GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Maybe I have to watch It again but am I the only one who felt a little underwhelmed at how the night king went out? I’m a homer of the show but I was hoping for something more. 691534bb48c05b6d3458240304423a7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was stabbed with the valerian steel blade right at the spot where Bran gave the blade to Arya and she stabbed him in the exact spot where the children of the forest stabbed him to create him.

What could possibly be underwhelming about that? It was epic.

Cersei needs to be sh*tting herself. The woman who killed the Night King has her on a kill list.

• Upvote 1

To be honest I was just mainly being a contrarian ****er. But **** I do hate Arya. It was a pretty amazing ride even if it was often nonsensical.

The Good

Amazing music from start to finish, had goosebumps. 

Everything with Melisandre. Literally lit it up. Loved the completion of her arc. 

Theon. The real MVP. The real Azor Ahai. Alfie Allen killed it as always.

Beric went out like the boss he is. 

The Dothraki disappearing into the night. The unsullied standing unmoved on the retreat. Both amazing in their own way.

Lyanna Mormont being crushed like a grape. Her boss baby act wore thin real quick but that said it was a pretty badass way to go out. 

The trope breaking kill of the Night King. It was a shocking moment. Not executed how I would have liked but better than a predictable duel with Jon. 

Everyone complaining about the visibility - When the characters are also complaining about it it’s intentional. It was supposed to be hectic and confusing. I liked that aspect.

The Bad

The plot armour was just obscene for too many characters. I get that too many major deaths would have them lose their impact but they made it was too convenient. There were times were so many characters were impossibly overwhelmed and they’d just cut to them being fine. 

Jon being an a$$hole and just generally useless. Put his Direwolf on the front lines. Seems to always get people killed, terrible tactician and needs bailing out time and again. 

Arya just being invincible and ridiculously overpowered. Her best scenes were inside when for once she was vulnerable  but she’s just ridiculously over the top at this point. She’s probably the best fighter in Westeros as well as the best assassin - The scenes of her outside were ridiculous. That was never earned - She did nothing like this in Bravos. It actually makes zero sense for Dany/Jon to go South, just send her.

Really feels hard to imagine how you go from apocalyptic threat to another human feud without it being a letdown. Feels a little flat to have it end now and so soon after breaching the wall. This should have been the penultimate episode, with this existential threat putting the human feuds into perspective. It doesn’t really work in reverse.

Bran - The **** was he doing that whole time? Was his whole character arc just to reveal Jon’s parentage? Something Howland Reed could have done? He ultimately offered nothing with the White Walker threat beyond getting marked. Nothing he did was relevant to defeating them.

Overall still a pretty good episode - 8.5/10. Cinematically the best they’ve done. Don’t care too much for dragon fights but I guess it was still superbly executed. I felt the tension throughout and at one point even thought they could all be ****ed, especially around the time I thought Tyrion and Sansa were doing some sort of suicide pact. 

Hard to see what Cersei offers after this - They can build her as rhe favourite all they want but she’s literally the only relevant character on that side. Euron’s portrayal is even more bizarre now given the role he’ll seemingly have. They’ve isolated her so much that it doesn’t feel very climactic, unless there’s drama with Dany/Jon or else Cersei gets self destructive and blows the whole city. 

The biggest positive is the lack of book spoilers because there’s absolutely no way anything like this goes down in the books. Not that we’ll ever know lol kill me.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Besides 80% of the episode not making logistical sense? Besides the darkness that made all of it impossible to distinguish? How many dragons are alive? How many times did characters with names die just show up dying again in another scene? The dragons conveniently disappearing.

The chaos of battle should definitely be itemized for observers. So they feel better about it all.

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I didn't know this thread existed until just now.

First off the darkness if the episode make it much more unsettling in my opinion.  Added to the sense of dread.

That was 90 minutes of teeth clinching.  Great cinema.

Last thought.   The Knight King walks through fire and flies dragons like nothing.  Is he a Targaryen? 

There’s enough evidence IMO to infer the night king is the mad king. The dagger is storied to likely have been his. I don’t think I care if the show confirms it or not. I see it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I believe it was intentionally dark to give you the sense of chaos and terror of the battle. I say this because they made zero attempt to differentiate who was stabbing whom. It was just huge piles of screaming bodies 

The Jet war room was clear as a bell, so I disagree.

I need to check the contrast on my large screen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Can we ******* pause, for just a second, and stop this arguing to just have a moment of silence for Ser Jorah Mormont, Jorah the Andal, a Westerosi Knight and man of Honor who fought bravely and gave his life protecting his Queen!

Haven't been bummed out about a character death since Barristan Selmy. 

Concur. One of the best characters, a true selfless warrior. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I believe it was intentionally dark to give you the sense of chaos and terror of the battle. I say this because they made zero attempt to differentiate who was stabbing whom. It was just huge piles of screaming bodies 

Exactly. The intent was to cause the emotional scattershot of ‘wait, was that....’

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There’s enough evidence IMO to infer the night king is the mad king. The dagger is storied to likely have been his. I don’t think I care if the show confirms it or not. I see it.

Some nerd on another website yelled at me because the Night King was created by the children of the forest (or some sh*t) thousands of years before the Targaryens even existed 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Some nerd on another website yelled at me because the Night King was created by the children of the forest (or some sh*t) thousands of years before the Targaryens even existed 

Yup that’s what the GF explained to me. 

Too much plot so I kind of blocked it out but that’s what happened. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Really feels hard to imagine how you go from apocalyptic threat to another human feud without it being a letdown. Feels a little flat to have it end now and so soon after breaching the wall. This should have been the penultimate episode, with this existential threat putting the human feuds into perspective. It doesn’t really work in reverse.

Bran - The **** was he doing that whole time? Was his whole character arc just to reveal Jon’s parentage? Something Howland Reed could have done? He ultimately offered nothing with the White Walker threat beyond getting marked. Nothing he did was relevant to defeating them.

Hard to see what Cersei offers after this - They can build her as rhe favourite all they want but she’s literally the only relevant character on that side. Euron’s portrayal is even more bizarre now given the role he’ll seemingly have. They’ve isolated her so much that it doesn’t feel very climactic, unless there’s drama with Dany/Jon or else Cersei gets self destructive and blows the whole city.

Unfortunately as I’ve been complaining for a while now, with the show passing the books, there’s just more of this nonsense. Under GRRM, there was so much substance behind the NK. Under D&D, it turns out that the fan theories of the NK were more interesting than the NK himself. Even the stupid grin he shot to Dany when the fire didn’t kill him...wtf was that? When has the NK ever shown any capacity for emotions? He was supposed to be death - emotionless, eventual, practical. 

Even with Arya. I love Arya and her entire story line and have no problem with her killing the NK. In fact, the moment she ran out of the castle after saying “not today” to death, I yelled out that Arya was running to kill the NK (my wife was adamant that I was wrong and that it would be Jon). Anyway, my only issue is that the NK was fully surrounded by wights and walkers in a completely open space outdoors, and none of them saw Arya till she reached him? The NK, who 10 mins earlier was fully aware that Jon was following him from further away - he didn’t suspect Arya until she was right behind him when she screamed? That’s all a bit much for me to take.

All that said though, the episode delivered. It was fun, chaotic, and had a really fun end. Just the little things were generally up to GoT standards in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

lol wut

If you’re going to throw every nameless character into death have there be moments of genuine horror. Show fear and cowardice, loss of discipline and panic. Don’t show blurry shadows and pretend the shadows are characters that we care about dying, especially since they all survived.

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Unfortunately as I’ve been complaining for a while now, with the show passing the books, there’s just more of this nonsense. Under GRRM, there was so much substance behind the NK. Under D&D, it turns out that the fan theories of the NK were more interesting than the NK himself. Even the stupid grin he shot to Dany when the fire didn’t kill him...wtf was that? When has the NK ever shown any capacity for emotions? He was supposed to be death - emotionless, eventual, practical. 

Even with Arya. I love Arya and her entire story line and have no problem with her killing the NK. In fact, the moment she ran out of the castle after saying “not today” to death, I yelled out that Arya was running to kill the NK (my wife was adamant that I was wrong and that it would be Jon). Anyway, my only issue is that the NK was fully surrounded by wights and walkers in a completely open space outdoors, and none of them saw Arya till she reached him? The NK, who 10 mins earlier was fully aware that Jon was following him from further away - he didn’t suspect Arya until she was right behind him when she screamed? That’s all a bit much for me to take.

All that said though, the episode delivered. It was fun, chaotic, and had a really fun end. Just the little things were generally up to GoT standards in my opinion.

Well Arya was trained to be an assassin so sneaking up, even on dead people, seems plausible.  As that scene was unfolding, what I really, really wanted to happen was to have Bran pull his face off, revealing Arya, right at the last second and have her get all stabby on the NK that way.  It wouldn't have really worked out given the logistics, but it would have been really fun.  

I did find the kill scene a bit lacking after all the buildup, but I can roll with it.  Lyanna definitely got the best scene of the night.  If you want to be immortalized in song and legend by your people, that is the way to do it.

Last thought...I wrapped up Star Trek: Discovery, saw Avengers EndGame, and now GoT this last week.  Exhausting but also some really eerie parallels across all three (no spoilers here) that left me almost confused trying to sort it all out in my head.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

That was amazing. 

And you're all idiots for knocking it.  Nothing is realistic in this entire show but now we're going to start complaining about realistic?    it's impossible for Arya, to do this that and the other?  Really?   They're flying around on dragons for christ sake, Jon came back from the dead, the only way to kill dead people is with some strange element buried in the mountains of this long forgotten place but man was it unrealistic to have people overcoming such odds in those scenes.  The red witch had her vagina kill someone but we're complaining about realism now?

GFY's. 

You create a Fantasy Universe’s rules and you abide by them.

You can’t excuse bad writing with the genre. That’s poor.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If you’re going to throw every nameless character into death have there be moments of genuine horror. Show fear and cowardice, loss of discipline and panic. Don’t show blurry shadows and pretend the shadows are characters that we care about are dying, especially since they all survived.

I loved the episode, but I'll admit that a closing shot with Brienne, Podrick, Grey Worm and Jamie lying dead among piles of wights would have been pretty poignant and would have really driven home the message about the horrors of war without really compromising much. I get that they're saving Jamie to deal with Cersei, but they've lingered upon the Jamie-as-defeated, impotent warrior stuff long enough. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I loved the episode, but I'll admit that a closing shot with Brienne, Podrick, Grey Worm and Jamie lying dead among piles of wights would have been pretty poignant and would have really driven home the message about the horrors of war without really compromising much. I get that they're saving Jamie to deal with Cersei, but they've lingered upon the Jamie-as-defeated, impotent warrior stuff long enough. 

It's the trope of bring him to his lowest point so he can rise up at the end more dramatically.

Kind of like what the Jets have been doing for the last 8 years.  

But you're right, Theon has been more of a man than Jamie lately.  

I'm surprised the death count of named characters was as low as it was.  I guess they will rack up a few more in the Lannister war.

I see two main complaints about this episode today. 1, that it was too dark and 2. Arya being a ninja is weak. 

The darkness complaint is whatever. It was clearly intentional and it was supposed to be frustrating, so if you're frustrated today, the director did his job. As for the Arya stuff, they made us sit through a full season of that boring "A girl has no name" sh*t so we could get to that moment. I believe it's implied that she spent multiple years training with that legendary assassin dude, and having her become Jet Li is a-o-*******-k with me because it's our reward for the neverending training montage.

I also think there's no way we're done with the Night King storyline. I don't think the wights return, necessarily, but there's gonna be a lot of reckoning with Danaerys, whom I still believe has some relation to him, so that'll be the framing of it. Also, the things Bran learned while warging are all Night King-related, so the complaint that they conveniently wrapped up the zombie war to be expedient is premature, imo

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It is established pretty early that magic exists in the world.

It was never established that Arya was the greatest fighter in the world.

She was presented as a skilled duelist / assassin.  Not so much a battlefield warrior.  But it wasn't a complete tear in the fabric of GoT reality.  She paid her dues with the faceless man and her time with Clegane.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

It's the trope of bring him to his lowest point so he can rise up at the end more dramatically.

Kind of like what the Jets have been doing for the last 8 years.  

But you're right, Theon has been more of a man than Jamie lately.  

I'm surprised the death count of named characters was as low as it was.  I guess they will rack up a few more in the Lannister war.

I'm with you. I was bummed when they chopped Jamie's sword hand off, but it was like chopping Theon's giant dick off: it's what made them legendary, they lost those items, and then there's three seasons of reclamation.  At some point it becomes like, ehhhhh, you kinda miss cocky a$$hole Jamie and Theon and just want to put them out of their misery

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That scene seemed like it was more about, look at how we can create this really cool landscape of chaos rather than look at this situation evolving where all your favorite characters are about to die.  I felt like they were building up the despair aspect, knowing Arya would take care of business.  Even Snow gave up and was about to kill himself before that little badass saved the day.  Cheesy but also kind of a head nod to those characters that they're ride of die for the cause.

I personally love that they ended the Dead dilemma last night.  The idea they would head south and there would be more conflict all the way to the end revolved around the Dead was kind of lame.  Now they're setting the stage to resolve what this was all about; who sits on the irons throne.  It's no longer about how to defeat death and back to the greatest chess game ever played by humans as the pieces.  How love, family, honor and how it's used as deception to take power now takes front stage and that's what made this show great to begin with...not dragons and dead dudes. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

That scene seemed like it was more about, look at how we can create this really cool landscape of chaos rather than look at this situation evolving where all your favorite characters are about to die.  I felt like they were building up the despair aspect, knowing Arya would take care of business.  Even Snow gave up and was about to kill himself before that little badass saved the day.  Cheesy but also kind of a head nod to those characters that they're ride of die for the cause.

I personally love that they ended the Dead dilemma last night.  The idea they would head south and there would be more conflict all the way to the end revolved around the Dead was kind of lame.  Now they're setting the stage to resolve what this was all about; who sits on the irons throne.  It's no longer about how to defeat death and back to the greatest chess game ever played by humans as the pieces.  How love, family, honor and how it's used as deception to take power now takes front stage and that's what made this show great to begin with...not dragons and dead dudes. 

Agreed. I wanted Jon to behead the ice dragon, though. That would have been bad ass.