prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

5 hours ago, JiF said:

This is true.  Again, I just dont see it...but I dont know sh*t about the books and all that.  

You are past the books with the show, and they have veered away from where the books were going, so there is no hidden things to know as far as where the show is going, but there is some stuff extra in the older material.  The mad king was pretty normal when he was younger, and was actually very good friends with Tywin Lannister.  Then he went crazy and started burning people alive.

The mad king married his twin sister.   The Targaryean line was known for that kind of stuff.  In breeding to the extreme. 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Can someone explain the John Snow story arch to me?  Who is he?  He's the bastard son of the Robert dude that got killed hunting?  So he had an affair with Ned Starke's sister or something?

And how is this relevant?   Is it because he's not actually an heir to Winterfell?  Like, if people find out is this a bad thing for John Snow?

no.  Everyone thought he was Ned's bastard son.  Actually, he is the son of Ned's sister and Rhaegar Targaryen, which makes him direct in line for the throne.  If Ned had told his best friend Robert who John actually was, Robert would have killed him.

But, to make it worse.   The Mad King was the king before Robert.   His son was Rhaegar.   Robert (the old fat king) was in love with Ned's sister, and was due to marry her.  The Mad King's son Rhaegar was married to a princess of Dorne.  Everyone thought Rhaegar kidnapped Ned's sister, which is what started the entire revolution that ended with the Targaryeans all dead and Robert as king.   It looks like Ned's sister (Lyanna?) actually ran off with Rhaegar, and had a son with him before dying in childbirth.

Thus, the whole revolution was done for no reason, as no one was kidnapped, and all the other political bad stuff.

40 minutes ago, chirorob said:

no.  Everyone thought he was Ned's bastard son.  Actually, he is the son of Ned's sister and Rhaegar Targaryen, which makes him direct in line for the throne.  If Ned had told his best friend Robert who John actually was, Robert would have killed him.

But, to make it worse.   The Mad King was the king before Robert.   His son was Rhaegar.   Robert (the old fat king) was in love with Ned's sister, and was due to marry her.  The Mad King's son Rhaegar was married to a princess of Dorne.  Everyone thought Rhaegar kidnapped Ned's sister, which is what started the entire revolution that ended with the Targaryeans all dead and Robert as king.   It looks like Ned's sister (Lyanna?) actually ran off with Rhaegar, and had a son with him before dying in childbirth.

Thus, the whole revolution was done for no reason, as no one was kidnapped, and all the other political bad stuff.

Gotcha.  Thanks for explaining that.  And Ned helped Robert win those wars, correct?  Does that mean he was fighting but already knew the truth? 

The one thing that I'll say about binge watching, there is so much going on that intake all at once can get a little confusing considering all the moving parts.  

12 hours ago, JiF said:

This is true.  Again, I just dont see it...but I dont know sh*t about the books and all that.  

There's a line early on about the Targaryen family line, that they either achieve greatness or madness (something like that). Danaerys' father was The Mad King, Aerys, who burned Ned Stark's father and brother alive. The nerds believe that Daenarys is going to end up psychotic and Tyrion knows this already.

15 hours ago, JiF said:

Gotcha.  Thanks for explaining that.  And Ned helped Robert win those wars, correct?  Does that mean he was fighting but already knew the truth? 

The one thing that I'll say about binge watching, there is so much going on that intake all at once can get a little confusing considering all the moving parts.  

Ned was Robert's best friend.   They grew up together in the same house, being fostered by Jon Arryn, who later married Catalyn (Ned's Wife) sister.  

Ned's sister was taken by Rhaegar.   Ned's father and older brother went to the mad king to get her back.  The Mad King accused them of treason, and had Ned's father do a trial by combat.  The Mad King chose fire as his champion, and held Ned's father over a fire (the fire won).  Ned's brother I think was killed trying to save his dad.  Then the Mad King ordered Ned and Robert be brought to him, and Jon Arryn refused, and thus the Ayrie (however you spell it), Robert's kingdom, and the North rebelled against the Mad King.

The was was won, Ned went to find his sister right after Rhaegar had been killed, and that's when you see that fight, Ned finds his sister, she whispers to him (99% that John Snow is her and Rhaegar's son), and makes him promise her something, probably to take care of John.  So, the war was over, but if Ned told anyone who John really was, John would be killed, and who knows what else would have happened.   Instead, Ned went home, the new Lord of the North, Robert became king, married Cersei to ally with a very powerful family, and Jon Arryn married Ned's sister in law (who was in love with Little finger).

That's what I love about the show.   The layers and layers and depth of connections.

59 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Ned was Robert's best friend.   They grew up together in the same house, being fostered by Jon Arryn, who later married Catalyn (Ned's Wife) sister.  

Ned's sister was taken by Rhaegar.   Ned's father and older brother went to the mad king to get her back.  The Mad King accused them of treason, and had Ned's father do a trial by combat.  The Mad King chose fire as his champion, and held Ned's father over a fire (the fire won).  Ned's brother I think was killed trying to save his dad.  Then the Mad King ordered Ned and Robert be brought to him, and Jon Arryn refused, and thus the Ayrie (however you spell it), Robert's kingdom, and the North rebelled against the Mad King.

The was was won, Ned went to find his sister right after Rhaegar had been killed, and that's when you see that fight, Ned finds his sister, she whispers to him (99% that John Snow is her and Rhaegar's son), and makes him promise her something, probably to take care of John.  So, the war was over, but if Ned told anyone who John really was, John would be killed, and who knows what else would have happened.   Instead, Ned went home, the new Lord of the North, Robert became king, married Cersei to ally with a very powerful family, and Jon Arryn married Ned's sister in law (who was in love with Little finger).

That's what I love about the show.   The layers and layers and depth of connections.

Damn!  Did you get all that from just watching the show? 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

There's a line early on about the Targaryen family line, that they either achieve greatness or madness (something like that). Danaerys' father was The Mad King, Aerys, who burned Ned Stark's father and brother alive. The nerds believe that Daenarys is going to end up psychotic and Tyrion knows this already.

Why would Tyrion align with her if he knows she's going to go crazy?  To sabotage it or to make sure he's on her good side?  He hates Kings Landing and his sister, so I dont see why he'd be trying to help them out.

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why would Tyrion align with her if he knows she's going to go crazy?  To sabotage it or to make sure he's on her good side?  He hates Kings Landing and his sister, so I dont see why he'd be trying to help them out.

The same reason Littlefinger has taken such an active interest in helping Jon Snow, I'd guess

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Damn!  Did you get all that from just watching the show? 

Most.   It's been so long, I get confused where I heard what first. 

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Aerys_II_Targaryen

You start looking people up on this, and one links to another, and (for me), I just got drawn in.  It's all so in depth, and perspective.  Some people are evil, Joffrey, Ramsey.   More are just, perspective.  Tywin Lannister for example.  He starts a war to save his innocent son.  He fights ruthlessly, yet efficiently, saving as many of his own people as he can.  And, let's face it, he would make a great ruler.   If he ruled, the kingdom would have peace, the debt the throne owed would be paid off, the regular people would be safe once he had finished taking over.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

He doesn't know, he may suspect.  Also, he likes being in the "Great Game" and this is the only way he can get it.   He can be a trusted advisor, and lead a life of luxury.  Or he can be a wanted dwarf murderer.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Most.   It's been so long, I get confused where I heard what first. 

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Aerys_II_Targaryen

You start looking people up on this, and one links to another, and (for me), I just got drawn in.  It's all so in depth, and perspective.  Some people are evil, Joffrey, Ramsey.   More are just, perspective.  Tywin Lannister for example.  He starts a war to save his innocent son.  He fights ruthlessly, yet efficiently, saving as many of his own people as he can.  And, let's face it, he would make a great ruler.   If he ruled, the kingdom would have peace, the debt the throne owed would be paid off, the regular people would be safe once he had finished taking over.

Tywin was my favorite character. I knew once he died, the whole thing was gonna spiral. 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Tywin was my favorite character. I knew once he died, the whole thing was gonna spiral. 

That's the beauty of point of view.   If he was there, Ned never would have been killed, there would have been no war.   It was his moron daughter and psycho grandson that did most of the damage.  The scenes of him and Arya were fabulous.

6 hours ago, jetophile said:

This show totally blows. There's no midget bowling.

Needs that Freddie Mercury midgets with platters of cocaine strapped to their heads thing to liven things up a bit. 

Soooooo some pretty nice table-setting. Favorite part was Sansa telling Jon that his father and brother were stupid and that's why they got overrun. And in a testament to how awful the world is, I read multiple recaps where people were outright pissed about Ed Sheeran.

Spoiler speculation-- Stannis and Melisandre are about to walk back into Dragonstone

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Soooooo some pretty nice table-setting. Favorite part was Sansa telling Jon that his father and brother were stupid and that's why they got overrun. And in a testament to how awful the world is, I read multiple recaps where people were outright pissed about Ed Sheeran.

Spoiler speculation-- Stannis and Melisandre are about to walk back into Dragonstone

I don't get the Ed Sheeran hate.  I just didn't care, I didn't even recognize him.

Arya, "tell them the North remembers"    What a bad ass

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Stannis walks into Dragonstone, Khaleesi has him killed in .1 seconds.    The brother of the usurper?   Dead.

Notice who was in the cell reaching out at Sam?

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Stannis walks into Dragonstone, Khaleesi has him killed in .1 seconds.    The brother of the usurper?   Dead.

Yeah. I watch GOT with the little subtitle box on (because Jon Snow is a mumbler) and even before he spoke, it said "Jorah: Has she..." 

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

I don't get the Ed Sheeran hate.  I just didn't care, I didn't even recognize him.

Arya, "tell them the North remembers"    What a bad ass

So, as the singing was fading in, and it was clear Arya was approaching a group - I said to my wife, "watch this be some putz like Ed Sheeran doing a cameo". I was disgusted with myself for being right. Not because I recognized his voice, but somehow in my brain a synapse fired connecting his track on the Hobbit soundtrack to this.

Anyway, it was a good episode. I have thoroughly enjoyed the crisis of morality that they've engulfed the Hound in, but it's time for him to start splitting skulls again soon. It's getting a bit whelp-ey. No longer entertained by Cersei and her people's eyebrow anymore either. I did like the Iron Isles uncle totally goofing on Jamie though. 

Glad to see the giants turned zombie. That'll be fun. 

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Nope, but it was cool that they re-cast Tyrion with the tiny linebacker.

He was in the episode. A general or something

I feel proud that when I started watching this show, I hated every single character on the show except for Arya.  And now, she's by far the baddest character on the show.  I fee like I deserve some nerd points or something.  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, chirorob said:

I couldn't tell....who?