Bowles compares Coples to Geno

shuler82

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about a low blow...

Coach Todd Bowles said OLB Quinton Coples "kind of reminds" him of Geno Smith.

As reporter Rich Cimini explained it, Bowles meant that as "you see the potential, he does some good things, but other times -- not so much." Cimini believes Coples needs to have a really strong offseason, as it remains to be seen if the Jets will pick up his 2016 fifth-year team option. Coples has 16.5 sacks through three seasons but none of his 6.5 last season came on third down.

Source: ESPN.com

Wed, Apr 08 2015 11:27 AM

another REX pick..........  let him go to the BILLS and REX.    Our gift for Maybin.

Wow, how pathetic is it that the way to shame a Jets player into playing better is to compare him to the Jets starting quarterback.

Anway, how about trading Coples straight up for Mike Glennon? I like Coples and think he can still be an impact player, but he needs to stay on the defensive line, where the Jets are already bursting with talent.

Eh.  Coples talent and how well he plays aren't the point.  He doesn't seem too invested.  Rex very rarely said anything negative about any player, but at least two different seasons he needled Coples.  Now everybody is all impressed with Bowles taking a page from the Parcells playbook for doing the exact same thing that Rex did.

Most fans have short memories.

Rex did this exact thing with Coples and it didn't work.  This guy worked for Parcells for 20 minutes and Coples is going to pay attention?  The guy hasn't given a sh*t in years.

Not to beat a dead horse but we all know that Coples has been playing out of position for years. The way Jet fans treat Coples reminds me alot of how John Abraham was treated. Abraham, a guy who was criticized for always being injured and not giving a sh*t because he wouldn't/couldn't play through injury against the Steelers in the divisional round back in 04, yet he ended his career only missing 2 games in his last 7 years and was forced to retire because of possible brain damage. And we haven't had a pass rusher like him since he left. 

Quinten Coples simply isn't a 3-4 OLB, he's a defensive end. I doubt that its Coples not giving a sh*t. 

Not to beat a dead horse but we all know that Coples has been playing out of position for years. The way Jet fans treat Coples reminds me alot of how John Abraham was treated. Abraham, a guy who was criticized for always being injured and not giving a sh*t because he wouldn't/couldn't play through injury against the Steelers in the divisional round back in 04, yet he ended his career only missing 2 games in his last 7 years and was forced to retire because of possible brain damage. And we haven't had a pass rusher like him since he left. 

Quinten Coples simply isn't a 3-4 OLB, he's a defensive end. I doubt that its Coples not giving a sh*t. 

Good point on Abe 5 time pro bowler and 2 time All Pro 133 1/2 sacks.. Abe's thing was speed and if he was hurt and didn't have it  why play?? He was playing in the 250's without his speed he's not going to bull rush over 300+ linemen..

Eh.  He looks like he doesn't give a sh*t.  He weighs what, 280?  He is a 3-4 OLB, same as Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace and Jason Babin.  I guess we will see if he is so out of position when we see how another defensive genius uses him.  Good move using JAbe there - you know people complaining about him is another one of my pet peeves.  Abraham went fast on every play.  Coples does not seem to, but maybe that is just how he looks.  I find him adequate with flashes. 

Always hated the Douglas move.

Everyone did.  Trading him was bad enough, but reaching for Dorain Boose and thinking stiffs like that, Terry Day and Eric Ogbogu could replace him showed the downside of Parcells in shopping for the groceries.  He actually basically traded Douglas for Boose straight up. Parcells was good at setting an organizational tone, but he fully insisted on fitting the players to his system and not vice versa.

Always hated the Douglas move.

I agree he was OROY and we could have had Sapp that year instead of TE Brady as well but Kotite didn't like pot smokers.. I wonder if the Tuna would have moved Sapp as well?? He had no problem with LT doing coke..LOL

Everyone did.  Trading him was bad enough, but reaching for Dorain Boose and thinking stiffs like that, Terry Day and Eric Ogbogu could replace him showed the downside of Parcells in shopping for the groceries.  He actually basically traded Douglas for Boose straight up. Parcells was good at setting an organizational tone, but he fully insisted on fitting the players to his system and not vice versa.

Problem was hat he didn't fit players into a system, he fit players into stereotypes. 

Particularly, body types. 

I agree he was OROY and we could have had Sapp that year instead of TE Brady as well but Kotite didn't like pot smokers.. I wonder if the Tuna would have moved Sapp as well?? He had no problem with LT doing coke..LOL

For years, the Jets hated any players that had any "questionable" backgrounds. It was the Jim Kensil influence, and they tried to stay very cozy with the Commissioners office and be a model franchise.

Hess finally got sick of that, and then tampered with Parcells. That was the first renegade move they did in many years (unless you consider moving to the Meadowlands renegade).

like who?

To Rex credit he is damn good motivator but there's different types of motivations techniques

Rex is a players coach in which he prefers to be one of the guys. Players Play hard cause they genuinely got love for the Coach. But it's more of friendship type deal so there's not much accountability or discipline when players mess up.

Then there's Fear

Parcells ,Belicheck are 2 of the best at this . Guys play hard and do what there's suppose to do not because of friendships but because these Coaches aren't gonna take your sh*t you will buried on a bench somewhere regardless of your contract or status .there gonna Demand Respect .

Archived