I say **** it and trade for Rivers.

SenorGato

Every qb has flaws including Brady, manning and Rogers. Rivers does not have many more than those three. SD does not want to trade him. SD has asked the nfl to relocate to LA in two years, Rivers has said he won't resign long term with a team in LA.

Maybe he just doesn't like L.A. It's not as though Rivers can stay in SD if/after the Chargers move, unless he retires and passes up on a guaranteed $60M+ over the next 3 years.

It could be that he's comfortable where he is, but if a move is needed/necessary he'd rather go elsewhere. I agree that may not necessarily be to the Jets, but weather and distance to SD aside, proximity to NYC does have an appeal to many.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we could somehow get him without giving up Wilkerson I'd be on board.  I like Rivers more than anyone we'd be getting at 6.  If the cost is two first rounders I'd say no.  6th pick plus a 2016 2nd rounder would be fine with me.

Whats amazing is how quickly the Jets became a win now team with all the moves we made in the off season. having a top QB would be nice and Rivers is a top QB in this league . We have the talent now on offense for him to do just fine the Question is will he play crappy in the playoffs like he's done in the past ?

If we could somehow get him without giving up Wilkerson I'd be on board.  I like Rivers more than anyone we'd be getting at 6.  If the cost is two first rounders I'd say no.  6th pick plus a 2016 2nd rounder would be fine with me.

That's a different story and we'd be sill not to do that...but I'm not including Mo Wilk in anything and I'm not giving up 2 first rounders.  Hell NO!

He's not coming to NY.  He's a good old boy who wont got to LA.  

Rivers for the next 3-4 yrs make us a Superbowl contender I can't believe this is a debate especially if its for the 6th pick straight up, Mac will pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

That a no-brainer...but that's not what people are spit balling in the thread. 

I can see SD moving on from Rivers, but I don't see Rivers thinking NYC is an option for his family values tour, if LA isn't. Rivers volatile personality would also not be a fit for north east media market.

Houston and Tenn are the two teams that have a qb need and both may well need a qb next year. Tenn may pass or trade Marriota and I like Mallet but I don't see him progressing to Rivers status during his career. Both teams offer a location where fundamentalist Christian values are welcomed. Both head coaches are known for being qb friendly.

If Rivers was ok with the move the trade of Wilk and a #2 this year and next years 1 would be equal value in my eyes. Wilk would have to go to fit Rivers 14 mill salary under the cap. The number 38 would position them for both Hundley in the 2nd and maybe Grayson in the 4th. Then in two years when the stadium is built hopefully they will have a young qb to build around.

Rivers isn't a fundy, he's a Catholic.

I agree no way We trade the farm for him, now 5 yrs ago that's another story.

That's a different story and we'd be sill not to do that...but I'm not including Mo Wilk in anything and I'm not giving up 2 first rounders.  Hell NO!

He's not coming to NY.  He's a good old boy who wont got to LA.  

Does he have a say in where he goes?  Other than simply retiring or refusing to play, that is. 

Maybe he just doesn't like L.A. It's not as though Rivers can stay in SD if/after the Chargers move, unless he retires and passes up on a guaranteed $60M+ over the next 3 years.

It could be that he's comfortable where he is, but if a move is needed/necessary he'd rather go elsewhere. I agree that may not necessarily be to the Jets, but weather and distance to SD aside, proximity to NYC does have an appeal to many.

Rivers is a FA after 2015, so I don't understand the "passing up 60 mill" comes from. The Chargers can tag him in 2016 the last year they play in SD for about 22 mill, his tag number in 2017 the first year the chargers play in LA is about 27-28 mill which is a lot for a qb that prefers to play elsewhere.

Given his religious background, and the way his kids are home schooled and such I thought his "refusal" to play in LA  was more along the lines of it being Gomorrah, which NYC would certainly fall into also.

Yeah, they coincide at the crucifix and that's pretty much where it ends. As a Catholic who lived in the South with fundys I know what I'm talking about.

I was stationed down south for three years in the early 70s and myself being Catholic I also understand. The morals that both sects teach on how your life and your family life should be conducted are similar. 

By the way Rivers never had a defense behind him like the one we assemble this off season getting him would be very scary and have the league on notice.

I thought that defense was pretty good when Merriman was there, under Wade Phillips no?

It seems that Rivers has the weirdest throwing motion I've ever seen - I hate it, but he succeeds. Maybe throwing mechanics is overrated, because this guy has a terrible one, at least that is how it looks to my untrained eye.

His mechanics I think are fine, his arm delivery motion I agree is weird.  But they say his feet and torso are textbook.

The Jets had 1 losing season with Sanchez as a starter.

Never said he wasnt a good QB, he is good.  But he's underachiever, a dbag and I hate his guts and I'm not trading 2 firsts or any first and Mo Wilk for him...like people are suggesting. He's what 34?  

your first point should tell you all you need to know about focusing so much on W/L for a QB

And he's a great QB, much much more valuable then Mo Wilk

your first point should tell you all you need to know about focusing so much on W/L for a QB

And he's a great QB, much much more valuable then Mo Wilk

He's very good.  I wouldnt call him a great.  Of course he's more valuable than Mo Wilk...but I disagree that he's worth him +picks like people are suggesting.  Not at 34 at the down turn of his career (he threw the most picks in the league last year).

Rivers is a FA after 2015, so I don't understand the "passing up 60 mill" comes from. The Chargers can tag him in 2016 the last year they play in SD for about 22 mill, his tag number in 2017 the first year the chargers play in LA is about 27-28 mill which is a lot for a qb that prefers to play elsewhere.

Given his religious background, and the way his kids are home schooled and such I thought his "refusal" to play in LA  was more along the lines of it being Gomorrah, which NYC would certainly fall into also.

Passing on 60 mil would be if the choices, in his mind, were staying in SD (if the bolts don't relocate) or retiring. If SD moves he can't play there anymore no matter how much he wishes.

Plus he's not hitting free agency. Not ever. SD will tag him.

He's very good.  I wouldnt call him a great.  Of course he's more valuable than Mo Wilk...but I disagree that he's worth him +picks like people are suggesting.  Not at 34 at the down turn of his career (he threw the most picks in the league last year).

What does that random stat proove? How many passes did he throw, How many of them when the team was down 2 scores with 10 min to play, how many before the 1/2 on a throw away. he also threw over 30 td and completed almost 2/3rds of his throws.  

What does that random stat proove? How many passes did he throw, How many of them when the team was down 2 scores with 10 min to play, how many before the 1/2 on a throw away. he also threw over 30 td and completed almost 2/3rds of his throws.  

How exactly is the amount of INT's a QB throws a random stat?  Is TD's thrown a random stat too? 

And yes, many were back breaking.  The final game of the season comes to mind.  Didnt they own the tie breaker vs. the Ravens?  Rivers throws 2 back breaking picks at the end of each half. He had a chance vs. the Broncos too, threw 2 4 quarter INT's.  I also recall the Dolphags picking him off 3 or 4 times. 

So yeah, picks are random stats that I just pluck out of the air.  Just like TD's. 

Passing on 60 mil would be if the choices, in his mind, were staying in SD (if the bolts don't relocate) or retiring. If SD moves he can't play there anymore no matter how much he wishes.

Understood that they will tag him in 2016  for 22 mill, he won't have an issue with that, they still will be playing in SD. In 2017 if they tag him again, it will be a 25% increase or 28 mill for 2017. What is SD choice have him sit out the first 8 games, get paid 14 mill and do it again for 35 mill in 2018 and him play again 1/2 the year for 19 mill? And what if the stadium takes 3 seasons to approve and build.  All the while SD goes nowhere with all that money tied up in a qb that plays 1/2 the games for the new fanbase.  

I can see it  -- C'mon LA lets gets behind the chargers, don't mind that the QB rather sit at home for 1/2 the season than play in the town you call home.  Come see us, you don't want to back that other team that played in LA for 40 years of which most of you are still fans of.

How exactly is the amount of INT's a QB throws a random stat?  Is TD's thrown a random stat too? 

And yes, many were back breaking.  The final game of the season comes to mind.  Didnt they own the tie breaker vs. the Ravens?  Rivers throws 2 back breaking picks at the end of each half. He had a chance vs. the Broncos too, threw 2 4 quarter INT's.  I also recall the Dolphags picking him off 3 or 4 times. 

So yeah, picks are random stats that I just pluck out of the air.  Just like TD's. 

Look, you think the jets are better of without him, fine.  What did Manning do his last 1/2 of a season. How did Brady look the first 6 games,   What about Brees not being able to lead his team to the playoffs when the team that won the division didn't have a winning record. 

Rivers is one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL, and certainly one of the toughest players in the league.  It would be a nightmare for me as a Patriot fan if Rivers played on the jets.  

Understood that they will tag him in 2016  for 22 mill, he won't have an issue with that, they still will be playing in SD. In 2017 if they tag him again, it will be a 25% increase or 28 mill for 2017. What is SD choice have him sit out the first 8 games, get paid 14 mill and do it again for 35 mill in 2018 and him play again 1/2 the year for 19 mill? And what if the stadium takes 3 seasons to approve and build.  All the while SD goes nowhere with all that money tied up in a qb that plays 1/2 the games for the new fanbase.  

I can see it  -- C'mon LA lets gets behind the chargers, don't mind that the QB rather sit at home for 1/2 the season than play in the town you call home.  Come see us, you don't want to back that other team that played in LA for 40 years of which most of you are still fans of.

It's not me saying he's holding off to see if they move to L.A. It's Rivers.

They may tag and trade, but he's not going to be a FA who can just shop around.

Look, you think the jets are better of without him, fine.  What did Manning do his last 1/2 of a season. How did Brady look the first 6 games,   What about Brees not being able to lead his team to the playoffs when the team that won the division didn't have a winning record. 

Rivers is one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL, and certainly one of the toughest players in the league.  It would be a nightmare for me as a Patriot fan if Rivers played on the jets.  

Never said that.  Ever.   We'd be much better.  Doesnt change the fact he led the league in interceptions, you know, that random little stat that doesnt matter at all or anything. 

And that nightmare, was 20-33, 189, 1 TD, I INT in a loss at home on prime time TV vs the Pats this season.  Did he keep you up that night with such a masterful performance? Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, INT, Punt, Punt, Punt - must have been a Freddy Krueger type nightmare. 

Never said that.  Ever.   We'd be much better.  Doesnt change the fact he led the league in this interceptions, you know, that random little stat that doesnt matter at all or anything. 

And that nightmare, was 20-33, 189, 1 TD, I INT in a loss at home on prime time TV vs the Pats this season.  Did he keep you up that night with such a masterful performance? Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt, INT, Punt, Punt, Punt - must have been a Freddy Krueger type nightmare. 

INT's can be over rated particularly when looking at a single season, you are looking at what happened on a very small percent of his passes, and ignoring the much larger #, that he completely 66% of them. It's like Sanchez in 2010, cut his int total and things were looking up? No, he just had an inordinate amount of dropped INT's that year. (not saying that Rivers had an abnormally low total this year, haven't see the stats)

For his career, Rivers he is tied for the 18th best INT % of all time.. I wouldn't worry about INTs

Any Jet fan that wouldn't want to have Rivers QBing us next year should be put in the looney bin,lol.

OMG!

I can just picture Rivers with a power running game & Decker/Marshall/Amaro.

He really has struggled vs the Pats but he had that gallant effort when he played with a torn ACL.

The guy is a competitor!

Pats vs Jets would be epic over the next 3 years.

Plus we'd finally get to see what happens when we have an REAL QB!

INT's can be over rated particularly when looking at a single season, you are looking at what happened on a very small percent of his passes, and ignoring the much larger #, that he completely 66% of them. It's like Sanchez in 2010, cut his int total and things were looking up? No, he just had an inordinate amount of dropped INT's that year. (not saying that Rivers had an abnormally low total this year, haven't see the stats)

For his career, Rivers he is tied for the 18th best INT % of all time.. I wouldn't worry about INTs

Fair.  LIke I said, you want to trade the #6 (maybe some mid rounders too) for Rivers, you'd be a fool not too but I'm not going all out on him with multiple 1st/2nd round picks and Mo Wilk.  That's just too much for a 34 year who's never really won anything.  Its not like you're trading for a SB winning HOF QB.  Your trading for this:

0e0e3e2a02da329d2a673e5d48b4efdd.jpg

Never said that.  Ever.   We'd be much better.  Doesnt change the fact he led the league in interceptions, you know, that random little stat that doesnt matter at all or anything. 

Wow so he lost to the SB winner, and who ran the ball for him that day?

Yeah, but Rivers is not that guy.  He married his middle school sweetheart after saving themselves until marriage.

Revis is a guy that loves NY.  Rivers does not appear to be interested in pushing his brand like Brady/Manning/Rodgers.

This.  Reality check time.

Here is a list of things the New York Jets do have:

The best non-Seattle secondary in football.The best 3-4 defensive line in football, complete with arguably the two best non-J.J. Watt five-technique ends in the entire league.An overpaid group of linebackers that still knows how to play football sometimes.A talented offensive line whose spirit has been broking blocking for Geno Smith the past two years.Two wide receivers in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker that have proven they can play like Pro Bowlers with the right quarterback.The not-quite decaying remains of Rex Ryan’s vaunted running game (at the very least,Chris Ivory is really tough to tackle).

And here’s a list of things that the New York Jets don’t have:

A viable NFL quarterback

Hmm … that first list is a lot longer than the second list, right? Rivers would be a complete game-changer for the Jets. He would give them the sort of in-his-prime franchise quarterback they haven’t had since … maybe ever. He would make them a viable opponent for the Patriots. He would give the Jets their sense of swagger back, a dire need with Rex Ryan in Buffalo. It would cost an arm and a leg, almost certainly starting with the No. 6 pick in the draft, but adding Rivers would be worth it. With Philip Rivers, the New York Jets could win the Super Bowl.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/five-best-trade-fits-for-philip-rivers-041315 '> http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/five-best-trade-fits-for-philip-rivers-041315

Archived