#DeflateGate... WTH will this thing be resolved?!%&#

32EBoozer

Well, of course. The draft is always a crapshoot. For example, only about 20% of non-Heisman QB's drafted in the first round have become franchise QB's since 1970, so that means 80% of the picks are busts. But still, generally speaking, the higher the draft pick the better the chances. Even though Montana went in the third round and Brady in the 6th, I would rather have a 1st-round pick in any given year. And within that round, the higher the pick, the better.

OK, but it sounds like we may be talking past each other, so let me be clear. Let's say that the Patriots pick 32nd this year and 26th in 2016. I'm quite sure that every single GM in the league will tell you that pick 32 in 2015 is worth more than pick 26 in 2016. This has nothing to do with how strong the draft is in each year or who, with the benefit of hindsight, ultimately gets selected in those spots. Rather, there is a "time value" of draft picks that makes today's late first rounder more valuable than tomorrow's late first rounder.

So it would actually be more costly for the Patriots to lose pick 32 this year than lose a slightly higher pick next year. (If there is anything I disagree with you about, I think this is it, as I think you would say that it would be worse for the Patriots if they lose a higher pick next year instead). There is a tipping point somewhere in next year's draft order (I'm guessing it is once we hit the teens), where the value balance tips in favor of 2016, but the Patriots will not get there unless they have an unexpectedly bad season in 2015.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, but it sounds like we may be talking past each other, so let me be clear. Let's say that the Patriots pick 32nd this year and 26th in 2016. I'm quite sure that every single GM in the league will tell you that pick 32 in 2015 is worth more than pick 26 in 2016. This has nothing to do with how strong the draft is in each year or who, with the benefit of hindsight, ultimately gets selected in those spots. Rather, there is a "time value" of draft picks that makes today's late first rounder more valuable than tomorrow's late first rounder.

So it would actually be more costly for the Patriots to lose pick 32 this year than lose a slightly higher pick next year. (If there is anything I disagree with you about, I think this is it, as I think you would say that it would be worse for the Patriots if the lose a higher pick next year instead). There is a tipping point somewhere in next year's draft order (I'm guessing it is once we hit the teens), where the value balance tips in favor 2016, but the Patriots will not get there unless they have an unexpectedly bad season in 2015.

Next year the 2016 pick will be more valuable than the 1st round pick at 32, also I think it is a pretty safe assumption that the Browns, Raiders, Titans 2016 first rounders will be more valuable than the Patriots 2015 first rounder

Were the footballs all properly inflated at the 2nd check?  Did the refs and the league use those footballs?  Were the footballs legal or illegal when they were to be used? 

They cannot even say the balls were properly inflated on the first check.  I know...the refs said they were.

Much easier would be to require the balls to be stored outside, or at least in an unheated space at the outside temperature. Of course, the manufacturer claims their balls won't deflate under falling temperatures, which is possible if the balls have good enough thermal properties. Proper testing should determine if the manufacturer's claim is valid.

You know a new protocol is coming down on how to handle the balls. 

Yeah, like the elimination of the tuck rule

Like the rule change regarding player eligibility reporting.

Like the low hit on the QB rule

Seems to be a theme here......

I've already beta tested it by providing the new ball handling protocol manual to my wife.  It has met with tremendous and enthusiastic approval.  

Thumbs up!  Er... wait... I didn't mean that.  

Yeah, like the elimination of the tuck rule

Like the rule change regarding player eligibility reporting.

Like the low hit on the QB rule

Seems to be a theme here......

What about chucking the wr after the 5 yard mark? 

They visit the President and he rolls out the deflategate jokes. Something about how he usually says jokes at these things but 11 out of 12 of them fall flat.......but the whole thing has been blown out of proportion etc. Terrible jokes but you could see Kraft turn away a bit embarassed. There's probably vid of it online somewhere.

Pats visit to the White House.

"I usually tell a bunch of jokes at these events, but with the Patriots coming to town I was worried 11 of 12 of them would fall flat," said Obama

Had no idea that was today. Now they can release the results and ban Brady and Beli for life.

Jet fan, is was just a sales rep and when he stated that the balls will not deflate, it was in the context that the ball will not lose air. Not that a Wet leather ball will prevent a change in PSI due eto weather conditions.

This is the conversation. He took exception to the statement that BB made that rubbing the balls briskly will incerease the PSI, He did not refer to the rest of BB's argument regarding the change in atmosphericconditions

representative for Wilson, the NFL's official football manufacturer, says New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's explanation for why his team's footballs were under-inflated doesn't hold water. 

At a press conference Saturday, Belichick posited that rubbing the footballs to break them in could temporarily raise the air pressure level by one pound per square inch. 

"That's b.s.," Wilson rep Jim Jenkins told Boston.com at a Super Bowl fan convention. "That's b.s., man."

If that is all that was said, I stand corrected. Nonetheless, physical testing is important, I think.

So it would actually be more costly for the Patriots to lose pick 32 this year than lose a slightly higher pick next year. (If there is anything I disagree with you about, I think this is it, as I think you would say that it would be worse for the Patriots if they lose a higher pick next year instead). There is a tipping point somewhere in next year's draft order (I'm guessing it is once we hit the teens), where the value balance tips in favor of 2016, but the Patriots will not get there unless they have an unexpectedly bad season in 2015.

Interesting. I had not heard of the concept you describe. Not saying it isn't there, just haven't heard of it. I guess it makes sense if you get a good player a year earlier, it stands to reason he can help the team sooner. But the player you take the next year will tend to be there a year after the earlier-picked player has left, so I would think it would average out over time. But the higher-level picks would tend to remain an advantage over time.

I think they are in a tight spot only if there is definitive evidence of cheating. If there is definitive evidence that exonerates them, why not release it immediately?

Please haters will  just say it is a whitewash no matter what or when. 

Your constant rambling hurts my head. Are you trying to convince yourself or everyone else here that the Patriots are innocent.

Completely innocent.

If they weren't, there would have been suspensions, lost draft picks and fines by now.

Nothing there, move on and find the next fabricated cheating scandal against the Pats.

Completely innocent.

If they weren't, there would have been suspensions, lost draft picks and fines by now.

Nothing there, move on and find the next fabricated cheating scandal against the Pats.

To be honest, I dont even care. But, it will be interesting to see what the investigation reveals which should be announced any day now.

Had no idea that was today. Now they can release the results and ban Brady and Beli for life.

Exactly, I had a feeling the league may have decided to wait until after the meeting with POTUS. Makes sense, would have been even more embarrassing!

they are waiting for the slow season.  the revis tampering will probably come out first, maybe in may.  deflate gate feels like a june deal

A couple of weeks ago everyone hear thought they were going to announce it during the final four so it would not get pub, now they are going to announce it during a slow period to get pub?

A couple of weeks ago everyone hear thought they were going to announce it during the final four so it would not get pub, now they are going to announce it during a slow period to get pub?

listen pub, stick to pretending the pats* aren't cheaters and sticking your fingers in your ears and singing LALALALALALALALALALALLA and let the grownups discuss this

listen pub, stick to pretending the pats* aren't cheaters and sticking your fingers in your ears and singing LALALALALALALALALALALLA and let the grownups discuss this

Shouldn't the grown-ups here be discussing who the Jets will be drafting with yet another top 10 draft pick rather than some fabricated story about the Super Bowl champions?

Shouldn't the grown-ups here be discussing who the Jets will be drafting with yet another top 10 draft pick rather than some fabricated story about the Super Bowl champions?

you don't contribute anything to this board.  you are dog sh*t on my shoe.  

sever narcissicm combined with low self esteem and sadistic tendencies must make for some awesome personal realtionships.  Is that why you are always here trolling ?  Nobody loves you ?   lol

They visit the President and he rolls out the deflategate jokes. Something about how he usually says jokes at these things but 11 out of 12 of them fall flat.......but the whole thing has been blown out of proportion etc. Terrible jokes but you could see Kraft turn away a bit embarassed. There's probably vid of it online somewhere.

That was fantastic. He went up a notch in my book after that. Then that clinical retard Gronk calling the President drunk

Archived