prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

So I generally think that people who complain about Game of Thrones are weird but my friend this week asked me why didn’t Bran just have knives strapped to the backs of the ravens and then he could kamikaze them into the Night King, and I gotta admit that’s a damn good point.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you’re thinking of themes and whatnot, the show is rapidly returning to its roots by eliminating all the supernatural crap and getting back to basic human  treachery, which is nice. There’s only one zombie left and one dragon, and both are pretty much ticketed for doom. Hopefully it comes down to who cons who down the stretch. Could be fun, and hopefully Euron is taken out next week. 

Euron is the new Joffrey and I gotta admit I’m rooting for him because of it. #teamjoffrey4eva

a-king-doesnt-discuss-battle-plans-with-

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I normally hate comparisons to the book and I get that the book counterpart would have been difficult to portray but the Show Euron has been so ******* bad. It feels ridiculous to see him kill a dragon and be involved in the endgame. No one cares about him.

I care about him. A lot.

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All I know is, if they bring that dragon out from the water without giving us some balls to the walls explanation for it, then that'll be super weak. But, they probably wouldn't put a flagrant tease about it in the previews if it was just gonna be "surprise! That dragon never really died!" The ice dragon also went into the water before it was resurrected, so maybe there'll be a similar plot device with this one, and not just some bullsh*t where it simply survived two death blows. 

mu1r0lzuajw21.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To be fair, every Bran reponse has been "sh*t happens. sh*t will happen. I don't give a sh*t."

I don't understand why you jagaloons are bitching about this one. The 3-eyed Raven dudes stay out of this sh*t. They exist to be memories and nothing else. Both incarnations in the show have explained this clearly.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

THATS WHAT I JUST SAID DOUG

Why isn't Tyrion saying more to him? Oh I dunno. Tyrion had a hard time believing White Walkers existed up until like a year ago. So maybe the thought of a guy that has literally seen every second of Tyrion spending money on hookers is a little overwhelming for him.

You idiots are turning into this endless time loop of Dante and Randall debating about contractors that got needlessly killed on the Death Star. Or the guys who buy convention stand pizza at ComicCon and get into screaming matches about who changes the tires on the Batmobile. It's a ******* fictional story! Nobody changes the tires!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bran literally has a line in this weeks episode, “I mostly spend my time in the past”. Can he in fact see the future at all? I only recall him seeing the past. Red Witch saw future in the flames.

Speaking of which, what are the odds we never find out what The Hound saw in the flames?

The castle was Eastwatch and the mountain that looked like an arrowhead was pointed out when they went beyond the wall.

• Upvote 1

For the second week in a row, Game of Throne’s creative staff have come under fire — and not from a dragon. Whereas last week’s battle royale was so dark it could barely be seen, last night’s episode included an unexpected cameo from a rogue coffee cup.

The cameo occurred at the 17:39 mark of the episode, during a scene in which Tormund Giantsbane is toasting Jon Snow during a post-battle celebratory meal. Daenerys Targaryen is seated nearest to the coffee, though she never acknowledges it. Nor do show runners Gavid Beinoff and D.B. Weiss, who were apparently too busy dressing up as wildlings to monitor quality control of the scene.

In a statement to Variety, GOT art director Hauke Richter said the gaffe is being “blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with Thrones so far.”

Richter also spoke to TMZ and reiterated that it was an innocent mistake. “We are usually so diligent that this does not happen,” Richter explained. “The shoot was very hard and demanding and it is likely that after a very tiring episode three shoot, this was simply overlooked by an exhausted crew.”

Funny for sure, but man do I feel empathy for the guilty party. The production from start to finish last night was epic by any standards, and that's the thing that people take away from it. It's a real shame. The person responsible for that must be killing themselves over it today.

One of my good friends was one of the art supervisors on Into the Spiderverse. Took up three years of his life and many of those included sleepless nights and I saw it firsthand. I don't think the majority of viewers really appreciate how much time and work is put into some of this stuff.

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

We were never anything else babe. ❤️

Srs question. Why?

Because he’s a good villain in a fun story that has a history of good villains. Not much more to it than that. Nor does there need to be. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Because he wants to **** Cersei?

I genuinely can't think of less effort they've put into a character.

Well technically speaking he’s already ******* Cersei. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Those contractors knew who they were workin' for, they knew the risks when they took that job.  

A roofer listens to his heart, not his wallet.

• Like 1

Is it possible for a person to heel hook himself? 

I will literally kimura your shoulder off through your anus.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

A lot of the show is point of view.   There are no real "Good guys".   A few truly evil, but mainly point of view.   I have always said, Tywin would have been the best ruler.   He was ruthless, so no one challenged him.  He was a great leader and manager, the land would have prospered.  Everything he did was to protect his family, no different than what Arya and Sansa are doing now.

This is maybe the thing I have always enjoyed most about the show. No true heroes, but definitely a few true villains. And when the show wants to create the latter, they really go after it. Joffrey, Ramsay, Euron...when they go after it, they are ruthless.

Then the borderline ones, Aliser, Roose, even the High Sparrow, you could always understand where they were coming from.

I really never considered Tywin an antagonist. Jamie maybe, Cersei probably, but Tywin always had a Ned Start-esque quality about him. Difference obviously being he refused to buy into Ned's naivety, but I'm not so sure that makes him a villain.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Tywin wasn't so much a villain as he was just a huge dick. 

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but I always interpreted his dickishness as more of a necessity than his actual personality, because his children and grandchildren and other family members were constantly acting like morons. Had Cersei been the person then that she is now he probably would backed off.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Roose was ruthless, but he was loyal to Rob Stark until Rob started acting like an idiot, going back on his word, and marrying someone after being promised to someone else.  That was why the North lost, and why house Frey turned on them.

High Sparrow was a religious zealot who took offense to his Queen having illegitimate kids with her twin brother. 

Sure, but he's living in a world where all political and cultural ambitions are rooted in gratuitous violence too. So there's a basis for him believing religious goals should be couched in the same norms.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was a pragmatist but not a sadist. The scenes where Tywin and Lady Olenna discuss the burdens of parenting and leadership in the modern age were some of the most compelling parts of the whole series. This, here, is the ultimate Tywin Lannister scene where he reveals his grand philosophy. The show desperately misses this kind of discourse and, especially, acting excellence:

The arc with him and Arya was Tywin at his best. Those that earned his respect always got it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Great scenes and another place where Tywin was the hero-ish when he intervened to stop the torture of prisoners, including Arya, to put them to work. The show really lost it’s center axis when he died. Tywin really tied the room together 

There is a scene or two during that arc where he’s cursing out other Lannisters for doing bad work. I think he had a real Teddy Roosevelt vibe to him and that’s why viewers, especially dudes, dug him so much. Ned too, now that I think about it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

You see him in the deleted scene fishing, getting his own dinner.   Or after he went hunting, talking to Jaime while skinning the animal he took down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU

I always loved that scene where he's skinning the deer. In hindsight a Lannister butchering a stag (Baratheon) was some awesome foreshadowing.

I remember an interview with Charles Dance from a while back where he explained that the deer was real and that he did that all in one take, despite having no experience and only being told how to do it by a butcher on set. Afterwards the cast and crew feasted on venison.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think Cleganebowl was always going to underwhelm simply because it was just gonna be two huge dudes brawling, which limited what they could do. They could have gone the hardcore route and given them a psycho twenty minute, multi-venue fight like an homage to The Quiet Man, or they could have gone for “poignant” and had the Hound, before their fight, perform a soliloquy about how long he’s wanted to kill the brother, but now he’s here and he’s tired, etc etc. Would have been a nice contrast with the carnage going on outside the walls. But, no.

Kinda nuts that they never thought to bring you on as a writer. 

• Haha 1

I could have saved this and also The Dark Knight trilogy 

It’s like what Joe Piscapo said in A Bronx Tale: “The saddest thing in life is not covering every single possible plot hole on a fantasy fiction television show.”

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t worry about plot holes. I’m a walking plot hole. And it’s “Piscopo.” How did you go to Rutgers and not know the proper spelling of New Jersey icon Joe Piscopo? 

Not all of us the natural talents of a scribe such as yourself, or the budding novelists that comprise this palaver. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

M&W and Peep show are so underrated 

i also enjoyed this moment

30ugku.jpg

Zombie Mountain giving Cersei the look of rage and then throwing the Hand down the stairs was epic. I quite enjoyed the fight. It wasn't perfect but something with that amount of buildup was never going to satisfy everyone. The Hound hating his brother more than fearing death by falling into fire was bizarrely inspiring. Rage is one hell of a drug.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Almost universally, though much of the commentary has been about Danaerys becoming crazy. Here’s a pretty common take today: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/game-of-thrones-review-bells-sepinwall-834528/

I guess I'm in the minority but everything has made sense to me just fine. I think the majority of the audience turned into what happened to Star Wars and comic book movie people; they define what the thing is supposed to be along the way, and if anything deviates from that definition along the way, the viewer winds up defaulting to watching everything with scrutiny from then on. The ability to enjoy it completely goes out the window and in 2019 it seems like the primary reason for watching comes to be so you can complain about it on the Internet after the fact.

That and what seems to be the ongoing theme is that most GoT viewers, which is pretty much everyone at this point, came to view themselves as a Shakespearean audience, forgetting that George RR Martin is not Shakespeare. He's not even Tolkien. If you want King Lear, read King Lear; but Martin's writing is sh*t too. We're essentially talking about Tom Clancy books as if they're comparable to Roberto Bolano. This show was always about dragons burning sh*t and quite frankly I'm glad it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All of this can be true, and it pretty much is, but in this case, the audience has invested eight years of their lives into this franchise and I think it’s ok to apply a high standard toward the payoff. I’m an overly critical douchebag so I always have to consciously dial back my expectations of these things, and I think some of the critiques have been too harsh. In this instance, however, I think we can all be grateful for what they’ve tried to do with this project and still wish elements of it were handled with more care down the stretch. We’ve watched some of these characters grow up, and now we’re watching them die. It’s ok to have a visceral response to the means by which they’re leaving the stage. 

Copy and paste this into any reaction to every popular show that ever ended except maybe Breaking Bad. David Chase got it right in hindsight. There is no satisfying people, best to black everything out and let armchair quarterbacks figure it out for themselves, essentially saying: “If you think you can do a better job, here’s your chance.”

23 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think that's a fair point in the big picture, and I'll admit I haven't hated it as much as I realize it's coming across here, mostly because of how easy it becomes to see, and join in pointing to, the stupidity many other people are talking about.  However, I think the one major difference-maker that is that Martin and the show writers have been looking to tell very different types of stories.

The feel of the show has changed since they ran out of Martin's stuff to piggyback off of, and it's no longer what a lot of people got hooked by to begin with.  Martin's deal was always that everything was about the people, and while there was tons of crazy sh*t going on around them, they were never really the primary focus, and mostly used as plot devices.  The show has definitely gone further in the opposite direction with each season, pushing through a particular character arc in 5 minutes so they can spend the next 40 on another battle, which is a big part of what plays into the dissatisfaction with many decisions made.

It feels exactly the same to me. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was definitely thinking of The Sopranos last night after watching that, and how pissed everyone was about it at the time. I’d imagine if I wrote a show that became a phenomenon like GoT, I’d probably be upset if a portion of the viewership didn’t freak out as it got closer to the end. Think of some shows that were huge for three seasons that people just gave up on altogether, like The Walking Dead. Ultimately, I think we’ll all remember GoT as being great, regardless of the sniping about the close 

I think BB is the only show that pulled it off because Gilligan is that good and the show takes place in a very short period of time. Every other popular show in history has ended this exact way. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

All it takes is to go back and watch any early season scene and you'd notice it's basically a different show. 

There’s a dude with jeans on in the pilot.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There is this blind faith among the book readers that GRRM's writing would have made it all better, but what if he didn't? There are plenty of 10 book series that suck by the end. 

This too. Even Asimov has some stinkers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

You're close. I don't think money is important to a man who dresses like grrm. But he started his series as a moderately successful author and ended it (TBD) as the greatest author of our generation.

This is the type of thing that people who don’t read books say. He’s nothing close to this. Martin is an extraordinarily successful serial novelist, and that’s fine. JK Rowling for adults. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Question about dragon physiology.

Can they just spit perpetual fire? Without eating a horse or a goat or something?

I know the episode only showed the dragon reigning fire for about 30 minutes but I’m guessing in real time it was about 2 hours to destroy the iron fleet, all the spear guns, the entire city and the Red Keep. 

Never saw the dragon stop for a snack. 

Dany had candies in her purse.

• Haha 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company