.

I think that i had most of it backwards at that time. The preferential trait in a winning QB is not the do-it-all, because I physically can make any throw type attitude. Instead its the "in this play i can take this decent opportunity which will get us some yards and advance us down the field for another opportunity."

My thoughts regarding Mariota is that, yeah he does take some easy, open plays, but thats a good thing. He doesn't force it. You get an nfl qb some good wideouts and a RB who can catch, and guess what--you get those easy throws, even in the nfl. Moreover, his ability to understand the defense and to dissect plays quickly has never been doubted. Not has his will to learn.

I dont advocate for trading up, i never really do. But i hope we take him at 6 if we get the chance.

Brady ran a pro offense in MI. Not even close to a good comparison.

He has never called a play in a huddle. He has never taken a snap from under center. He has never gone past his primary or dump off receiver. How bad is the QB situation in the NFL that this kid is being thought of as anything more that a 2nd day project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty sure Woody Johnson cares when he is the one who's paying these players hundreds of millions. If ever did not care then he wouldn't be in the position to employ them.

I'm hoping for Gurley or Melvin Gordon in the second.

I doubt Beasley will be there at six anyway. Even money is Cooper as the pick. In my head.

I'd really be psyched if this happened:

1. Winston

2. Mariota

3. Williams

4. White

5. Cooper/Scherff/Beasley

6. Jets - Dante Fowler Jr.

Snell, i see and get your points. You're just placing a lot more emphasis on those negatives than I am. Hasn't called a play--ok, maybe I'm wrong but i dont really care. Hasn't dropped back--ok, but he's gonna take 80% shotgun in the nfl, and like i said hes coachable, so he will learn.

I disagree with the primary/dump-off situation and i wont argue it with you. I think its negated on his tape and in the experts' talk.

Bottom line i think he can play and can learn what he is lacking. I'm not guaranteeing anything. Most qbs flop...thats the reality. But I'm giving him a chance.

I'm confused as to why there's been so much commotion over taking Mariota lately. Some people are suggesting moving up to #2 to take him ? Are they f high ? I understand the argument for moving down but moving up ? I just don't think they really know what they're talking about.

Having fitz and Geno at the quarterback position is enough drama to handle. Adding Mariota will not improve the team whatsoever this year- why pick him when you can add a starter on the o line or at OLB?!? It makes no sense to pick him! I mean I understand why the jets are pretending to be interested- from what I've seen it seems like a total bluff at this point.

Whats crazy is that I totally read the thread as "Manziel is a bust" and I just came in here to agree then realized that I read the heading wrong. 

And though I agree that we shouldn't trade up for Mariota, I wouldnt say that he's a bust. I wouldnt draft him even if he fell to us, but I dont get "bust" feeling from him like I did a guy like a Manziel. 

pretty sure Woody Johnson cares when he is the one who's paying these players hundreds of millions. If ever did not care then he wouldn't be in the position to employ them.

I'm not sure what you're saying. WJ runs a business. He pays players as part of that business. He doesn't ask said players if they're feelings will be hurt when he drafts someone.

I'm not sure what you're saying. WJ runs a business. He pays players as part of that business. He doesn't ask said players if they're feelings will be hurt when he drafts someone.

However which way you choose to interpret things, the NFL draft and more specifically which players teams draft has an impact on teams.  

For example, if the Giants picked Manziel instead of Beckham Jr. it would have had an impact on their team.   Or better yet if a team takes a kicker in the 2nd round, you think that wouldn't change the mentality of the players on that given team ? 

Woody does run a business and he is not going to shelf out millions to a group of guys that are all near 30 unless he really wanted to win games this year.  Mariota will not help any team in 2015, so it doesn't make sense to take him.  It would be like Woody inadvertently telling his players (who's he's invested everything in) that he doesn't believe in any of them winning so he's giving up on them.  

The qbs we have now coming into camp are:

1 - Geno Smith

2 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 - Matt Simms

If MM is still on the board at number 6 - you do not wait, you do not walk, you run to the podium screaming "YES DEAR GOD WE WANT THE DUCK!"

The qbs we have now coming into camp are:

1 - Geno Smith

2 - Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 - Matt Simms

If MM is still on the board at number 6 - you do not wait, you do not walk, you run to the podium screaming "YES DEAR GOD WE WANT THE DUCK!"

Then you have this:

1. Geno Smith

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick

3. Your sixth overall pick

Yeah I've only watched a few videos myself and that's all I've pretty much seen too. I know it's not a big sample size so I assume I'm missing a lot more than what he has to offer, otherwise he wouldn't widely be discussed as a top 5-6 pick.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Archived