NY Jets Rumors: Mike Glennon Trade Option

flgreen

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THIS.  Plus, and I am repeating myself, Glennon wasn't force feed into starting like Geno was before he was ready.  In fact, he was more NFL ready then Geno from the get go.   That is why I am not swayed by simply looking at his numbers vs. Geno.   I freely admit that Smith has been very inconsistent and struggled mightily; he also has shown some flashes of ability to be a good quarterback.   Will he put it all together in his 3rd year?  I have no idea and I realize most doubt and I understand how they feel.  I think he demonstrate that he has grown and gotten better as qb.  

I would have no problem bringing Glennon for no more than a 4th because there is no guarantee in my mind that his going to beat out Geno Smith.   Every coach wants to win and the dude couldn't start for the Bucs of all teams; I don't know why we keep dismissing that.   

I can tell you why I'm dismissing it.  He performed well enough as a rookie to justify being given the starting role.  Completed just a shade under 60% of his passes to go along with 19TD and just 9 INTs.  With that being the case, the Bucs signed a scrub QB who they've already let go, and anointed him the starter w/o any competition.  They clearly started the inferior player which tells me they just don't like Glennon.  What other reason could you give for benching a guy who went 19/9 and 59.6% comp as a rookie on  a bad team?

It  may not be the Jets, but somebody is gonna' get a bargain by trading for this guy.

Never quite understood why Idzik was so against that thought.

He knew that he didn't know WTF he was doing and that he wasn't qualified to BE the general manager for an NFL team, especially one in the country's biggest market. So what he did was "do his job" with fear as his #1 motivating factor. In his mind, to be found out would be the worst thing that could happen so he figured the less he did, the lesser the chance of him being discovered to be fraud that he knew he was. The amazing thing about it though is that he lasted as long as he did, FAKING his way from paycheck to paycheck. You can't blame the guy though, I mean he had two pretty lucrative years that would be enough to set him up for the rest of his life, I mean he made somewhere between 1-3 million a year, now stick 35% of that in the bank and you have a nice little nest egg to help him relax in the sun next to the pool with. Then in doing the research for this post I see that even more amazing is the fact that he was hired by Jacksonville...go figure. 

I think I would do a third. We would need to devote some attention to the Oline too, though, as he is not too mobile.

Right now they have fifteen O-linemen on the roster.

Brick/Mangold/Carpenter are locks to start.  Brick has lost a step but still good enough in pass protection.  Scouting reports on Carpenter say that his run blocking is weak but pass blocking is solid...Mangold is Mangold.

That means twelve guys competing for the other two spots.  I think the O-line will be fine.

Why would I suggest giving up anything for any player who would have little or no impact?  That  may be your opinion, but it's not mine.

Going from a QB with 25 TD 34 INT to a QB with 29 TD 15 INT would have a pretty profound impact. 

Just think about that for a second...the New York Jets playing football games with a quarterback who produces significantly more touchdowns than interceptions.  How would that NOT be a huge impact over what we've had for much of the past decade?

I am a BIG NC State fan. Watched Glennon in his entirety.  I am somewhat surprised his stats are that good...but I dont believe he will have any impact on the NFL other than to be a starter on a team with a losing record.  he is no difference maker in my view.

Right now they have fifteen O-linemen on the roster.

Brick/Mangold/Carpenter are locks to start.  Brick has lost a step but still good enough in pass protection.  Scouting reports on Carpenter say that his run blocking is weak but pass blocking is solid...Mangold is Mangold.

That means twelve guys competing for the other two spots.  I think the O-line will be fine.

Inclined to agree but I would be even happier if we could plug in a legit stud at one of the guard positions or right tackle.

I am a BIG NC State fan. Watched Glennon in his entirety.  I am somewhat surprised his stats are that good...but I dont believe he will have any impact on the NFL other than to be a starter on a team with a losing record.  he is no difference maker in my view.

That's cool...it's what we're all here for...to share our opinions.

Mine is that he'll be a better than average QB and yours is that he won't.

Time will tell.

Inclined to agree but I would be even happier if we could plug in a legit stud at one of the guard positions or right tackle.

Yeah, I'm really curious about Giacomini...he was an Idzik guy who was good but not great.  I also have  high hopes for Dozier.

Damn do I miss Damien Woody.

Absolutely nothing, but my original question, which covers the overall history of the organization was "When have the Bucs ever become the standard of talent evaluation"? 

And its not like its the "Super Bowl Bucs" thats saying that Mike Glennon isn't worth it, this is the organization that thought it was a good idea to name Josh McCown the starter. 

But what has that got to do with where or not Jason Licht will trade Glennon or what value does he place on Winston?  The GM does not name the starter but the HC. Glennon was not tied to either so why would the GM overule the HC. You act like moving on from Glennon to go with McNown was something out of right field.

Actually...they should just call Tampa and make it a conditional pick.

If he starts fewer than half the games it's a 4th rounder.  Starts more than half it's a 3rd.  Starts more than half and makes the playoffs it's a 2nd.

That's cool...it's what we're all here for...to share our opinions.

Mine is that he'll be a better than average QB and yours is that he won't.

Time will tell.

All he has to be is average and consistant. Which is a huge upgrade at qb over what the jets have had over the last 4 years.   Any incremental upgrade at the most important position on the field is worth the draft choice. There is nobody in this draft that the jets are going to draft at #70 that will improve the team's performance as much as Glennon will. Then throw in the possibilty that he may grow to be better than average a trade for a 3rd is a no brainer ifthe jets are looking to improve the QB position in 2015.

Now the jets may be willing to finish in the bottom of the division again, if they believe that would leave them in a position to draft a true franchise guy next year.

All he has to be is average and consistant. Which is a huge upgrade at qb over what the jets have had over the last 4 years.   Any incremental upgrade at the most important position on the field is worth the draft choice. There is nobody in this draft that the jets are going to draft at #70 that will improve the team's performance as much as Glennon will.

Exaclty my point in being happy with giving up a 2nd.  I get that the draft is a  huge event and it's fun to scrutinize the picks and predict how they'll do, etc...

However, I take the young QB who has shown he can play infinitely better than Geno or Sanchez did in their first two seasons.

Like I said above...make it conditional.  Fourth if he's not the regular starter, 3rd if he is, 2nd if he is and they make the playoffs.

If TB says "second rounder or nothing" on draft day then I give them the pick that could be used on Bryce Petty.

Actually...they should just call Tampa and make it a conditional pick.

If he starts fewer than half the games it's a 4th rounder.  Starts more than half it's a 3rd.  Starts more than half and makes the playoffs it's a 2nd.

Why would Tampa do that? Now you want to trade a future pick and make it conditional.  You have to look at it from Tamps perspective,  Next year picks are devalued by 1 round. so you want to assure that they only get the value of a 5th this year, and the jets could end up going .500 and next year pick could be #20 in the round. All the while tampa has to get a another QB that will get paid 3X what Glennon is and offers less performance value than Glennon.  If you want to give the the 4th this year and another one next year, that is somewhat value.  

This man is a CPA...listen to him!

:winking0001:

Why would Tampa do that? Now you want to trade a future pick and make it conditional.  You have to look at it from Tamps perspective,  Next year picks are devalued by 1 round. so you want to assure that they only get the value of a 5th this year, and the jets could end up going .500 and next year pick could be #20 in the round. All the while tampa has to get a another QB that will get paid 3X what Glennon is and offers less performance value than Glennon.  If you want to give the the 4th this year and another one next year, that is somewhat value.  

Fair point...just throwing some ideas out there since but if other teams are offering TB a 2nd or 3rd this year then you have no shot.  The fact that he's still on the roster tells me they don't want to deal him or nobody is offering what they want.  Offering a conditional pick that could rise to a 2nd could make it the most appealing offer they get.

By no means am I pretending to know what TB has been offered if anything at all, but if interested teams are offering 3rd and 4th rounders then a possible 2nd could get it done.

If they just say they want a 2nd this year I'd do that too, but you obviously want to give up as little as possible.

But what has that got to do with where or not Jason Licht will trade Glennon or what value does he place on Winston?  The GM does not name the starter but the HC. Glennon was not tied to either so why would the GM overule the HC. You act like moving on from Glennon to go with McNown was something out of right field.

Stop changing the question. You asked: "your completely Sold on a guy who the worst team in football doesn't think  is good enough to be in the teams future or present plans?" My position is obvious on Glennon. Now my response was "What's made the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the standard on talent evaluation"? 

Im dont want to go in circles. You asked a question, you know that im sold on him, now im asking what makes the Bucs the standard to the point where you felt like even asking me the question had some sort of relevance to Glennons ability, or lack of it. 

Matt Simms = Mike Glennon

College

Simms 8 TD/ 8 INT 54% comp pct

Glennon 63 TD/31 INT 60% comp pct

Pro

Simms 1 TD/ 1 INT 48.7% comp pct

Glennon 29 TD/15 INT 58.8 pct comp pct

Seems legit.

College

Simms 8 TD/ 8 INT 54% comp pct

Glennon 63 TD/31 INT 60% comp pct

Pro

Simms 1 TD/ 1 INT 48.7% comp pct

Glennon 29 TD/15 INT 58.8 pct comp pct

Seems legit.

Simms is kicking ass and taking names. lol

Didnt Rex Ryan chuckle during an interview when a reporter asked if Simms had the chance of starting at QB when both Vick and Geno were struggling? I've literally never heard a coach chuckle in regards to a player on their roster possibly starting.  

Simms is kicking ass and taking names. lol

Didnt Rex Ryan chuckle during an interview when a reporter asked if Simms had the chance of starting at QB when both Vick and Geno were struggling? I've literally never heard a coach chuckle in regards to a player on their roster possibly starting.  

I think Rex was chucking because the guy asking the question didn't realize Idzik was picking the starting QB and Rex didn't have much say.  JMO  of course.

Yes...for two reasons IMO.

1) IF...and that's an unkown at this point but IF they plan on using 37 on one of the second-tier guys then just use the pick to get a guy who has played well on a horrific team.

2) Who else are they gonna' go with at QB? The Jets have spent what, $60 million(ish) in free agency?  They are building a "win now" team whether people feel like they can win or not.  The last, and most important hole on the roster is at QB.  Winston won't be there, Mariota may not be there, Rivers isn't available, Brees isn't available....good young QB's don't hit the market that often and we've gone 50 years w/o a QB.  I just want this team to get a QB already.

This.

The Jets seem interested in Hundley.  Hundley is projected to go in the 2nd.  I suspect the Jets are hoping he falls to the 3rd, or if they trade out of 6 a later 2nd.

I hate to give up a 2nd in a trade for Glennon, but if the Jets are serious about drafting Hundley, I just  think  they would be insane to pass on a QB who is at least as good a prospect as Hundley, and has actually shown he can play in the NFL.  Don't know if Glennon is going to be a star, but he certainly has the tools 6'6", a very strong arm, and over 19 games has played well on a very weak team.  Seems like a no brainer.

I'd offer a 4th, and Smith for him.  As little value as Smith has on the trade market right now, TB may be interested in him as a back up, or an emergency starter in case Winston starts off slow.  I also like AFJF's idea of offering a conditional slide up pick.  If the guy starts from day one, higher picks.  As Villain has said, and it's not really much of an accomplishment, he will be the best QB on the Jets immediately.

GO RANGERS    

Okay we are now on 9 pages of the "ny jets, mike glennon trade rumor".  Question, where was this rumor reported; is there anything to this or just wishful thinking?  

Of course like every thing else in the few weeks leading up to the draft, it's a rumor.    But it's  being talked  about in the TB media on a daily basis.   Even some Nation media.  Not exclusively about a trade to the Jets, but the fact that Glennon in on the market.  Seems very  likely Glennon will be moved  Example 

Mike Glennon generating buzz as Bucs trade candidate
  •  
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    share-button.png

• By Chris Wesseling
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 9, 2015 at 05:04 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 9, 2015 at 09:24 p.m.

The days of NFL teams deciding between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper in free agency are long gone.

Combine on NFL Network
0ap3000000469008.jpgIn advance of the draft, Marcus Mariota and others will look to showcase their skills at the combine (Feb. 17-23), only on NFL Network. SCHEDULE

With yet another weak crop of quarterbacks set to hit the market next month, Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon is generating buzz as a trade target for the second time since general manager Jason Licht and coach Lovie Smith took control of the organization last offseason.

Although Lovie Smith has publicly touted Glennon as thequarterback of the future, his actions suggest otherwise.

Even in the meaningless final month of a lost season, Glennon couldn't unseat underwhelming journeyman starterJosh McCown.

If the Bucs' personnel department has designs on Florida State's Jameis Winston or Oregon's Marcus Mariota with the No. 1 overall draft pick, Licht will entertain offers for Glennon.

That prospect begs the followin

g questions: What is Glennon's value? And which teams will be interested?

With 29 touchdowns in 19 career games, Glennon is more than just a reclamation project. En route to earning Offensive Rookie of the Month honors in November of 2013, he became the first rookie in NFL history to throw at least one touchdown pass in his first eight games.

Gushed Greg Schiano at time, "I think this is a guy that certainly, as long as he continues on this trajectory, is a guy you'd love to have as a quarterback for a long time."

0ap3000000482715.jpg

The problem is that Glennon didn't continue on that trajectory. His 2014 game tape is unimpressive, showing an immobile, often indecisive passer with accuracy issues and an inability to move the offense for quarters at a time.

Boasting prototypical size and a strong arm, though, Glennon is sure to attract suitors willing to gamble on a bounce-back season with better coaching and consistent blocking.

The Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds believes Licht would settle for a third-round pick but no less than a fourth-rounder in return for Glennon. We see the latter as a more realistic price tag.

The ideal trade partner is one with an unproven quarterback yet to establish himself as the answer, such as the Browns (Johnny Manziel), Bills (EJ Manuel), Titans (Zach Mettenberger) and Jets (Geno Smith).

Glennon is one of the NFL's top 32 quarterbacks. He should be under center in another city when the 2015 season opens.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast breaks down the top 25 free agents and reacts to the latest news. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Archived