prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You have passed the books by a full book.  There is no new info.  After Drogo died Khaleesi and some of her chamber maids would have some good times.  It is known.  It was also the equivalent of 3+ seasons ago, so it's not new news.

By reading the books, I know nothing that you don't know.  Actually more confused, because things are going much differently.

But it is not unpleasant to think of.

I'm just saying, let those of us who haven't go in with no hints, references, or things that may be to come. I get that you have no idea what's going to happen, but there are alternate things that have happened and nobody knows if they've pulled anything from anywhere. There's no point in telling anyone that hasn't read the books what has happened in the books. At least not until next season is over.

Also I don't know how HBO isn't going going to do some sort of spinoff or prequel series once S7 is over. This is too big and too profitable of a franchise to just let it end and HBO is in too heavy a competition with Netflix right now to just let their biggest one go.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Even though you know how Robert's Rebellion ends, that could make a great series.  Robert and Ned going off to live in the Vale, the Mad King descending into madness, young Jaime and Cersei.  Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

I'd like to see Dorne. Bring back Oberyn, get into some more of the history of the Martells. Seems like a fascinating place.

• Upvote 1

Also the one thing we need to be talking about is why the **** didn't Rickon zig-zag? Wasn't that obvious enough even for such a stupid little sh*t like him? Who the hell runs straight when they're getting shot at by arrows?

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Fastest point from point A (ramsay) to point B (Jon racing towards him) is a straight line...prolly thought he could outrun the arrows and was just a scared little kid who just wanted to get to Jon asap?

Dude, even if he ran serpentine with Captain America's shield on his back and Potter's invisibility cloak, Ramsay was gonna kill him. Twas always thus, and always thus will be.

That's just ridiculous. Cap's shield could have taken Winterfell on its own. And then Cap would have taken the entire Stark army out for ice cream.

14 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

Watched it the other night, you can also catch it on HBO's extras section for the episode. I know a lot of the horses are cgi, but they use 80 real ones. Damn that is a lot of horses, and horse care and maintenance alone is expensive as hell. 

Kit Harrington actually stood there for that shot of them all running at him. That is insane. 

• Upvote 1

Cersei with the throne and no kids is absolutely terrifying. They were the only thing that kept her human. I'm terrified. She's a fictional character and I'm terrified of what she might do to me.

• Upvote 3

It's also worth noting that out of the 6 or 7  legit badasses and leaders on this show, almost all of them are women. For all the criticism that RR has received for the nudity and rape scenes, the last thing you can say at this point is that the man's a sexist.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What absolutely pure excellence that was. My God. 

Real talk. I feel nothing but pity for people who don't watch this show. The past two weeks have been the most insane payoff ever and it comes from all the time of investing 6 seasons worth into everything. My GOD that episode. I was expecting a tame finale which just dealt with the ramifications of the battle, but I wasn't expecting anything close to that magnitude. Holy ******* hell. I'm still amped up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It paid us back for Dorne, for the House of Black and White, and for all that Sparrow sh*t. I had some doubts whether they'd reward us for some of that tedium (in a way that books often don't). But, damn, that was excellent. They peeled away so much fat over the course of two episodes, and they did it with such prejudice and poetry that it retroactively validated every second of lag from the prior three seasons. I wonder to what degree that's due to the show moving beyond the books, giving the show runners more freedom to reward the viewer, as opposed to Martin, who seemed to love torturing the reader.

Well said. When Cersei blew it all up, it was like she was getting revenge for all of us.

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cersei getting dressed in her Queen garb even before the wildfire ignited was ****img awesome. Reminded me in some ways of the prison murders scene from Breaking Bad where Cranston is feeding the baby.

Now? TODAY?? You're not going to die today. You're not going to die for quite a while. Sir Gregor!

This is Sir Gregor. He's quiet too.

• Upvote 2

So I had a good night's sleep to reflect on everything:

1. Season 7 has gotta be half and half, right? Like 3-4 episodes for Dany's conquest and the next 3-4 for the Night King.

2. I don't care who wins. Everyone is awesome. Cersei is awesome. Dany is awesome, Jon is awesome. The only thing I do care about? Arya's revenge tour. Don't deprive the audience of that. I don't know how the **** she morphed into my favorite character but it happened damn quickly. 

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

2 more seasons, about 13 episodes total by what they are saying.  I honestly think they wanted it done in one more, but realized that they couldn't do it.

Wait what? For real? Link?

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Whoa. Bombshell.

I like that they're saying even though it's it's less episodes, but they'll be longer episodes. That means epicness.

• Upvote 4

1. Arya is the biggest gangster in all of Westeros.

2. Watching the progression of Sansa has really been something. I love that she bluntly told Jon that he would suffer the same fate as Rob and Ned if he thinks he can act 100% noble all the time and won't suffer the same fate. And I really, really love that she gave credit to Cersei for being able to see stuff like that.

3. The fact that the Lannisters seem so royally screwed right now worries me. Thrones has a way of pulling slights of hand with this kind of stuff and there's no doubt she has or will have something up her sleeve.

4. I see they are making Euron the new dude that everyone hates. The Kanye outfit was a nice touch.

5. The sequence where Daenerys finally landed was incredibly shot. Wish I could have seen that on a big screen.

• Upvote 3

Also there is a 100% chance something terrible is going to happen to Lyanna Mormont. The Thrones team has a way of introducing characters this likeable and then ripping your soul out through your anus for getting attached to them. Like, 2/1 she ends up in Zombie Mountain's hands.

5 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I love you, but don't become one of the book people. Please, please don't become one of those guys. They're the worst.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Ha, I actually like both pretty equally. There are things about the books that I prefer and things about the shows that I prefer, those aforementioned characters being one example. My point was that I never liked Arya until more recently, just can't remember exactly when I started to like her. As for Sansa, I never liked her and still don't. Although I suppose I respect her as a character now. Fun fact the internets has been buzzing about, her hairstyle was identical to Cersei's before she got all neked and had it chopped off. Wonder if that and her quote in the most recent episode are a subtle indication that she's going to be more like Cersei in the coming episodes that we've anticipated. 

It's not that, it's just the way the book people have this way of trying to impose explanations on people who don't read the books don't ask for, and in turn sometimes unintentionally spill the beans about things that might happen. Ask Tom about how some idiot at a house party ruined the red wedding for him. 

48 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Not to dissimilar from you comic book nerds doing so with the movies/tv shows ;)  I kid because I love. Joking aside, one of my best friends ruined the red-wedding, in part, to another one of our best friends while we were all on vacation. It was like watching dad slap mom at the dinner table, everyone just stared in silence. Come to mention it, it was the same one of our friends who ruined Dumbledore dying for me, and he didn't even read those books! We've since killed him. His body is somewhere in the east river. 

See? Death to the book people.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the difference with GoT readers vs. viewers is that the readers are (justifiably?) super-bitter because they were a little-noticed fringe cult before HBO stole their thing and turned it into a mainstream phenomenon. Like hipsters, they want credit for knowing about GoT before it was cool. 

A thousand times this. GoT book people = vegans and crossfitters. If they've read the books, you better believe they are going to let you know that they read them.

25 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Sweet lord that sounds like a nightmare.  There are things I prefer about both, neither of which detract from the other. It's the same thing with LOTRs. I always loathed the Tom Bombadill chapters in the books and went as far as to skip them whenever I re-read it. So glad they left that out. 

But yea, book people tend to lord it over others pretty often, as if their literacy is some sort of power, but that's been the same for any movie or show made after a book or comic. As long as neither suck, I don't particularly care. Plus, with the show, you get boobs. And it's been my longstanding opinion that boobs always beats out no boobs. 

I can't for the life of me comprehend how the books can remotely stack up to the show. There is no way in hell. ******* Homer and Dostoevsky don't hold up to this sh*t, but the printed words of George Martin do? There's no way.

Puzo's books are great but anyone who could ever have the balls to argue that they are just as good as Coppola's work needs to be shot. Sometimes one medium is just better.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Oh you're just angry because you can't read and the internet finally knows all about your struggle with literacy. Finally explains all those comics and picture books!

tumblr_nwyiw31lRn1u3dx87o1_500.gif

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's sad. LOL.

I love both. One is a great show. The other is a brilliant piece of world building literature.  But they are not the same.

I look forward to seeing specific scenes put to film, its pretty cool to see things brought to visual medium. But there are a lot of subtleties and character development that can't be done in a TV or movie format. Whatever. 

As for impact, when I read the Red Wedding, I literally got so pissed off In threw the book down and stopped reading for two weeks. I am a prolific reader, but I can't recall another writer making me do that....

And now that the show has overtaken tge timelines ofnthe books, I get to look forward to seeing how BOTH progress, evolve, and finish. 

Double awesome. 

Except for Selmy. At least in the books, He Lives!

Look, I get it. I read a lot too. When Nolan's Foundation series drops I'll probably be critiquing it to death because I hold those books dear to me and I will constantly be making comparisons. Completely understandable. It's human nature.

That said, there is no way anything he wrote compares to the last two episodes of last season, or plenty of others. There's just no way. Game of Thrones is entertainment on such another level of things it's insane. Character development and all, that's great and hard and damned impressive when an author pulls it off. But there is no way in hell anyone is ever going to convince me that anything in those books is as good as, for example, that moment when Cersei brought down the whole thing.

The best way I can put it is this: That scene where Arya bakes Walda's kids into a pie and feeds it to him? Benioff and Martin stole that from Shakespeare. Titus Andronicus, Act III. I knew it the second it happened because Titus is a personal favorite of mine. And you know what? That moment in the show was better than Shakespeare wrote it in the play. And if the show is better than Shakespeare than I can be pretty confident in saying it's better than Martin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

His first 3 books were real good, four was awful.  Awful.

The Arya pie thing was sort of done in the books.   A different lord, loyal to the Starks did it, or was insinuated as having done it. 

What is this Foundation Series you speak of?   I feel the same way with the Dark Tower coming out.   It will be nothing like the books, and I'm going to have to try to separate it from them to watch it.

I really think Euron (the pirate kind guy) is going to somehow steal a dragon.  It's the only way to level the playing field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

There are arguments among Asimov nerds on the Internet about the order a first timer should be reading them. Some say chronologically, others say original trilogy first, then order of publication. I'm of the latter, but if you're the type of person that always prefers having things in order, then it's up to you. But IMO you're really doing a disservice to yourself because it will spoil the ending of the original trilogy if you read in order.

He later wrote a series of books that connect the Robot novels (I, Robot...etc) to the Foundation series, so technically they all take place in the same universe, and the Robot series serves as a prequel of sorts to the Foundation prequels.

The Dark Tower looks ******* awful. I have never been a Stephen King fan but you can tell from the trailer and the run-time that they completely butchered whatever was there for some cliche star-driven drivel.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who's the one dead character you'd want to come back to life? I'm going with Tywin because 1. Charles Dance is incredible and 2. He was the moral center of the show and losing him sort of set the whole GoT universe adrift.

I'll second this one. Tywin was the man. The scene where he called Arya out for traveling as a boy is my favorite piece of dialogue in the entire series. There was something about the way he said "smart."

People forget, the great irony of Arya's revenge tour is that she's only alive because of Tywin.

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

They were.   People were also scared to cross him.   If you did what you should, you were left alone.   If you crossed him, you could be utterly destroyed.

I think Tywin and Ned were kind of the last of a dying breed. Very similar guys with similar flaws in underestimating the weaknesses of their kids. Tywin with Tyrion and his vengeance, and Ned with Sansa re: how she got manipulated by Cersei to side with the Lannisters in S1. And coincidentally both married each other and then became chief advisors for the two largest armies opposing the Lannisters.

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2017 at 8:22 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Apologies to RJF in advance, and I don't want to be a "book guy," but this is where I think the/any show can sometimes suffer. Novels in general, you have 1000 pages to devote a handful to Euron or various parts of the GOT universe so that when something like this happens, it doesn't feel as forced. That having been said, more episodes and a greater number of seasons could cure that as well. However, I just think it's easier in a novel, given a larger medium to work with, to discuss characters not currently in the picture, whereas it's difficult to spend a lot of time discussing characters in a show when they're off-screen. Would just feel awkward. 

As for the ships being surprised; I think part of it is the writers wanted you to assume that Yara's entire fleet was so cocky after the big war meeting that they didn't think something like this could happen, and Euron might be more powerful than just a blood-crazed pirate. A power that would allow his ships to sail quicker and harness a storm etc. Regardless, I think in general, if you stop looking at a show that is based on dragons and the undead so analytically, you won't get upset about the logistics of a giant battle like this, when the real story, just like True Detective, has always been about character development and the emotions they portray. Like how Yara felt betrayed when Theon/Reek dropped his sword and fled etc. and they look all three of them shared..  Just my thought. Still badass nevertheless. 

Who reads. I mean really.

I'm finally all caught up. I'm sure people are bitching about all sorts of things on the internet but the one thing that doesn't make sense to me is this:

Of all the things that Bran could have told Sansa, like I dunno, maybe Littlefinger helped kill her dad or that Arya is alive or a million other relevant things, he chooses to tell her she looked beautiful on the night she was raped? Huh?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Dr Manhattan syndrome

I honestly didn't pick up on that until the thank you scene this week. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company