Wilkerson not present for OTAs

DaBallhawk

Yes you can, but give me a theoretical contract that you believe would be adequate for his services. 

The Robert Quinn deal which was 6 for 64 and roughly 40 mil guaranteed.  That's his value and is fair to him and the team.   He's consistently graded out as a top 3 3/4 DE.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The numbers are crazy.  Assuming we get something of high quality in return I would have no problem trading him. - very good player, not great - I think this fan base over-hypes him a bit.  Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot but it's a position of strength for this team and if push comes to shove I would much rather keep Richardson over him.

Forget All Pro--he cannot even get to the Pro Bowl.  He is very good.  No question.  But i would have no qualms about trading him for something really good.

Not being there, whether voluntary or not, is NOT good leadership in regards to teammates and is not the ideal way to begin a relationship with a new front office regime and coaching staff.

Yes it is voluntary, but KNOWING the CBA that has been in place since his rookie year, Mo and his agents know he'd be getting a $6M salary raise AND there is mutual interest for a LT deal.

Once Idzik was scrapped, negotiations went back to ground zero and had to start from scratch. $hitty timing for Mo, but such is the NFL. He doesn't HAVE to be there, but what ACTUAL GOOD/BENEFIT derives from him taking this stance and not showing up (could be a personal family matter) which can ONLY drive negotiations FURTHER apart, not closer, with a new GM & CS.

This. New coach, show some damn respect.

Not being there, whether voluntary or not, is NOT good leadership in regards to teammates and is not the ideal way to begin a relationship with a new front office regime and coaching staff.

Yes it is voluntary, but KNOWING the CBA that has been in place since his rookie year, Mo and his agents know he'd be getting a $6M salary raise AND there is mutual interest for a LT deal.

Once Idzik was scrapped, negotiations went back to ground zero and had to start from scratch. $hitty timing for Mo, but such is the NFL. He doesn't HAVE to be there, but what ACTUAL GOOD/BENEFIT derives from him taking this stance and not showing up (could be a personal family matter) which can ONLY drive negotiations FURTHER apart, not closer, with a new GM & CS.

The Jets did not go the extra mile for him and this is just his way of saying he is not going to go the extra mile himself. He has to put the bug in the ear of the team that next year if he is tagged, he will hold out the first ten games. I;m pretty sure  Darius won't be in Bills OTAs either.  If the jets did not have so much cap room this off season I think it would have been less an issue with him.

If Mo's starting point is JJ Watt's deal, this could take a while to play out.  I can see him skipping the mandatory OTAs and perhaps holding out of training camp, which would be bad considering there's a new regime in place.

I think Mo is worth $12 million per year and is durable enough to justify a lot of guaranteed $$.

It worked out very well with Revis. Last time I checked we have Revis and Richardson right now, and truth be told, we could have gotten Revis back last year if it wasnt for Idzik. 

If they kept Revis you really think they were still picking Milliner and not Richardson at 9?

It worked out very well with Revis. Last time I checked we have Revis and Richardson right now, and truth be told, we could have gotten Revis back last year if it wasnt for Idzik. 

Check my post above this. We can argue what ifs all day I guess. I can't believe you guys think they were taking Milliner at 9 with Revis on the roster but  if it's a coping mechanism that works for you then by all means. 

If Wiilliams fell to six, you would draft him to replace Wilkerson and get a #1 in(and potentially a lower pick as well) for Wilk...so yeah, you would be improving the team.

I doubt you'd be getting a Top 20 pick, as much as i love the draft, it's a crap shoot anyway. You don't throw away home grown proven talent like Wilkerson for picks....imo it's a bad investment/risk. 

Check my post above this. We can argue what ifs all day I guess. I can't believe you guys think they were taking Milliner at 9 with Revis on the roster but  if it's a coping mechanism that works for you then by all means. 

There's nothing to argue about. Once you understand my actual point then you'll come to realize that your thinking in regards to what I'm saying isn't quite right. 

I'll give it a minute so you can understand. My prior post should help you out. 

There's nothing to argue about. Once you understand my actual point then you'll come to realize that your thinking in regards to what I'm saying isn't quite right.

I'll give it a minute so you can understand. My prior post should help you out.

Why Is there a hidden message? You think the trade worked out for the Jets in the end. I understand. Glass half full. I love you guys!

The Robert Quinn deal which was 6 for 64 and roughly 40 mil guaranteed.  That's his value and is fair to him and the team.   He's consistently graded out as a top 3 3/4 DE.

Problem for Wilk is there is absolutely no reason for the Jets to do that deal now. He gets $7 million this year and the franchise tag next year will be around $15 million give or take $500K. So we have him for the next 2 years for $22 million, even if applied the tag second time we would be $18 million ish in year 3, or $40 million total. with no year to year risk or long term cap impact.

I love Wilk but Quinn is an All-pro, so you are not giving him Quinn money.

So Wilk is likely looking at around $8-9 million per, with around $30 million guaranteed, and I am sure Wilk is thinking much much higher.

why would Wilkerson come?

he just saw Revis for the last few years hold out a few times with this team , didn't give an inch and still got everything he wanted

Richardson is a better player than Mo.  Who on our team was better at CB than Revis ?

No one has heard what Mo's people have been looking for, and the jets have no real reason to force the issue right now. Mo is a very good DL player. But he's not elite. If he's looking for Suh/Watt type money then the Jets are better off trading him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Mentioned Months ago that Wilkerson should have been resigned already. You simply don't let Elite players of his caliber get close to Free Agency. 

We have plenty of time to resign him - But if this guy goes into the season without a contract we are losing him for nothing. 

Hopefully this just jumpstarts the negotiations. You need to go into the draft knowing if he is resign-able because if he wants Suh or Watt money its the best time to trade him. 

I Mentioned Months ago that Wilkerson should have been resigned already. You simply don't let Elite players of his caliber get close to Free Agency.

We have plenty of time to resign him - But if this guy goes into the season without a contract we are losing him for nothing.

Hopefully this just jumpstarts the negotiations. You need to go into the draft knowing if he is resign-able because if he wants Suh or Watt money its the best time to trade him.

Wilk is NOT elite. He may be very good. But that is all.. Elite players don't disappear 6 games towards the end of the season. Elite is top notch game play consistently season after season. Example: Revis.

Yes. Which is why this isn't urgent.

Judging by the thread I thought by him not showing up today he declared himself a free agent and was the newest addition to the Patriots. Idzik would never have let this happen.

Judging by the thread I thought by him not showing up today he declared himself a free agent and was the newest addition to the Patriots. Idzik would never have let this happen.

You know people as well as I do here. Panic until they induce a panic attack in everyone who can't logically think for themselves.

Archived