If you could change the outcome of one play, which would it be?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you'll be glad to know you're not (totally) crazy...Alex VanDyke did indeed have 1 reception in the 1998 AFC CG, which he did indeed fumble after catching according to NFL stats:

http://www.nfl.com/player/alexvandyke/2503446/gamelogs?season=1998

But to call a guy that had 5 total receptions that year a 'good role player'? LOL..

Really? 5 rec all year? I'm losing it. Ha

Wayne Gretzky's high stick on Doug Gilmour in overtime of game six of the 1993 conference finals. Although NHL rules called for an automatic major penalty and an ejection, Kerry Fraser chose not to make the call. Gretzky scored seconds later, and the Kings went on to win the series.

Years later, Fraser told reporters "I was screened on the play, the replays clearly show that". Note that replay actually shows that he had a clear view of the play and was looking right at it.

I could have sworn it was van dyke...I don't remember byars fumble.

We were driving late in game...I remember being crushed...just crushed. I felt bad for van dyke more than I was pissed at him because he was a good player all year for us.

At the 2h 40m 21s mark, Van Dyke does indeed fumble.  And it was a meaningful play.  We were down 20-10 early in the 4th and driving.  I still feel like the not covering McCaffrey play was the bigger deal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPswNGX5x4U&feature=youtu.be&t=2h40m21s

At the 2h 40m 21s mark, Van Dyke does indeed fumble.  And it was a meaningful play.  We were down 20-10 early in the 4th and driving.  I still feel like the not covering McCaffrey play was the bigger deal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPswNGX5x4U&feature=youtu.be&t=2h40m21s

You can't boil the 98 AFC champsionship down to 1 play.  Jets had 6 turnovers, 4 fumbles, and couldn't run the ball for their lives.  It's no surprise they lost.  Take away the blocked punt and that game is a lopsided blowout.  They came closer to winning in 2009 and 2010 than 1998 because in '98 they beat themselves AND got beat by the Broncos.

I also have to give an honorable mention to the 2009 AFC Championship game.  Peyton Manning completed that long pass over Drew Coleman's outstretched arms to set up a touchdown right before halftime.  The game turned on that play.  I'd change that to an incompletion and the Jets go into halftime up 17-6 with the momentum still in their hands.

Wouldn't have mattered.  The Jets didn't have the horses to beat Manning.  After Revis that secondary was average on its best day.  JMO of course.

Van dykes fumble in 98 AFCCG?

I put the question mark because I can't remember too clearly, but I think we were driving the ball down broncos throat at the time and driving for the go-ahead score.

Hey bitonti...lives were ruined on Gastineau sack? I must have missed that thread.

Didn't the Jets have five other TO's that day?  One of the sloppiest games I've ever seen.  Couldn't believe what a wreck they were.  INT's/Fumbles all over the place.

Marino fake spike.  My mother still tells me she misses that coffee table.  

Still remember the radio call..."Aaron Glenn standing there like a house on the side of the road"....Marino's 63-0 (or whatever it was) finale is one of my favorite memories of all time.

If you're a jets fan there was nothing worse than Vinny rupturing his Achilles in 1999. We win the Super Bowl that year if not for that.

Yep.  I was at the Redskins Cowboys opener with a friend of mine in the media.  It was Champ Bailey's rookie debut and Michael Irvin snatched the game winner over time touchdown in his face.  I actually got to meet Deion Sanders after the game at a media function.  Found out about Vinny on the ride home.  Horrible.  

2010 Championship Game.  Opening drive of the game -- Steelers have 3rd and 7 around their own 35.  Roethlisberger pass is incomplete, but flag is thrown on Cromartie for illegal contact to extend the drive.  That is the play I would change.  Instead of a 3 and out, Steelers go on to a 15+ play 10 minute scoring drive.  If we could have gotten off the field on that opening drive and gotten the ball, maybe we win the game.  Instead our D gets gassed on that opening drive and never quite recovers.

I have often thought about that one play.  If the ref doesn't throw that flag, the outcome may have been different.

Didn't the Jets have five other TO's that day? One of the sloppiest games I've ever seen. Couldn't believe what a wreck they were. INT's/Fumbles all over the place.

Yeah, I guess but, for some reason, that play is the memory that I remember as us getting in the game was wiped out. I remember thinking "game over" after that play.

We would have crushed ATL in SB.

AFC Championship game 2011 - Steelers late 4th down conversion in Jet territory.

We win that game if they come up with the stop.

Rex never came out and said it but I think it was Drew Coleman who blew the coverage on the TE...that was brutal.

Archived