Mariota is a bust

Jetsmanjb

As a Heisman winning QB, Mariota is almost a guarantee as an NFL bust. Only 2 Heisman QB's all-time have won a SB, Staubach and Plunkett. And the last SB won by a Heisman QB  winner was done in the 80's. No question the Jets should not waste the #6 pick on Mariota, And if they trade up for him, I'll know we have another bunch of clowns in charge. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF Mariota is there at 6 you pick him, and see what the Eagles, or Browns, throw at you, we could still trade down, Pick up a Bud Dupree/Vic Beasley and get another 2nd rounder. That's my ideal.

Although I agree with Scoop, I'm not buying the Metzenburger love, Titans all over Mariota @2.

As a Heisman winning QB, Mariota is almost a guarantee as an NFL bust. Only 2 Heisman QB's all-time have won a SB, Staubach and Plunkett. And the last SB won by a Heisman QB  winner was done in the 80's. No question the Jets should not waste the #6 pick on Mariota, And if they trade up for him, I'll know we have another bunch of clowns in charge. 

I don't believe Mike Maccagnan wants Mariota and I don't think he will be there for us at 6 anyway.

Even if Maccagnan DID want Mariota, he wouldn't trade up for him because the price is too high for a team that still has holes to fill. I don't believe any of the teams above us want to use their pick for him, but some are blowing smoke in order precipitate a trade. That is exactly what Maccagnan was doing  this week. He hinted the Jets may trade up to so that if Mariota does fall to us, someone may feel compelled to trade with us. If I were Maccagnan, I would LOVE more picks- especially in my first draft. That said, I am fairly certain someone will trade up above us to select him. Several teams have voiced their interest in this.

Like someone else said- this is going to be popcorn worthy!

when you think about it, every draft pick is going to cause a current player emotional distress.  That poor player is going to have competition for his job and feel rejected !  How can you build a locker room like that ?  Is that a family or a gang of mercenaries ?

I say draft no one just for the sake of harmony, I mean we can't have the players feelings hurt

I don't believe Mike Maccagnan wants Mariota and I don't think he will be there for us at 6 anyway.

Even if Maccagnan DID want Mariota, he wouldn't trade up for him because the price is too high for a team that still has holes to fill. I don't believe any of the teams above us want to use their pick for him, but some are blowing smoke in order precipitate a trade. That is exactly what Maccagnan was doing  this week. He hinted the Jets may trade up to so that if Mariota does fall to us, someone may feel compelled to trade with us. If I were Maccagnan, I would LOVE more picks- especially in my first draft. That said, I am fairly certain someone will trade up above us to select him. Several teams have voiced their interest in this.

Like someone else said- this is going to be popcorn worthy!

There's just no reason to think you have any idea what Maccagnan is thinking.

If he does like he him and beileves he has franchise QB potential he should absolutely go up and trade for him.

when you think about it, every draft pick is going to cause a current player emotional distress.  That poor player is going to have competition for his job and feel rejected !  How can you build a locker room like that ?  Is that a family or a gang of mercenaries ?

I say draft no one just for the sake of harmony, I mean we can't have the players feelings hurt

I think the most important piece to this is - who cares what the players think...From the perspective of - this team isn't winning with them anyway, without a QB - you have to keep taking them until you find one.,

If a thread like this wants to make a case for not drafting Mariotta because they don't believe he's any good - so be it....

But the Jets are still in desperate need of a franchise QB - and the ONLY reason not to take a potential one is because the GM think's he'll be a bust, ALL other reason shouldn't even be discussed - as they have NO relevance.

If he does like he him and beileves he has franchise QB potential he should absolutely go up and trade for him.

There is a reason.

It is called an opinion. I was expressing my opinion in which I make the assumption that Maccagnan is a smart guy.  Next time I will try to remember to begin my post with "IMO".

This is such a ridiculous argument (I know it's not just you - it's all over this site - and I know a lot of people believe it)

But you don't assume a player is going to be a bust because he was voted the the best players in his sport...Becoming an NFL franchise QB is incredibly rare, just because you win the Heisman doesn't mean you're going to be star but to rule them out is just downright silly...

Would you pass on Winston too?

Not a fan, but if the Jets draft him, here's hoping they have a coherent plan for his development. I just don't think he works on the NFL level, at all.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-mariota-vs-ohio-state-2014/

here we agree.  They have to have a kap plan for him.  they have to run the read option.  they have to use his legs.  I would not be on board with trying to make him a pure pocket passer.  my first thoughts on mariota were actually negative, I didn't want a running QB because they get hurt.  Well, QB's get hurt getting sacked, so if you think you can win with the kid, you take him and hope for the best which is what all NFL teams do 

There is a reason.

It is called an opinion. I was expressing my opinion in which I make the assumption that Maccagnan is a smart guy.  Next time I will try to remember to begin my post with "IMO"

so touchy....didn't mean it offensively...

I know what you meant, what I was trying to say is as a new GM we really have little insight into the way he thinks.  You could look at what he's saying and see your thoughts or actually take them at face value - 

Likely by next years draft we'll have a better feel..

I think the most important piece to this is - who cares what the players think...From the perspective of - this team isn't winning with them anyway, without a QB - you have to keep taking them until you find one.,

Any thread like this wants to make a case for not drafting Mariotta because they don't believe he's any good - so be it....

But the Jets are still in a desperate need for a franchise QB - and the only reason not to take a potential one is because the GM think's he'll be a bust, ALL other reason shouldn't even be discussed - as they have NO relevance.

for the recod I think if the jets take him they will let him sit behind harvard and geno.  When the time comes his ready to go or injury forces the jets hands, then so be it.  I think the plan would be to let him watch 8 games at a minimum.  Now if they draft him and declare him the starter on draft day a la sexy rexy, then that would be epic face palm time

You cannot run the read option consistently in the NFL. He's going to have to win games from the pocket.

then it sure is reassuring that real NFL scout bucky brooks said he is an outstanding pocket passer

whew

for the recod I think if the jets take him they will let him sit behind harvard and geno.  When the time comes his ready to go or injury forces the jets hands, then so be it.  I think the plan would be to let him watch 8 games at a minimum.  Now if they draft him and declare him the starter on draft day a la sexy rexy, then that would be epic face palm time

I think he sits the entire year if they take him.  This is a team that can be competitive now with Fitzpatrick level QB play (not winning anything but can be a wildcard hunt)

I would go as far as saying he should be the #3 - so even with an injury he shouldn't be playing..

I think he sits the entire year if they take him.  This is a team that can be competitive now with Fitzpatrick level QB play (not winning anything but can be a wildcard hunt)

I would go as far as saying he should be the #3 - so even with an injury he shouldn't be playing..

a year would be sweet.  a year would be organizational discipline like we haven't seen here in forever.  

He's just a thrower at this point, not a passer. He just kinda slingshots the ball where he think it needs to be, which is ok in the Oregon offense, but it'll give him 25 picks per year as a pro. Watch how many times his receivers have to stop and adjust on their routes to bring his passes in.

True. But he's a sharper guy 3 beers in than Geno SMth will ever be. Mariota has the capacity to learn. Ultimately suspect they'll either go with the BPA or trade down and look at the Bryce Pettys of the world in round 2 or 3. And willing to believe Maccagnan and Bowles know what they're doing way better than whom they replaced. 

Let's all agree-Smith blows unless he is playing the Dolphins the day before trash bag day. He is already  a slap in the face to every other player. Rex Ryan did many stupid things here but far and away the single worst was not benching the Stewardess Fighter after missing a meeting in San Diego. Words cannot convey how sh*tty Smith is, standing each week by himself on the sideline with that clueless look on his dumb freaking face.  He deserves to be cut. 

This is such a ridiculous argument (I know it's not just you - it's all over this site - and I know a lot of people believe it)

But you don't assume a player is going to be a bust because he was voted the the best players in his sport...Becoming an NFL franchise QB is incredibly rare, just because you win the Heisman doesn't mean you're going to be star but to rule them out is just downright silly...

Would you pass on Winston too?

I don't think accounting for the history of Heisman-winning QB's in the NFL is ridiculous in the slightest. If you think it is, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. That history certainly demonstrates that the Heisman is an albatross around the neck of a QB. And no QB needs that. And BTW, there is only one Heisman-winning QB who won the SB for the team that picked him-and that's Staubach.

Absolutely I would pass on Winston too. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to the Jets' QB position "no Heisman winners need apply." 

Not a fan, but if the Jets draft him, here's hoping they have a coherent plan for his development. I just don't think he works on the NFL level, at all.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-mariota-vs-ohio-state-2014/

We have many needs, I am not upset with a trade down if we get great value...ESPN last night has us taking Hundley UCLA QB in 2nd round, if he is still there..

"Whether or not Brett Hundley is one of the top 32 prospects in the draft is debatable, but he's going to be a first-round pick. The Cardinals, Eagles or a team trading up at the end of Round 1 are all potential landing spots for the UCLA QB. He certainly needs to improve his pocket awareness, and a year on the bench learning the game could do wonders for his career. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he has a better career than Marcus Mariota."

True. But he's a sharper guy 3 beers in than Geno SMth will ever be. Mariota has the capacity to learn. Ultimately suspect they'll either go with the BPA or trade down and look at the Bryce Pettys of the world in round 2 or 3. And willing to believe Maccagnan and Bowles know what they're doing way better than whom they replaced.

Let's all agree-Smith blows unless he is playing the Dolphins the day before trash bag day. He is already a slap in the face to every other player. Rex Ryan did many stupid things here but far and away the single worst was not benching the Stewardess Fighter after missing a meeting in San Diego. Words cannot convey how sh*tty Smith is, standing each week by himself on the sideline with that clueless look on his dumb freaking face. He deserves to be cut.

Ha. I'd imagine we'll be starting Fitzpatrick for the bulk of the season anyway, unless there's some crazy Sam Bradford/Glennon/Kaepernick/Cutler trade that no one has seen coming yet. I know our QB situation blows right now, but that can't be factored in to any decision on Mariota, imo. He's gotta be drafted 100% based on their belief that they can turn him into a top-15 QB within the next two years.

We have many needs, I am not upset with a trade down if we get great value...ESPN last night has us taking Hundley UCLA QB in 2nd round, if he is still there..

"Whether or not Brett Hundley is one of the top 32 prospects in the draft is debatable, but he's going to be a first-round pick. The Cardinals, Eagles or a team trading up at the end of Round 1 are all potential landing spots for the UCLA QB. He certainly needs to improve his pocket awareness, and a year on the bench learning the game could do wonders for his career. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he has a better career than Marcus Mariota."

Is that McShay?

Mariota is the antithesis of Jay Cutler, with whom I was enamored when he came out of Vandy. At that point in time, I was impressed with his cannon, and his guts, and the fact that he had the balls to try and make any play despite the defense. I dont think that anyone ever doubted his physical ability. At that point in time, I also talked about how Brady, despite his success, was far inferior to Manning and even Favre, who could literally make something out of nothing. To me, Brady was the system guy, a check down type. He relied on the easiest, open opportunity, rather than be able to make the game on his own. Had a good defense and a clutch kicker and a smart (cheating?) head coach.

I think that i had most of it backwards at that time. The preferential trait in a winning QB is not the do-it-all, because I physically can make any throw type attitude. Instead its the "in this play i can take this decent opportunity which will get us some yards and advance us down the field for another opportunity."

My thoughts regarding Mariota is that, yeah he does take some easy, open plays, but thats a good thing. He doesn't force it. You get an nfl qb some good wideouts and a RB who can catch, and guess what--you get those easy throws, even in the nfl. Moreover, his ability to understand the defense and to dissect plays quickly has never been doubted. Not has his will to learn.

I dont advocate for trading up, i never really do. But i hope we take him at 6 if we get the chance.

Ummmm he barely makes ANY reads.  He literally just throws the ball to the guy the coaches want every play.  I've watched every single game I could on him and RARELY does he every have even 2 progression reads. He doesn't even huddle.  Am I saying that he will never be good?  Absolutely not.  What I am saying is that he has MAJOR unknowns accross the board because the Oregon coaching staff did not ask him to do much.  Watch the tape and look how fast the ball is out, he isn't making decisions, he's just throwing it immediately. Saying that there is no doubt to him being able to understand the defense he is seeing and dissect plays as they are happening is just straight up false.    Watch the tape.

Archived