prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

First time I was really disappointed in the writing.  Let's start with the improbability of a first shot, from a boat, with wind, being a direct hit on a fast-moving, elevated target.  Pretty much zero there.  Now let's add in the fact that those shots should take several seconds at least to reach the dragons.  How, pray tell, did the dragons and Dany not see an entire fleet of ships in the time it took the ships to see the dragons, aim a ballista and fire it perfectly?  I know it's fantasy, but the non-magical elements should all make sense and this just didn't.  It was lazy writing to whittle down the forces of the North.  We are so close to the end of the series and it's such a shame to see them using weak plot devices to set the stage.  This is the first time I really felt like they have gone off the GRRM rails because I don't think he would have written it this badly.  Shame....Shame....Shame.

As for Missandei, we pretty much knew either she or Greyworm was a goner and it makes more sense to off her and have him go into a cold rage.  So you'll have to warm yourself with scenes of Sansa I guess but it's only 2 more episodes so tough it out :).  My issue is that it looked like she had an opportunity to grab Cersei and at least try to pull her off the wall with her, even with the shackles on her wrists.  Even if it didn't work out, it would have been a spectacular way to go.  

My last beef was the near character assassination of Jon last night.  Yes, he was a total puppy dog with Ygritte but I can respect that because she was...well...crazy hot and she was his first love.  But after that, to see his wishy washy reaction to Dany trying to use the power of her feminine parts to get him to lie to his family was pathetic.  He really isn't acting like king material.  Sansa really has become the best of the bunch for that.

On to the good stuff.  Glad to see Jamie heading down to KL for the end game.  As much as it feels like he's going there to right his wrongs (i.e. kill his sister-wife) that would seem to go against the prophecy Cersei heard that a younger, more beautiful queen would cast her down.  Lots to speculate on regarding that.  Also, I really, really hope that Arya and the Hound have more to do because they are now my favorite characters on the show.  Total badasses with little moral compass and no sh-ts to give.  Loads of potential!

100% agree.

6 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I've got to re-watch the episode as well as watch the "Inside the Episode" recap....but I think there might be a chance that somehow Rhaegal survived.

Much like the writers have done in the past, they lingered just a little too much on the conversation with Cersei and Euron about Rhaegal being dead, when Euron says something to the sort of I saw it fall into the ocean.

Then, they conveniently make sure that Cersei can see that Dany arrives at the parley with only one dragon, calling back to the original parley at the dragon pit in season 7 where Cersei correctly assumes one of the dragons is dead, because Dany only showed up with two dragons.

The one thing I don't recall, and I need to re-watch the episode tonight for, is there a scene with Dany mourning or acknowledging the loss of her second dragon (other than when he first went down)....or one of her other advisers confirming that Rhaegal is in fact dead?  I don't recall it, but I could missed it while watching the episode.

The final shot in next week's trailer is Euron looking up into the sun with a look of surprise.  Maybe it's just Drogon making his final approach (out of the glaring sunlight to shield him from accurate Scorpion fire?) or just maybe its a look of surprise because it's Rhaegal coming and Euron thinks he's dead.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

I had the same thought during the preview.  What could be surprising in the sky like that?  Still, Rhaegal took a spear to the head.  It literally seemed to blow his head apart.  Not sure how they'd explain it but they seem to be okay with sloppy writing now so maybe...

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

ACTUALLY, one spear through the chest, one through a wing, and the last one through the neck, a few feet back from the head. 2:50 mark.

https://news.yahoo.com/em-game-thrones-em-may-144028921.html

To summarize, it's a fourth dragon, and it's due to Tyrion being The Prince who was Promised and having Targ blood. Evidence:

- Tyrion is the bastard product of the Mad King raping Tywin's wife.
- Tywin’s last words to Tyrion are also literally, “You’re no son of mine.”
- "There’s also the fact that the gyroscope in Game of Thrones‘ opening credits depicts four dragons instead of three and that in season 5, Tyrion and Jorah saw a dragon flying over Valyria that was never confirmed to be Drogon."

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

What is your definition of a great ruler?

If he ran the kingdom, the debt would be repaid, there would be peace among the houses, and general safety for the people.  I never said he was a good father, or that he wasn't a hypocrit when it came to Tyrion's whore.

SHE HAD A NAME, ROB!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Spell it without google.

Since I can't, I label her.    Cause I'm a dirty, horrible man who stinks with names.  

Shae, as in: Shae would have taken all of my money.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Man, I'm about to go hypocrite here because I have been defending some of the stupidity in this show but my god, that was awful.  AWFUL.  Like, the worst.  I mean, fun to watch if you think watching a CGI dragon going around torching a city is cool but otherwise, I want punch the writers in the face to a bloody pulp.  Nothing made any sense, nothing adds up, just disgusted what they've done this season.  

Welcome to the light.

There is so much to hate about this episode's inconsistencies and fails that it would take me over an hour to categorize. I'm not wasting my time on this piece of sh*t episode. The beginning scenes of Varys, Tyrion, and Jaimie before he 'escaped' were the only things worth watching in this 80 minute installment, and those three combined for maybe 5 minutes total. Absolutely despicable.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Does anyone else really wish that Jorah was still alive for this episode? I think they could have brought that character full circle in an amazing way if they had left him alive to see to this. 

Starts as her assassin. Falls in love, devotes nearly the entire series to protecting her, helping her... And comes to see what she does and realize he should have killed her 5 seasons ago. 

Idk. That just really bothered me. For him to survive the series just to be one of the few token "importants" that get killed off in E4. If he could die in this episode, possibly helping people escape the woman he loves, after watching what she did... would have really enjoyed that.

Probably one of the most beautifully shot hour+ of TV or movie I've ever seen in my life. Completely justified the obscene bill for the new TV

If Jorah were still around, she'd have her home base and wouldn't have burned down the city. Jorah, Missandei and Jon all had to die or turn on her to justify her going mad.

I get that it feels rushed, but that was always to be expected with such little time left. I actually think D&D did a good job of showing her turning mad, I just felt like they could have executed the actual turn better. There was absolutely no reason for her to burn the city after hearing the bells (also, how did the civilians know that ringing the bells meant surrendering? I though only Tyrion, Jamie, Dany, and eventually Jon knew about that signal). The city and the people did nothing to her, and this is the place that she's grown power hungry to rule. That part made no sense. Personally, I would have liked to have seen her go directly for Cercei, burn her alive, take the throne, and then put on a witch hunt for people who believed Jon should be on the throne. I would have liked to have seen the isolation of not having Jorah & Missandei, and the insecurity of Jon's 'betrayal' exposed - as opposed to just rage...That would have been an actual turn to madness.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the part that bothers me most. And then she says, “Sandor...thank you”? What the **** was that? 

I had a problem with it when Bran said it to Theon, but then Bran's a weirdo anyway so whatever. But saying that to Sandor was straight trash.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Question about dragon physiology.

Can they just spit perpetual fire? Without eating a horse or a goat or something?

I know the episode only showed the dragon reigning fire for about 30 minutes but I’m guessing in real time it was about 2 hours to destroy the iron fleet, all the spear guns, the entire city and the Red Keep. 

Never saw the dragon stop for a snack. 

While I completely see where this is coming from, I think some of the best athletes in the world go 3-4 hours without eating, like in a double OT NBA game or an NFL game. So I guess 2 hours might be doable for Drogon.

But, then again:

photo.jpg

• Haha 3

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company