Which Jets team since 1982 had the best chance to win the SB

TuscanyTile2

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jets team (since 1980) had the best chance to win the superbowl?

• 1983 Jets: Mud Bowl loss in Miami. (WAS beat MIA in SB)
    • 1986 Jets: Beat KC in WC then Gastineau cost us the Cleveland game. (NYG beat DEN in SB)
    • 1998 Jets: Beat Jax in Divisional game. Lost to Denver in AFC CG. (DEN beat ATL in SB)
    • 1999 Jets (by request): Vinny hurt on opening day. Missed playoffs. (RAM beat TEN in SB)
    • 2004 Jets: Beat SD in WC. Lost to PIT in Divisional game. (NE beat PHI in SB)
    • 2009 Jets: Beat CIN in WC. Beat SD in Divisonal game. lost to IND in AFC CG. (NO beat IND in SB)
    • 2010 Jets: Beat IND in WC. Beat NE in Divisional game. Lost to PIT in AFC CG (GB beat PIT in SB)

Pennington would not have thrown for 100 yards against the 2009 or 2010 teams.  The 1998 team had that game in the bank and spit it up.  I go for 83.  Freeman was beasting when that old **** tried to get even for Super Bowl III by leaving the tarp off.  My Dad bought a VCR to tape those games.  I still have them somewhere.  200+ against Oakland and 100+ against Cincy.  Wasn't that really the '82 team?  ******* strike year.  The Jets have had some of their best years with strikes and lockouts.  The '86 team was my favorite though.  They had too many injuries to pull off the next two games.  If they were healthy they were the best team in the league IMO.

• Upvote 1

Pennington would not have thrown for 100 yards against the 2009 or 2010 teams.  The 1998 team had that game in the bank and spit it up.  I go for 83.  Freeman was beasting when that old **** tried to get even for Super Bowl III by leaving the tarp off.  My Dad bought a VCR to tape those games.  I still have them somewhere.  200+ against Oakland and 100+ against Cincy.  Wasn't that really the '82 team?  ******* strike year.  The Jets have had some of their best years with strikes and lockouts.  The '86 team was my favorite though.  They had too many injuries to pull off the next two games.  If they were healthy they were the best team in the league IMO.

Kenny never won a playoff game it's rough to get to the Bowl that way..

Kenny never won a playoff game it's rough to get to the Bowl that way..

Very true.  And even though I didn't like him, Paul MacGuire (sp?) said even before our losing streak (when we were 10-1) that the Jets were a house of cards.  He was correct though Pat Ryan was a quality backup IMO.

Very true.  And even though I didn't like him, Paul MacGuire (sp?) said even before our losing streak (when we were 10-1) that the Jets were a house of cards.  He was correct though Pat Ryan was a quality backup IMO.

Paul MacGuire was an a$$hole.  He was also an idiot punter.  He was saying that from like week 2.  He probably was wrong more than he was right even that year.  The team lost because of injuries. They lost Klecko, Mehl, Gastineau, Lyons and even the Almighty Russell Carter for spells down the stretch.  

Which 11 year-old sh*tbird voted for 2010?

2010 was a considerably better team than 2004. Better coached too.

Which 11 year-old sh*tbird voted for 2010?

Jets were worse than both Indy and Pitt (which is why we lost) and if somehow we did beat them we would've gotten destroyed in the Super Bowl by NO and GB. Technically we were close but in all reality we didn't have a shot either year lol

I didn't see Jets football in the 80s so can't speak for '82 or '86 but, the only Jets teams I consider "Super Bowl caliber" were 1998, 1999, and 2010.

'98 was a very good team, probably the best in my lifetime.  But it wasn't expected to be that good going into the season.  Once Vinny took over things sort of just fell into place.  But not getting home field advantage hurt.  If only Vinny had started the season.

'99 we were locked and loaded going into it, all the guns back from '98, with Elway out of our way, going into the season and then in week 1 it all fell apart with injuries.

2010 makes the cut despite Sanchez, because of all the offensive weapons he had that year, plus the D had Revis, Cro, and veterans such as Shaun Ellis, Jason Taylor, and Trevor Pryce.  Tannenbaum mortgaged the future to make a run at it that one year.  They came out flat againstl\ Pittsburgh and weren't able to replace some of the guys they lost after that year.

The 2004 team did ok considering Pennington's shoulder was hanging by a thread and Herm Edwards was a terrible in-game coach.

OP mismarked the choices (82 NOT 83)- the 1982 team was the best team the Jets have had besides the SB team.  F*cking Cheater Shula pulling the tarp off on the Orange Bowl was far worse than anything Belicheat ever did.

That's what I went with. 

What a game that would have been.  The Sack Exchange vs the Hogs...

For the gray beards out there, people sometimes forget that the 1969 team, defending Superbowl champs, went 10-4 and pretty much dominated the AFL East.  They lost 13-6 to the Chiefs at Shea in 40 mph winds.  Namath threw 3 picks and the Jets had multiple chances to win the game in the 2H but kept making mistakes.  There's alot of parallels here to the 1998 Denver game.  The Chiefs wound up beating the Raiders and then destroying the Vikings (remember Joe Kapp?)  in SB IV.  No doubt any of those AFL playoff teams would have beat the Vikings...

• Upvote 2

98-99.  Make a case for either one.  2009 and 2010 as fun as it was I never once thought we were winning a damn thing.  Awesome to watch the post season games with my sons.  But can't say I thought we had a chance to win it all.  

You can tell there are youngsters on here because the 82 team would have BLOWN OUT that Skins team!

That would have been a huge mismatch on a perfect Superbowl field.

Sack exchange would have stopped Riggins & wreaked havoc on the QB.

On offense the Jets were fast as hell, that's why Shula let the field get muddy. Such a shame because it really was outright cheating.

Those field conditions would absolutely never be acceptable in todays NFL.

Such a GREAT team.

I use to get the videos from NFL films that recapped the year & that one bothers the sh*t out of me. It starts with the camera panning the field & you can see like 5" of water. I had just walked into a friends house with a case of beer & he said "look what that motherf*cker Shula did, look at the field".

So I'm standing there looking & guys are literally using giant squeechies trying to move water off the field.

Go back & do some research on that team.

They beat a tremendous Raider team on the road with 2 Lance Mehl interceptions the 2nd one clinching the win.

• Upvote 3

I voted 2010 because we lost to the stealers in the AFC championship game but really should have won that one (Stealers failed to score after the half and we were coming back) If Sanchez played a better half than he did or if our defense played anything close to their second half performance in the first half we would have won that game. The packers I believe beat us earlier in the regular season however I also believe that was the year we held them to three field goals and 0 TDs so I think we would have had a decent shot at them as well.

I initially voted for 2004, because the roster was loaded with talent, especially on the lines, and was mismanaged by Herm.  Perhaps if Chad's shoulder was 2002 caliber, we would have gotten a bit further.  But then, the Pats were still excellent that year and probably would have Pats'd us.

For anyone willing to do this to themselves, here is the full 1998 AFC Championship game:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPswNGX5x4U

After watching a bit of that game, it didn't take long to remember how god damn competent that offense was.  Just look at Vinny drop back, make his read, and sling it.  Aside from early '08 Favre, and 2002 Pennington, when the hell have we ever seen that?  Unfathomable that it's been so long.

Anyway, the '98 team is probably the right choice.  Especially since the final destination was a Falcons team that we pasted in the regular season.  1999 is too much of a what-if to pick.  2009 we were terrible in much of the regular season.  2010 is more possible than Tom Shane would admit.  I am admittedly too young to weigh in on '83 and '86.