prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Dany will go crazy at some point in the books. 100%.

Kings Landing will get burned to the ground. 100%.

Whether they both happen like this I have no idea but her descent into madness will be much more fleshed out. It already is. Similar to how I feel about Stannis burning Shireen, it will happen in the books but will be much, much better executed.

Don't disagree at all, but at this point I think what you mentioned is about the beginning, middle, and end of what Martin has told them, and is what gets us what we have.  Martin has never given the tiniest flake of sh*t about action itself, but rather it's the story going on all around it.  HBO has gone in the opposite direction for the most part.

Now whether that's because he hasn't filled in the blanks yet himself, or thinks HBO can go screw themselves because he's saving his ideas for himself, I don't know.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you believe the white horse at the end was warging-Bran, then that’s kind of the stand-in for the scene you’re mentioning 

You mean Bran who they have completely turned into this Marvel character?  Not a bad theory, one I hadn't considered at the time, but even if he chose to get involved for a moment, is it to bring here where she needs to be, or just to help her get out of the city?  

Image result for the watcher marvel

Man, I'm about to go hypocrite here because I have been defending some of the stupidity in this show but my god, that was awful.  AWFUL.  Like, the worst.  I mean, fun to watch if you think watching a CGI dragon going around torching a city is cool but otherwise, I want punch the writers in the face to a bloody pulp.  Nothing made any sense, nothing adds up, just disgusted what they've done this season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Actually after watching Barry and letting it sink in. That was an awful installment. Like completely breaks several character archetypes and really underwhelms on story. Boo. 

Just let it be over.

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Also ...

1 dragon killed by 3 consecutive scorpion shots.

1 dragon destroys entire fleet of ships and castles with scorpions. Dodged every shot.

C’mon. Even though it’s fantasy it doesn’t have to be stupid writing.

Snow hides behind walls at Winterfell from the ice dragon.  Drogon destroy entire buildings with one shot of fire from his mouth.

It's beyond lazy at this point.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Don't disagree at all, but at this point I think what you mentioned is about the beginning, middle, and end of what Martin has told them, and is what gets us what we have.  Martin has never given the tiniest flake of sh*t about action itself, but rather it's the story going on all around it.  HBO has gone in the opposite direction for the most part.

Now whether that's because he hasn't filled in the blanks yet himself, or thinks HBO can go screw themselves because he's saving his ideas for himself, I don't know.

Yeah the genre has basically changed in the last two seasons. Any given Marvel movie would genuinely put more invest more in the narrative than what D&D have. They jumped the shark a while ago. When Davos said he thought Gendry would still be rowing he might as well have winked at the camera.

I don't think it's HBO. They would have loved to extend out this gravy train as far as possible and all the actors (except Stephen Dillane) seem to love being involved. I just don't think the showrunners are that invested. They adapted the series because of the Red Wedding - Beyond the Storm Of Swords material they just didn't care. Plus GRRM didn't exactly help by not giving them new material - As for his situation. He struggles to get the story for A to B without getting lost in another story. Always been his problem. ******* Mereen. 

Season 5 and Dorne was where the collapse started. It was pretty obvious at that point that the showrunners original work was going to be rough.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Snow hides behind walls at Winterfell from the ice dragon.  Drogon destroy entire buildings with one shot of fire from his mouth.

It's beyond lazy at this point.

That was more a problem with that episode than this one. Dragons are metaphorically nuclear weapons. This is what they're supposed to do.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You mean GRRM will do a little better than this?

Dany whines to Jon about how it was his fault Varys died while making cow eyes at him

Jon says "Eww...you're my aunt you crazy bitch"

Dany gets mad and burns a half-million people while completely ignoring the one woman she was actually there to kill

Jon walks around yelling pointlessly at soldiers who can't hear him over the dragon fire, screaming and buildings falling down

[Insert CGI of dragon shooting flame at everything]

Here was the cinematic inspiration for the entire episode for those of you who remember this classic flick:

The bold definitely annoyed the crap out of me.  It seemed so blatantly obvious that Daenerys's first move when she decided to ignore the bells would/should have been to head straight for the Red Keep.

But nope, she's going to ignore the entire reason she's actually there, and instead just actively focus her attention on those whose deaths really do the absolute least for her, because you know... INSAAAAANE!!!

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Man, I'm about to go hypocrite here because I have been defending some of the stupidity in this show but my god, that was awful.  AWFUL.  Like, the worst.  I mean, fun to watch if you think watching a CGI dragon going around torching a city is cool but otherwise, I want punch the writers in the face to a bloody pulp.  Nothing made any sense, nothing adds up, just disgusted what they've done this season.  

Welcome to the light.

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Visually stunning. The City burning is definitely from GRRM.

This season really should have been 10 episodes though. Dany's turn just felt way too rushed. Hilariously Emilia Clarke actually plays a pretty good paranoid psychopath - We really should have seen more of it. It's hilarious how every part of this story could have been improved with even small additions. Like they could have had the dragon be stationary when shot last week to make it a little less ridiculous that they can suddenly go stealth mode. 

Euron was ridiculous from start to finish since introducing his character. They really shouldn't have bothered adding him. 

Arya turning back would have been pretty good if she hadn't already devolved into what Sandor's telling her to run from. This is a girl who murdered people, carved up their corpses and baked them into pies for revenge. Now she sees the light? LMAO. Also if Bran wasn't warging that horse then just get the **** out of here.

Cleganebowl was so forced. That will not be in the books.

Jaime/Brienne stuff was so pointless with hindsight. Also him saying he doesn't care about the city he previously saved is just the worst line in the episode - He probably should have told people about the Wildfire too. I don't mind the death scene though, given the show wasn't really portraying Cersei as villainous or threatening at that point - It will be similar but different in the books. 

Tyrion really is the most incompetent guy in Westeros. Excellent judge of character he said. 

All in all the season has been a sloppy, sometimes nonsensical story producing some great moments. 

Well said.  I actually think this has been Clark's best season.  Her performance has been quite strong while I've always viewed her as the worst actor on the show.

Euron.  My gawd.  Terrible from start to finish.  Just such a pointless character.  He literally did nothing to add to the story, whatsoever.

I didnt hate the Cleganebowl.  It was always destined to be a let down.  I thought it was fun and I liked how they dove into the fire since that was the start of their hatred. 

The Varys killing was an atrocity.  One of the best character in the entire show and before you even knew what was happening and he had these little birds out there, he was getting executed for being right.  This dude has been playing the underground game for more rulers than anyone alive has scene only to get got by his best friend.  Really pissed how they sent him out. 

They better have a huge save for Tyrion because what they've done to him is awful.  

Just a weird flow to the episode, it started rushed and then went to a screeching halt and was almost too slow at the end. 

• Upvote 2

There is so much to hate about this episode's inconsistencies and fails that it would take me over an hour to categorize. I'm not wasting my time on this piece of sh*t episode. The beginning scenes of Varys, Tyrion, and Jaimie before he 'escaped' were the only things worth watching in this 80 minute installment, and those three combined for maybe 5 minutes total. Absolutely despicable.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I could have saved this and also The Dark Knight trilogy 

It’s like what Joe Piscapo said in A Bronx Tale: “The saddest thing in life is not covering every single possible plot hole on a fantasy fiction television show.”

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s like what Joe Piscapo said in A Bronx Tale: “The saddest thing in life is not covering every single possible plot hole on a fantasy fiction television show.”

I don’t worry about plot holes. I’m a walking plot hole. And it’s “Piscopo.” How did you go to Rutgers and not know the proper spelling of New Jersey icon Joe Piscopo? 

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Also ...

1 dragon killed by 3 consecutive scorpion shots.

1 dragon destroys entire fleet of ships and castles with scorpions. Dodged every shot.

C’mon. Even though it’s fantasy it doesn’t have to be stupid writing.

That was really, really bad.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well said.  I actually think this has been Clark's best season.  Her performance has been quite strong while I've always viewed her as the worst actor on the show.

Euron.  My gawd.  Terrible from start to finish.  Just such a pointless character.  He literally did nothing to add to the story, whatsoever.

I didnt hate the Cleganebowl.  It was always destined to be a let down.  I thought it was fun and I liked how they dove into the fire since that was the start of their hatred. 

The Varys killing was an atrocity.  One of the best character in the entire show and before you even knew what was happening and he had these little birds out there, he was getting executed for being right.  This dude has been playing the underground game for more rulers than anyone alive has scene only to get got by his best friend.  Really pissed how they sent him out. 

They better have a huge save for Tyrion because what they've done to him is awful.  

Just a weird flow to the episode, it started rushed and then went to a screeching halt and was almost too slow at the end. 

Euron's purpose was simply to come up with a way to get Cersei a fleet.  Everything else was a ridiculous waste of time.

The Varys killing is when I made my comment about Jon no longer having any redeeming qualities.  Jon stood there and just looked at him get executed because Varys simply made a statement of factual truth (that numerous others were talking about as well) that Jon was emo about.  There's a long list of things that could've gotten him killed for far better reason than that over the course of the series.  That also ties back to your point of them jumping between some things rushed, and others dragged out.  It could have made far more sense if there was more to it beyond him simply knowing about Jon for like 5 minutes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

Does anyone else really wish that Jorah was still alive for this episode? I think they could have brought that character full circle in an amazing way if they had left him alive to see to this. 

Starts as her assassin. Falls in love, devotes nearly the entire series to protecting her, helping her... And comes to see what she does and realize he should have killed her 5 seasons ago. 

Idk. That just really bothered me. For him to survive the series just to be one of the few token "importants" that get killed off in E4. If he could die in this episode, possibly helping people escape the woman he loves, after watching what she did... would have really enjoyed that.

Probably one of the most beautifully shot hour+ of TV or movie I've ever seen in my life. Completely justified the obscene bill for the new TV

If Jorah were still around, she'd have her home base and wouldn't have burned down the city. Jorah, Missandei and Jon all had to die or turn on her to justify her going mad.

I get that it feels rushed, but that was always to be expected with such little time left. I actually think D&D did a good job of showing her turning mad, I just felt like they could have executed the actual turn better. There was absolutely no reason for her to burn the city after hearing the bells (also, how did the civilians know that ringing the bells meant surrendering? I though only Tyrion, Jamie, Dany, and eventually Jon knew about that signal). The city and the people did nothing to her, and this is the place that she's grown power hungry to rule. That part made no sense. Personally, I would have liked to have seen her go directly for Cercei, burn her alive, take the throne, and then put on a witch hunt for people who believed Jon should be on the throne. I would have liked to have seen the isolation of not having Jorah & Missandei, and the insecurity of Jon's 'betrayal' exposed - as opposed to just rage...That would have been an actual turn to madness.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t worry about plot holes. I’m a walking plot hole. And it’s “Piscopo.” How did you go to Rutgers and not know the proper spelling of New Jersey icon Joe Piscopo? 

Not all of us the natural talents of a scribe such as yourself, or the budding novelists that comprise this palaver. 

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Arya turning back would have been pretty good if she hadn't already devolved into what Sandor's telling her to run from. This is a girl who murdered people, carved up their corpses and baked them into pies for revenge. Now she sees the light? LMAO. Also if Bran wasn't warging that horse then just get the **** out of here.

This is the part that bothers me most. And then she says, “Sandor...thank you”? What the **** was that? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Euron's purpose was simply to come up with a way to get Cersei a fleet.  Everything else was a ridiculous waste of time.

The Varys killing is when I made my comment about Jon no longer having any redeeming qualities.  Jon stood there and just looked at him get executed because Varys simply made a statement of factual truth (that numerous others were talking about as well) that Jon was emo about.  There's a long list of things that could've gotten him killed for far better reason than that over the course of the series.  That also ties back to your point of them jumping between some things rushed, and others dragged out.  It could have made far more sense if there was more to it beyond him simply knowing about Jon for like 5 minutes.

Jon is loyal and honorable to a fault, just like Ned.  His queen is Dany, and if she wants to burn Varys, that's her command.  

Vary's didn't die because he said Jon would be a better ruler to Tyrion.  He died because he was actively plotting to have her removed.

I need to watch it again, but i'm pretty sure that girl Vary's was talking to was trying to poison Dany for him, when she said "but she's not eating her meals"

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not all of us the natural talents of a scribe such as yourself, or the budding novelists that comprise this palaver. 

😂 efffff youuuuuuu

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

Jon is loyal and honorable to a fault, just like Ned.  His queen is Dany, and if she wants to burn Varys, that's her command.  

Vary's didn't die because he said Jon would be a better ruler to Tyrion.  He died because he was actively plotting to have her removed.

I need to watch it again, but i'm pretty sure that girl Vary's was talking to was trying to poison Dany for him, when she said "but she's not eating her meals"

Right before Varys dies he laments to Tyrion “I really hope I was wrong.”

He wasn’t. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the part that bothers me most. And then she says, “Sandor...thank you”? What the **** was that? 

I had a problem with it when Bran said it to Theon, but then Bran's a weirdo anyway so whatever. But saying that to Sandor was straight trash.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m actually now convinced they just had Arya there because the sight of two women destroying the city while two guys watch on in horror might have been a bad look lol. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, cbudiarjo said:

The bold is why he's pretty meaningless at this point, other than the fact that they're obviously going to try to turn it around, you know, now that he has no other choice.  However, that mindset is most certainly a level of "loyalty" Ned never would have had.  His issue was trying to help everyone, not do whatever one random idiot told him.  Let's not forget, this is the same Ned that was adamantly opposed to Robert's attempts to have Dany killed off, and tried to let Cersei escape her punishment.  Obviously neither turned out to be particularly good positions to take, but it certainly wasn't because of him being a mindless gofer to his king.

As far as Varys, that's my point of why that part, compared to other scenarios (e.g., 40 minutes of a dragon flying around), was unnecessarily rushed.  It would've made far more sense if they made an active point of that being the situation, as opposed to one vague reference of what might have been attempted that was in no way referenced in any decision.

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

q7wibxq6hwx21.png

M&W and Peep show are so underrated 

i also enjoyed this moment

30ugku.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

30ugku.jpg

Seriously...was I the only one having an Obi-Wan flashback?

Image result for star wars jedi mind trick

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If Jorah were still around, she'd have her home base and wouldn't have burned down the city. Jorah, Missandei and Jon all had to die or turn on her to justify her going mad.

I get that it feels rushed, but that was always to be expected with such little time left. I actually think D&D did a good job of showing her turning mad, I just felt like they could have executed the actual turn better. There was absolutely no reason for her to burn the city after hearing the bells (also, how did the civilians know that ringing the bells meant surrendering? I though only Tyrion, Jamie, Dany, and eventually Jon knew about that signal). The city and the people did nothing to her, and this is the place that she's grown power hungry to rule. That part made no sense. Personally, I would have liked to have seen her go directly for Cercei, burn her alive, take the throne, and then put on a witch hunt for people who believed Jon should be on the throne. I would have liked to have seen the isolation of not having Jorah & Missandei, and the insecurity of Jon's 'betrayal' exposed - as opposed to just rage...That would have been an actual turn to madness.

Fair point. You probably watched the recap after, but they were talking about that final break when she looked at the castle that was taken from her ancestors and it was within her reach. A little weak to me, but I guess I can see it. 

Edit - I get what you say about him possibly grounding her. But him dying the way he did I dont see as a pivotal occurance that would push her to end up your way she did. He died for her, not by Cersi. I could see that having some effect to reinforce what she was supposed to be. She loved him, he died for her. Do right by him, etc.

Honestly, at this point I'm almost hoping that she lives and takes/keeps the throne. That's a story I can get behind! An entire series dedicated to the notion of hope that the world can be a better place. Only to find out after all these years that it doesnt get better. It'll always be sh*t. Just with a different wacked blonde chick sitting on the uncomfortable chair. We dont get enough realistic endings in today's cinema, lol. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

30ugku.jpg

Zombie Mountain giving Cersei the look of rage and then throwing the Hand down the stairs was epic. I quite enjoyed the fight. It wasn't perfect but something with that amount of buildup was never going to satisfy everyone. The Hound hating his brother more than fearing death by falling into fire was bizarrely inspiring. Rage is one hell of a drug.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The bold is why he's pretty meaningless at this point, other than the fact that they're obviously going to try to turn it around, you know, now that he has no other choice.  However, that mindset is most certainly a level of "loyalty" Ned never would have had.  His issue was trying to help everyone, not do whatever one random idiot told him.  Let's not forget, this is the same Ned that was adamantly opposed to Robert's attempts to have Dany killed off, and tried to let Cersei escape her punishment.  Obviously neither turned out to be particularly good positions to take, but it certainly wasn't because of him being a mindless gofer to his king.

Ned would have executed them all in the name of Stannis Baratheon, first of his name,

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I wonder if the rest of society is sh*ting on HBO as much as this board has been.

Almost universally, though much of the commentary has been about Danaerys becoming crazy. Here’s a pretty common take today: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/game-of-thrones-review-bells-sepinwall-834528/

• Upvote 1

Did the white walkers seriously only exist as a story line this entire show to deplete their troops, which in the end, they didn't even end up needing to take the city? 

Really? Really, really?

Plot twist: Night King is "alive". Takes throne. Ends up being misunderstood, and a pretty good guy. Everyone lives happy, under the dead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Almost universally, though much of the commentary has been about Danaerys becoming crazy. Here’s a pretty common take today: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/game-of-thrones-review-bells-sepinwall-834528/

I guess I'm in the minority but everything has made sense to me just fine. I think the majority of the audience turned into what happened to Star Wars and comic book movie people; they define what the thing is supposed to be along the way, and if anything deviates from that definition along the way, the viewer winds up defaulting to watching everything with scrutiny from then on. The ability to enjoy it completely goes out the window and in 2019 it seems like the primary reason for watching comes to be so you can complain about it on the Internet after the fact.

That and what seems to be the ongoing theme is that most GoT viewers, which is pretty much everyone at this point, came to view themselves as a Shakespearean audience, forgetting that George RR Martin is not Shakespeare. He's not even Tolkien. If you want King Lear, read King Lear; but Martin's writing is sh*t too. We're essentially talking about Tom Clancy books as if they're comparable to Roberto Bolano. This show was always about dragons burning sh*t and quite frankly I'm glad it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1