prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

On 4/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, chirorob said:

The writing is worse because they have passed George RR.   He helped a lot early on, and it showed.   They only have a vague outline to go by, I don't think he is very invovled, and the show is not as good because of it.

when the show runners started this project 10+ years ago there were 4 books written, with the 5th book about to come out. 

Pretty sure the plan was that by the time seasons 1-5 were done, book 6 would have been out, and by now 7 would be out or close.  

Their job was to put a wealth of book material to the screen.  since season 5 their job has become to put an outline of 2 books to the screen. 

I blame GRRM for taking too long.

Edited by cbudiarjo
typo
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Agree with every last word of this.  While in the middle of watching the episode, here is the question that popped into my mind that I'm definitely curious of what others think:

At this point, do we think Martin has simply not even figured out yet what he plans to put in the remaining books (assuming they ever come)?  Or he has outright refused to give HBO anything but a vague direction for a small handful of major plot points?

Because regardless of anyone's personal opinions on the positives/negatives of this season's episodes, one thing that is blatantly obvious is that he has next to nothing to do with any of it.

This is how the books will end as well, basically.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Euron's purpose was simply to come up with a way to get Cersei a fleet.  Everything else was a ridiculous waste of time.

The Varys killing is when I made my comment about Jon no longer having any redeeming qualities.  Jon stood there and just looked at him get executed because Varys simply made a statement of factual truth (that numerous others were talking about as well) that Jon was emo about.  There's a long list of things that could've gotten him killed for far better reason than that over the course of the series.  That also ties back to your point of them jumping between some things rushed, and others dragged out.  It could have made far more sense if there was more to it beyond him simply knowing about Jon for like 5 minutes.

Jon is loyal and honorable to a fault, just like Ned.  His queen is Dany, and if she wants to burn Varys, that's her command.  

Vary's didn't die because he said Jon would be a better ruler to Tyrion.  He died because he was actively plotting to have her removed.

I need to watch it again, but i'm pretty sure that girl Vary's was talking to was trying to poison Dany for him, when she said "but she's not eating her meals"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

The bold is why he's pretty meaningless at this point, other than the fact that they're obviously going to try to turn it around, you know, now that he has no other choice.  However, that mindset is most certainly a level of "loyalty" Ned never would have had.  His issue was trying to help everyone, not do whatever one random idiot told him.  Let's not forget, this is the same Ned that was adamantly opposed to Robert's attempts to have Dany killed off, and tried to let Cersei escape her punishment.  Obviously neither turned out to be particularly good positions to take, but it certainly wasn't because of him being a mindless gofer to his king.

As far as Varys, that's my point of why that part, compared to other scenarios (e.g., 40 minutes of a dragon flying around), was unnecessarily rushed.  It would've made far more sense if they made an active point of that being the situation, as opposed to one vague reference of what might have been attempted that was in no way referenced in any decision.

I don't think Jon watching while Vary's the traitor is burned is being a mindless gofer.  He was a traitor.  I don't think he thought Dany would do what she did.

14 hours ago, JiF said:

Oh and did anyone else get all, like wtf was the white horse about when Arya appeared still in Kings Landing, just hanging out checking out the aftermath?

WTF was the point of that scene? 

i thought just to show how she was back to being herself, not some nameless assassin.  she was reborn in the ash and rode out on a white horse.

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, here’s a hypothetical. It’s two years from now. George finishes his book and the book ending is actually amazing and George does a bunch of interviews where expresses great regret about ceding so much control of the series to Benioff and Weiss who, at this point, have put out a Star Wars movie that has a 36 meta score on Rotten tomatoes. And what say George says he’s got the funding to do an epic remake of Season Eight using this book, but minus Benioff and Weiss. And all the actors, who will be generally floundering at this point, express extreme interest in that paycheck. Who would say no to this project? 

the problem is the story is too big to finish.  part of GRRM's motiviation for writing ASOIF was to write something that couldn't possibly be put to film.  along the way, the producers had to cut so much from the story, that the ending would be impossible.  they just wanted to finish it ASAP.  they rushed it on purpose.  

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company