JN Mock Draft 2.0 - Discussion

Dcat

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But seriously, that's about as good a draft as the Chargers could hope for.  Nicely done.

Thanks, felt lucky Cobb was there. Painicked slightly when Hess took Yeldon, but Cobb is exactly the kind of runner the Chargers need anyway. Healthy but tested as a starter, where he was extremely productive. Didn't start his first two years of college and is a senior, so relatively fresh legs...liked the fit immediately, didn't even consider another player.

Picked Max Valles of Virginia for the Giants.  The spreadsheet has him ranked much lower than he should be.  I probably could have waited another round for this mock but why wait.  He's a sleeper LB for the later rounds of the NFL draft.  I would like the Jets to draft him but without a 5 or 6 round pick he probably won't be there in the 7th and they probably won't grab him in the 4th.

Picked Max Valles of Virginia for the Giants.  The spreadsheet has him ranked much lower than he should be.  I probably could have waited another round for this mock but why wait.  He's a sleeper LB for the later rounds of the NFL draft.  I would like the Jets to draft him but without a 5 or 6 round pick he probably won't be there in the 7th and they probably won't grab him in the 4th.

The rankings are  just a guide - and there is a lot of variance among the various rankings for certain prospects.   Draftek for instance has Valles as their #97 overall prospect while CBS still has him ranked in the 300s.  When you hear that a guy is shooting up draft boards, I think it just means that the so-called experts in the media are finally figuring out how good a kid was to begin with.  I like hte Valles pick as solid value in the 5th.  If he can come in and play specials and get some situational snaps as the season goes on, that is a good 5th round pick.  

The rankings are just a guide - and there is a lot of variance among the various rankings for certain prospects. Draftek for instance has Valles as their #97 overall prospect while CBS still has him ranked in the 300s. When you hear that a guy is shooting up draft boards, I think it just means that the so-called experts in the media are finally figuring out how good a kid was to begin with. I like hte Valles pick as solid value in the 5th. If he can come in and play specials and get some situational snaps as the season goes on, that is a good 5th round pick.

I think you or someone else had said the rankings in the sheet from is from cbs so it makes sense. I researched this kid the past few days and he seems to have a lot of potential and a sleeper type pick. He only played a year so it is risky but the more I read the more I liked him for a 5th round pick. I'm loving this mock draft and the previous one we did because it has made me expand my brain past the 3rd round of the real draft. I can know imagine myself getting upset in the 5th round that Cleveland picked Joe Shmo and I was hoping the Jets grabbed him. That's if we had a 5th or 6th pick. lol

hahaha I just realized I took Cameron Artis-Payne with my Falcons pick when I thought it was the Bengals pick....oh well. LOL

So far...

Atlanta Falcons

1. Shane Ray DE Missouri

2. Maxx Williams TE Minnesota

3. Eric Rowe S/CB Utah

4. TJ Yeldon RB Alabama

5. Cameron Artis-Payne RB Auburn

Cincinnati Bengals

1. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Mizz/Olk

2. Hau'oli Kikaha OLB Washington

3. Kwon Alexander OLB LSU

3. Daryl Williams OT Oklahoma

4. Jesse James TE Penn State

4. Gabe Wright DT Auburn

Can I make the Falcons trade Artis-Payne to the Bengals for their #157 and #238???

The draft-by-team breakdown motivated me to place Philadelphia in the 1.03 slot as having traded up and taken Mariota there instead of Jacksonville with a subsequent trade.  I put a note in the notes column describing what actually happened.  So the draft by-team page now shows Mariota going to Philly.   I altered the spreadsheet accordingly.  I hope nobody minds. It was annoying me.

The draft-by-team breakdown motivated me to place Philadelphia in the 1.03 slot as having traded up and taken Mariota there instead of Jacksonville with a subsequent trade.  I put a note in the notes column describing what actually happened.  So the draft by-team page now shows Mariota going to Philly.   I altered the spreadsheet accordingly.  I hope nobody minds. It was annoying me.

Updated in the Pick by Round thread as well.

Was torn for the Steelers in round 5.  Gave them a great OT in round 1 and worked on secondary with next 2 picks.  Beefed up the 3-4 DL in round 4.  Biggest immediate need now would be Guard, but just didn't like what was left there and would have been big reach.  BPA I had Kroft, who I think will be a lot like Heath Miller in the NFL once he has a real QB. In fact, he will have Miller there this year to help him develop and is a good chance he could replace him eventually.  He, and everyone else on the Rutgers offense was doomed to failure last year due to the Scarlet knights' QB problem.  

After 97 picks since their last selection the TB Buccaneers selected OT Tyrus Thompson from Oklahoma.

Massive man... 6'5" /324 lbs with 35" arms and 10.25 inch hands

Amazingly put up 29 reps with those long arms and ran a 5.3

Compares to King Dunlap and TB would love that with a late 5th round selection.

Tyrus and Ali Marpet will help protect Winston for years to come.

Add athletic freak Arik Armstead at the DE position and TB can make a big run in the NFC South

After 97 picks since their last selection the TB Buccaneers selected OT Tyrus Thompson from Oklahoma.

Massive man... 6'5" /324 lbs with 35" arms and 10.25 inch hands

Amazingly put up 29 reps with those long arms and ran a 5.3

Compares to King Dunlap and TB would love that with a late 5th round selection.

Tyrus and Ali Marpet will help protect Winston for years to come.

Add athletic freak Arik Armstead at the DE position and TB can make a big run in the NFC South

Nice job 32.

Thanks Dcat. Finally got an OT to groom for a yr. or two. I think him and Marpet can become mainstays on that Tampa OL.

I think Thompson has the potential to be a real nice pick.  Work ethic has been questioned and he has been much better in passing game than run game.  But as a late 5th rounder you got a guy that could be a solid NFL starter for a lot of years --- or could be out of the league in a couple of years if he does not make the effort.  Still, late in the 5th round, it is a good pick.

I think Thompson has the potential to be a real nice pick.  Work ethic has been questioned and he has been much better in passing game than run game.  But as a late 5th rounder you got a guy that could be a solid NFL starter for a lot of years --- or could be out of the league in a couple of years if he does not make the effort.  Still, late in the 5th round, it is a good pick.

Lovie is a disciplinarian... hopefully he gets this kid playing up to his potential.

Until I started doing this draft for the Colts, I didn't realize just how many holes they have in their roster.  Defensive front 7 & OL are probably their most critical needs, but then with key contributors well into their 30s (Robert Mathis, Trent Cole, Frank Gore, Andre Johnson, Mike Adams, Todd Herremans, D'Qwell Jackson) there really is not a position (other than QB) that does not need to be upgraded with either talent or youth.  

Since this is a team that is trying to win now, I decided to focus on players in the draft that would make the team better for 2015 -- rather than long term.  

Jordan Phillips, DT

Denzel Perryman, ILB

Hroniss Grasu, C

Rob Havenstien, OT

Kurtis Drummond, FS

Craig Mager, CB

Phillips, Perryman and Grasu would all likely start in 2015, Havenstein is a likely replacement for Gosder Cherilous who is a likely cap cut for 2016.  Drummond can compete with Lowery at FS and Mager can compete for time as nickel/dime back. No real sexy picks, but I think a solid draft for Indy.  Not great, but solid.  

So far I lthink the bests drafts belong to Cleveland and Tampa. The Jets isn't too bad either.

I'm not thrilled with mine, but in real life Landing the best overall player in the draft with Willams and getting a game changing CB with my second pick isn't a failure. Those 2 picks alone could have a huge impact on that defense and team.

They must have great GM's... Wait a minute they DO!

ME! LOL.

Eddie Goldman

Quentin Rollins

Cody Prewitt

Davis Tull

Malcolm Brown

Revamped defense for the boys, legit threat in the NFC.

Could have sworn we were in the 6th round already. I've made trade offers with just my 7th rounders assuming I used my 6th rounder already. 

Archived