GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

well lets see

GoT is a billion dollar franchise and HBO got their highest ratings for any show, ever 

the source material ran out years ago and unlike Sopranos, they actually filmed an ending 

It's like if you're in an airplane and the pilot passed out at the controls (i'm serious and don't call me Shirley), and these 2 dbags D&D somehow landed a plane on fire. they aren't geniuses by any means but 

they did it (*which was more than high priced genius GRRM could do*) and everyone involved printed money.  

In hollywood terms these guys are like heroes.

Sopranos had an ending. The thing with all these shows is that nihilism isn't conducive to resolution. Seinfeld was a show about nothing that ended with them just sitting there looking at each other. Thrones went from the climb is all there is to a season-long what does it all mean phase. Sopranos was aware of the competing considerations, took a real crack at it without pissing all over everything, and actually, you know, made art. So of course they got panned the hardest.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Sopranos had an ending. The thing with all these shows is that nihilism isn't conducive to resolution. Seinfeld was a show about nothing that ended with them just sitting there looking at each other. Thrones went from the climb is all there is to a season-long what does it all mean phase. Sopranos was aware of the competing considerations, took a real crack at it without pissing all over everything, and actually, you know, made art. So of course they got panned the hardest.

The Sopranos also did a much better job of tying up loose ends than Game of Thrones. 

Plus, if you actually paid attention to the final season and the build up in the finale, the ending makes perfect sense. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's art and there's commerce. if it was up to GRRM there might not be any ending at all. 

fast forward this all ends with a disney dragon ride replacing splash mountain in the magic kingdom eta 2030 

Wow. Your GoT takes are even worse than your football takes. 

HBO considers itself prestige television. They would potentially make more money with a quality finale because people who did watch would be more likely to recommend others to sign up and watch. 

Now it feels like a big waste of time. 

I really hope you don't work in a for profit business. 

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

They would potentially make more money with a quality finale because people who did watch would be more likely to recommend others to sign up and watch. 

Now it feels like a big waste of time. 

I really hope you don't work in a for profit business. 

I actually asked a dude in the financial industry this same question, he assures me they are printing money and HBO wanted 10+ seasons. Overseas distribution heals all wounds. Like the NFL it doesn't have to be good.  It's content slop and we all lined up for it. 

as for the prestige, what happens when Disney buys HBO? like they bought everything else? 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 6:11 PM, JiF said:

We did office predictions on Friday.  I nailed it (not saying much) right down to the cutscene.

I call bullsh it.

There's no way you work in an office. 

Unless you consider the 5 SQ ft in front of your fryer an "office".

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

there's art and there's commerce. if it was up to GRRM there might not be any ending at all. 

fast forward this all ends with a disney dragon ride replacing splash mountain in the magic kingdom eta 2030 

It's not up to fat gandalf, it's not up to the mouse, and it's certainly not up to the audience. In art and commerce and everything else, giving the people what they say they want means you're at least as dumb as they are.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:51 PM, Integrity28 said:

Just catching the last bits on replay. The ******* plot holes are nothing short of pure comedy. Maisie Williams tweeted and the meme replies are almost all different plot holes.

Finally watched them. Awful. They undid years of character development in a handful of episodes in favor of big set pieces and, what, I dunno, amateurishly attempting to honor a legacy of subverting expectations?  Terrible writing.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, CTM said:

Finally watched them. Awful. They undid years of character development in a handful of episodes in favor of big set pieces and, what, I dunno, amateurishly attempting to honor a legacy of subverting expectations?  Terrible writing.

giphy-7.gif

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Both hilarious, and frighteningly accurate.

It really is, I disengaged a bit somewhere in season 6 and was underwhelmed by season 7 in general but am shocked at how poor this past season was. A complete failure and betrayal of the cast, crew and fans.

• Upvote 1