Rex Ryan throws the Jets under the bus with bomshell SI article.

Jetsbb

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, it's going to take more than one season. I ******* love Rex but after the ridiculous predictions, foot fetish video, dressing up as his brother before the Browns game, throwing the finger at Miami fans, calling out BB, overrating players, team being unprepared after bye weeks, neglecting the offense, failing to adjust after halftime, being stubborn, etc.

Usually that does not happen in 1 season. Honestly though, I do miss him. The players loved him and played their ass for him and that's important.

Ghost:  Believe me,  I do understand where Jets' fans are coming from.   I didn't really follow Rex that closely during his years with the Jets.  However,  I think that a lot of his behavorial actions you have cited were due to frustration with some of the front office plus the fact he knew he was losing his job.  

Doesn't really matter any more, no reason to rehash it.

It's fun that he gets to destroy a divisional rival while we have first-row seats to the circus, he's someone else's folly now.

SAR I

What is funny is how little other franchises know of what rely went on here.  I guess these clubs are too preoccupied with their own stuff to see a parallel.  I mean, we are hearing again from Whaley how Rex brings players to the club.  Rex has not learned a thing.    And nobody up there studied up on him before the hire.

SI thought it was newsworthy to interview Rex - that's good enough for me.

Rex called the season ticket holders before his first game five years ago. It was a great stunt and it got eceryone excited. Unfortunately what happened afterwords was that his team's consistently quit on him later in the year, circumstances beyond his control caused him to make the playoffs twice on wildcard berths, and then he diligently disassembled whatever was left of the offense and put us back in the Stone Age. Enjoy the total unravelling of Doug Marrones hard work. You folks deserve better.

SI thought it was newsworthy to interview Rex - that's good enough for me.

Oh! And let's not overlook that he was so loyal to a sh*tty quarteback in Sanchez, that when Idizk finally cut him, he didn't get picked up for weeks and wasn't ever a starter on merit in the league since.

Having a good working relationship with the GM may be more a problem than a solution.  Some of what we have read makes it seem like Ryan has too much influence.  The downturn in the quality of personnel was on Rex, but we don't know to what extent.  We had hoped that Idzik would stand up to Rex and emphasize offensive personnel.  Unfortunately, it seems Idzik was the worst of both worlds, he didn't set up a roster to Ryan's strengths (no CBs, turnover prone QB) while still giving in to Ryan's vanity (letting him pick Tajh Boyd who was truly horrific).

I get the sense that Ryan and  (Whaley, our GM) are on the same page.  Rex has praised Whaley are number of times for the players he's recruited.  You may know that our owner,  Terry Pegula stepped in to keep Fred Jackson here.  I think this organization is really working as a team.

Ghost:  Believe me,  I do understand where Jets' fans are coming from.   I didn't really follow Rex that closely during his years with the Jets.  However,  I think that a lot of his behavorial actions you have cited were due to frustration with some of the front office plus the fact he knew he was losing his job.  

His big mouth, which ultimately put bulls-eyes on his own players backs, had nothing to do with the GMs.  His country club training camp and practices had nothing to do with the front office.  Finally, the lack of discipline and complete absence of accountability on the team did not filter down from the GM.  Woody tolerated it, it's his fault, but all of those shortcomings were Rex, and Rex alone.  He's a train wreck.  

I get the sense that Ryan and  (Whaley, our GM) are on the same page.  Rex has praised Whaley are number of times for the players he's recruited.  You may know that our owner,  Terry Pegula stepped in to keep Fred Jackson here.  I think this organization is really working as a team.

:face:

You must be young. 

His big mouth, which ultimately put bulls-eyes on his own players backs, had nothing to do with the GMs.  His country club training camp and practices had nothing to do with the front office.  Finally, the lack of discipline and complete absence of accountability on the team did not filter down from the GM.  Woody tolerated it, it's his fault, but all of those shortcomings were Rex, and Rex alone.  He's a train wreck.  

Well you must be happy to have Todd Bowles because I think he is going to be "very" strict about towing the line.  

Go back and read some of Rex Ryan's quotes from the last two years. 

You wouldn't expect him to be negative but he certainly wasn't downplaying the Jets chances, the quality of the roster or his relationship with his GM. 

Neither was Doug Marrone but unlike Rex,  Marrone had plenty to say about the front office after he left.

Hated some of what he said but agreed with Idzik sabotaged him last year.  We had the money to land both Revis and Jackson, there was no clear reason why neither was even offered a contract.

I agree.

He should have just been fired if they were going to do that.  Instead, Idzik lost his job as well, and it will be a long time before he gets a shot at another one.

Neither was Doug Marrone but unlike Rex,  Marrone had plenty to say about the front office after he left.

So you're saying Rex loves the front office that Doug Marrone hated and you're taking his current comments at face value even though he is now ripping the Jets front office that he was praising just six months ago?

Again, you're pretty young, huh?

Quitting takes balls, guts and a spine.  So many successful quitters in the world.  It's really the proof of your manhood. 

True. But why quit and get nothing when you can get fired and still stick it to your boss? You don't think playing through a season as a lame duck takes any guts? or spine?

1.  Rex praises every one that is on the team. 

2.  Being on the same page is not necessarily good.  The Jets did not let many talented players go while Rex was here (made the right cuts) but they didn't bring in much talent either.  It seems he can scout Dline and even that is in question (Coples).  Working as a team is nice, but is it a winning team?  Giving in to Rex is probably not a recipe for success.

So you're saying Rex loves the front office that Doug Marrone hated and you're taking his current comments at face value even though he is now ripping the Jets front office that he was praising just six months ago?

Again, you're pretty young, huh?

I've read and heard plenty of Rex's speeches.  He is not bashing the Jets' front office.  I think Doug Marrone was a control freak.  It was his way or the highway.  He's better off as an assistant and not head coach

1.  Rex praises every one that is on the team. 

2.  Being on the same page is not necessarily good.  The Jets did not let many talented players go while Rex was here (made the right cuts) but they didn't bring in much talent either.  It seems he can scout Dline and even that is in question (Coples).  Working as a team is nice, but is it a winning team?  Giving in to Rex is probably not a recipe for success.

Right now,  I am enjoying what I see.  I'll wait to the end of the season to see how well everything works out.  

Wow.....Rex sure does know how to find scapegoats. If Idzik was to blame for last season than Tanny get's the credit for two back to back AFCG appearances.

I view it more as Rex having a right to his own opinion.

Yup,  yup everyone has a right to their opinion. Who doesn't ? But this is not about freedom of expressing opinions. It's only about a professional Head Coach being unprofessional.

It's football and we have a coach that likes to talk the football and locker room jargon.  No big deal for us here in Buffalo

Wow.....Rex sure does know how to find scapegoats. If Idzik was to blame for last season than Tanny get's the credit for two back to back AFCG appearances.

And he should get credit but many here thought Rex was the real GM and Tanny just did what he wanted.. You can't have it both ways..Although when the Jets drafted Sheldon the cry was that dumb Rex drafted a player that doesn't even fit his system. But when Sheldon shined it became great pick by Idzik so I guess you can have it both ways..LOL

And he should get credit but many here thought Rex was the real GM and Tanny just did what he wanted.. You can't have it both ways..Although when the Jets drafted Sheldon the cry was that dumb Rex drafted a player that doesn't even fit his system. But when Sheldon shined it became great pick by Idzik so I guess you can have it both ways..LOL

At this point one would expect all professionals involved to move on. I like the fact Idzik declined to comment on this article. If Rex and Thurman were focused on their current job than they would have moved on as well. But seems they are still obsessed with the JETS. If I am a Bills fan i am concerned. Because no matter how deep blue the color of your truck is this just shows the HC is still wearing the old team colors on his mind.

Totally agree.

Look, no coach is going to be great without players.  It takes both, and it takes both working together.  Rex was given a 1 year extension, and 40 million of unused $$.  So no real vote of confidence by his boss, and 1/3 of the teams cap unused. 

Totally agree.

Look, no coach is going to be great without players.  It takes both, and it takes both working together.  Rex was given a 1 year extension, and 40 million of unused $$.  So no real vote of confidence by his boss, and 1/3 of the teams cap unused. 

Rex should have gone with Tanny keeping him and then looking for a GM that wanted him was beyond stupid.. It was a waste of 2 years that could have been used for the betterment of the team.. Rex is who he is and if football is entertainment he definitely provided that the good the bad and the ugly.. I just don't hate the guy and get a kick out of the haters that get mad when you don't hate him also..LOL

Archived