GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also the one thing we need to be talking about is why the **** didn't Rickon zig-zag? Wasn't that obvious enough even for such a stupid little sh*t like him? Who the hell runs straight when they're getting shot at by arrows?

Yeah, I kept thinking, considering that it was just one friggin' arrow coming at a time, it really should not be at all difficult to dodge with the slightest bit of effort.  Kind of a different situation then when there's a whole sh*tload of them going into a massive group.

But hell, it was only friggin' Rickon anyway.  Pretty sure his entire existence was solely for the purpose of that death.  Well maybe that and attempting to make Bran seem like less of a puss by comparison.

Agree that there'll certainly be some sort of spin off towards the end - As RJF said there's too much money to be made for there to be nothing. There's endless potential to the series with the source material they have. There could be movies made with it, remakes with omitted book plots included, pretty much anything down the line. 

Robert's Rebellion would be the most likely spin-off although we may see some of that in Bran's visions anyways. 

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also the one thing we need to be talking about is why the **** didn't Rickon zig-zag? Wasn't that obvious enough even for such a stupid little sh*t like him? Who the hell runs straight when they're getting shot at by arrows?

I was yelling at the TV, because it's even more effective yelling at a show then when I watch the Jets on a time delay on TiVO.

"Serpentine!!"

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Real answer, just pure panic.

17 hours ago, chirorob said:

Wow.

Well, that would be a long story.  The Children of the Forrest made the White Walkers about 8000 years ago in the first war with the men.  They also tried to rip the continent in half and failed.  Jon Arryn was killed because he realized that Cersei's kids were not Robert's, hence "the seed is strong", but that is in the series.  If you get into back stories, read Wikipedia of Fire and Ice.  It has everything about any character ever mentioned.  It's addicting. 

But I agree.   To see Rhaegar, to see young Robert, who was this great, powerful man, who didn't use a sword but a giant war hammer. 

And further back, to see what happened to Old Valyria, how it was destroyed, how the Targaryens escaped, and how they took over with their dragons.  To watch the dragon show up and MELT Harrenhall.  Melt the stone castle towers. 

Yes, so much this too. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Fastest point from point A (ramsay) to point B (Jon racing towards him) is a straight line...prolly thought he could outrun the arrows and was just a scared little kid who just wanted to get to Jon asap?

Dude, even if he ran serpentine with Captain America's shield on his back and Potter's invisibility cloak, Ramsay was gonna kill him. Twas always thus, and always thus will be.

• Upvote 1

Best episode of any of the modern era binge-centric programs, without question. 

That battle was better than anything put on film for Braveheart, Gladiator and the like. More importantly, the cinematography and point-of-view used through was as much a story-telling device as any other part of the episode. Just an absolute joy to watch.

Tormund Giantsbane is ******* awesome. I always thought he was a "cool" character, aesthetically, but tonight puts him on the level of Breann and The Hound with regard to general honor, violence and all around bad-assness. 

Also, for those of you questioning why Rickon didn't zig-zag... here's a better one... 

Why didn't Ramsay put that arrow through Jon Snow's heart, rather than the Giant's eyeball?

I mean, Jon let his guard down and was easy-pickens at that point. Ramsay's proclivity for tormenting people, was his ultimate undoing. He could have ended Snow right there, but seeing how Jon was emo about the giant being taken down... Ramsay chose to hurt Jon emotionally, rather than taking the easy kill shot.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Also, for those of you questioning why Rickon didn't zig-zag... here's a better one... 

Why didn't Ramsay put that arrow through Jon Snow's heart, rather than the Giant's eyeball?

I mean, Jon let his guard down and was easy-pickens at that point. Ramsay's proclivity for tormenting people, was his ultimate undoing. He could have ended Snow right there, but seeing how Jon was emo about the giant being taken down... Ramsay chose to hurt Jon emotionally, rather than taking the easy kill shot.

Because thats what Ramsey do...

20 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Because thats what Ramsey do...

Yea, I mostly point it out as a nod to the discipline of the writers to think through the scene so thoroughly... most people I've spoken with never thought twice about the arrow in the giant's eye. I think it was a brilliant example of them staying true to the archetype they'd built for Ramsay. Much the way writers will make arrogance the downfall of a bad leader, or something like that... the desire to "toy" with Jon (as Sansa warned him) was ultimately the downfall of the sadistic ****er.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Fastest point from point A (ramsay) to point B (Jon racing towards him) is a straight line...prolly thought he could outrun the arrows and was just a scared little kid who just wanted to get to Jon asap?

Dude, even if he ran serpentine with Captain America's shield on his back and Potter's invisibility cloak, Ramsay was gonna kill him. Twas always thus, and always thus will be.

That's just ridiculous. Cap's shield could have taken Winterfell on its own. And then Cap would have taken the entire Stark army out for ice cream.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They released a 10-minute making-of doc on YouTube about the episode. It's very cool. A lot less CGI then you'd think. I can't believe this much production goes into TV shows now. What a time to be alive.

http://coolmaterial.com/video/how-game-of-thrones-created-the-battle-of-winterfell/

Watched it the other night, you can also catch it on HBO's extras section for the episode. I know a lot of the horses are cgi, but they use 80 real ones. Damn that is a lot of horses, and horse care and maintenance alone is expensive as hell. 

14 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

Watched it the other night, you can also catch it on HBO's extras section for the episode. I know a lot of the horses are cgi, but they use 80 real ones. Damn that is a lot of horses, and horse care and maintenance alone is expensive as hell. 

Kit Harrington actually stood there for that shot of them all running at him. That is insane. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, I mostly point it out as a nod to the discipline of the writers to think through the scene so thoroughly... most people I've spoken with never thought twice about the arrow in the giant's eye. I think it was a brilliant example of them staying true to the archetype they'd built for Ramsay. Much the way writers will make arrogance the downfall of a bad leader, or something like that... the desire to "toy" with Jon (as Sansa warned him) was ultimately the downfall of the sadistic ****er.

It's a TV show , you nitwit .

On 6/20/2016 at 10:30 AM, chirorob said:

There were a lot of intestines.

The Jon Snow suffocating, the way they showed it.  Brilliant.  I so totally agree with you on that.

Poor Rickon.   I'm yelling at the TV, "run serpentine!!'   Nope, another dead Stark.  But he had to die, so that Jon can become Lord of Winterfell.

My thoughts.  Who are the true villains left?  Ramsay dead.   Tywin dead.  Joffrey dead.   It's coming down to the Sparrow, and the White Walkers, and subtle Littlefinger.  I also really think Dorne invades Kings Landing.  

I think Daenerys, especially without Tyrion there, is a tyrant and will probably end up being the quasi-villain. It's definitely not going to be black and white, there's certainly not going to be a clear-cut winner/happy ending, it will be a lot of death, ambiguity and such. Excited to see it though. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

also why did everyone just stand around while ramsay is shooting arrows at their leader?

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They released a 10-minute making-of doc on YouTube about the episode. It's very cool. A lot less CGI then you'd think. I can't believe this much production goes into TV shows now. What a time to be alive.

http://coolmaterial.com/video/how-game-of-thrones-created-the-battle-of-winterfell/

lol... oh boy

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Soooo, Sansa a lil preggers? 

edit: I don't think it makes sense considering the last time Ramsay got to insert by force was like...a really long time ago. At the very least, she should be showing a little bit. But that's what the theorists are theorizing. 

also when she met up with little finger back in moles town she said something to the effect of, "i can still feel it inside of me".  a baby?  maybe. 

personally, i don't think she's pregnant.  but that would be interesting.

18 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Soooo, Sansa a lil preggers? 

edit: I don't think it makes sense considering the last time Ramsay got to insert by force was like...a really long time ago. At the very least, she should be showing a little bit. But that's what the theorists are theorizing. 

Well it is wintertime, and it would be hard to see anything under all those layers and cloaks they are always wearing. 

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What absolutely pure excellence that was. My God. 

Real talk. I feel nothing but pity for people who don't watch this show. The past two weeks have been the most insane payoff ever and it comes from all the time of investing 6 seasons worth into everything. My GOD that episode. I was expecting a tame finale which just dealt with the ramifications of the battle, but I wasn't expecting anything close to that magnitude. Holy ******* hell. I'm still amped up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Real talk. I feel nothing but pity for people who don't watch this show. The past two weeks have been the most insane payoff ever and it comes from all the time of investing 6 seasons worth into everything. My GOD that episode. I was expecting a tame finale which just dealt with the ramifications of the battle, but I wasn't expecting anything close to that magnitude. Holy ******* hell. I'm still amped up.

It paid us back for Dorne, for the House of Black and White, and for all that Sparrow sh*t. I had some doubts whether they'd reward us for some of that tedium (in a way that books often don't). But, damn, that was excellent. They peeled away so much fat over the course of two episodes, and they did it with such prejudice and poetry that it retroactively validated every second of lag from the prior three seasons. I wonder to what degree that's due to the show moving beyond the books, giving the show runners more freedom to reward the viewer, as opposed to Martin, who seemed to love torturing the reader.

• Upvote 4