If you could change the outcome of one play, which would it be?

TuscanyTile2

No team with Vinny Testaverde at QB was a slam dunk for a super bowl.  The guy had a magical season in 1998, but he was a turnover machine and not exactly a clutch performer.  The way he gets glorified around here you would think nobody ever saw him play outside of 1998.  I guess you guys all love Charlie Weiss because otherwise you wouldn't have expected much more than you got in 2000 and 2001. .

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Van dykes fumble in 98 AFCCG?

I put the question mark because I can't remember too clearly, but I think we were driving the ball down broncos throat at the time and driving for the go-ahead score.

Hey bitonti...lives were ruined on Gastineau sack? I must have missed that thread.

I think you mean Keith Byars fumble?

OMG.  That was the most WTF play ever.  It was first down too, right?  Diving for a 1st on 1st?  unreal

what happened to Vinny in 99 .

That is the one I was going to mention.  I was not a jets fan back then but from how people talked about that play and year it basically dumped a super bowl caliber team before the season really got started.

Rex never came out and said it but I think it was Drew Coleman who blew the coverage on the TE...that was brutal.

To correct all of the facts on that one, to the best of my knowledge:

It was a 3rd down play, around midfield.  The completion went to Antonio Brown, and it was friggin David Harris (good work Rex) who was tasked with trying to cover the speedy Brown dragging all the way across the field.  

I did truly feel that if the Jets stopped them on that play, the way they were going on offense, they could have gone down the field and scored in the final 100 seconds or however much was left.

http://deadspin.com/if-you-could-change-the-outcome-of-one-play-which-woul-1695280195

Yesterday, commenter “Norm Charlatan” wrote that if he had the power, he’d travel back in time and make it so Gordon Hayward’s half-court buzzer-beating heave in the 2010 championship game went in instead of rimming out. That’s a damned good hypothetical.

So let’s open it up. If you could go back and change the outcome of a single play in any historical sporting event, which one would it be, and why? Answers in the comments.

(You’re probably going to either pick one that would have made for an objectively better story, like handing Butler the win over Duke, or you’re going to pick one that would have helped your favorite team. Either is cool; you’re the omnipotent time-traveler here.)

I am a Duke fan/alum, and even I was secretly hoping that Hayward's shot would go in. 

My vote, though, is that Eli's pass doinks off Tyree's helment and lands in the arms of James Sanders. 

Have to give it to Hakeem.   How many centers get out there to deflect a 3 pointer?

akeem was my idol.  I wore #34 for him.  those finals were very bitter sweet for me.  I knew in my heart he would outplay patrick in the end

2001 World Series. Mariano Rivera doesn't throw the ball into centerfield in the 9th and they turn they double play and win their 4th straight World Series, 5th in 6th years and bring the World Series trophy back to post 9-11 NYC.

Baseball blows. Curling is more exciting.

The sooner the American Naptime finally reaches the end of it's slow death... the better.

162 games of 3 and 1/2 hour boredom does not translate well to impatient younger generations that are glued to their iphones.

For me it would be that play from about 9 years ago where Brad Smith held on to the ball too long, causing his own sack.  That play directly led to our idiot coaching staff cutting Marko Cavka.

And Cavka did exactly WHAT? That is what you come up with? Losing out on the immortal Marco Cavka? Sheesh.

Baseball blows. Curling is more exciting.

The sooner the American Naptime finally reaches the end of it's slow death... the better.

162 games of 3 and 1/2 hour boredom does not translate well to impatient younger generations that are glued to their iphones.

With a soccer avatar?   I'm not a huge baseball fan, but if it weren't for all the grappa and espressi, those games could be intolerable.  They wear the ads on their shirts to save time.

No team with Vinny Testaverde at QB was a slam dunk for a super bowl. The guy had a magical season in 1998, but he was a turnover machine and not exactly a clutch performer. The way he gets glorified around here you would think nobody ever saw him play outside of 1998. I guess you guys all love Charlie Weiss because otherwise you wouldn't have expected much more than you got in 2000 and 2001. .

You neglect to mention Vinny was a different player when he had Keyshawn in his prime. Vinny was never great at making reads or had great accuracy but could throw the ball downfield and Keyshawn in his prime could get separation and make difficult catches in the streak and post routes.

After we lost Keyshawn Vinny never had a receiver like that and our passing offense fell apart.

2010 Championship Game. Opening drive of the game -- Steelers have 3rd and 7 around their own 35. Roethlisberger pass is incomplete, but flag is thrown on Cromartie for illegal contact to extend the drive. That is the play I would change. Instead of a 3 and out, Steelers go on to a 15+ play 10 minute scoring drive. If we could have gotten off the field on that opening drive and gotten the ball, maybe we win the game. Instead our D gets gassed on that opening drive and never quite recovers.

I have often thought about that one play. If the ref doesn't throw that flag, the outcome may have been different.

Yup I just mentioned that same penalty on Cro in the thread about which year was the best shot for the Jets to win the SB. The ref doesn't throw a flag there and very good possibility it's a different game.

I remember there being a handful of other 3rd downs where we had a good shot at getting them off the field (mainly in the 1st half) and there was a flag thrown, or Ben runs for a first or he scrambles, sheds a sack and eventually finds an open receiver for a first down. There were so many close plays that just didn't go our way that game......still hurts.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

John Starks hits the winning jumper against the Rockets in Game 6 of the '94 Championship!

That one H-U-R-T BAD!

This. It was the first play that came to mind when I saw this thread. I can't think of 1 play that would of made a difference in the Jets winning a SB or not......but if Starks hits that 3 then game over, series over, Knicks are champs.

He had a hell of a 4th quarter in that game 6 too......without him we aren't even in striking distance to win it. Feel bad for the guy, if Olajuwon doesn't get a finger tip on the ball I think he makes it.....Starks was on fire!

For the Jets I'd probably choose Vinny tearing up his knee on opening day in 99. Going into that season I felt that was our year, we were so close the year before, and with Elway retiring it basically made us the deepest/strongest team in the AFC.

Vinny going down for the season with that injury was probably the most deflated I've felt in all my years as a Jets fan. The Championship Games hurt as well......but man I had so much hope and optimism for that 99 team.

Other than Vinny's injury I would probably chose the kickoff in the 98 AFCCG where the wind took it and Denver recovered. That was a huge turning point as we still had the lead at that point and a nice long drive where we end it with a TD could've gone a long way to winning that game.

Hakeem wore 34 for Charles Oakley.

This. HELL YEAH!!! Oak was the man. I really miss those 90s Knicks teams from the start of the decade with the bruisers like Oak and Mason to accompany Ewing, Starks, etc to the late 90s teams with LJ, Houston, Spree, Camby, etc.

The Knicks of the past 15 years or so have been tough to watch. I'm not confident Phil can get the job done either. Trading Chandler for next to nothing, taking on Calderon's 3 year deal just to get rid of Felton when later in the season Mozgov (sp?) was traded for two 1sts, giving up Shump for nothing just to dump JR and not even getting the 1st from Cleveland in the deal, etc. I just hope he picks the right player with whatever pick he ends up with (probably a lock it's a top 3).

2010 AFCCG. Jets backed up around their own 15 down 17-0 with 90 seconds left in the 1st half, 3rd and 17...

Instead of running a draw and setting up to punt, Schitthead called a high risk and low reward 7-step drop for Mark. Strip-sack TD. Game outta reach.

Jets come back and win that game even with the goaline fiasco if they punt there.

Told this story many times. I was at that game with my father in the upper deck. Seconds before the snap I turned to my father and said "draw and punt right?" He said, "yup."

Damnit I hate Schitty.

Archived