QB guru Tom House sees improvement in Jets' Geno Smith

Larz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you expect the guy that trained him for two months to say?

"Yeah, I charge top dollar to train NFL QBs but this guy sucked when I was through with him."

I'll believe it when I see it. What ice seen so far is a dumb, undedicated, thin-skinned QB.

Fitz starts week one seems inevitable.

I agree with most of what your saying, not sure that Fitz is starting opening day.  The OTA's, on a team that is being put together from scratch, is a big deal.   Being recently back from a broken leg, Fitz is going to be a bit tentative until he gets confident in his leg.  Think that's why Bowles said a QB will probably be added to compete with Smith.   I think they have doubts Fitz will be ready in Sept.

Don't know that he won't be either 

I am not sure but does Tom House teach decision making ?

Again in Geno's position this can only help. From whatever noises we have heard so far the new guys are not going to be as patient with the players draft by the previous guys. And in Geno's case deservedly so. So it's key for him to hit the ground running.

the great qbs always say your mechanics can always be improved and that will carry over to his accuracy. Good for him that he is at least making the effort. I think jet fans would have been happier if he spent 2 months working with a Def-cood doing film review. 

Doesn't seem too hard to go from raging dumpster fire to smoldering dumpster fire.

And people who say he can make all the throws are lying to themselves or haven't been watching. He can't make all the throws. His accuracy is terrible on anything over 7 yards.

Geno ******* sucks. **** him replace his dumb ass.

With what though? That's what I've been asking all off-season there are no qb's available that I would consider even average. Fitz was the best qb available and he's coming off an injury and our OL in its current form will get him killed.

Nothing more entertaining in the off-season that the predictable "failure of a player is working hard, working with X, and really showing progress" articles.

Talk is cheap, show us.  Till then, Zzzzzz.......

In other news, word from the Jets is that their QB's hard work is really paying off, and he looks like a different QB.  We should all be very excited to hear that, not this skeptical and so much of a downer.  If Pennington's arm strength really has increased, he could be elite.  I'm looking forward to watching it in the games.

I dont think geno is as dumb as people think, I mean correct me if im wrong but it seemed like he was able to drive up and down the field between the 20s,

Once we hit the redzone something breaks down which is why folk is one of the best fantasy kickers in the league lol

Having a star reciever who could break a long catch and run couldnt hurt either

With what though? That's what I've been asking all off-season there are no qb's available that I would consider even average. Fitz was the best qb available and he's coming off an injury and our OL in its current form will get him killed.

The Oline isn't that bad. There's just zero depth. Awful year to need a QB, none worth a sh*t in the draft or FA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/50468/qb-guru-tom-house-sees-improvement-in-jets-geno-smith

Science!

And that was only part of the program.

As he does with every quarterback, House assessed Smith at the outset, focusing on four basic metrics: biomechanical, functional strength, nutrition and a mental/emotional profile. His progress in those areas was charted throughout his stay.

"I think he left incrementally better in all four metrics," House told ESPN.com.

I am not sure but does Tom House teach decision making ?

Again in Geno's position this can only help. From whatever noises we have heard so far the new guys are not going to be as patient with the players draft by the previous guys. And in Geno's case deservedly so. So it's key for him to hit the ground running.

Yes.  He does.  Where did you hear that the new guys are not going to be as patient?  Not that I doubt it, nobody is as patient with somebody else's players.  I just haven't heard it.

This reminds me of the annual offseason articles we used to read about Chad Pennington using some off-the-wall training technique to increase arm strength.  Then September came, and the ol' wounded ducks would still be ever present.

In other news, word from the Jets is that their QB's hard work is really paying off, and he looks like a different QB.  We should all be very excited to hear that, not this skeptical and so much of a downer.  If Pennington's arm strength really has increased, he could be elite.  I'm looking forward to watching it in the games.

Remember when Vernon Gholsten was working hard in the offseson with Lawrence Taylor.

That worked out well................

Yes. He does. Where did you hear that the new guys are not going to be as patient? Not that I doubt it, nobody is as patient with somebody else's players. I just haven't heard it.

No HC is going to come out and explicitly say that. But reading between the lines and the tone of the new guys has been non committal to Geno right form the start. He might be anointed the starter for now but you know the leash is going to be very short. Heck didn't he compare Coples to Geno just in the last 24 hours. I know he was comparing Coples to Geno an not the other way around but the words were not too complimentary to hear if you are in Geno's shoes.

No HC is going to come out and explicitly say that. But reading between the lines and the tone of the new guys has been non committal to Geno right form the start. He might be anointed the starter for now but you know the leash is going to be very short. Heck didn't he compare Coples to Geno just in the last 24 hours. I know he was comparing Coples to Geno an not the other way around but the words were not too complimentary to hear if you are in Geno's shoes.

Eh.  I think that has more to do with Geno sucking than any bias against Idzik/Tanny players.  They sure paid Revis and Harris plenty quick.  Rex was forced to start Geno by many accounts.  I doubt he was in love either.

yeah.  Don't know if they are just trying to play word game motivation with him, but for a new regime they certainly haven't said or done anything to bolster his confidence

Eh.  I think that has more to do with Geno sucking than any bias against Idzik/Tanny players.  They sure paid Revis and Harris plenty quick.  Rex was forced to start Geno by many accounts.  I doubt he was in love either.

True. But that's always the case. Players that suck who were picked by the old regime are at risk. No one is going to touch Sheldon Richardson.

Geno certainly did improve at the end of the season. I kind of like that he improved although every fan boo-ed him and the Front office seemed to give up on him. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000450431/Week-17-Geno-

The guy definitely still has upside, is young, and cheap. Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't winning us any titles and is only signed for 1 year. 

/shrug

PR Spin is PR Spin.  It's the same spin we hear every off season about the Ghosts, the DRobs, the Geno Smith's of the Jets.

It's all moot anyway because Geno Smith won't be starting for us this year no matter how many Guru's he goes to see.  

Beaing a realist is not being a downer my old friend, I happen to be VERY optimistic about being competitive in 2015.  

We're a solid on-paper team pretty well everywhere but at QB now.

/shrug

PR Spin is PR Spin. It's the same spin we hear every off season about the Ghosts, the DRobs, the Geno Smith's of the Jets.

It's all moot anyway because Geno Smith won't be starting for us this year no matter how many Guru's he goes to see.

Beaing a realist is not being a downer my old friend, I happen to be VERY optimistic about being competitive in 2015.

We're a solid on-paper team pretty well everywhere but at QB now.

Missed the sarcasm, huh? I thought the Pennington ref gave it away

Well, certainly a lot of Geno haters on this board. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I give the kid credit for working at his chosen profession. It really amazes me that many of you have total blinders on and see absolutely no chance Geno can develop further.

Yes, I know he was the definition of down right dumb at times during these last two years. Yet mingled in there were some very encouraging signs of skills and talent. As others have pointed out Geno was thrown in to the fire from day one and he did not even know what fire was. So much goes onto the development and more importantly the confidence of young QB's. As much as liked Rex , one wonders about the approach they took with Geno. I think we can all agree that it's very rare when a rookie QB makes a big impact his first year. Personally, I am of the old school, where rookie QB's sit for a minimum of one year behind a vet, before ever seeing game day action.

For Geno the game and the WCO offense was on another level, as far as speed and the decisions making process. Obviously the results speak for themselves and makes me ask, if the coaching staff saw this, could they have not install a system that was more amenable to his skill level. No, they chose to force a square peg onto a round hole. So some of the failure lays right at the feet of those charged with teaching him and getting him up to NFL standards.

If you consider one of the first hires of the new regime was bringing in an offensive coordinator well versed in the spread offense, what does that tell you. It tells me that in spite of what many here think, that this new staff is not ready to give up on Geno. By this hire, I see the new regime wanting to give Geno every opportunity to develop and become the QB that was expected when the Jets drafted him.

The weapons

Face it in Geno's first two years ,the skilled players that surrounded him were not of the highest caliber. The offensive line has been a continuing work in progress, outside of Brick and Mangold. This weights heavily on a QB confidence. This becomes even more of an issue for young QB's tiring to catch up to the game. Defenses have been teeing off knowing Geno was pretty rattled in his first year.

Another factor is the many drops by his receivers, another factor that hinders both development and confidence.

While I heartily agree with the majority here who see that Geno is a one read QB and MUST learn to go thru his progressions. That he too often stares down his primary and fails to look off the defense. I think many of the above factors have contributed to Geno falling into this killer habit

So too the many who are ready to throw Geno out with the bath water as it was ,I say to you "not so fast ". I think the new regime has addressed many of the issues that have cause Geno not to develop as expected. Chan Gailey knows how to develop QB's and I personally think he is the teacher Geno has needed all along.

This will be the year Geno must step up to the next level and distinguish himself as a starting QB in the NFL.

I will hold judgement one more year just to see how he responds to this new approach. I really believe that he has the ability to step up to the challenge and make a believer out of even the most hard core nonbeliever, but this will no doubt be his last chance.

Well, certainly a lot of Geno haters on this board. Damned if you do damned if you don't. I give the kid credit for working at his chosen profession. It really amazes me that many of you have total blinders on and see absolutely no chance Geno can develop further.

Yes, I know he was the definition of down right dumb at times during these last two years. Yet mingled in there were some very encouraging signs of skills and talent. As others have pointed out Geno was thrown in to the fire from day one and he did not even know what fire was. So much goes onto the development and more importantly the confidence of young QB's. As much as liked Rex , one wonders about the approach they took with Geno. I think we can all agree that it's very rare when a rookie QB makes a big impact his first year. Personally, I am of the old school, where rookie QB's sit for a minimum of one year behind a vet, before ever seeing game day action.

For Geno the game and the WCO offense was on another level, as far as speed and the decisions making process. Obviously the results speak for themselves and makes me ask, if the coaching staff saw this, could they have not install a system that was more amenable to his skill level. No, they chose to force a square peg onto a round hole. So some of the failure lays right at the feet of those charged with teaching him and getting him up to NFL standards.

If you consider one of the first hires of the new regime was bringing in an offensive coordinator well versed in the spread offense, what does that tell you. It tells me that in spite of what many here think, that this new staff is not ready to give up on Geno. By this hire, I see the new regime wanting to give Geno every opportunity to develop and become the QB that was expected when the Jets drafted him.

The weapons

Face it in Geno's first two years ,the skilled players that surrounded him were not of the highest caliber. The offensive line has been a continuing work in progress, outside of Brick and Mangold. This weights heavily on a QB confidence. This becomes even more of an issue for young QB's tiring to catch up to the game. Defenses have been teeing off knowing Geno was pretty rattled in his first year.

Another factor is the many drops by his receivers, another factor that hinders both development and confidence.

While I heartily agree with the majority here who see that Geno is a one read QB and MUST learn to go thru his progressions. That he too often stares down his primary and fails to look off the defense. I think many of the above factors have contributed to Geno falling into this killer habit

So too the many who are ready to throw Geno out with the bath water as it was ,I say to you "not so fast ". I think the new regime has addressed many of the issues that have cause Geno not to develop as expected. Chan Gailey knows how to develop QB's and I personally think he is the teacher Geno has needed all along.

This will be the year Geno must step up to the next level and distinguish himself as a starting QB in the NFL.

I will hold judgement one more year just to see how he responds to this new approach. I really believe that he has the ability to step up to the challenge and make a believer out of even the most hard core nonbeliever, but this will no doubt be his last chance.

Just because fans have seen him play, and think he sucks, doesn't make them haters.   he might be a very nice guy in real life, he still sucks

Just because fans have seen him play, and think he sucks, doesn't make them haters. he might be a very nice guy in real life, he still sucks

I understand, I didn't mean to give the impression that people hate him personally. Just that they hate him as a player. Which in many ways I related to as well. Remember I watched all those games as well and did my fair share of cursing the day we ever drafted him. Yet, stepping back and looking at the whole body of work and the many factors I mentioned, I still like to give the kid one more shot under Chan tutelage. Knowing that we have a solid vet behind him who can be brought in quickly if we don't see improvement.

I understand, I didn't mean to give the impression that people hate him personally. Just that they hate him as a player. Which in many ways I related to as well. Remember I watched all those games as well and did my fair share of cursing the day we ever drafted him. Yet, stepping back and looking at the whole body of work and the many factors I mentioned, I still like to give the kid one more shot under Chan tutelage. Knowing that we have a solid vet behind him who can be brought in quickly if we don't see improvement.

Very cool.

Actually i regretted making that post as soon as I made it.  No players who have achieved the status of playing in the NFL suck.  

They are members of a very elite group of people.   Some of them don't stay in that group very long.  i think Smith is one of them that won't last.

Archived