prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Unfortunately as I’ve been complaining for a while now, with the show passing the books, there’s just more of this nonsense. Under GRRM, there was so much substance behind the NK. Under D&D, it turns out that the fan theories of the NK were more interesting than the NK himself. Even the stupid grin he shot to Dany when the fire didn’t kill him...wtf was that? When has the NK ever shown any capacity for emotions? He was supposed to be death - emotionless, eventual, practical. 

Even with Arya. I love Arya and her entire story line and have no problem with her killing the NK. In fact, the moment she ran out of the castle after saying “not today” to death, I yelled out that Arya was running to kill the NK (my wife was adamant that I was wrong and that it would be Jon). Anyway, my only issue is that the NK was fully surrounded by wights and walkers in a completely open space outdoors, and none of them saw Arya till she reached him? The NK, who 10 mins earlier was fully aware that Jon was following him from further away - he didn’t suspect Arya until she was right behind him when she screamed? That’s all a bit much for me to take.

All that said though, the episode delivered. It was fun, chaotic, and had a really fun end. Just the little things were generally up to GoT standards in my opinion.

Well Arya was trained to be an assassin so sneaking up, even on dead people, seems plausible.  As that scene was unfolding, what I really, really wanted to happen was to have Bran pull his face off, revealing Arya, right at the last second and have her get all stabby on the NK that way.  It wouldn't have really worked out given the logistics, but it would have been really fun.  

I did find the kill scene a bit lacking after all the buildup, but I can roll with it.  Lyanna definitely got the best scene of the night.  If you want to be immortalized in song and legend by your people, that is the way to do it.

Last thought...I wrapped up Star Trek: Discovery, saw Avengers EndGame, and now GoT this last week.  Exhausting but also some really eerie parallels across all three (no spoilers here) that left me almost confused trying to sort it all out in my head.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I loved the episode, but I'll admit that a closing shot with Brienne, Podrick, Grey Worm and Jamie lying dead among piles of wights would have been pretty poignant and would have really driven home the message about the horrors of war without really compromising much. I get that they're saving Jamie to deal with Cersei, but they've lingered upon the Jamie-as-defeated, impotent warrior stuff long enough. 

It's the trope of bring him to his lowest point so he can rise up at the end more dramatically.

Kind of like what the Jets have been doing for the last 8 years.  

But you're right, Theon has been more of a man than Jamie lately.  

I'm surprised the death count of named characters was as low as it was.  I guess they will rack up a few more in the Lannister war.

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It is established pretty early that magic exists in the world.

It was never established that Arya was the greatest fighter in the world.

She was presented as a skilled duelist / assassin.  Not so much a battlefield warrior.  But it wasn't a complete tear in the fabric of GoT reality.  She paid her dues with the faceless man and her time with Clegane.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When I used to watch this show with dudes who had all read the books five times each they used to get BENT because Jamie Lannister and Barriston Selmy were supposed to be the best swordsmen of all time and the Starks were basically butcher-ass goons but in the TV show they're equally capable. One of them literally cried during he scene where Jamie and Ned face off in the street and Ned held his own.

Ned being a great swordsman isn't really something worth losing your head over.  Still, you do have to hand it to Jamie in an equal contest.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I’m wondering too. It is a huge step down to go back to Cersei vs The Allies. It just doesn’t carry the same threat or significance, a point the show has gone lengths to drive home.

They introduced time travel with Hold The Door. Seems a huge thing to introduce just to explain a character’s name. Was expecting them to go back to that at some point.

We know from a glimpse of the previews that Drogon and Rhagal both survived the battle last night.  No matter how many ships and troops the Lannister army and its allies have, I don't think they have a chance against two dragons without the ballista they used a few seasons ago (and I think they were all destroyed).  The show will manufacture some way that it's more of a fair fight just to be dramatic but let's be real for a moment....dragons > everything else.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I get it. I'm not complaining as much as I'm noting that it's a bit much, especially given what we saw from the wights and NK earlier in the episode. In any case, as mentioned, I enjoyed it.

So when I said that I knew Arya was going to kill the NK after she ran out of the castle, that was actually my first thought. That she will assume Bran's identity and sit there and wait for NK to come and then kill him. My wife quickly pointed out (as she was trying to convince me that it was going to be Jon who killed NK) that Arya can only assume identities of people who are already dead.

I know, damnit!  But still!... That was the scene that would have had us all jumping off the couch and screaming.  

Almost worth killing Bran for it :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agreed 100%. I posted before the episode as well that I'm hoping for more of the bolded in the final episodes.

There was a moment when Viserion was on the ground and was occupied with something else. Jon saw his opportunity and was going for Viserion, and I was certain he was going to behead the dragon. Was so ready to finally see something badass, but then Jon had to retreat behind the pile of dead bodies because Viserion saw him and unloaded blue ice fire. Woulda been sick though.

Jon has been pretty lame ever since he got cow-eyes for his aunt.  Nothing like the Jon we saw up north when he was chasing the fiery redhead.  Honestly, Theon had more balls than Jon last night.  Come to think of it, so did Greyworm.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Some article I read this morning referred to Bran waking up as 'Bran logging out of the Crow Flight Simulator'.  Got a laugh out of me.

• Haha 2

CGI’d post production. As in they initially didn’t intend for him to be in the scene.

If you squint, you can see Obi Wan and Yoda in the background too.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Didnt Dany's brother dying from the melted iron or whatever mean that not all Targaryen's are "unburnt".  

GRRM stated in an interview that Targaryens are NOT immune to fire.  The scene with Dany was a special case related to the dragon's birth.  I don't pretend to understand the details but he actually used her brother as the example to prove it wasn't a bloodline thing.

• Upvote 3

There's one character I would love to see play a part in the events to come. Jaqen - the faceless man who trained Arya.  One of the coolest characters on the canvas and with GoT, if you I don't recall if we know his fate.  That sequence with Arya was one of my favorite stretches of the whole show.  I'd love to see him show up in some unexpected way (how else would he).  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

If only they had Twitter, Jon's dragon could've updated its profile status so we know it's okay.

We do know he's okay.  Both dragons will be flying next week.

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I really was expecting Brienne to die. The only complaint I've had with the show since Jon was resurrected was that they've been more tentative with killing off popular characters, instead choosing to kill off lesser, peripheral characters.

I mean, Tormund is awesome, but how the **** has he survived that giant battle with the dead north of the wall last season, the destruction of Eastmarch(?) at the end of last season, and now this? Speaking of that north of the wall battle, I was expecting a number of deaths, but the guy they choose to kill? The drunken preacher who no one gives a sh*t about. Seriously?

Still, a great show, and last episode was phenomenal.

I'm guessing they still have a love triangle to resolve although it's clearly going Jamie's way.  Besides, Tormund is fun.   There are just about no other characters on this show that are fun.  Maybe Tyrion is finding his way back.  Everyone else is a weepy bitch right now.

So on another completely different note, but relevant here, did anyone see GRRM's savaging of Gettleman's draft?http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

Okay, the first day of the NFL Draft is in the books.   The Jets had one pick, the Giants had three.

Gang Green took Quinnen Williams, the monster Alabama defensive tackle, with the third pick overall.  Lots of analysts had ranked him as the best player in the entire draft, so he seems a good get.   Still… if it had been me, I would have taken Josh Allen, the edge rusher.   The Jets have not had an edge rusher worth his salt since… could the last one have been Mark Gastineau?  Surely not.  Maybe John Abraham.   The thing is, they need sacks and QB pressures.   And they already had a monster defensive tackle named Williams (Leonard).   Now they have two.   I hope it works out.   The main thing is to give Tom Brady nightmares, though, and I am not sure Quinnen will do that.   Time will tell.   Overall, though, a very solid pick.

The Giants, on the other hand…

Daniel Jones from Duke at number six?   Yes, they need a young quarterback to groom as Eli’s successor.   But Dwayne Haskins was right there.   Why not him?  I don’t follow college ball, but by every measurable Haskins is way better than Jones.   Jones threw 52 TDs in three years at Duke, Haskins threw 50 in one year at Ohio State.  Within fewer interceptions.   Against much tougher opposition.   Dave Gettleman must have seen something in Jones that no one else could see.   But even if you accept that, taking him at six seems insane.   He would have been there at 17.   Why not take Josh Allen or one of the other defensive studs at 6, and Jones at 17?   Makes much more sense.   Who else was going to nab him?  The Skins?   The Skins preferred Haskins, that was common knowledge.   Everyone in the world except the G-Men preferred Haskins, so far as I can see.

And then we got to number 17, the pick the Giants got for Odell.   What did they pick there?  A huge 342 pound defensive tackle out of Clemson.  Very very strong, they say.   Not going to get a lot of sacks, but terrific against the run.   Who does that sound like?   It sounds like Snacks Harrison to me.  Who the Giants cut in mid-season because… ahem… “all he did” was stop the run, he didn’t get sacks.   After his release, Big Blue spent the rest of the season getting gashed by runs right up the gut.   Had to fix that.   So to fill the Snacks hole, we draft Young Snacks.   All it cost us was a Hall of Fame receiver.

The Giants did trade up late in the round to get a third pick, which we used on a cornerback.   Supposedly the best CB prospect in the draft.   That was good.  They need good cornerbacks in the worst way.   Maybe this kid will help.

Neither the Giants nor  the Jets have a second round pick today.

Big Blue has a couple in the third round, and more later in the draft.   I hope Gettleman can find some gems.   Because right now, the team looks a lot weaker than the one that entered the 2018 season, and that squad finished 5-11.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Yeah, he looked okay to me. Maybe just a bit wounded.

Well you can see two dragons flying in next week's preview (which surprised me they would let that slip) and since Viserion is definitely dusted, I think it's safe to assume the living two are both okay.

6 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Oh, well, I never watch next week's previews. Never.

Sorry...note to self not to discuss them although I figured they were fair game.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont think I realized or remember the Mountain was on her list...why was he, what he do?  He wasnt part of the throne at that point, I dont recall.  Just a gnarly dude who came into town for the fair.  I remember when she said the Hound, that one night before they fell asleep...dont think I remember the brother. 

Something to do with the torture of peasants that occurred at Harrenhal while Arya was held captive there by the Lannisters.  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

My prediction: Jon, Dany, the last Targaryens, Cersei and Lannister line all die, Arya marries Gendry and he surfaces as the heir to Baratheon, thanks to Davos, and claims the Iron Throne. Or something like that.

Close..but Tyrion survives and becomes King of the Seven Realms, re-marries Sansa and unites the north with the south.

Book it!

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The food and drink in the great hall for the lords and royals, I get. However when Gendry walked out in search of Arya and we saw all of the common folks also feasting and drunk, my mind immediately went to: two weeks ago they didn’t have food and drink, yet they were sustaining thousands more humans which would have depleted their reserves. Meanwhile on the other side of the realm Cersei is ensuring that her enemies lose, which probably meant she’s keeping all food and drink from reaching Winterfell. HOW IN THE HELL IS EVERYONE EATING AND DRINKING IN WINTERFELL!!!!

And then when I saw all of the scorpions on every boat and on top of the gates, I was kept wondering who’s building all of this for them and having it all installed if all of men are either fighting for Man in Winterfell or peasants in Kings Landing.

And, how did 3 straight shots fatally wound Rhaegal, but like 12 shots all at once straight on didn’t even touch Drogon. 

Also, we’ve now lost two of the hottest females on the show in back to back episodes, which is a bigger blow than losing Raeghal.

All that said, it was by far my favorite episode of the season. Great politicking. Dany pulled her weight in this one with some great scenes showing how she starts to go crazy. Suspense was great too except it didn’t really pay off - I for sure thought Tyrion was going to be shot to death out there in the field, which also brings me to Cercei and how badly she’s being written now. GRRM would have had her execute Tyrion when he walked over like that. 

I’m excited to see how Cersei dies next week and how the Jon-Dany story ends in the final episode. 

First time I was really disappointed in the writing.  Let's start with the improbability of a first shot, from a boat, with wind, being a direct hit on a fast-moving, elevated target.  Pretty much zero there.  Now let's add in the fact that those shots should take several seconds at least to reach the dragons.  How, pray tell, did the dragons and Dany not see an entire fleet of ships in the time it took the ships to see the dragons, aim a ballista and fire it perfectly?  I know it's fantasy, but the non-magical elements should all make sense and this just didn't.  It was lazy writing to whittle down the forces of the North.  We are so close to the end of the series and it's such a shame to see them using weak plot devices to set the stage.  This is the first time I really felt like they have gone off the GRRM rails because I don't think he would have written it this badly.  Shame....Shame....Shame.

As for Missandei, we pretty much knew either she or Greyworm was a goner and it makes more sense to off her and have him go into a cold rage.  So you'll have to warm yourself with scenes of Sansa I guess but it's only 2 more episodes so tough it out :).  My issue is that it looked like she had an opportunity to grab Cersei and at least try to pull her off the wall with her, even with the shackles on her wrists.  Even if it didn't work out, it would have been a spectacular way to go.  

My last beef was the near character assassination of Jon last night.  Yes, he was a total puppy dog with Ygritte but I can respect that because she was...well...crazy hot and she was his first love.  But after that, to see his wishy washy reaction to Dany trying to use the power of her feminine parts to get him to lie to his family was pathetic.  He really isn't acting like king material.  Sansa really has become the best of the bunch for that.

On to the good stuff.  Glad to see Jamie heading down to KL for the end game.  As much as it feels like he's going there to right his wrongs (i.e. kill his sister-wife) that would seem to go against the prophecy Cersei heard that a younger, more beautiful queen would cast her down.  Lots to speculate on regarding that.  Also, I really, really hope that Arya and the Hound have more to do because they are now my favorite characters on the show.  Total badasses with little moral compass and no sh-ts to give.  Loads of potential!

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jon did tell his family though.   I agree, Sansa is the best leader of the bunch, the best politician.   Don't forget, people supposidly loved King Robert, he was a war hero, but a terrible king.   Jon wouldn't be as bad, but he lacks the finesse for the role as king.

He did but he struggled with it.  He could/should have told Dany straight up that he wasn't going to lie to them instead of the half-whimpering way he avoided the confrontation (which was another cheap plot device to create artificial suspense).  I just wish the writers would assume the viewers aren't completely dumb.  It's not like we haven't seen movies with intrigue before.  The payoff, even when knowing what's coming, can still be very rewarding.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bran gets up out of wheelchair, starts hobbling down sidewalk, but we notice his lame feet gets less and less disabled until he’s walking just fine. Camera pans to his face where he slaps on a pair of Ray Bans, lights a cigarette, and gets into a wagon driven by Samwell Tarley

One of the top-5 movie endings of all time (along with The Sixth Sense but possibly even better).  Of course it will never happen, but it should (only there were no Ray Bans in the original I believe, just the cigarette).

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

What JiF and you are saying about the Dragons is exactly my feeling about the White Walkers.  Unless they come back in some meaningful way in the next two episodes, what was the point of that entire story line?  Just to make a fairer fight in the endgame?

We may have to wait for GRRM to finish the series to find out.  Because clearly HBO went far off the rails.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The final shot in next week's trailer is Euron looking up into the sun with a look of surprise.  Maybe it's just Drogon making his final approach (out of the glaring sunlight to shield him from accurate Scorpion fire?) or just maybe its a look of surprise because it's Rhaegal coming and Euron thinks he's dead.

I had the same thought during the preview.  What could be surprising in the sky like that?  Still, Rhaegal took a spear to the head.  It literally seemed to blow his head apart.  Not sure how they'd explain it but they seem to be okay with sloppy writing now so maybe...

• Upvote 1

The showrunners should apologize for the hot mess the was episode 4 and just throw 5 and 6 away and rewrite and reshoot.  Because this was Fonzie jumping the shark.  

• Upvote 1

The last half hour there was one single thing that needed to happen.  With one two-word line, they could have set up next episode perfectly and rescued the sh-tshow that this season has become.

Arya needed to whisper two words...."Danaerys Targaeryan".  New kill list.  One person.

But no...that was too much for them.  Seven brilliant seasons and it's like they turned from Nick Mangold into Wesley Johnson in one off-season.  

Cersei's lame death, after 7 seasons of her totally bad-assery?  It was like kissing your sister.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

To be fair this part of it - King's Landing/the throne - Isn't really their fight. In books or show. There's really no reason for Arya to be there to begin with, Sandor could have gave her that same speech at Winterfell. 

Either Arya/Jon will kill Dany next episode. 

It feels like they are setting it up that Jon has to be the one to kill her to complete the tragedy.  Arya had her moment.  Now it's Jon's turn.  Queue the closeup of Jon crying as he plunges his sword into her, possibly to get roasted by Drogon to complete the Romeo & Juliet moment.  I'm already bored.

Arya needs to whisper her name and shank her bony ass.  Then, and only then, can she go make babies with Gendry.  Anything less and it's character assassination.

Clegane could he cut Cersei down but no...he was too focused on his mean big brother to be bothered.  Meh.  

Tyrion and Jamie's last scene was probably the only real moment in the episode for me.  Well done between two actors who, for a brief moment, got written as the characters that we loved to watch for 7 seasons.  Oh and Jamie was a real douche over the Brienne thing.  Tormund loved her and would have shagged her properly and stuck around.  Jamie pulled the classic Meat Loaf "Now I'm praying for the end of time" in like what, 3 nights?  Yeah, most of us have probably had that moment, but I generally avoid them with women who are like 6" taller than me and can swing a sword through a tree.

In case you haven't noticed, while the action was great, I think the writing has really sucked this last season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Dany will go crazy at some point in the books. 100%.

Kings Landing will get burned to the ground. 100%.

Whether they both happen like this I have no idea but her descent into madness will be much more fleshed out. It already is. Similar to how I feel about Stannis burning Shireen, it will happen in the books but will be much, much better executed.

You mean GRRM will do a little better than this?

Dany whines to Jon about how it was his fault Varys died while making cow eyes at him

Jon says "Eww...you're my aunt you crazy bitch"

Dany gets mad and burns a half-million people while completely ignoring the one woman she was actually there to kill

Jon walks around yelling pointlessly at soldiers who can't hear him over the dragon fire, screaming and buildings falling down

[Insert CGI of dragon shooting flame at everything]

Here was the cinematic inspiration for the entire episode for those of you who remember this classic flick:

If you believe the white horse at the end was warging-Bran, then that’s kind of the stand-in for the scene you’re mentioning 

You mean Bran who they have completely turned into this Marvel character?  Not a bad theory, one I hadn't considered at the time, but even if he chose to get involved for a moment, is it to bring here where she needs to be, or just to help her get out of the city?  

Image result for the watcher marvel

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

M&W and Peep show are so underrated 

i also enjoyed this moment

30ugku.jpg

Seriously...was I the only one having an Obi-Wan flashback?

Image result for star wars jedi mind trick

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Routine city burning?

You know...like Detroit after any championship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was joking with someone last year that GRRM is a sadist and he’s going to go out of his way to torture every viewer and reader at the end by, like, letting Cersei win or something. I don’t think anyone is going to get the end they want, and if it ends up with Jon Snow as King of the World—which is the Disney ending of this story—then, weak

I can't see any path that doesn't have Jon kill Dany and then either die himself (Shakespeare) or disappear up north to rejoin the Wildlings and Ghost (Sergio Leone).  A last scene of Jon walking up north with orchestral music playing and either a slow fade to black, or maybe a shot of a young boy yelling "Jon, Jon, come back!"

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company