prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

So the dagger is a layered little artifact, but I’m connecting dots and think it belonged to the mad king... thus it was returned to owner tonight.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That was breathtakingly amazing. I’m going to watch that again. No bullsh*t soliloquies, no dopey vignettes. It was patient, yet riveting. So many great scenes. Sansa and Tyrion’s moment behind the crypt was acting excellence. My god 

100%

1 minute ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I was edging that entire episode. 

My wife as Jon stared down the dragon “maybe he can control it?”

Me: no, either they all die and last 3 episodes are Lannister’s versus dead... or it’s an Arya moment.

no sooner did I say it, and boom she comes flying in... then he grabs he we both exclaim “oh ****”

them boom we are high-fiving and cheering 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Besides 80% of the episode not making logistical sense? Besides the darkness that made all of it impossible to distinguish? How many dragons are alive? How many times did characters with names die just show up dying again in another scene? The dragons conveniently disappearing.

The chaos of battle should definitely be itemized for observers. So they feel better about it all.

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So I didn't know this thread existed until just now.

First off the darkness if the episode make it much more unsettling in my opinion.  Added to the sense of dread.

That was 90 minutes of teeth clinching.  Great cinema.

Last thought.   The Knight King walks through fire and flies dragons like nothing.  Is he a Targaryen? 

There’s enough evidence IMO to infer the night king is the mad king. The dagger is storied to likely have been his. I don’t think I care if the show confirms it or not. I see it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Or so that the tragedy of death actually has impact

lol wut

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I believe it was intentionally dark to give you the sense of chaos and terror of the battle. I say this because they made zero attempt to differentiate who was stabbing whom. It was just huge piles of screaming bodies 

Exactly. The intent was to cause the emotional scattershot of ‘wait, was that....’

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If you’re going to throw every nameless character into death have there be moments of genuine horror. Show fear and cowardice, loss of discipline and panic. Don’t show blurry shadows and pretend the shadows are characters that we care about dying, especially since they all survived.

The Hound.

I think you’re trying too hard to have an issue with this. It’s cool. Rant away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Also I’m about 90% sure that Ghost was CGI’d in after the fact. Gone for seasons and he hasn’t been acknowledged at all. He’s the last direwolf ffs. They’re to the Stark’s what the Dragons are to the Targ’s.

Wait... you think the giant white wolf who would have aged 8 years and looked older by now was CGI?

Please tell me you’re trolling. You sound like an idiot.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s not a complaint solely about this episode. She was dominating Brienne last year, she was by far the most effective fighter they showed in combat against the wights. It’s just bizarre, it’s too much.

My dislike of her character is more to do with her general demeanor, although that can be extended to most of the female cast as D&D have no idea how to write strong women beyond blunt badassery. 

I have less of an issue with her actually assassinating the Night King, it’s more her skill set even if it was a bit ridiculous, but I can forgive that for the shock value. 

I know plenty of actual strong women that don’t seem to have an issue with these characters. I’m sure they’d love you to mansplain why these strong women are not really strong women though.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It wasnt just the Hound.  Sam showed horror and then he was saved.  Dany was clearly scared out of her mind when the Night King survived her flames.  Jon showed fear.  Arya was terrified and even had a high pitch scream.  Jorah looked defeated after the Dothraki were eliminated.  Sansa and Tyrion were hiding behind a coffin.  You had 3 people basically commit suicide; Theon, Beric and Lady Lyanna. 

Silly talk. 

Yep. Wife and I thought Sansa and Tyrion might off themselves. Or were thinking it.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I never said they weren’t strong – Just that D&D have a very warped version of what strength is and how to bring it across – It has to be blunt and in your face. These characters were created, introduced  and for years portrayed as the GRRM Characters – It’s only in the last few years where D&D have taken over and the shift in how they’re portrayed is pretty obvious. ASOIAF has feminist themes all over which are effectively brought across. The last few seasons of GOT have desperately tried to bring these themes across but have instead created caricature’s of what the characters were. 

Dany, Arya, Sansa, Lyanna, Brienne – They’re just not grounded in reality. Always completely sure of themselves to farcical levels with little to no justification. Always dropping one liners, particularly to emasculate those around them. Their actions are inconsequential – They can feed people to dogs, commit genocide, burn people by the thousands – It’s empowering without any sense of guilt or trauma, without any effect on their psyche - Just on to the next. Nothing relatable. Arya is essentially a monster at this point and they can’t seem to decide if she’s a loving sister or a cold hearted murderer from scene to scene. 

Contrast that to the portrayal of Catelyn, who escaped the post GRRM era. She was constantly anxious, afraid and shown to be vulnerable time and again. Overcoming and acting in face of those fears are what made her admirable – What demonstrated her strength. D&D have literally no idea how to portray that – It has to be strength, power, badass etc. with no nuance. Compare Cat’s reaction to Rickon/Bran being “killed” to Rickon actually being killed. They wouldn’t dare undermine Sansa or Arya’s strength so they don’t even bring him up - Vulnerability bad. They did a slightly better job with Arya this episode but last season was just some unbearable bullsh*t. 

Ironically they do give Cersei more vulnerable moments because to them that is a negative trait. In spite of her inhumane features she’s actually still quite relatable – More so than the protagonists IMO. 

tl;dr

they are warriors and aspiring conquerors/royalty

no idea wtf you are talking about

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Maybe one of your strong female friends can explain?

Probably not, they aren’t used to the levels of estrogen you’re pumping out.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Help me out here: did Arya kill the NK with that Littlefinger dagger or with that staff thing Gendry made her? 

Dagger, doofus. Dagger that was used by assassin to try and kill Bran, then given by Catelyn to Littlefinger, the Bran to Arya right in the same place she killed NK with it.

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I really was expecting Brienne to die. The only complaint I've had with the show since Jon was resurrected was that they've been more tentative with killing off popular characters, instead choosing to kill off lesser, peripheral characters.

I mean, Tormund is awesome, but how the **** has he survived that giant battle with the dead north of the wall last season, the destruction of Eastmarch(?) at the end of last season, and now this? Speaking of that north of the wall battle, I was expecting a number of deaths, but the guy they choose to kill? The drunken preacher who no one gives a sh*t about. Seriously?

Still, a great show, and last episode was phenomenal.

Giant milk, durrrrrrrt.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

YAAAAAAAAAA FEMALES

SYRONGYUUURRRRRR FEMSLES

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’m not the doofus. A coworker was steadfast that it was the staff. My coworkers are dumber than JN posters and even more confident in their idiocy

So wait... are you going to show him this? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Wait wait wait- what dagger then did Arya give to Sansa? 

Was that a different valerian steel dagger?

Now I confused. 

A dragon glass dagger.

Valar maghoulis was said by red witch to grey worm at one point. Havent heard that phrase in a while. I wonder if foreshadowing or not... 

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

And I noted that in episode 2 they reminded us that Gendry is Robert Baratheon's bastard. Gotta wonder if that could factor in somehow.

For the life of me, I can't remember who knows that besides Davos and now Arya.

My prediction: Jon, Dany, the last Targaryens, Cersei and Lannister line all die, Arya marries Gendry and he surfaces as the heir to Baratheon, thanks to Davos, and claims the Iron Throne. Or something like that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Arya Rules !

Mrs. Crimson called it

Would a dragon glass dagger work against Tom Brady?

100% chance he’s already had one up his ass. So, no.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Dude, nice find. I knew there was a lot of foreshadowing, but this includes details I’d forgotten about. Even more appreciation for how it culminated now.

52 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The show writers themselves admitted they only made the decision to have Arya kill the NK 3 years ago. You can find foreshadowing in anything if you look hard enough.

Then credit them for re-referencing past content for how they went about making it happen. Rather than just going rando

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:31 PM, IndianaJet said:

It was never actually established that Arya knew the Night King's eyes were blue.

Why would this be necessary? It’s not like Arya took this as permission to go do it. It was a premonition she shared with Arya. Nothing more.

I’m chomping at the bit....

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not to be pedantic, but it’s “champing” at the bit

lol GFY 

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Meh.... not bad, but the first hour sure did spend a whole lot of time looking for excuses to write characters off the show who no longer served any purpose in the story, but HBO was too scared to kill off last week (probably, in part, to help feed their desire for spinoffs).

Lots of staging. Not much of interest going on, since we already knew Dany was cracking. Cersei is no longer entertaining. Jamie is the most intriguing character left. Him and Sansa. I still don’t know whose side he’ll be on when he gets to Kings Landing. Varis, Tyrion came close to their old banter. Ambush wasn’t very creative, but it’s all about evening odds. If it’s nit feasible Cersei could win, thenThere’s no point.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It's great and I'm thankful we're here but it begs the question to be asked; why were the Dragons such a central theme in this show for so long, to have such little significance?  Like, when you really think about, what purpose did they serve?  The biggest benefit they provided for the entire series was the dead one taking out the wall.  You had the scene where they returned to Dany and saved her in that crazy scene where all the masked people started killing everyone in the Gladiator pit and the scene she goes north to save the crew trying to capture a zombie but that was about it.  Otherwise, they helped take out the Lannister reserves/gold in that one battle and that they really didnt even need to win.  Kind of weird to me to have them be so "powerful" yet, basically wield no power at all and very easily taken out (******* Euron took one out for christ sake).   Unless Drogon just goes balls to the wall and torches the entire city of Kings Landing, I'll be honest, I dont get the Dragons place in this show.  They've been largely meaningless. 

Now that we've got to this point, I'm actually less intrigued by who ends up on the Iron Throne that I am to find out who kills who.  LIke it's got to be a bloodbath and it's got to be characters killing characters to finish thing out.

Dragons are what made people follow Dany. Without them she doesn’t rise to power. They are a McGuffin, in Several storylines. Now their deaths will be cause for Dany to go berserker.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Did you not understand the scene?

When Melisandre repeats the conversation that she had with Arya way back in season 3 she emphasizes "blue eyes".  In fact, she says "blue eyes" last when in the original Season 3 conversation she said, "brown eyes, blue eyes and green eyes". 

And here's the important part: when Melisandre emphasizes "blue eyes" Arya's reaction to those words is clearly meant to imply that Arya understands that Melisandre is telling her that she is the one who is destined  to kill the Night King.  My point is and was, Arya can't have that understanding if she doesn't know what the Night King looks like (which they never establish in the show).

When Arya leaves the library, it was pretty clear to me that she was going to go find and kill the Night King, she wasn't just running away from the dead as they tried to get into the library.  

I got all that. That’s what I mean by premonition. Arya understood it as more of a prophecy. 

Anyway, I guess what I mean is, why does it have to be a scene in the show where Arya sees their blue eyes? Can’t we, as viewers, infer that this might just be common knowledge?

Ultimately, it seems like we’re just trying too hard to call things that weren’t spelled out ‘mistakes’. 

54 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Well....to be fair, the show has never indicated that Bran can really see into the future with any accuracy.  He's had some visions, but none of them have been clear.  There's nothing to suggest that he can accurately see the future or accurately see everything in the future.  His visions have been very abstract.

Even when telling Sam what being the three eyed raven means at the end of season 7 he says he can see the past and he can see things "happening all over the world now" but he never says he can see the future.

Even this season, episode 2, when they are planning the defense against the dead, he offers himself up as bait for the Night King because he's the "world's memories".

Bran literally has a line in this weeks episode, “I mostly spend my time in the past”. Can he in fact see the future at all? I only recall him seeing the past. Red Witch saw future in the flames.

Speaking of which, what are the odds we never find out what The Hound saw in the flames?

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

The castle was Eastwatch and the mountain that looked like an arrowhead was pointed out when they went beyond the wall.

Hmm. I thought they referenced that there was more to it in ep 1 or 2 of this season. Maybe I’m misremembering. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Not familiar...

The Office after Michael Scott. Around end of season 8.

Without Steve Carrell the show was just okay. Then they bring her in and it becomes instantly unwatchable. Not sure how many episodes she lasts. Easily the lowest point and worst character in any show I’ve ever cared about.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company