prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

12 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Tywin wasn't so much a villain as he was just a huge dick. 

You're thinking of Podrick Payne aka Pod the Rod 

he brings the Payne 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

q7wibxq6hwx21.png

M&W and Peep show are so underrated 

i also enjoyed this moment

30ugku.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yup. Smug, bad-ass, one line dropping Dany had become pretty unbearable. We've hardly seen a hint of insecurity from her since season one. Then bang. Nuts.

how about the theory she burned the city in an attempt to trap Jon and eliminate all claim to her throne 

it's not unthinkable  and certainly not all that mad even (by GoT standards)

10 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

This season is so rushed and poorly written because of it. Was the decision on 6 episodes just a financial one? I would have rather waited another year for 10 episodes that did this story justice. 

This is a great question 

in the big picture the more HBO spends on GoT the more they get back... it's 15 mil an episode but it's a multi-billion dollar franchise.

so the official story is HBO and GRRM wanted more, D&D and the cast wanted less. 

I still suspect there's part of the new HBO regime that wants to kill this golden goose.  

The new crew developed 30 min shows like Veep and Silicon valley. The old guard made Boardwalk Empire and True Blood (and GoT).  It's a different management style like Bowles vs Gregg Williams 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Why not just kill Jon?

because he's beloved by everyone and that might be a line even she can't cross

but if it looks like a routine city burning... 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was definitely thinking of The Sopranos last night after watching that, and how pissed everyone was about it at the time. I’d imagine if I wrote a show that became a phenomenon like GoT, I’d probably be upset if a portion of the viewership didn’t freak out as it got closer to the end. Think of some shows that were huge for three seasons that people just gave up on altogether, like The Walking Dead. Ultimately, I think we’ll all remember GoT as being great, regardless of the sniping about the close 

Here's my unpopular opinion: D&D are getting blamed for GRRM's situation. I love the man but he created too many threads to ever bring it in for a soft landing. 

There is this blind faith among the book readers that GRRM's writing would have made it all better, but what if he didn't? There are plenty of 10 book series that suck by the end. What if what we are seeing in season 8 is a multi-person effort to land the Spruce Goose of plotlines? What if it's not HBO's fault what if the end was always going to be a car crash? 

• Upvote 1

You're close. I don't think money is important to a man who dresses like grrm. But he started his series as a moderately successful author and ended it (TBD) as the greatest author of our generation.

Pressure can be poison to a man whose greatest ambition in life is to find the perfect bowl of green chile

I think it’s exceedingly possible that GRRM got crazy wealthy and lost the thread. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is the type of thing that people who don’t read books say. He’s nothing close to this. Martin is an extraordinarily successful serial novelist, and that’s fine. JK Rowling for adults. 

Yes it's true RJF, i've never learned to read. F you for exposing my deepest secret. *DICTATED BUT NOT READ, OBVIOUSLY*

Just a prediction, people will be consuming GoT (books, shows, video games etc) for a century after we're all dead. But that's a tough theory to test. 

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Question about dragon physiology.

Can they just spit perpetual fire? Without eating a horse or a goat or something?

Dragons are basically wings stapled to an alligator. Nothing about it makes sense, aerodynamically. It certainly shouldn't be able to just vertically take off like a Harrier jump jet

but no actually, they do require 12 goats every 15000 people burned. It's called Aegon's ratio and GRRM will be covering it in a book to be released 20 years from now 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I didn’t call you dumb, I said you probably read dumb books. 

As to the latter point; yeah, it’s Star Wars. And that’s fine. But that doesn’t make Timothy Zahn a modern day Proust. 

Some are dumb. Judge for yourself

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/37622758-matt-bitonti?shelf=read

Full disclosure i haven't read ASOIAF

On 5/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Aikido? Have fun trying to defend an uchi mata with a ******* wrist lock. 

In my life I've engaged in the following contact activities with some competence:  

Football - Peewee through Div 3 College, offensive line

Wrestling (4 years HS, heavyweight punching bag...) 

Lacrosse - Crease defense 4 years 2x suffolk class C champs 

Rugby - Prop - 1 year in Wales, 2 years College, 2 years club in Philadelphia

Boxing training - two years because why not 

believe it or not, I'm pretty good with mashing. Delivering hits, taking hits, that's my wheelhouse

With aikido, I'm trying to learn how not to get hit 

but that's you're response? there's 157 books there, what's the last thing you read, smart guy, a bazooka joe wrapper? 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:03 AM, IndianaJet said:

Now I'm having flashbacks to that old thread on the Landingstrip.  Oh god...somebody help me out, I'm way too old now and have burned too many brain cells.   The one where the guy posted something about his fists or how much he bench presses or his fighting ability....god...it was a classic....

that was every thread on the landingstrip 

it sounded like a  brag but the truth is i really like aikido and think people should try it out before they bash it 

life is not lived in a caged octogon 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Aikido sucks bit. 

Except the wrist locks. Those are legit AF. 

what do you call the troll who trolls the troll? 

the uber troll? that's you RJF 

here's my pitch for aikido in a world where everyone has a camera, everything is on tape and everyone is looking for someone to sue, being able to subdue someone with a non-fighting art has more value than it used to. 

It's just not feasible to walk around shouting "TIGER STYLE" at everyone, and flexing your hands like a cat, even though it's undoubtedly cooler 

I also had a book about dog breeding on there let me guess you hate dogs too? 

back to the message at hand you said I read dumb books i'd like to see your list of recent reading

not including your phone while on the toilet 

but sharing information isn't cool then you might get trolled

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There's a very recent one where an aikido black belt decided to throw down an old school Gracie challenge at a BJJ gym and it went horribly for him.

just cause a dude purchased a black belt on the internet doesn't make them a black belt. Those videos are trash, but thanks for bringing them up. Uber troll

The thing about BJJ that I hate is everyone going to their back. who thinks like that? 

there's a fight breaking out you know what, **** it let's try missionary position.  

Kim Stanley Robinson is awesome I prefer his Shaman type stuff to 2140 

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That’s not really the logic behind the guard but yeah sure keep believing in a martial art that’s claim to fame is Steven Seagal movies.

MA is pretty simple. The sh*t that trained killers do is the sh*t that works. The early UFC’s solved this argument dude. A really long time ago. The debate has been over and done with for a long time.

It should be noted the only part of Aikido you respect (the wrist locks) are nullified by MMA wrist wraps and gloves. talk about "real" is everyone leaving the house wearing wrist wraps now? 

we have different definitions of the word "works" 

here's a real life example: 

a kid gets suspended for fighting (NJ zero tolerance) but her mom goes to the principal and says "my child studies a non-fighting art, look it up." Dead eyed, long-nailed school administrator goes to wikipedia... and only one kid gets suspended that day. If Aikido was on FX Sports people breaking each other arms all day, that outcome doesn't happen. 

again the idea of what "works" depends on the point of doing it

i'm doing it cause it's ridiculously difficult, yet somehow easier than my day job.  

51 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And frankly, we can’t be certain Martin had/has any other great twists up his sleeve.  

it should first be noted GRRM is a genius and it's way easier to be a critic than to create

but everyone is crucifying D&D like the slavemasters of Meereen - that's like blaming the contractor for not being able to build MC Escher's designs 

when this whole thing started everyone was like "HOLY **** what detail in this world, how many characters, dozens of prophesies, hundreds (?) of plot lines, it's so awesome!"

Here's a crazy thought: authors don't try to write the sprawling epic tale, not because they are lazy but because it's stupid hard. Almost irresponsible,

put it another way Evel Kanievel is awesome especially the hype but the landing has to be perfect -  and GRRM attempted the writing equivalent of jumping over 17 school busses or whatever. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Pac said:

"Brann the Broken"?  Kind of insulting, eh?  Why not just call him Lord Wheels.

there was a moment when Samwell Tarly suggested democracy 

Everyone laughed it off saying stuff like "Maybe I'll ask my horse!" 

We watch this living in a democracy all high and mighty

but in fairness to the naysayers, have you looked around and seen everyone? As a group, they're terrible.  And not just in King's Landing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I think Drogon got the ending that was best for Drogon.

As a wild beast, he is now free to roam the world with no constraints.  Just like he did when he escaped confinement by Dany at the end of Season 4.  If Dany had lived and ruled the Seven Kingdom's eventually she would have had to do something contain Drogon. 

At this point in Drogon's life he's not really containable... what would that look like even? 

Drogon got the best ending for the writers room
"hey guys... what if he just flew away?" 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Best ending for the writers...and best ending for the budget.....Yay! the last 40 minutes we don't have to do any complicated computer graphics!!!!

they saved $30,000 dollars by lopping an ear off of Ghost 

My other favorite moment of the finale was when Bronn "the master of coin" was prioritizing brothel reconstruction 

Bronn 2020 the people's choice 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I would watch another 8 years of this show if it was just the day to day affairs of the new small council.

You the MASTER of Grammar now, too? 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

then had to kill the woman who blew up King's Landing.

this is where the story goes south 

you can't have a monarchy held by a queenslayer. it shows disrespect for the office

this isn't Rome 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They report to Bran he was spotted flying East. Pretty clear he’s taking Dany to Essos. I’m surprised you didn’t pick up on that given your self-declared literary adroitness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

How does Disney see this season and feel comfortable with handing these clowns the Star Wars franchise. 

well lets see

GoT is a billion dollar franchise and HBO got their highest ratings for any show, ever 

the source material ran out years ago and unlike Sopranos, they actually filmed an ending 

It's like if you're in an airplane and the pilot passed out at the controls (i'm serious and don't call me Shirley), and these 2 dbags D&D somehow landed a plane on fire. they aren't geniuses by any means but 

they did it (*which was more than high priced genius GRRM could do*) and everyone involved printed money.  

In hollywood terms these guys are like heroes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, JiF said:

all but like maybe Jamie, Cersie, Sansa and Tyrion pull any legitimate gigs after this show.  So yes, they all come back. 

this is the part of the ending most people just breeze right by 

even if Maisie Williams doesn't have any legitimate gigs she spent 10 years playing Arya. She grew from a little girl to a woman in this one role.

people don't want to play the same roles forever. Galaxy Quest aside 

there's art and there's commerce. if it was up to GRRM there might not be any ending at all. 

fast forward this all ends with a disney dragon ride replacing splash mountain in the magic kingdom eta 2030 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

They would potentially make more money with a quality finale because people who did watch would be more likely to recommend others to sign up and watch. 

Now it feels like a big waste of time. 

I really hope you don't work in a for profit business. 

I actually asked a dude in the financial industry this same question, he assures me they are printing money and HBO wanted 10+ seasons. Overseas distribution heals all wounds. Like the NFL it doesn't have to be good.  It's content slop and we all lined up for it. 

as for the prestige, what happens when Disney buys HBO? like they bought everything else? 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company