GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Giving Jamie his nuts back and Arya being a ninja was such a relief to see. Like, we've been waiting for the payoffs on those for awhile. Interested to see how Ninja Arya is applied. Would also like to see Jamie have some PTSD deal where he toughens up if he doesn't drown. 

Equally glad the dragon didnt didn't die from the scorpion. I figured they'd sacrifice one to show off how dangerous the weapon was, and they almost did, but they didn't throw away one of the dragons to do it. 

Remember the thing with Targaryens: they either achieve greatness or madness, so we're at a bit of a crossroads with Danaerys. No doubt Tyrion and Varys are aware of this, and maybe that's why they've been trying to keep her pacified this whole time. If Danaerys does, indeed, go mad, will they--as protectors of the realm--put her down? It'd put them in direct conflict with Jon Snow and back on the same side as Cersei. 

Really, really, really glad Bran challenged Littlefinger because it'll give Littlefinger something to do instead of skulk around plotting. Bran presumably knows who made the dagger, and who ordered his death, so we're gonna kinda have to piece together whether he's omniscient or not, and if he is omniscient, why he's not using his knowledge to help their cause. 

Bronn was the start of the show last night though... been a couple seasons (I think) since Bronn's pure instinct for combat was leveraged in any great scenes. Last night, he was fun to watch. The episode in general was a great one. I thought.

The interesting thing with Bran is now that he has the ability to "see", he's also lost the human emotions that would compel him to act... like empathy, sympathy or anger. He seems to be devoid of all of it. Almost like his transformation into the 3 eyed raven came with an understanding that he's an observer, not an interferer. 

I don't feel like Jamie got his balls back. I feel like Jamie's lack of balls compelled him to do something that he wouldn't normally do, and that Tyrion clearly didn't want him to do. Jamie with 2 hands lives to fight another day. He has less to prove, so he's driven by opting for when the odds favor him. Jamie with one hand acts like an insecure man taking on terrible odds to prove something, rather than accomplish something. I wanted so badly for the dragon to just chomp him in that scene... but again, it looked like Bronn might have saved him. Hard to say.

When they fish him out of the water, I wonder if he comes over to Khaleesi's side with Tyrion.

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

If anyone didn't like tonight's episode, they need to just never watch this show again, and should never comment here again.  Just go watch Golden Girls and pull a Theon with your nuts.

Arya and the guards, cool.   Arya telling Sansa she has a list, and laughing it off, nice.   Bran saying she has a list, and Sansa realizing she wasn't kidding, real nice.  Arya fighting Brienne, awesome.   Jon talking with Khaleesi, nice scene.  

Oh, and the freaking battle was damn cool.   The look when the dragons showed up, men just turning to ash.   Wow.

Not for nothing, but Golden Girls had some of the best comedic writing and timing of any 1/2 hour sitcom in history. 

• Upvote 3

I'm echoing everyone in here, but that was awesome even before the fight scene.

The stark reunion was the the sh*t.  All the interactions were priceless.  The initial awkwardness they shared as kids, to the raw emotion over their fathers death.  The laugh, but I'm not kidding moment, just absolutely brilliant.  Seeing Sansa watch her toy with Brienne was epic.  Partially because I love everything Arya related but also because she was literally looking down on the baddest assassin in the planet and I think she was coming to that realization.  And then her response when Brienne asks her who trained her, "no one".  OMG.  I pee'd a little.

I thought we were going to get a cousin kiss scene.  That was well done.  It just pissed me off after Jon dropped serious knowledge on her she was still like, bend a knee.  She's obsessed and crazed at this point.  I'm pretty damn confident Dany is going to go mad and Tyrion is going to kill her.  You can see it on his face.  Yes, he was struggling watching his brother possibly be defeated by I think he was more so looking at what Dany can do and worried that it's going to be the easy solution moving forward.  Just burn everyone alive.

Bron is the man.  Need more of him.  He steals the screen.

Bran still presents a ton of holes in the story.  Curious how they're going to work though it all but that episode was the sh*t.  Straight up.

While everyone of course has already mentioned it numerous times, Arya/Brienne's scene was friggin' awesome, and I can freely admit I was already completely pumped in anticipation for that the moment Arya strolled out and was watching Podrick get whooped.  You knew it was coming and would be bad ass, and it most certainly did not disappoint.

Right there I had already knew it was easily the best episode of the season.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While everyone of course has already mentioned it numerous times, Arya/Brienne's scene was friggin' awesome, and I can freely admit I was already completely pumped in anticipation for that the moment Arya strolled out and was watching Podrick get whooped.  You knew it was coming and would be bad ass, and it most certainly did not disappoint.

Right there I had already knew it was easily the best episode of the season.

Yea, my wife and I were on the edge of our seats "wait, wait... ****... it Brianne on Arya's list? Holy sh*t... google it quick..."

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm echoing everyone in here, but that was awesome even before the fight scene.

The stark reunion was the the sh*t.  All the interactions were priceless.  The initial awkwardness they shared as kids, to the raw emotion over their fathers death.  The laugh, but I'm not kidding moment, just absolutely brilliant.  Seeing Sansa watch her toy with Brienne was epic.  Partially because I love everything Arya related but also because she was literally looking down on the baddest assassin in the planet and I think she was coming to that realization.  And then her response when Brienne asks her who trained her, "no one".  OMG.  I pee'd a little.

I thought we were going to get a cousin kiss scene.  That was well done.  It just pissed me off after Jon dropped serious knowledge on her she was still like, bend a knee.  She's obsessed and crazed at this point.  I'm pretty damn confident Dany is going to go mad and Tyrion is going to kill her.  You can see it on his face.  Yes, he was struggling watching his brother possibly be defeated by I think he was more so looking at what Dany can do and worried that it's going to be the easy solution moving forward.  Just burn everyone alive.

Bron is the man.  Need more of him.  He steals the screen.

Bran still presents a ton of holes in the story.  Curious how they're going to work though it all but that episode was the sh*t.  Straight up.

Yeah, that is the only part that had me eye-rolling a bit, and you certainly have to hope it's a setup for something down the line as you suggest, otherwise the constantly repeated "bend a knee" crap is pretty lame.  Missandei's comments were the first in a while that were legit and went along with everything that had been going on throughout the rest of the series (that they followed Dany because of who she is, not who her father was).  Something as simple as that convo was even great last night, and spoke more to the message that really makes sense about what this is all supposed to be about.  However, that of course completely contradicts any argument as to why Jon, or anyone else who doesn't know her for that matter, should just by default be conceding to her as queen.  Kind of goes back to a few episodes ago which had to be one of the worst-written conversations GOT ever had, where one moment Dany is talking about the line she is in and therefore the rightful heir, while the next saying that she should not be judged by her father.

But I digress, last night's episode was world's better and so no reason to worry about some of the past stupid crap, but the only point being they either need to have a real reason for continuing to play that up, or just move on from that already.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yea, my wife and I were on the edge of our seats "wait, wait... ****... it Brianne on Arya's list? Holy sh*t... google it quick..."

Haha, seriously.  When Arya made reference to most of the people on her list already being dead, I was desperately trying to remember who was even left.  Cersei and the Hound (maybe?)?

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, that is the only part that had me eye-rolling a bit, and you certainly have to hope it's a setup for something down the line as you suggest, otherwise the constantly repeated "bend a knee" crap is pretty lame.  Missandei's comments were the first in a while that were legit and went along with everything that had been going on throughout the rest of the series (that they followed Dany because of who she is, not who her father was).  Something as simple as that convo was even great last night, and spoke more to the message that really makes sense about what this is all supposed to be about.  However, that of course completely contradicts any argument as to why Jon, or anyone else who doesn't know her for that matter, should just by default be conceding to her as queen.  Kind of goes back to a few episodes ago which had to be one of the worst-written conversations GOT ever had, where one moment Dany is talking about the line she is in and therefore the rightful heir, while the next saying that she should not be judged by her father.

But I digress, last night's episode was world's better and so no reason to worry about some of the past stupid crap, but the only point being they either need to have a real reason for continuing to play that up, or just move on from that already.

Yep.  All of that is spot on.  It's definitely like they talk out both side of their mouth with Dany.  Her people follow her but the only reason she is doing this is because it's her right to the throne.  It's not like she's on a conquest to free the world and make it a peaceful place.  If it was, maybe I missed that in the dialogue somewhere along the lines but from what I recall, she's just an entitled little annoying sh*t trying to get what is rightfully hers.  Nothing more, nothing less

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Haha, seriously.  When Arya made reference to most of the people on her list already being dead, I was desperately trying to remember who was even left.  Cersei and the Hound (maybe?)?

The dudes he is traveling with too. They made the list for selling Gendry. When Arya runs into them all together sh*t is gonna hit the fan.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Same. Lame? Yes. However, I think it's intended to show us that she's lost her way. She's become no different than the others politicking for power. She's not the same Khaleesi that set the slaves free, imo. 

I'm hoping Jorah returning to her side sets her back on the right path.. but who knows. I like that things have been less predictable.

18 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

B-b-b-but the books! 

I just watched a dragon fly over a horizon and light a whole army on fire. **** the books. 

What the heck are you babbling about now?

It is possible to like 2 different things at the same time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Same. Lame? Yes. However, I think it's intended to show us that she's lost her way. She's become no different than the others politicking for power. She's not the same Khaleesi that set the slaves free, imo. 

I'm hoping Jorah returning to her side sets her back on the right path.. but who knows. I like that things have been less predictable.

Yeah, Jon having to talk her down from the idea of completely roasting King's Landing seems to go along with that as well.  That still didn't stop me from briefly thinking "oh, shut up" in the midst of a great episode though.  Of course, it's very possible that's all quite intentional, especially if it's setting up for a future situation where she's going to keep moving in a direction that will be hard to support, or she needs to be brought down off the ledge, like you're saying with Jorah.

20 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Cersie, the Hound, The Mountain, I think Illyn Payne (executioner who killed Ned).

Maybe the guys from the brotherhood without banners for selling Melisandre.   Melisandre, and I think she knows Arya is going to kill her.

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, Jon having to talk her down from the idea of completely roasting King's Landing seems to go along with that as well.  That still didn't stop me from briefly thinking "oh, shut up" in the midst of a great episode though.  Of course, it's very possible that's all quite intentional, especially if it's setting up for a future situation where she's going to keep moving in a direction that will be hard to support, or she needs to be brought down off the ledge, like you're saying with Jorah.

Yea, the way I see it - she's losing two battles - the first on the battlefield, the second with her identity. She's got Tyrion and Varys in her ear, and since they've been there she's deviated from the "pure" path of leadership she was on - where she followed her own lead, instinctually - and is listening to their strategy/scheming. She's gotten her ass kicked in the first couple battles. Then, she did what she felt was right - riding the dragon into battle and risking herself - and suddenly she scores a victory. She took guidance from Jon to not melt King's Landing, but found compromise by going into a battle her way, on her terms.

She's drawn to Jon Snow's leadership. I believe her "bend the knee" crap is her doing what she thinks she's supposed to in order to keep up with the expectations of advisors like Tyrion and Varys, that are used to how King's Landing rulers/leaders function. In Dany's world, up until now, her power has come from instinctive leadership - not posturing, scheming and plotting. I think Snow can help re-center her - so can Jorah. We'll see.

Thinking about why this episode was already infinitely better than the prior episodes before the battle even began, I am suddenly reminded that the majority of the first 3 episodes were spent on the Greyjoys (2 sets of them), Martells, Unsullied, and Janitor Sam.  Not so coincidentally, none of them had any time this week (with the sole exception of Jon's brief encounter with Theon), and there was a marked improvement.  While there's some value to B characters, that was far too much time spent, and the plus side is that it would not be surprising if there was little left to come from any of them.

9 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

The gold is already at Kings Landing. Samwell Tarly's pops says so to Jamie early on before they are attacked. 

Oh. Guess I missed that.

Still shouldn't have burned what I assume were carts of precious wheat and supplies.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have watched the last 30 minutes 5 times over already. It's just as bonerific every time. 

I could watch this scene on a loop for a week.  The kid who plays Arya really can act.   Look at the half smile at the end, she's having fun.  You can tell she has been working for years, she is wicked quick, actually much faster than the actress who plays Brienne.  She is left handed, but even goes back and forth with using weapons in both hands.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I could watch this scene on a loop for a week.  The kid who plays Arya really can act.   Look at the half smile at the end, she's having fun.  You can tell she has been working for years, she is wicked quick, actually much faster than the actress who plays Brienne.  She is left handed, but even goes back and forth with using weapons in both hands.

I love that when Brienne kicks Arya there's a brief moment that's like "oh sh*t, I shouldn't have done that", then Arya pops right back up and it's game on.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I love that when Brienne kicks Arya there's a brief moment that's like "oh sh*t, I shouldn't have done that", then Arya pops right back up and it's game on.

Both of them.   Brienne doesn't over react, but her face says exactly what you said.  "Oh S***, too far".   Then Arya pops up, now she's into it with that stance, the music starts, they really start fighting, and Sansa is like, "WTF happened to my little sister?"

Littlefinger says play everything out in your head, and you'll never be surprised.   But Bran nut shots him with, "Chaos is a ladder".  Arya has the knife and is like a little Ninja.  There is now way he played that out in his head.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

I like that she wanted Brienne because she beat the Hound. Thrones always finds a way to give you little reminders about the connectedness of things. 

• Upvote 1

I didnt buy the scene. Sorry. I saw Arya learn to poison people, I've seen her stab people, and I know she learned tricks from the Faceless Men, but aside from a few lessons from Syrio Forell, we never saw her learning or practicing sword play like that....ever. Reminded me or Rey picking up a saber and dominating someone that has been trained. 

I get it. Girl Power!! and stuff. But Brienne has been training all of her life, defeated Loras, defeated the hound, but now, out of nowhere, Arya is a superhero swordfighter on a level with (or better than) Brienne, and maybe Jaime in his prime?

Kinda lame. Let her be an assassin, thats what she learned to be.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I didnt buy the scene. Sorry. I saw Arya learn to poison people, I've seen her stab people, and I know she learned tricks from the Faceless Men, but aside from a few lessons from Syrio Forell, we never saw her learning or practicing sword play like that....ever. Reminded me or Rey picking up a saber and dominating someone that has been trained. 

I get it. Girl Power!! and stuff. But Brienne has been training all of her life, defeated Loras, defeated the hound, but now, out of nowhere, Arya is a superhero swordfighter on a level with (or better than) Brienne, and maybe Jaime in his prime?

Im no big fan like many here but I "think" we were supposed to play along that yes, she did develop all of those skills while training under the faceless man blind.  The ending scene where she sliced off the candle to fight in the dark brought me to this conclusion.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jeez, what a downer.

I can't say I agree though.  Considering that, despite Brienne showing a bit of hesitancy on more than one occasion, she both knocked Arya's ass down and disarmed her.  The difference was not amazing sword skills, but quick moves and resorting to what would be very assassin-like actions, considering pulling out an extra knife and going to Brienne's throat is hardly what falls within the expectations of a "proper" duel.  I certainly got no impression that the message being sent was that this was a representation of as if Brienne had gone all out against Arya as an enemy.

The real point was that going into that, there was no one (outside of the fans) who had reason to expect anything out of Arya, and everyone was very surprised by what they got.