NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

Whats crazy is that a good portion of this forum was calling for the Jets to sign McCown before he went to Tampa. Dude never did anything his prior 8 seasons and Jetnation wanted to throw the 34 year old millions and the keys to the franchise for basically a "knee jerk" 8 game season lol.  It was just as crazy with the Johnny Manziel Talk. I would have expected that Glennon would be great to the people who though McCown was something special. lol

McCown's deal was what?  3/$4M per?  That is not much worse than what we gave Vick.  At least this guy was coming off some recent success and wanted to be a QB. Not sure what your McCown lol is about.  Pitiful as he was, Glennon could not even unseat that guy.  I hate the whole idea of Manziel, but I understand frustrated fans thinking college success will translate to the NFL.  The Doug Flutie syndrome.  People thought Charlie Ward was going to be an NFL winner.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCown's deal was what?  3/$4M per?  That is not much worse than what we gave Vick.  At least this guy was coming off some recent success and wanted to be a QB. Not sure what your McCown lol is about.  Pitiful as he was, Glennon could not even unseat that guy.  I hate the whole idea of Manziel, but I understand frustrated fans thinking college success will translate to the NFL.  The Doug Flutie syndrome.  People thought Charlie Ward was going to be an NFL winner.

I think Glennon's inability to "unseat" McCown had everything to do with Lovie Smith not wanting to play Glennon.  In today's NFL, how likely is it that you see a rookie QB play as well as Glennon did, the a HC goes out and signs a career journeyman and immediately anoints him starter w/o a QB competition.  I have no idea what was going on in Tampa, but they grossly mishandled that whole situation.  Lovie clearly just does not like Glennon.  If there was a logical reason for it I could understand, but for him to do what he did as a rookie makes him an asset IMO.

I think Glennon's inability to "unseat" McCown had everything to do with Lovie Smith not wanting to play Glennon.  In today's NFL, how likely is it that you see a rookie QB play as well as Glennon did, the a HC goes out and signs a career journeyman and immediately anoints him starter w/o a QB competition.  I have no idea what was going on in Tampa, but they grossly mishandled that whole situation.  Lovie clearly just does not like Glennon.  If there was a logical reason for it I could understand, but for him to do what he did as a rookie makes him an asset IMO.

Or maybe there is a reason they don't like Glennon.  McCown had some good numbers in Chicago in a good situation.  Glennon doesn't win, he is kind of a statue and maybe they don't like the way he runs the team.  Everybody thinks these teams don't know what they are doing.  Like when guys leave the Jets they are going to flourish - studs like Chris Baker, Lamont Jordan and Shonn Greene were simply not utilized properly.  Or maybe they just kinda sucked. Glennon is interesting, but you could make a case for any number of guys.  It does not make him worth a 2nd IMO.. 

Or maybe there is a reason they don't like Glennon.  McCown had some good numbers in Chicago in a good situation.  Glennon doesn't win, he is kind of a statue and maybe they don't like the way he runs the team.  Everybody thinks these teams don't know what they are doing.  Like when guys leave the Jets they are going to flourish - studs like Chris Baker, Lamont Jordan and Shonn Greene were simply not utilized properly.  Or maybe they just kinda sucked. Glennon is interesting, but you could make a case for any number of guys.  It does not make him worth a 2nd IMO.. 

The thing that makes him worth a 2nd IMO is the fact that he's a better option than the other QB's who are being called second rounders this season.  A few guys from video game college offenses who haven't thrown a pass in the NFL.  Given the learning curve, those guys are probably a season or two away from being what Glennon already is.

After his rookie season the Bucs were calling Glennon a QB you want to build a team around...then they fired the HC because he was stubborn/abrasive and Smith comes in and sends him right to the bench.

Too many good attributes from Glennon in a league that's short on quality QB's.  I'm anxious to see where he goes and how he does.  If I'm wrong then I'll gladly admit it, but I think he'd be the best young QB the Jets have had since Pennington (pre-surgeries).

Completely ignoring the fact that Lovie named McCown the starter before any OTAs, workouts, or camp ever took place keeps happening here.

Pretty essential part of the discussion too.  Prior to acquiring McCown, both he and Glennon had produced exactly one quality NFL season.  Difference is that Glennon had one season to do it whereas McCown had 11. 

So for all of the "why was Glennon benched" arguments, I guess we can ask why McCown was benched for the better part of a decade before having his one good season?

Mike Vick had a career to weigh on which is why he got paid the way he did, and he came in as the back up. McCown had 8 games of success in 8 years, Always a back up and many Jet fans wanted him to be the guy at 34 years old. And his contract which I believe averaged out to be about 5 million per (not dealing with guaranteed money) was based on 8 games of his 8 year career. 

the McCown lol was about it being funny to me then and now. I know you understand it. You question the McCown part but not the Manziel position given your hatred for the guy, which shows that its all about an individuals preference. I understand the frustration, but I dont agree with calling for guys based on frustration, which is what the McCown and Manziel situation pretty much was for Jet fans. How often does emotional decisions work in favor of the person making them? If you were one of those people wishing for McCown to be signed then I meant no disrespect, I was just showing how it would have been a bad idea from jump.

And yes, Glennon couldn't unseat McCown but we all know its because that was Lovie's guy. The stat comparison can prove that statement. McCown Played in 11 games, Glennon in 6 and Glennons Stats are by far better, especially when it comes to TD's and INT's. So it wasnt like McCown's play warranted him holding on to the position. Quite contrary. The Bucs made a decision to put the lesser quality QB on the field. I dont hold that against Glennon at all. Atlanta was giving the Bucs a shellacking for the ages before McCown got hurt and Glennon stepped in and helped get 14 pts on the board to make that 56-14 loss not look as bad as it actually was when McCown was in the game. 

Mike Vick had a career to weigh on which is why he got paid the way he did, and he came in as the back up. McCown had 8 games of success in 8 years, Always a back up and many Jet fans wanted him to be the guy at 34 years old. And his contract which I believe averaged out to be about 5 million per (not dealing with guaranteed money) was based on 8 games of his 8 year career. 

the McCown lol was about it being funny to me then and now. I know you understand it. You question the McCown part but not the Manziel position given your hatred for the guy, which shows that its all about an individuals preference. I understand the frustration, but I dont agree with calling for guys based on frustration, which is what the McCown and Manziel situation pretty much was for Jet fans. How often does emotional decisions work in favor of the person making them? If you were one of those people wishing for McCown to be signed then I meant no disrespect, I was just showing how it would have been a bad idea from jump.

And yes, Glennon couldn't unseat McCown but we all know its because that was Lovie's guy. The stat comparison can prove that statement. McCown Played in 11 games, Glennon in 6 and Glennons Stats are by far better, especially when it comes to TD's and INT's. So it wasnt like McCown's play warranted him holding on to the position. Quite contrary. The Bucs made a decision to put the lesser quality QB on the field. I dont hold that against Glennon at all. Atlanta was giving the Bucs a shellacking for the ages before McCown got hurt and Glennon stepped in and helped get 14 pts on the board to make that 56-14 loss not look as bad as it actually was when McCown was in the game. 

If McCown was Lovie's guy then why did they cut him?  They didn't fire Lovie.  You like the guy, that is fine, but that opinion certainly is not universal.  The Bucs don't.  The teams interested in him went with Logan Thomas and Hoyer/Manziel over him.  Your main argument is "Bucs are stupid"

If McCown was Lovie's guy then why did they cut him?  They didn't fire Lovie.  You like the guy, that is fine, but that opinion certainly is not universal.  The Bucs don't.  The teams interested in him went with Logan Thomas and Hoyer/Manziel over him.  Your main argument is "Bucs are stupid"

They cut McCown because McCown would have probably been the highest paid QB on the team and he would have been a 3rd stringer. They didnt Fire Lovie because it was his first year. And the teams that went with Logan Thomas/Hoyer and Manziel all had QB issues last year, Logan is still a bonafide project, Manziel is in a drug recovery program, Hoyer continues to bounce around the league and Glennon seems to still be relevant (to me). 

My opinion isn't universal, but what does that mean really? I knew that it wasnt universal, but I totally understand that given that Glennon has been restricted to bench duties. You making that statement is like saying going the direction of Hoyer, Manziel and Thomas is a better decision than going with Glennon simply because thats what they "did". Yeah, thats what they did, but it didn't freaking work! lol. 

If McCown was Lovie's guy then why did they cut him? They didn't fire Lovie. You like the guy, that is fine, but that opinion certainly is not universal. The Bucs don't. The teams interested in him went with Logan Thomas and Hoyer/Manziel over him. Your main argument is "Bucs are stupid"

How many coaches get fired after one season? You're not arguing in good faith. All signs point to TB and Lovie running a sh*t show over there. You don't have to like Glennon, that's cool. But you're purposefully ignoring what took place down there. Lovie named McCown the starter without any look at Glennon. Lovie named McCown the starter in March of last year. March.

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/03/12/lovie-smith-josh-mccown-tampa-bay-buccaneers

I don't get the logic behind playing a 37 year old journeyman ahead of a second year player who was more impressive in his first season than McCown was in his first decade.

Based on that, I'd say that argument is spot on.

Pretty disheartening if the Jets go to war with Fitz/Smith/Petty if they can have Glennon for a 3rd or whatever pick they use to take a guy like Petty.

JMO

I don't get the logic behind playing a 37 year old journeyman ahead of a second year player who was more impressive in his first season than McCown was in his first decade.

Based on that, I'd say that argument is spot on.

Pretty disheartening if the Jets go to war with Fitz/Smith/Petty if they can have Glennon for a 3rd or whatever pick they use to take a guy like Petty.

JMO

So your not putting much stock in the qb evaluation ability of a Lovie Smith?

How many coaches get fired after one season? You're not arguing in good faith. All signs point to TB and Lovie running a sh*t show over there. You don't have to like Glennon, that's cool. But you're purposefully ignoring what took place down there. Lovie named McCown the starter without any look at Glennon. Lovie named McCown the starter in March of last year. March.

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/03/12/lovie-smith-josh-mccown-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Thank you. You said it better than I did, and concisely. 

Dear God.  The kid is on a team that needs a QB and they don't to play him.  Teams that are certifiably desperate for QBs passed on him and elected to use the resources they could easily have gotten him with on Logan Thomas and Johnny Manziel.  The fact that those guys sucked is not in Glennon's favor.  I have said repeatedly that I don't have a problem with Glennon as a prospect, but IMO he is no clear cut savior or even clear cut above Geno.

Lovie Smith is still there.  Coaches do get fired after one year - that is how Pettine got there in Cleveland to ask about Glennon.. I don't see how any of it relates to "good faith"  It's not like Lovie realized the error of his ways when he moved on from McCown.  Now he is probably drafting a QB #! overall.  I get you guys like Glennon, but a 2nd is high IMO and he is a competition guy, there is no way on God's green earth you hand him the job.  .

So your not putting much stock in the qb evaluation ability of a Lovie Smith?

Just pointing out the disparity in the results between the player he chose to hand the job to and the player he never took a look at.  Every single result shows Glennon to be the better QB...I think it just comes down to the fact that some old-school HC's just do not believe in young QB's and believe a team has to be led by a veteran.  Can't really think of any other logical explanation. 

Just pointing out the disparity in the results between the player he chose to hand the job to and the player he never took a look at. Every single result shows Glennon to be the better QB...I think it just comes down to the fact that some old-school HC's just do not believe in young QB's and believe a team has to be led by a veteran. Can't really think of any other logical explanation.

I'm not saying Glennon is the reincarnation of Unitas but he is better than Geno and worth a 3rd rd pick and the people dismissing just haven't done their homework

Dear God. The kid is on a team that needs a QB and they don't to play him. Teams that are certifiably desperate for QBs passed on him and elected to use the resources they could easily have gotten him with on Logan Thomas and Johnny Manziel. The fact that those guys sucked is not in Glennon's favor. I have said repeatedly that I don't have a problem with Glennon as a prospect, but IMO he is no clear cut savior or even clear cut above Geno.

Lovie Smith is still there. Coaches do get fired after one year - that is how Pettine got there in Cleveland to ask about Glennon.. I don't see how any of it relates to "good faith" It's not like Lovie realized the error of his ways when he moved on from McCown. Now he is probably drafting a QB #! overall. I get you guys like Glennon, but a 2nd is high IMO and he is a competition guy, there is no way on God's green earth you hand him the job. .

You're a fan of a team who just fired a coach that most certainly played 'his guys' over others. All other coaches are immune to this all of a sudden?

Proof is in the pudding BTW, look at Glennon's #s. They're not that bad considering TB is and has been a terrible team for a while. 17 wins in the past 4 seasons with 3 different coaches. It's a sh*t franchise. Do I think they are overlooking Glennon? That is entirely possible.

Dear God.  The kid is on a team that needs a QB and they don't to play him.  Teams that are certifiably desperate for QBs passed on him and elected to use the resources they could easily have gotten him with on Logan Thomas and Johnny Manziel.  The fact that those guys sucked is not in Glennon's favor.  I have said repeatedly that I don't have a problem with Glennon as a prospect, but IMO he is no clear cut savior or even clear cut above Geno.

Lovie Smith is still there.  Coaches do get fired after one year - that is how Pettine got there in Cleveland to ask about Glennon.. I don't see how any of it relates to "good faith"  It's not like Lovie realized the error of his ways when he moved on from McCown.  Now he is probably drafting a QB #! overall.  I get you guys like Glennon, but a 2nd is high IMO and he is a competition guy, there is no way on God's green earth you hand him the job.  .

I'm just tired of the Jets not having a QB so I'm not concerned with who Lovie Smith likes and who he doesn't like.  Not interested in Mike Pettine or any other team that passed on Glennon.  I just care about the fact that he is a young QB who has played well when given the opportunity despite being surrounded by one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Young and productive in the face of adversity on a POS team is infinitely better than what we've seen from Geno and certainly better than what we're likely to see from any of the 2nd round or lower QB's coming out.

I'm not saying Glennon is the reincarnation of Unitas but he is better than Geno and worth a 3rd rd pick and the people dismissing just haven't done their homework

Yup...he's been better than anyone the Jets have had since Favre.

You're a fan of a team who just fired a coach that most certainly played 'his guys' over others. All other coaches are immune to this all of a sudden?

Proof is in the pudding BTW, look at Glennon's #s. They're not that bad considering TB is and has been a terrible team for a while. 17 wins in the past 4 seasons with 3 different coaches. It's a sh*t franchise. Do I think they are overlooking Glennon? That is entirely possible.

A QB putting up numbers while losing game after game is not that impressive IMO.  The one thing I really like is his TD/INT ratio.  The point is that Tampa already shopped him.  It's not just that Tampa would have to be stupid, but the rest of the league too.  I don't even give a ****, but I am pretty A-OK with our front office not burning a second on this kid. 

I don't like Hundley, but I would be very interested if they think they can "fix" him because he seems to be less than the sum of his parts.  I would guess that they only had him in on the off chance he drops or if he is bouncing around later. The Hundley in the 2nd conjecture is more what caused me to stand up here because AFJ would prefer Glennon.  I can see that, but while I don't have a problem sending a 4th for Glennon  and I wouldn't complain much about a 3rd, but I'd be groaning like I was in the cage with the ape in Trading Places if they gave up 37th overall.

A QB putting up numbers while losing game after game is not that impressive IMO.  The one thing I really like is his TD/INT ratio.  The point is that Tampa already shopped him.  It's not just that Tampa would have to be stupid, but the rest of the league too.  I don't even give a ****, but I am pretty A-OK with our front office not burning a second on this kid. 

I don't like Hundley, but I would be very interested if they think they can "fix" him because he seems to be less than the sum of his parts.  I would guess that they only had him in on the off chance he drops or if he is bouncing around later. The Hundley in the 2nd conjecture is more what caused me to stand up here because AFJ would prefer Glennon.  I can see that, but while I don't have a problem sending a 4th for Glennon  and I wouldn't complain much about a 3rd, but I'd be groaning like I was in the cage with the ape in Trading Places if they gave up 37th overall.

I get that they're losing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's all on Glennon.  If they're 5-13 in games that he starts, but 1-13 in games that he doesn't...shouldn't that show that he makes that team a lot better despite them being a dumpster fire.  It's not unheard of to have a player go from a POS team to a more talented team and succeed.  That's usually around the time the experts start saying "where has this guy been all this time"? 

Like VTF I don't think he's the be all-end all, but taking a look at what's on the Jets roster and what's realistically available, I don't see a better QB that can be brought in unless Rivers shakes loose in SD.

I get that they're losing, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's all on Glennon.  If they're 5-13 in games that he starts, but 1-13 in games that he doesn't...shouldn't that show that he makes that team a lot better despite them being a dumpster fire.  It's not unheard of to have a player go from a POS team to a more talented team and succeed.  That's usually around the time the experts start saying "where has this guy been all this time"? 

Like VTF I don't think he's the be all-end all, but taking a look at what's on the Jets roster and what's realistically available, I don't see a better QB that can be brought in unless Rivers shakes loose in SD.

Don't necessarily disagree.  I just think if it is for a 2nd I would just as soon wait.

You think that neck is going to be our best QB in a quarter century? It's like a periscope to see over the line?

Dude is 6' 6'' and he'd be 5' 11'' with an normal sized neck..but hey, ability to see the whole field is one more attribute to like about him.

A 2nd or 3rd round pick for a QB who only Jet fans want. It warms the cold areas of my heart that none of you mooks will have anything to do with the formation of the Jets roster.

If they waste a 2nd rounder on another project at QB I'll be wishing anybody willing to part with a lottery ticket in exchange for an NFL QB had been involved in the process.

Hopefully they trade up or package #6 and whatever else it takes to get an NFL QB...it'd be a nice change from the crap shoot so many fans prefer.

If they waste a 2nd rounder on another project at QB I'll be wishing anybody willing to part with a lottery ticket in exchange for an NFL QB had been involved in the process.

Hopefully they trade up or package #6 and whatever else it takes to get an NFL QB...it'd be a nice change from the crap shoot so many fans prefer.

There's no such savior in this draft. At least not immediately. QBs need to be developed or placed into similar programs they ran at the college level.

There's no such savior in this draft. At least not immediately. QBs need to be developed or placed into similar programs they ran at the college level.

So are you suggesting we take another three to five years to work on developing another QB instead of trading for a young QB who has played well in the NFL with the very limited opportunities he's been given with one of the least talented rosters in the NFL?  Or do you think Geno is the answer because he ran a spread offense at West Virginia?

So are you suggesting we take another three to five years to work on developing another QB instead of trading for a young QB who has played well in the NFL with the very limited opportunities he's been given with one of the least talented rosters in the NFL?  Or do you think Geno is the answer because he ran a spread offense at West Virginia?

I know what Glennon is and it's not what I want in a QB. I don't know want Geno is yet. Whatever the Jets decide, I will fall in line with until I get enough information to make up my own mind.

I know what Glennon is and it's not what I want in a QB. I don't know want Geno is yet. Whatever the Jets decide, I will fall in line with until I get enough information to make up my own mind.

Cool...difference of opinion and I'm not going to pretend to know more than you do.  I just like the idea of a young, strong-armed QB who has shown he can play in the NFL over a young, strong-armed QB who has been a train wreck or a draft pick who is years away from being competent.  Can't wait to watch it all play out.

Archived