Bowles compares Coples to Geno

shuler82

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh.  He looks like he doesn't give a sh*t.  He weighs what, 280?  He is a 3-4 OLB, same as Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace and Jason Babin.  I guess we will see if he is so out of position when we see how another defensive genius uses him.  Good move using JAbe there - you know people complaining about him is another one of my pet peeves.  Abraham went fast on every play.  Coples does not seem to, but maybe that is just how he looks.  I find him adequate with flashes. 

Just because he's 280lbs doesnt make him a 3-4 OLB. The years of mediocrity supports this. I think Coples cannot naturally process the multiple responsibilities of the OLB position which causes him to slowly react. But there are moments when I look at him and say "Damn, dude just murdered that running back or he just blew up that QB". He's a pass rushing lineman, he just needs to be on the line in the dirt and not dealing with linebacker responsibilities. Coples needs to be put in position to rush, not worry about reverses to the backside, zone or man coverage and ceiling off edges. Its not his game. When Coples is able to just go thats where he seems to shine. 

In many ways I do hope that we draft a OLB early just to get Coples back on the line. I really dont want a 4-3 DE to be converted into a 3-4 OLB. It would be great to get an actual 3-4 OLB. 

John Abraham was a godforsaken fruit and me-first to the bone. **** John Abraham.

Well, given that the result is significant memory loss I doubt that he was as "me first to the bone" as maybe he should have been. When it comes down to his brittle bones and injured brain, the last thing he'll care about is what a few fans think, and thats if he could even remember it by the next morning unfortunately.

Players should be me first anyway. This is a business that  is bulit to always benefit the franchise. Obviously if you're not a fan favorite then the fans could give a crap about you or your ailments. This is why I respect what Chris Borland did. You've played all your life. You made a 6 figure salary playing one year in the pros. Save yourself from the life long health problems and the unappreciative fans, take that money and find another "first love". The ultimate "me first" situation. Aint nothing wrong with that. 

Well, given that the result is significant memory loss I doubt that he was as "me first to the bone" as maybe he should have been. When it comes down to his brittle bones and injured brain, the last thing he'll care about is what a few fans think, and thats if he could even remember it by the next morning unfortunately.

Players should be me first anyway. This is a business that  is bulit to always benefit the franchise. Obviously if you're not a fan favorite then the fans could give a crap about you or your ailments. This is why I respect what Chris Borland did. You've played all your life. You made a 6 figure salary playing one year in the pros. Save yourself from the life long health problems and the unappreciative fans, take that money and find another "first love". The ultimate "me first" situation. Aint nothing wrong with that. 

Don't compare Borland's and Abraham's case. At least Borland tried.

Correct. I'm not ready to send Bowles to Canton (Another Parcells quip), I do like what I see and hear.

Agreed. And I know it's the honeymoon phase still (for me anyway), but I can't really bitch about anything Bowles or Macc have done or said.

Rex did this exact thing with Coples and it didn't work.  This guy worked for Parcells for 20 minutes and Coples is going to pay attention?  The guy hasn't given a sh*t in years.

Some guys talk the talk others walk the walk. Occasionally saying "work harder" is different than constantly holding guys accountable. I remember herm tried be be a stern coach towards the end and the players laughed at him. One was quoted as saying you can't be soft and then all of a sudden be tough.

Just because he's 280lbs doesnt make him a 3-4 OLB. The years of mediocrity supports this. I think Coples cannot naturally process the multiple responsibilities of the OLB position which causes him to slowly react. But there are moments when I look at him and say "Damn, dude just murdered that running back or he just blew up that QB". He's a pass rushing lineman, he just needs to be on the line in the dirt and not dealing with linebacker responsibilities. Coples needs to be put in position to rush, not worry about reverses to the backside, zone or man coverage and ceiling off edges. Its not his game. When Coples is able to just go thats where he seems to shine. 

In many ways I do hope that we draft a OLB early just to get Coples back on the line. I really dont want a 4-3 DE to be converted into a 3-4 OLB. It would be great to get an actual 3-4 OLB. 

Possibly.  It is just as likely that he is mediocre.  

Archived