Wilkerson not present for OTAs

DaBallhawk

Wilkerson makes 7 this year, you can give him a deal starting next year or structure a new deal with a low year 1 total.  

We have very limited young talent on this team.  In 2 years we will be in the same position as this year with a boat load of money under the cap.   Wilkerson has 6-8 more years of ball left in him,  yet we should deal him for picks

Yes you can, but give me a theoretical contract that you believe would be adequate for his services. 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in no way against that. But in regards to some of the contracts that people are talking on this site I will trade Mo Wilkerson and wouldnt think twice about it. 

If it was up to me he'd be a Tampa Bay Buc come draft night. 

You trade Wilkerson for Glennon and Glennon will be demanding a deal that makes Jay Cutler blush.

The numbers are crazy.  Assuming we get something of high quality in return I would have no problem trading him. - very good player, not great - I think this fan base over-hypes him a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot but it's a position of strength for this team and if push comes to shove I would much rather keep Richardson over him.

What are these numbers?

This is all I have seen and all I have posted (from Jason's site):

Defensive End Muhammad Wilkerson is not coming off the kind of season he had in 2013, which should make for an easier negotiation. If they work quickly to extend him they can roll his $6.969 million salary into his new contract guarantee, giving them more long term protection if he plays poorly. It’s a hard position to gauge but he will likely end up as an $11M-$12M a year player and the Jets gain nothing by waiting to extend him.

http://overthecap.com/jets-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Doesn't seem "crazy" to me.

You trade Wilkerson for Glennon and Glennon will be demanding a deal that makes Jay Cutler blush.

What are these numbers?

This is all I have seen and all I have posted (from Jason's site):

http://overthecap.com/jets-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Doesn't seem "crazy" to me.

$12mm a year is a lot of money for a good/not great interior d-lineman.  Especially when you already have a better one on the roster.

You said that as if it would be a bad thing. Atleast it would be for a QB that at this stage in his career is a better option than Jay Cutler. Cutler's deal was a bad one from the start. Its so damn bad that the Bears couldn't even cut him, but have no choice but to deal with his sh*t for yet another year. 

I'd rather have to deal with a sizable QB contract that will dictate games than a role-player's contract that would be overly inflated and possibly miss the playoffs for a 5th year. 

Why are the workouts so early? Also only a handful of guys should be attending. Which are the few that are getting paid like Mangold, Brick, and Geno, all the new faces along with those trying to make the team.

All new coaches get extra time in the CBA to implement their systems

We have the $ going forward, just lock him up and follow suit with Richardson a year from now.  

I get that Jets fans overhype him a bit but im surprised that so many are willing to deal him away for a good value of picks

You never answered my question. How much per do you think Wilk is worth? 

I think that Richardson is more of an impact player, so if we go out and give Wilkerson 12 million per what are we supposed to pay Richardson? 

We have the $ going forward, just lock him up and follow suit with Richardson a year from now.  

I get that Jets fans overhype him a bit but im surprised that so many are willing to deal him away for a good value of picks

Richardson is locked up for the next 3 years when you consider he has a team option.

IMO Wilkerson is doing this a year too early. He's coming off a bad year for him. Have a great year this year and then put the clamps on.

Agreed. He was invisible the last 6 Games of the season last year. If last year was an indicator, Mo is NOT worth breaking the bank for when you already have 2 other DLineman (couples & Shelly) who play just as good & cheaper than Mo.

Mo is crazy if he thinks to sniffs out a contract near $80M with his production thus far. Love the guy, but not worth it if he starts this holdout crap. Jumping the gun.

He's not getting paid. NFL players get game checks. Not a check twice a month or anything.

The term you lack in your vocabulary is WorkOut Bonus.

They are not only compensated by game checks. 1/2 of Bricks salary last year was through workout & attendance bonuses.

And Mo just got a $6M raise, dumb to holdout.

The term you lack in your vocabulary is WorkOut Bonus.

They are not only compensated by game checks. 1/2 of Bricks salary last year was through workout & attendance bonuses.

And Mo just got a $6M raise, dumb to holdout.

Take it down a notch tough guy. Mo doesn't have any workout bonus, or any other kind of bonuses anyway.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

Bottom line, these are optional, yes? Should he go? Yeah probably. I'm not not going to get all wound up because he didn't though.

Take it down a notch tough guy. Mo doesn't have any workout bonus, or any other kind of bonuses anyway.http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets

Bottom line, these are optional, yes? Should he go? Yeah probably. I'm not not going to get all wound up because he didn't though.

Tough guy? Take what down a notch you judgmental poster of dung. You made an erroneous comment and I corrected the asinine garbage that was being spewed which only contributed confusion than enlightenment.

So you take it down a notch by not typing incorrect statements as if they were facts which have to be corrected later on.

No one is getting wound up other than you. I merely pointed out the Grossly Incorrect Lie you typed that players only get paid & compensated during the game season. That is absolutely wrong. Such petulance.

Mo is stupid to hold out because he has NO leverage, 2 players WHO ARE CHEAPER & younger behind him on the depth chart, and his numbers don't validate his stance. Only creates more friction with new regime. Stupid move by Mo

Tough guy? Take what down a notch you judgmental poster of dung. You made an erroneous comment and I corrected the asinine garbage that was being spewed which only contributed confusion than enlightenment.

So you take it down a notch by not typing incorrect statements as if they were facts which have to be corrected later on.

Such petulance.

Except I'm not wrong. Mo doesn't get a bonus at all for anything. You were wrong. Own it.

He's not getting paid. NFL players get game checks. Not a check twice a month or anything.

Except I'm not wrong. Mo doesn't get a bonus at all for anything. You were wrong. Own it.

Mo is getting paid. $6M in 2015 > $1.2M in 2014

The discussion was whether Mo was getting "paid". And you said he isn't. He is.

You brought up the mutually exclusive point of WHEN checks are sent/paid out as part of your getting "paid" argument. It was brought to your naive attention that players are not only compensated by game checks but can be paid for off season activities. Once again you bring in the pointless argument Mo has no workout bonuses, oh simple child, how you lose sight in adult discussions.

I do own it, and OWNED you as well in the process.

Mo is getting paid. $6M in 2015 > $1.2M in 2014

The discussion was whether Mo was getting "paid". And you said he isn't. He is.

You brought up the mutually exclusive point of WHEN checks are sent/paid out as part of your getting "paid" argument. It was brought to your naive attention that players are not only compensated by game checks but can be paid for off season activities. Once again you bring in the pointless argument Mo has no workout bonuses, oh simple child, how you lose sight in adult discussions.

I do own it, and OWNED you as well in the process.

You can keep on saying you're right but that doesn't make it true. Mo doesnt get paid a workout bonus. Period. He gets paid to play 16 games per year. Now, a guy who actually, you know, gets a workout bonus, that's another story. But it's not Mo's story.

Again, should he be there? Probably. But he doesn't have to be.

I am in no way against that. But in regards to some of the contracts that people are talking on this site I will trade Mo Wilkerson and wouldnt think twice about it. 

If it was up to me he'd be a Tampa Bay Buc come draft night. 

Jameis Winston anyone? 

Mo is getting $7M, not $6.  (6.97, I think)

This is what is wrong with the NFLPA.  This is a "voluntary" activity, but he doesn't show up and we act like he doesn't deserve to get paid?  He can use it as a statement that he is borderline holding out?  Imagine some poor 2nd year UDFA.  Imagine Rontez Miles wants to spend the week with his family- he'd be crucified and probably cut.  Doesn't seem optional to me.

No one is getting wound up other than you. I merely pointed out the Grossly Incorrect Lie you typed that players only get paid & compensated during the game season. That is absolutely wrong. Such petulance.

Mo is stupid to hold out because he has NO leverage, 2 players WHO ARE CHEAPER & younger behind him on the depth chart, and his numbers don't validate his stance. Only creates more friction with new regime. Stupid move by Mo

He is not stupid to hold out because he is not holding out. He is just using his right as an NFL player to NOT attend a voluntary workout.  He is just sending a subtle message that he wants to get his deal done and I don't blame him.  The NFL stands for Not For Long and one wrong move and a career can be over just like that.   Now if he doesn't report something that is mandatory like training camp, that would be stupid. 

Mo is getting $7M, not $6.  (6.97, I think)

This is what is wrong with the NFLPA.  This is a "voluntary" activity, but he doesn't show up and we act like he doesn't deserve to get paid?  He can use it as a statement that he is borderline holding out?  Imagine some poor 2nd year UDFA.  Imagine Rontez Miles wants to spend the week with his family- he'd be crucified and probably cut.  Doesn't seem optional to me.

Exactly the NFLPA needs to negiotiate stronger terms or something because these voluntary workouts seem to me viewed as mandatory.   I do understand if you are trying to make the team, every opportunity you get to impress the FO and CS you need to be there.  That is not the case with Wilk. 

Not being there, whether voluntary or not, is NOT good leadership in regards to teammates and is not the ideal way to begin a relationship with a new front office regime and coaching staff.

Yes it is voluntary, but KNOWING the CBA that has been in place since his rookie year, Mo and his agents know he'd be getting a $6M salary raise AND there is mutual interest for a LT deal.

Once Idzik was scrapped, negotiations went back to ground zero and had to start from scratch. $hitty timing for Mo, but such is the NFL. He doesn't HAVE to be there, but what ACTUAL GOOD/BENEFIT derives from him taking this stance and not showing up (could be a personal family matter) which can ONLY drive negotiations FURTHER apart, not closer, with a new GM & CS.

Wilkerson is in an interesting situation, he can push for an extension now and probably

get a deal that averages 10 million a year in new $$$.  Or he can bet on himself and with

QB's having to hold the ball longer because of our lockdown CB's go out and get 12+

sacks.  Then he could get a deal that averages 12+ million a year in new $$$

Archived