I Will Really Miss Anthony Becht....

Happy Jack

....sometimes we as fans don't appreciate what we have.

Anthony was a horrible receiving TE, but his blocking will be missed

Especially those holding calls against Pittsburgh after 30 yard LaMont Jordan runs right?

Becht seems like a nice guy. Unfortunately that doesn't help you catch passes.

Stone Hands best of luck to you. You really won't be missed though.

Hmmm..Alot of the excuses for Jet Failure are

being weeded out..Both the DC and OC are now on a

high level..Hermie is running out of Bus Fodder!

Could this be the Year that the Jets go much

Higher?? Or will Hermie get to feel the weight of

a Bus Tire?? :shock:

Hmmm..Alot of the excuses for Jet Failure are

being weeded out..Both the DC and OC are now on a

high level..Hermie is running out of Bus Fodder!

Could this be the Year that the Jets go much

Higher?? Or will Hermie get to feel the weight of

a Bus Tire?? :shock:

Just watch, everything will be running on full cylinders for the Jets and Hermy will somehow drive the bus over a friggn' cliff.

Ummmmmm what you say about Herm and the Jets, clowns and ratbird fans say about the Steelers and Cowher. :lol:

Like Browns fans have alot of room to talk about the Steelers.

What do Raven fans say about Cowher?

That he is the best Pro Bowl coach in NFL history? :wink:

Like Browns fans have alot of room to talk about the Steelers.

What do Raven fans say about Cowher?

That he is the best Pro Bowl coach in NFL history? :wink:

Pretty much. They are clinging to their recent trophy, and making sure we are fully aware that their coach at least has won one. One ratbird fan had the balls to tell me they have at least 5 hall of famers on their team. I said my coach must be better then cause he hasn't any (save for maybe Bettis) and we get to be in the playoffs more often. :D

I almost choked when I read the tagline to this thread...then upon opening it I realized it was a gag.

Becht aka Mini Testaverde will not bemissed. He always had that one critical drop per game. Now the Bucs will have to suffer when they need six yards and becht catches a three yard pass and falls forward two yards and fails to pick up a first down. What's that? Oh Becht was tackled by the TURF!

LL

There not likely to sign anyone better than Becht. Dilger? I don't think so. He was not featured as a receiver but he was a good blocker.

New OC Heimerdinger said he looked at Jets game films and came away impressed with Becht's blocking anf gave him a lot of the credit for Curtis Martin's success. If the new OC thinks he was good enough then I'm fine with it.

That's 2 run blockers (McKenzie & Becht) that won't be around for Curtis. Regardless of who they sign/draft, I think we'll miss both McKenzie & Becht a little bit.

I also believe we more pressing needs with the first round pick than a TE...

There not likely to sign anyone better than Becht.

We already have a better TE than Becht on the roster, and his name is Chris Baker. Anyone else we add is just gravy.

Sure, Baker isn't a good blocker. But if I wanted my TE to block, I'd put Fabini in as the TE.

In the same way if I wanted my TE to catch I'd use a WR?

Nice try, but in today's NFL, the only great TE's are ones who make plays. Does anyone give a damn if Antonio Gates can block or not? The TE is part of the receiving corps; therefore, a TE who can make the tough catch and then possibly create yardage after it ALWAYS takes precedence over the TE who can block. Screw Anthony Becht.

Who said?

They are great only because they are featured as receivers and you hear about them. Blocking TE's don't get noticed just like a lot of OL's don't get noticed. Maybe if blocking were a fantasy stat, more people would know TE's and offensive linemen.

Antonio Gates is the best receiver they have and happens to play TE. They went out and signed McCardell because they realized they had a playoff team and their receivers suck.

Some teams don't even play a TE - they use 3 receivers. If you are going to feature the running game, you need a blocking TE more than a receiving TE.

If you are going to feature the running game, you need a blocking TE more than a receiving TE.

Umm, dude. The Chargers have played Marty Ball and featured the running game with LT. But only when Gates came around did this team break through as an offensive powerhouse and win its division. Why? Because no teams survive only on the running game, and a TE who can make plays is a big reason for a passing game's success because it's an automatic mismatch when a WR in a TE's body is going up against a slow LB or a safety.

Jetsfan80. So you're saying that Gates alone makes a team go from the worst (#1 pick) to playoffs?

You don't think Drew Brees having an outstanding year helped? I know you're going to say Gates made Brees!

How about the Giants Shockey (even though I'm not a fan), he's pretty good but didn't make Eli Manning look good.

Gonzalez, Heap, Gates, Crumpler and Shocky are not just good TE's but also the best receivers on their respective teams.

NE, Philly, Pittsburgh don't feature the TE as a main receiver.

Jetsfan80. So you're saying that Gates alone makes a team go from the worst (#1 pick) to playoffs?

You don't think Drew Brees having an outstanding year helped? I know you're going to say Gates made Brees!

How about the Giants Shockey (even though I'm not a fan), he's pretty good but didn't make Eli Manning look good.

Gonzalez, Heap, Gates, Crumpler and Shocky are not just good TE's but also the best receivers on their respective teams.

NE, Philly, Pittsburgh don't feature the TE as a main receiver.

Fact 1: Brees was around starting before Gates arrived, and the team didnt make the playoffs under him

Fact 2: Once Gates arrived, the Chargers won the division

Yes, Gates was the primary reason the Chargers turnaround happened. He was an unstoppable force that made the passing game as lethal as the running game.

You make good points with the Steelers; they definitely do not utilize their TE's in the passing game, and use them primarily for grind-it-out blocking. The Pats, however, do use their TE for passing, when they aren't spreading the field with 4 and 5 WR's. Graham was never used as a blocker first and foremost. The Eagles use Chad Lewis and LJ Smith as receivers as well.

And even though some teams utilize their TE for blocking primarily, that would in no way work for us. We are too weak in the passing game to be designating a TE purely for blocking. Heimerdinger needs WEAPONS for his system to work, as does Pennington.

Gates was not the only reason SD "arrived."

The TE is not the focal point of the Patriot & Eagle offense. yes they use the TE but never consistently as a first or 2nd option.

Obviously they don't use the TE as a top 2 option, but few teams ever do. We wouldnt make the TE our top option if we brought in a Putzier or Heath Miller. My point is that the TE is not a position meant for being a blocker in this day and age. Most every offense, including ours, needs somebody at TE who can make the big catch every once in a while, especially around the goal-line. This team hasn't had that in a long time, nor did Anthony Becht or Chris Baker get the job done. Hence, one is gone and the other is not at all guarenteed a starting job.

Archived