Bowles compares Coples to Geno

shuler82

Talk about a low blow...

Coach Todd Bowles said OLB Quinton Coples "kind of reminds" him of Geno Smith.

As reporter Rich Cimini explained it, Bowles meant that as "you see the potential, he does some good things, but other times -- not so much." Cimini believes Coples needs to have a really strong offseason, as it remains to be seen if the Jets will pick up his 2016 fifth-year team option. Coples has 16.5 sacks through three seasons but none of his 6.5 last season came on third down.

Source: ESPN.com

Wed, Apr 08 2015 11:27 AM

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see the Parcells influence coming out in Bowles interactions with the media. 

Enough with all of the compliments and "soft stroking" call players out and push them

to improve

he's right

he has the parcells needle and he's not afraid to use it, lol

Lol...early returns on Bowles outstanding...the Parcells needle..haha.

Seems less cantankerous than Tuna...kinda lulls you to sleep then...WHAP!!!!----"She's still injured."

Good to see the Parcells influence coming out in Bowles interactions with the media. 

Enough with all of the compliments and "soft stroking" call players out and push them

to improve

Yep the old Tuna trick I love it too.. One thing the Tuna did that I didn't like was him kicking Wayne in the ankle when he said he was healed from his injury and ready to play.. Wayne came close to hitting him that was some great restraint on his part.. 

Rex did this exact thing with Coples and it didn't work.  This guy worked for Parcells for 20 minutes and Coples is going to pay attention?  The guy hasn't given a sh*t in years.

Got to disagree to a point. According to PFF Coples was one on the leaders in the NFL in QB hits, and hurries.  He just didn't get that extra second to get to the QB.  He has also grown into a very good player against the run.  Sets the edge very well.

I'm strongly hoping that with Revis and Cro back there he will have the extra split second to close the deal.

Think he is going to be one of the break out  players this year with 12-14 sacks.  If not, then your right, and he will probably be gone.

Think some of the posters above are correct, he is sticking the pin in Coples by comparing him to one of the worst players on the team

Got to disagree to a point. According to PFF Coples was one on the leaders in the NFL in QB hits, and hurries.  He just didn't get that extra second to get to the QB.  He has also grown into a very good player against the run.  Sets the edge very well.

I'm strongly hoping that with Revis and Cro back there he will have the extra split second to close the deal.

Think he is going to be one of the break out  players this year with 12-14 sacks.  If not, then your right, and he will probably be gone.

Think some of the posters above are correct, he is sticking the pin in Coples by comparing him to one of the worst players on the team

Eh.  Coples talent and how well he plays aren't the point.  He doesn't seem too invested.  Rex very rarely said anything negative about any player, but at least two different seasons he needled Coples.  Now everybody is all impressed with Bowles taking a page from the Parcells playbook for doing the exact same thing that Rex did.

Eh.  Coples talent and how well he plays aren't the point.  He doesn't seem too invested.  Rex very rarely said anything negative about any player, but at least two different seasons he needled Coples.  Now everybody is all impressed with Bowles taking a page from the Parcells playbook for doing the exact same thing that Rex did.

OK   

I'll buy that

Coples can really be a difference maker this year as long as Bowles puts him in position to succeed.

Draft a pass rusher with the 6th overall pick, add in our new secondary and DLine, and Coples will have plenty of 1 on 1 opportunities to get to the QB. As another poster already stated, he had a lot of hurries and hits last year,give him that extra split second and it could lead to a double digit sack season!

I'm pumped to watch this D get after the opposing QB!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

IMO, Coples has done an awesome Job for the Jets at OLBer .  The Kid can't be blocked by any TE or RB , he sets the edge against the run with the best of em and most OT need help blocking him.

Sometimes #s don't tell the whole story.

Eh. Coples talent and how well he plays aren't the point. He doesn't seem too invested. Rex very rarely said anything negative about any player, but at least two different seasons he needled Coples. Now everybody is all impressed with Bowles taking a page from the Parcells playbook for doing the exact same thing that Rex did.

Saying something twice in 3 years isn't the same as saying something the in the first 3 days.

He had some highlight tackles on backs behind the LOS that almost took their heads off..

Rex did this exact thing with Coples and it didn't work.  This guy worked for Parcells for 20 minutes and Coples is going to pay attention?  The guy hasn't given a sh*t in years.

Yeah but the way Bowles said it.  It was different and stuff.  Soooo much more powerful the way he did it.  Parcells like really.

He had some highlight tackles on backs behind the LOS that almost took their heads off..

I loved this play. I literally spilled my beer by jumping out of my seat. Hit MJD so hard he made him punt the football. Coples has all the physical ability, he just needs to be utilized the right way... as a DE.

I loved this play. I literally spilled my beer by jumping out of my seat. Hit MJD so hard he made him punt the football. Coples has all the physical ability, he just needs to be utilized the right way... as a DE.

Coples ended MoJo's career on that hit.  Fact. 

The problem with Rex's motivation is that he uses the same paint brush and assumes it will work for every one.  That being pump the guys up, make them feel bullet proof and that they can kick anyone's ass.

This is good and works well, if you are dealing with vets or guys on the cusp of doing something.  The problem arises when you get some players that you are heaping praise on the moment they are drafted before they have done any work at all to get good at their craft.

The problem with Rex's motivation is that he uses the same paint brush and assumes it will work for every one.  That being pump the guys up, make them feel bullet proof and that they can kick anyone's ass.

This is good and works well, if you are dealing with vets or guys on the cusp of doing something.  The problem arises when you get some players that you are heaping praise on the moment they are drafted before they have done any work at all to get good at their craft.

Same paint brush.  Pumped up and bullet proof.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168601/article/rex-ryan-harps-on-quinton-coples-weightroom-work

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000168818/article/rex-ryan-on-scolded-quinton-coples-let-him-stew

http://nypost.com/2013/11/01/rex-calls-for-coples-to-step-up-his-game/

Did Bowles promise Coples that he'd draft him if he were there? 

Archived