Which Jets team since 1982 had the best chance to win the SB

TuscanyTile2

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jets team (since 1980) had the best chance to win the superbowl?

• 1983 Jets: Mud Bowl loss in Miami. (WAS beat MIA in SB)
    • 1986 Jets: Beat KC in WC then Gastineau cost us the Cleveland game. (NYG beat DEN in SB)
    • 1998 Jets: Beat Jax in Divisional game. Lost to Denver in AFC CG. (DEN beat ATL in SB)
    • 1999 Jets (by request): Vinny hurt on opening day. Missed playoffs. (RAM beat TEN in SB)
    • 2004 Jets: Beat SD in WC. Lost to PIT in Divisional game. (NE beat PHI in SB)
    • 2009 Jets: Beat CIN in WC. Beat SD in Divisonal game. lost to IND in AFC CG. (NO beat IND in SB)
    • 2010 Jets: Beat IND in WC. Beat NE in Divisional game. Lost to PIT in AFC CG (GB beat PIT in SB)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gastineau did not cost us that Cleveland game. Maybe you should google it.

meh, for all intents and purposes that was the change of momentum that lead directly to Cleveland winning. Would've been 3rd and 20+ up 10 with only a few minutes left if memory serves

I initially voted for 2004, because the roster was loaded with talent, especially on the lines, and was mismanaged by Herm. Perhaps if Chad's shoulder was 2002 caliber, we would have gotten a bit further. But then, the Pats were still excellent that year and probably would have Pats'd us.

For anyone willing to do this to themselves, here is the full 1998 AFC Championship game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPswNGX5x4U

After watching a bit of that game, it didn't take long to remember how god damn competent that offense was. Just look at Vinny drop back, make his read, and sling it. Aside from early '08 Favre, and 2002 Pennington, when the hell have we ever seen that? Unfathomable that it's been so long.

Anyway, the '98 team is probably the right choice. Especially since the final destination was a Falcons team that we pasted in the regular season. 1999 is too much of a what-if to pick. 2009 we were terrible in much of the regular season. 2010 is more possible than Tom Shane would admit. I am admittedly too young to weigh in on '83 and '86.

I've never seen that game. I was floating out in the Persian Gulf at the time and watching two giant helmets move up and dome a computer screen in what amounted to the gamecast back then.

I have to admit a small part of me was rooting against us. I waited my whole life for us to make the SB and I was going to miss it.

98 because they already thrashed the falcons earlier in the season

Well, yes and no. They thrashed the Falcons when Atlanta started a 44 year old QB who was out of the league retired for the prior 5 seasons (and wasn't any good those last couple seasons before that anyway). It was amazing luck of the draw that we played Atlanta in the only game Chandler was inactive. It made a terrible/hard matchup into an easy one.

But '98 or '82, yeah I'd say those were the 2 teams. I'd like to say '99, since we were I think the #1 seed (power rankings stuff) entering the season, but so many things could have gone wrong - not even counting Testaverde's Achilles tearing - that it's too hard to say.

I will always believe that if the 86 team had they stayed healthy they would have rolled everyone in the post season including the Giants. They were that good on both sides of the ball. When you lose though your best linebacker (Mehl) and your entire starting DL (Klecko, Lyons and Gastineau) it has the makings of a disaster which those five final games were.

Take a look at this stretch of games and what the scores were at halftime.

Week 6 up 24-0  @ New England

Week 7 up 22-0 Denver

Week 8 up 21-6 New Orleans 

Week 9 up 24-7 @ Seattle

Week 10 up 21-0 @ Atlanta (I think this is the game where Klecko originally got hurt. He re-injured himself when he came back to soon against Pittsburgh a few weeks later.)

Easlily the best 5 game stretch of football I think I have ever seen the Jets play

They were not only beating teams they were killing them. 

'98...that team was loaded from top to bottom...best Jets roster I've ever seen.

So strange that the Broncos completely shut down the run game with their emphasis in practice all week being centered around letting Vinny keep throwing until he turned it over.

All that talent and they just came out and played one of the sloppiest games ever....six turnovers in an AFCCG...that's gotta' be some kind of record.

I've never seen that game. I was floating out in the Persian Gulf at the time and watching two giant helmets move up and dome a computer screen in what amounted to the gamecast back then.

I have to admit a small part of me was rooting against us. I waited my whole life for us to make the SB and I was going to miss it.

Same here...I was on post in Korea listening to it on radio....if the North had invaded that day, I may not have noticed.

Let it go man... Let it GO!!!! :winking0001:

I didn't start the thread talking about these teams and I will always state my opinion as others do.. Hey do you remember the name of the back that fumbled in 1999 when Vinny tore his achilles trying to recover it?? :animal0029:

'98...that team was loaded from top to bottom...best Jets roster I've ever seen.

So strange that the Broncos completely shut down the run game with their emphasis in practice all week being centered around letting Vinny keep throwing until he turned it over.

All that talent and they just came out and played one of the sloppiest games ever....six turnovers in an AFCCG...that's gotta' be some kind of record.

Well if Rex was the HC for that game I know what some here would be saying..LOL

Well if Rex was the HC for that game I know what some here would be saying..LOL

Too relaxed, took it easy on his players, they weren't prepared, sloppy and embarrassing, this is what happens when you want to be everyone's buddy and nobody is held accountable.

Happens to Tuna...Huh?  What turnovers?

Too relaxed, took it easy on his players, they weren't prepared, sloppy and embarrassing, this is what happens when you want to be everyone's buddy and nobody is held accountable.

Happens to Tuna...Huh?  What turnovers?

You forgot his D blew a lead in the 2nd half..

Yep... I am absolutely guilty.  BUT..Parcells won a SB or 2, he gets a small pass.  yet..your point is really spot on.

Tuna blew a LOT of games in his HOF career.

But not on the Jets so no pass from me and I was a big Parcells fan..

I will always believe that if the 86 team had they stayed healthy they would have rolled everyone in the post season including the Giants. They were that good on both sides of the ball. When you lose though your best linebacker (Mehl) and your entire starting DL (Klecko, Lyons and Gastineau) it has the makings of a disaster which those five final games were.

Take a look at this stretch of games and what the scores were at halftime.

Week 6 up 24-0  @ New England

Week 7 up 22-0 Denver

Week 8 up 21-6 New Orleans 

Week 9 up 24-7 @ Seattle

Week 10 up 21-0 @ Atlanta (I think this is the game where Klecko originally got hurt. He re-injured himself when he came back to soon against Pittsburgh a few weeks later.)

Easlily the best 5 game stretch of football I think I have ever seen the Jets play

word...  we were destroying everyone, best time I've ever had as a jets fan.. then Paul Macguire (sp?)

been watching this team since 85... 86, 98 and 2008 (after TN beat down) where the only times I thought we were legit SB contenders... 

99 was a new year, and why I felt good going in, they hadn't proven it

04 we had Pennington and Herm, two natural born losers who had 0% chance of beating good teams in the post season

09/10 we had Sanchez who was terrible and weren't going to get there without him killing us at some point

The problem with the 2010 team was that the d-line players were mostly one-dimensional.  The run-stoppers (Pouha, Devito) couldn't sack Roethlisberger if their lives depended on it.  The pass-rushers (Jason Taylor, Trevor Pryce) couldn't stop Mendenhall at all.  Shaun Ellis was the only guy who could do both and he was off his game after playing the game of his life the week before.

Wish we had Sheldon and Mo on that 2010 team.

Yep, but you made a memory with your Dad and that counts too...

We sure did. We went to the games at Shea from 67 until  I left for college in the 70s..

The 68 AFLCG against Oakland is one of my fondest memories.

BTW ,in this poll  I voted for the 98 team losing in Denver. I felt like I was watching in the Twilight Zone game in the second half.

We sure did. We went to the games at Shea from 67 until  I left for college in the 70s..

The 68 AFLCG against Oakland is one of my fondest memories.

BTW ,in this poll  I voted for the 98 team losing in Denver. I felt like I was watching in the Twilight Zone game in the second half.

Great game that was the one where a cop saw Joe leaving a hotel early morning with a blonde and bet the Raiders big..LOL

Don't forget the Dominator!  Russell Carter was hurt a bunch during his career and he went down for few games during that year.  He was back for the playoffs and got picks in both games.  Fun secondary - Russell, Lester Lyles, Harry Hamilton (played and coached with/against his cousin over in Italy), fresh off his return from the USFL's  PIttsburgh Maulers Jerry Holmes, plus Kerry Glenn, Johnny Lynn. and RIch Miano.

How have you been, Savage? I guess you came over during The Great Migration when JI went down?

I signed up here when JN first started but I posted at JI most of the time.. Quite a few of JI posters went to Ragu's Hamper site and some others to Jet fanatics..But this is my main place now as long as Max keeps paying me..LOL

1998 and 2004 its a toss up.  I thought Jets had excellent chance those two years 

AND 2002 was no slouch either.  That Jets team would beat the Buccs.  buccs only looked so great in the SB because they knew what Oakland would do every play.

AND 2002 was no slouch either.  That Jets team would beat the Buccs.  buccs only looked so great in the SB because they knew what Oakland would do every play.

We didn't play the Buc's in 2002 do you mean when we played the Buc's in 2000??

Tampa had the number 1 D in 2002 I don't see Chad beating them he couldn't get by the Raiders D..

that '02 Oakland Roiders team was great as well.  Remember they had some guy go nuts and drive to Mexico on the day of the game?  Dude just straight quit on them.

But the JEts would beat those Buccs, Pennington was at his best that year.  Even lead the NFL in QB rating.

Archived