Which Jets team since 1982 had the best chance to win the SB

TuscanyTile2

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jets team (since 1980) had the best chance to win the superbowl?

• 1983 Jets: Mud Bowl loss in Miami. (WAS beat MIA in SB)
    • 1986 Jets: Beat KC in WC then Gastineau cost us the Cleveland game. (NYG beat DEN in SB)
    • 1998 Jets: Beat Jax in Divisional game. Lost to Denver in AFC CG. (DEN beat ATL in SB)
    • 1999 Jets (by request): Vinny hurt on opening day. Missed playoffs. (RAM beat TEN in SB)
    • 2004 Jets: Beat SD in WC. Lost to PIT in Divisional game. (NE beat PHI in SB)
    • 2009 Jets: Beat CIN in WC. Beat SD in Divisonal game. lost to IND in AFC CG. (NO beat IND in SB)
    • 2010 Jets: Beat IND in WC. Beat NE in Divisional game. Lost to PIT in AFC CG (GB beat PIT in SB)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I initially voted for 2004, because the roster was loaded with talent, especially on the lines, and was mismanaged by Herm.  Perhaps if Chad's shoulder was 2002 caliber, we would have gotten a bit further.  But then, the Pats were still excellent that year and probably would have Pats'd us.

For anyone willing to do this to themselves, here is the full 1998 AFC Championship game:  

After watching a bit of that game, it didn't take long to remember how god damn competent that offense was.  Just look at Vinny drop back, make his read, and sling it.  Aside from early '08 Favre, and 2002 Pennington, when the hell have we ever seen that?  Unfathomable that it's been so long.

Anyway, the '98 team is probably the right choice.  Especially since the final destination was a Falcons team that we pasted in the regular season.  1999 is too much of a what-if to pick.  2009 we were terrible in much of the regular season.  2010 is more possible than Tom Shane would admit.  I am admittedly too young to weigh in on '83 and '86.

While I agree we would have beaten them, when we played them in the regular season their starting QB Chandler was hurt and didn't play..

Oh, and if we're going to include a what-if team that didn't make the playoffs "due to an injury"....

The 2008 Jets before Favre got hurt were absolutely ROLLING.

I have posted this like 4 times in the past 2 days, but I disagree.  IMO the 2008 Jets may be the single most overrated team around here.  Favre's "injury"  didn't get diagnosed until it was convenient to blame all losses on it.  He had a "torn" biceps tendon which sounds serious, but we never heard what kind of surgery it required.  In fact, we know it wasn't major.  Elway apparently had a similar injury and didn't even have it repaired prior to winning some super bowls.  That team played a cupcake schedule. Chiefs, Rams, Bengals, Seahawks were all historically bad.  They did beat an excellent Titans team and crush the Cards, but otherwise?  Eh.  They were middle of the pack defensively and turnover prone on offense even before the "injury"

You can tell there are youngsters on here because the 82 team would have BLOWN OUT that Skins team!

That would have been a huge mismatch on a perfect Superbowl field.

Sack exchange would have stopped Riggins & wreaked havoc on the QB.

On offense the Jets were fast as hell, that's why Shula let the field get muddy. Such a shame because it really was outright cheating.

Those field conditions would absolutely never be acceptable in todays NFL.

Such a GREAT team.

I use to get the videos from NFL films that recapped the year & that one bothers the sh*t out of me. It starts with the camera panning the field & you can see like 5" of water. I had just walked into a friends house with a case of beer & he said "look what that motherf*cker Shula did, look at the field".

So I'm standing there looking & guys are literally using giant squeechies trying to move water off the field.

Go back & do some research on that team.

They beat a tremendous Raider team on the road with 2 Lance Mehl interceptions the 2nd one clinching the win.

I was looking at the #'s for that team.

Pat Leahy was historically awful.  Made under 65% of his Field goals, and missed 5 PATS.  I know that he cost the Jets that second Miami game, which would have given the Jets homefield against them in the playoffs.

98. Jets beat themselves against Denver. For shame.

I went back and watched that whole game recently.  The Jets completely dominated the 1st half and had nothing to show for it.  Then they go up 10-0 and a blown coverage and Dave Meggett watching a kickoff land 15 yards in front of him and they are all of a sudden behind.

They had already crushed Atlanta that year and would likely have done the same if they had gotten past Denver.

the play in denver that I always remember is the denver KO that got caught in the wind and came down on the jets 31 yard line and the broncos recovered a farrior fumble.    that was basically the "it's not our day" play where the jets just lost belief in my opinion

the broncos had just scored to make it 10-7, then after that gift scored again to make it 10-10 but it started the "oh no" thing and it started the tidal wave 3rd quarter

watching the video at the 2:09:50 mark you see elam celebrating like the kick was intentionally short.  I had forgotten that

****ers

'98 Jets - not even close.

We were 30 minutes away in Denver before the game blew up in our faces.

And we would have beat Atlanta.

Yup I go

1. 1998 - We were less than 2 quarters away from the SB and would of destroyed Atlanta like we did earlier in the season and like Denver did.

2. 1999 - The Testaverde injury opening day killed our shot immediately, but that team had the talent barring injuries. I put 98 over 99 because Atlanta would be a sure W, 99 Rams would of been a tough game.

3. 2008 - Favre stays healthy and we have a real shot at winning the SB. We were the hottest team after beating NE in Foxboro and the undefeated Titans in Tennessee back to back, but Favre tearing his shoulder up and Jenkins injury derailed our chances.

I'm on Tapatalk so unable to vote or see the choices......I was born at the end of 82 so any team in the 80s I really can't comment on. 09 and 10 Rex had them overachiever and besides the first Cinncy Wild Card game in 09 we were underdogs for all the playoff games.

Now IF Favre returned to the Jets in 09 instead of "retiring" and eventually go to Minnesota I think that could of been our best chance. Rex was a better coach than Mangini and we had the #1 D and run game, add in Favre had a GREAT 09 season in MIN, if he gives us 75% of that performance I think we win it all. We'll never know how it would of turned out if he did come back unfortunately, which sucks.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

For the gray beards out there, people sometimes forget that the 1969 team, defending Superbowl champs, went 10-4 and pretty much dominated the AFL East.  They lost 13-6 to the Chiefs at Shea in 40 mph winds.  Namath threw 3 picks and the Jets had multiple chances to win the game in the 2H but kept making mistakes.  There's alot of parallels here to the 1998 Denver game.  The Chiefs wound up beating the Raiders and then destroying the Vikings (remember Joe Kapp?)  in SB IV.  No doubt any of those AFL playoff teams would have beat the Vikings...

I agree. That was a very tough NY Jets team. That D was brutal. That KC team was tough too. Thus they won the SB, convincingly.

The 82 team was my selection. The OL was quite productive and that D was hitting everything (Blinka) in sight. Todd lost his confidence after that game imo.

For the gray beards out there, people sometimes forget that the 1969 team, defending Superbowl champs, went 10-4 and pretty much dominated the AFL East.  They lost 13-6 to the Chiefs at Shea in 40 mph winds.  Namath threw 3 picks and the Jets had multiple chances to win the game in the 2H but kept making mistakes.  There's alot of parallels here to the 1998 Denver game.  The Chiefs wound up beating the Raiders and then destroying the Vikings (remember Joe Kapp?)  in SB IV.  No doubt any of those AFL playoff teams would have beat the Vikings...

I was 14 and was at the '69 KC game with my Dad, sitting in the bleacher seats in front of the scoreboard. What a bummer!!!!

the play in denver that I always remember is the denver KO that got caught in the wind and came down on the jets 31 yard line and the broncos recovered a farrior fumble.    that was basically the "it's not our day" play where the jets just lost belief in my opinion

the broncos had just scored to make it 10-7, then after that gift scored again to make it 10-10 but it started the "oh no" thing and it started the tidal wave 3rd quarter

Vinny passed for 356 yds to Elways 173 however their big gun ran for 173 yds compared to our water pistols 14 yds.. :puke2:

Pennington would not have thrown for 100 yards against the 2009 or 2010 teams.  The 1998 team had that game in the bank and spit it up.  I go for 83.  Freeman was beasting when that old **** tried to get even for Super Bowl III by leaving the tarp off.  My Dad bought a VCR to tape those games.  I still have them somewhere.  200+ against Oakland and 100+ against Cincy.  Wasn't that really the '82 team?  ******* strike year.  The Jets have had some of their best years with strikes and lockouts.  The '86 team was my favorite though.  They had too many injuries to pull off the next two games.  If they were healthy they were the best team in the league IMO.

Even though I voted that 1983 was the Jets best shot, I am not sure the Jets would have beaten Miami even on a dry field. In the opener the Fins clocked the Jets 45-28 and beat them three times that season. Jets simply didn't match up well with Miami that year. In 1986 the Jets defense was held together with bailing wire and Gastineau took too much blame for the Browns game. Johnny Lynn dropped TWO interceptions after that. The 1998 Jets had a wind blown kickoff go to Denver and lost four fumbles that day. If Jets D (BARF Scott) had showed up in 2010 against Pittsburgh I think Jets had a shot against GB who beat them 9-0 that season with a LOT of help from the officials who ruled TWO GB interceptions as guys lay on the field. 

Vinny passed for 356 yds to Elways 173 however their big gun ran for 173 yds compared to our water pistols 14 yds.. :puke2:

of course, it makes perfect sense.

the jets were intent on stopping elway, and the broncos were intent on stopping martin

every team did that to the jets

they dared TO prone vinny to bet them in the air while they focused on the teams best player

broncos were right that day

which 2 players that played that day are in the HOF ?

it makes perfect sense

Even though I voted that 1983 was the Jets best shot, I am not sure the Jets would have beaten Miami even on a dry field. In the opener the Fins clocked the Jets 45-28 and beat them three times that season. Jets simply didn't match up well with Miami that year. In 1986 the Jets defense was held together with bailing wire and Gastineau took too much blame for the Browns game. Johnny Lynn dropped TWO interceptions after that. The 1998 Jets had a wind blown kickoff go to Denver and lost four fumbles that day. If Jets D (BARF Scott) had showed up in 2010 against Pittsburgh I think Jets had a shot against GB who beat them 9-0 that season with a LOT of help from the officials who ruled TWO GB interceptions as guys lay on the field. 

Yeah.  I don't disagree with much of this.  I think the 2004 team may have been the weakest listed.  I am not as harsh on the 2010 D as you.  I put plenty of blame on the O and Sanchez spitting that ball up. 16 plays in the first 4 drives is hard for any D to overcome.  I know you don't all agree with me, but that is how I see it.  As for the #theycameoutflat brigade, why doesn't Parcells get more heat for the collapse in 1998?  The wind? 

of course, it makes perfect sense.

the jets were intent on stopping elway, and the broncos were intent on stopping martin

every team did that to the jets

they dared TO prone vinny to bet them in the air while they focused on the teams best player

broncos were right that day

which 2 players that played that day are in the HOF ?

it makes perfect sense

Vinny had the better year in 1998 then Elway yet the Bronco's were worried about the 3.5 ypc 8 td Martin and the Jets weren't worried at all about Davis and his 2,000+yd 21 td 5.1 ypc 98 stats.. Makes perfect sense if your a Martinette I suppose.. :animal0029:

Vinny had the better year in 1998 then Elway yet the Bronco's were worried about the 3.5 ypc 8 td Martin and the Jets weren't worried at all about Davis and his 2,000+yd 21 td 5.1 ypc 98 stats.. Makes perfect sense if your a Martinette I suppose.. :animal0029:

you are missing the point.  the stats are they way they are because every team every week loaded up to stop martin

send me a pm when vinny gets in the hall, lol

you are missing the point.  the stats are they way they are because every team every week loaded up to stop martin

send me a pm when vinny gets in the hall, lol

And no one tried to stop Terrell Davis?? Hey Vinny has more tds and passing yardage then Montana send me a pm when compiling stats means more then playing well in the playoffs..LOL

Yeah. I don't disagree with much of this. I think the 2004 team may have been the weakest listed. I am not as harsh on the 2010 D as you. I put plenty of blame on the O and Sanchez spitting that ball up. 16 plays in the first 4 drives is hard for any D to overcome. I know you don't all agree with me, but that is how I see it. As for the #theycameoutflat brigade, why doesn't Parcells get more heat for the collapse in 1998? The wind?

Plus in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh a couple of their first drives were extended early on due to cheap defensive holding calls on 3rd down (1 by Cro I believe if I remember correctly). They were forcing the Steelers into 3rd downs but between some penalties, Big Ben running for first downs, etc it just killed them. Then the offense goes 3 and out, giving the D no rest, and that strip sack on 3rd and long late in the first half for a TD topped off a terrible first half.

Plus in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh a couple of their first drives were extended early on due to cheap defensive holding calls on 3rd down (1 by Cro I believe if I remember correctly). They were forcing the Steelers into 3rd downs but between some penalties, Big Ben running for first downs, etc it just killed them. Then the offense goes 3 and out, giving the D no rest, and that strip sack on 3rd and long late in the first half for a TD topped off a terrible first half.

That was the game losing play right there..

Vinny was the man though. No denying that. I have no Ill will towards him at all. In my mind, he's still the best qb I've seen in a while on this team.

2010 has to be a close second. We had Indy on the ropes up 17-6 with 2 minutes left in the half. Feely just drilled a long FG I recall and I can remember thinking this is it. It's finally happening. But that was a team that had no business being there so I understand why it wouldn't rank high on the list.

Well, the second time they lost, they lost when Leahy missed 2 extra points in a game. 

I don't know that they beat the Redskins, because you still have Richard Todd.   Like I said, the Hogs vs. the Sack Exchange would have been great to watch.

Hopefully the poll I entered worked

You left out the 81 Sack Exchange Jets that choked at home against Buffalo 31-27. In the WC....Finished the season 10-2-1 and if they could have pulled out the Buff game may have done some damage the rest of the way.

That was the game losing play right there..

That was a soul crushing play.

We were already down 3 scores, we needed to get back in the game and we're playing for a SB berth so I can understand trying to pick up the first down......but at the same time it was something ridiculous like 3rd and 17, we were backed up, and the way our offense and their defense was playing we probably didn't have 17 yards total at that point, so it was a tough position for our team to be in.

I can't blame Schotty and Rex for deciding to try to pick up the 1st in that situation......but it couldn't of had a more disastrous outcome. I'd rather try to make something happen then pull a Hacket and go draw in that situation, but you'd like to have a hot read or something to bail out in the event of a blitz, which is exactly what happened.

That play hurts even more in retrospect when you end up losing by 5 points.

Yeah.  I don't disagree with much of this.  I think the 2004 team may have been the weakest listed.  I am not as harsh on the 2010 D as you.  I put plenty of blame on the O and Sanchez spitting that ball up. 16 plays in the first 4 drives is hard for any D to overcome.  I know you don't all agree with me, but that is how I see it.  As for the #theycameoutflat brigade, why doesn't Parcells get more heat for the collapse in 1998?  The wind? 

Parcells took the Jets from the absolute dregs 2 years earlier (1-15) to the brink of the Superbowl.  He doesn't get enough credit from Jet fans.

The 83 team was stacked Great O-line Great D line Great Receivers and RB would have been a tough SB vs the Redskins

The 98 team would have had a better chance beating Atlanta but they just were not as talented as the 83 team who in my opinion was probabl;y one of the most talented Jets teams ever right behind the SB III team

So, his "Brink of the Super Bowl" trophy deserves a better spot in the case than Walt's or Ryan's two? 

Actually it does.  Rex inherited a pretty decent team from Mangenius and Michaels had 4+ years of pretty lousy football before they got hot in 82 (strike season).  Parcells inherited Kotite dreck and had them "on the brink"  in less than two.  That was an amazing turnaround with as good a coaching staff as the Jets have ever had...

Parcells took the Jets from the absolute dregs 2 years earlier (1-15) to the brink of the Superbowl. He doesn't get enough credit from Jet fans.

I agree. Sometimes I think Jets fans are so starved for a SB they let that cloud there judgement.

Just like the 09 and 10 teams, they over achieved big time. Yes I was also disappointed we didn't get to and win a SB, but we pulled off massive upsets in the divisional round both years at the 13-3 Chargers and 14-2 Pats to get to those Championship games with inferior QB play.

The Jets were seen as underdogs in both Championship games who probably shouldn't of been there in the first place when you look at teams talent and QB......we still had our shots and it sucked we couldn't pull it off, but you need to realize we already over achieved in the first place.

It's a shame Favre didn't return to NY in 2009 cause then I'd think we would of had a real shot at winning a SB with a QB that you can count on.

Archived