prime21

GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Was telling someone today... They spent 6 seasons developing archetypes, and then completely colon blow-out shat all over them the past 2 seasons, but this one most gratuitously.

Jon Snow. He is loyal, yes. He knows nothing, yes. However, his most notable character trait is that he's righteous. He has systematically compromised righteousness over and over again for Dany. He didn't do it for Egrid. He didn't do it for the Black. They ruined everything they built in him by making him stand there idle, while Dany became a monster.

Arya. As great as the work they've done with her character has been, even that stupid season of faceless crap, they just completely abandoned everything she's about. I mean, right up until she tell's Gendry "that's not me" she was consistent. Then, last night she basically became a weak, unresourceful, clumsy and soft character. Thanking the Hound? C'mon.

Tyrion. Hasn't been Tyrion since he became the hand of the queen. I get him being wrong once, but the fact that they keep making him this ass of an advisor to her makes no sense at all. He was a master-manipulator for years. Now he's a pud? No. Not acceptable.

Cersei. Crying that she doesn't want to die? WTF. How ******* pathetic. Barking orders and having that goofy hand of hers tell her sh*ts already been destroyed like she isn't ahead of the information? No. No. No. The fact that Cersei had nothing up her sleeve at all? Nothing? No.

Varys. Good writers would have know to have Varys say, "I know." When Tyrion admitted it was him that betrayed him. Varys would have been way ahead of the game here. The fact that Dany inexplicably know all the dirt, and Varys and Tyrion were dults makes no sense at all.

I mean, this was just off-the-top of my head. The great shows are the ones that declare the archetypes of the people involved in the story and stay true to those archetypes. Case in point: Walter White. The entire character, and thus the story and all of its details, are centered around the notion that he is an Enneagram 1.

Would agree with all but this.She is gonna kill a tyrant queen, just not the one you thought. Bit of foreshadow;she escapes the Apocalpyse on a White Horse of Death like something out of Revelation. 

Found  the harkening to 9/11-fire from above, dust, crowds running and crushing each other, building collapses-unnerving. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

The Hound could care less about whether Cersei lived or died.

So he cared a little? 😁

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

What a stupid argument re. GRRM.

Writing is subjective. No one would argue Martin's anything but sloppy. But within the Fantasy genre he's a great and his early ASOIAF are widely considered among the greatest fantasy works of all time.

He's not even really comparable to Tolkien stylistically. Tolkien is the better writer, Martin the better world builder. The characters and world he has created in ASOIAF are timeless - Relateable, flawed, complex. He's incredibly adept at bringing across their emotions and internal conflict to the reader and keeps the series grounded in reality despite the fantasy elements - The historical parallels and real life themes hit home hard. 

Whatever pretentious stance you want to take on reading you can only measure a fictional book's quality by the impact they have on the reader - And there's not a lot of books that tie you up emotionally like ASOIAF does. It hasn't become a global phenomenon for nothing - If any fictional world could be so endearing then you'd see a lot more of them. 

If you're so keen on historical parallels, the idea of a colonizer promising to bring liberation and completely going off the rails should be way more appealing to you than it is.

You're a fan, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get all butthurt. I love The Three Body Problem and the Broken Earth series and hold them dear but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like it's Voltaire.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gif

Am I the only one who thinks the actor who plays Davos was cast with the sole instruction "Get us Sean Connery"?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I think the best fall out from that episode is the idiocy some parents must feel for naming their daughter Daenerys or Dany or Khaleesi thinking they were giving such child the name of a strong  noble caring feminist leader of people. 

But instead got a rage filled sociopathic mass murder bent on power and revenge. 

Read somewhere that since 2011 there are over 3600 kids given variations of those names.

So stupid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think the best fall out from that episode is the idiocy some parents must feel for naming their daughter Daenerys or Dany or Khaleesi thinking they were giving such child the name of a strong  noble caring feminist leader of people. 

But instead got a rage filled sociopathic mass murder bent on power and revenge. 

Read somewhere that since 2011 there are over 3600 kids given variations of those names.

So stupid. 

Tell me about it. I named my kid Oberyn.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If you're so keen on historical parallels, the idea of a colonizer promising to bring liberation and completely going off the rails should be way more appealing to you than it is.

You're a fan, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get all butthurt. I love The Three Body Problem and the Broken Earth series and hold them dear but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like it's Voltaire.

Butthurt. LOL.

Glad I have your approval captain.

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

These are my twins, Joffrey and Ramsey.  They're pretty much assholes.

And over here's their little brother, Grey Worm.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

These are my twins, Joffrey and Ramsey.  They're pretty much assholes.

And over here's their little brother, Grey Worm.  

There's a good Meryn Trant joke to be had here but that may be going too far.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Please. Little Snoke is still mad at me. 

On 5/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, T0mShane said:

Here’s an amazing thread/discussion about GoT and the process behind it: 

Thanks for sharing. That was a good read. 

Why the rush, though? This show is so incredibly complex. Why just 13 episodes to complete it? Why a 6 episode season? Has anyone read or heard the actual answer to this question anywhere? Is it purely financial? The writers honestly think they couldnt have done better? You end this show with two full length seasons that gives the many complex plot points and character arcs their room, I truly believe they would have a much better product. 

• Upvote 1

Wholly unsatisfying episode.  They spent years demonstrating Danys humanity and mercy only to make her a homicidal cunk because her assistant was killed and people were gossiping about her.

Cersi and Jamies demise was a joke..

They spent 2 seasons setting up Aryas faceless man powers only to have her kill the NK as herself and stroll into Kings Landing as herself..  what was the point of all the tortuous training???  The only way it makes sense is if she kills Dany disguised as Jon or Grey Worm.

Where was Brieanne this episode?  Her killing Cersi while her and Jamie embraced would certainly have gotten a "OH SH-T" reaction.  The way Cersi met her demise after making such stupid decisions the last 2 seasons felt decidedly meh.

Not sure how the finale makes up for this..  actually one thing that would be cool is if Ayra killed the last dragon using her supposed faceless powers disguised as Dany.. 

Having Dany get the throne would be weak...  Having Jon get it at this point seems too cookie-cutter...  Where's Sansa??

The whole thing is kind of a mess largely due to trying to cram the ending of what had been a slowly moving story line into 6 episodes.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

John SNow.jpg

Dos Equis should have Emilia Clark do a commercial.  "I don't always have bad PMS, but when I do..."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

What a stupid argument re. GRRM.

Writing is subjective. No one would argue Martin's anything but sloppy. But within the Fantasy genre he's a great and his early ASOIAF are widely considered among the greatest fantasy works of all time.

He's not even really comparable to Tolkien stylistically. Tolkien is the better writer, Martin the better world builder. The characters and world he has created in ASOIAF are timeless - Relateable, flawed, complex. He's incredibly adept at bringing across their emotions and internal conflict to the reader and keeps the series grounded in reality despite the fantasy elements - The historical parallels and real life themes hit home hard. 

Whatever pretentious stance you want to take on reading you can only measure a fictional book's quality by the impact they have on the reader - And there's not a lot of books that tie you up emotionally like ASOIAF does. It hasn't become a global phenomenon for nothing - If any fictional world could be so endearing then you'd see a lot more of them. 

Thinks about how much time was spent on the Dorne, Iron Islands, and High Speton plotlines that tge showrunners thought were goung somewhere, and probably had Martin telling them, "I'm getting to it, trust me", just to have him basically forget where he was going....That's a season and a half wasted on crap that was superfluous to the central story that they had to recover from, close out, and get to the actual central plot lines and ending. They probably got tired of chasing leads, writing GRRM story for him, and said, screw it. Gives us a couple of seasons to wrap this up so we can get to our Knights of the Old Republic trilogy. Man, I hope they use some of the talent from GOT, so many great actors...

But yeah, of COURSE the story got off track, rushed, and a bit incongruous. George stopped writing the damn story, and while its easy to fake it for a bit, its impossible to perfectly mimic tone and style and the way a different writers mind works. John Gardner wrote decent James Bond books....but he wasn't Flemming. Whatever. We'll always have the brilliance of seasons 1-4.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Aikido? Have fun trying to defend an uchi mata with a ******* wrist lock. 

In my life I've engaged in the following contact activities with some competence:  

Football - Peewee through Div 3 College, offensive line

Wrestling (4 years HS, heavyweight punching bag...) 

Lacrosse - Crease defense 4 years 2x suffolk class C champs 

Rugby - Prop - 1 year in Wales, 2 years College, 2 years club in Philadelphia

Boxing training - two years because why not 

believe it or not, I'm pretty good with mashing. Delivering hits, taking hits, that's my wheelhouse

With aikido, I'm trying to learn how not to get hit 

but that's you're response? there's 157 books there, what's the last thing you read, smart guy, a bazooka joe wrapper? 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

In my life I've engaged in the following contact activities with some competence:  

believe it or not, I'm pretty good with mashing. Delivering hits, taking hits, that's my wheelhouse

but that's you're response? there's 157 books there, what's the last thing you read, smart guy, a bazooka joe wrapper? 

Eat Pray Love

^which, by the way, based on the standards that you jagaloons have laid out for great literature because apparently writing is so ******* subjective, is now apparently one of the towering literary achievements of the last thousand years. 

18 hours ago, bitonti said:

Now I'm having flashbacks to that old thread on the Landingstrip.  Oh god...somebody help me out, I'm way too old now and have burned too many brain cells.   The one where the guy posted something about his fists or how much he bench presses or his fighting ability....god...it was a classic....

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

lol ghey

The characters and world created in EPL are timeless - Relateable, flawed, complex. She's incredibly adept at bringing across her emotions and internal conflict to the reader and she keeps the series grounded in reality despite the fantasy elements - The historical parallels and real life themes hit home hard. 

Whatever pretentious stance you want to take on reading you can only measure a memoir's quality by the impact they have on the reader - And there's not a lot of books that tie you up emotionally like EPL does. It hasn't become a global phenomenon for nothing - If any fictional world could be so endearing then you'd see a lot more of them.  

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The characters and world created in EPL are timeless - Relateable, flawed, complex. She's incredibly adept at bringing across her emotions and internal conflict to the reader and she keeps the series grounded in reality despite the fantasy elements - The historical parallels and real life themes hit home hard. 

Whatever pretentious stance you want to take on reading you can only measure a memoir's quality by the impact they have on the reader - And there's not a lot of books that tie you up emotionally like EPL does. It hasn't become a global phenomenon for nothing - If any fictional world could be so endearing then you'd see a lot more of them.  

You little rascal.

6 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Now I'm having flashbacks to that old thread on the Landingstrip.  Oh god...somebody help me out, I'm way too old now and have burned too many brain cells.   The one where the guy posted something about his fists or how much he bench presses or his fighting ability....god...it was a classic....

Can you take a Powershot? From Borgoguy? Can ya? Huh?

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2019 at 8:03 AM, IndianaJet said:

that was every thread on the landingstrip 

it sounded like a  brag but the truth is i really like aikido and think people should try it out before they bash it 

life is not lived in a caged octogon 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

that was every thread on the landingstrip 

it sounded like a  brag but the truth is i really like aikido and think people should try it out before they bash it 

life is not lived in a caged octogon 

Aikido sucks bit. 

Except the wrist locks. Those are legit AF. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Aikido sucks bit. 

Except the wrist locks. Those are legit AF. 

what do you call the troll who trolls the troll? 

the uber troll? that's you RJF 

here's my pitch for aikido in a world where everyone has a camera, everything is on tape and everyone is looking for someone to sue, being able to subdue someone with a non-fighting art has more value than it used to. 

It's just not feasible to walk around shouting "TIGER STYLE" at everyone, and flexing your hands like a cat, even though it's undoubtedly cooler 

I also had a book about dog breeding on there let me guess you hate dogs too? 

back to the message at hand you said I read dumb books i'd like to see your list of recent reading

not including your phone while on the toilet 

but sharing information isn't cool then you might get trolled

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what do you call the troll who trolls the troll? 

the uber troll? that's you RJF 

here's my pitch for aikido in a world where everyone has a camera, everything is on tape and everyone is looking for someone to sue, being able to subdue someone with a non-fighting art has more value than it used to. 

It's just not feasible to walk around shouting "TIGER STYLE" at everyone, and flexing your hands like a cat, even though it's undoubtedly cooler 

I also had a book about dog breeding on there let me guess you hate dogs too? 

back to the message at hand you said I read dumb books i'd like to see your list of recent reading

not including your phone while on the toilet 

but sharing information isn't cool then you might get trolled

Thank you, I do what I can.

Nobody does kung fu anymore either. MMA weeded a lot of this sh*t out. If you want to learn how to solve things nonviolently go take a jiu jitsu class. There's a reason why every viral video of an aikido dude is pretty much him getting mauled. There's a very recent one where an aikido black belt decided to throw down an old school Gracie challenge at a BJJ gym and it went horribly for him.

Oh fine. So far as books it's a bunch of academic stuff you've likely never heard of (I mean that in a good way) and I wouldn't bore you with. The most readable ones for the outside world would probably be The Panic of 1819 by Andrew Browning and Water Politics by David Feldman. I haven't had a ton of time for fiction recently but I think the last one was the last book of Jemison's Broken Earth trilogy. I have been dying to read New York 2140 as I am a big Kim Stanley Robinson fan so whenever I get the chance that's on deck, but my teaching and publication load has been absurd the past year so who knows when I'll have the time to dig into that. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead is probably on that list too.

There's nothing wrong with dumb books by the way. Hey if you're reading that's great and have at it. But I do think people way overblow the books they enjoy and rely on the "global phenomenon" success aspect as validation that they are reading something profound. I think The Da Vinci Code and the Harry Potter books are the best selling books of our lifetimes. Just calm down with the hyperbole, is my point. There's a reason none of these books win Pulitzers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There's a very recent one where an aikido black belt decided to throw down an old school Gracie challenge at a BJJ gym and it went horribly for him.

just cause a dude purchased a black belt on the internet doesn't make them a black belt. Those videos are trash, but thanks for bringing them up. Uber troll

The thing about BJJ that I hate is everyone going to their back. who thinks like that? 

there's a fight breaking out you know what, **** it let's try missionary position.  

Kim Stanley Robinson is awesome I prefer his Shaman type stuff to 2140