GAME OF THRONES (*SPOILERS ALERT*)

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You know, after book 3, they aren't that good.  Too long, with editing needing to be done.

Also, the new King of the Iron Islands, there has to be more to him.  No way he just shows up with a fleet and she marries him.  No way he can fight the dragons, 3 fire breathing dragons will lay waste to a wooden fleet. 

There's not more to him, he really is that. Yara's going to steal his general idea, become Danys' navy, and he will be a minor roadblock in their path once that happens.*

*I'm talking out of my ass but makes sense to me

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just caught this week's. Man, it's getting a little dusty up in here. Somebody hold the door for me.

Man, that was sad.   His whole life ruined so he could hold a door open and die a horrible death.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Man, that was sad.   His whole life ruined so he could hold a door open and die a horrible death.

If you look at ASOIAF/GOT as being an interpretation of history that pretty much sums up how the lower classes were used by the nobility through the Dark/Middle Ages. Its no mistake Bran is noble by birth.

32 minutes ago, PLO said:

If you look at ASOIAF/GOT as being an interpretation of history that pretty much sums up how the lower classes were used by the nobility through the Dark/Middle Ages. Its no mistake Bran is noble by birth.

Oh, totally.

One of my favorite lines, is when Sir Friend Zone tell khaleesi something to the effect of "the common people pray for enough rain, enough food and peace, and rarely are granted that".  You know who would have been a great ruler?  Tywin.  What happens when he rules?  Peace, prosperity, minimizes destruction by being utterly ruthless.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

IMDB has gone ahead and solved the mystery of the name of last night's heroine...Eline Powell as Bianca, the jealous theatre troupe actress playing Sansa. Arya will kill her soon.

I think Arya is supposed to kill the actress playing Cersei.

3 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

hodor. i loved the episode i just hope time travel is not a reacouring thing.

There's a theory that all the Brans through Westerosi history (Bran the Builder who built the wall etc) are the same Bran, son of Ned Stark. Also GRR Martin's background is actually in sci-fi writing; Preston Jacobs mentioned above is a big proponent of the idea that there is no actual magic in this world and that everything is all explainable by science; that, for example, the "long winter" is likely some sort of nuclear holocaust, which sort of fits this recent episode where the Others are shown to be a weapon of mass destruction created by the Children of the Forest, and thus the bringers of the long winter. GRR Martin is overtly anti-war in his writing because of his experience during the Vietnam War as a conscientious objector; he's also an athiest, which will probably impact the ending of the story where the "chosen one" will win this apocalyptic battle probably isn't going to happen, but I guess that's conjecture at this stage.

6 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

hodor. i loved the episode i just hope time travel is not a reacouring thing.

I have a feeling it will be. And quite honestly I like it. I love the fact to be able to go back and see the events that transpired in the past that they've talked about.

I have a feeling they will be flashing back to Jamie killing the Mad King as well as other events. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2016 at 11:59 AM, SenorGato said:

Missandei and discount Rachel Weisz (new red priestess) have something to say about this.

-----

So like....once Hodor died and the door no longer held, what is stopping Bran and Meera from being laid to waste? Is the Wall coming down and the Night's Watch about to get decimated?

Uncle Benjen. 

• Upvote 3

Amazing episode, one of the best in a while. I think it's shaping up pretty well that Bran is the "Winds of Winter." Wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the 3ER. Arya is undoubtedly going to leave her weird little dojo, as it's clear she's becoming disenchanted with the many-faced god and a girl still cares about her family. 

13 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Amazing episode, one of the best in a while. I think it's shaping up pretty well that Bran is the "Winds of Winter." Wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the 3ER. Arya is undoubtedly going to leave her weird little dojo, as it's clear she's becoming disenchanted with the many-faced god and a girl still cares about her family. 

The Arya storyline went from one of the best to one of the worst in a matter of these past two seasons. I can't wait till she's rid of this no-one crap and goes and unearths her needle and sticks it to one of her enemies. 

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Also, I realized why I enjoyed "The Door" so much more than any of the other amazing episodes this season (to be fair, this has been a topnotch season so far): No wasted minutes this week on the absurdly boring and stupid Westeros storyline. 

This was my problem with season 5. I'm sure it will all come together in the end, but S5 was nothing but setup episodes, week after week. It got old and boring and if they had continued that way I was honestly considering quitting on the show until Hardhome hit.

This season though, just wow. I think it's the best the show has ever been. Every scene, every week has something emotional or action packed. The past several episodes have been an incredibly written narrative arc, moving things forward with so much entertainment in every episode. It's really as good as television can get. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This was my problem with season 5. I'm sure it will all come together in the end, but S5 was nothing but setup episodes, week after week. It got old and boring and if they had continued that way I was honestly considering quitting on the show until Hardhome hit.

This season though, just wow. I think it's the best the show has ever been. Every scene, every week has something emotional or action packed. The past several episodes have been an incredibly written narrative arc, moving things forward with so much entertainment in every episode. It's really as good as television can get. 

I don't know that there has been one wasted scene this whole season. 

The Hodor scene was just the latest.  So good, the kid convulsing, while adult Hodor sacrificing himself to save them.  Question, if "Marking" Bran allowed the White Walkers to penetrate those defenses, what if they don't want to catch him?  What happens if they drive him back under the wall?  Can they then go back under the wall as well?

I also love how the show is done point of view.  Because it's not black and white.   Tywin wasn't evil, he was looking out for his family.   Even the white walkers, they were magically captured and changed into what they are now.   Of course they want revenge and to take over and spread.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't know that there has been one wasted scene this whole season. 

The Hodor scene was just the latest.  So good, the kid convulsing, while adult Hodor sacrificing himself to save them.  Question, if "Marking" Bran allowed the White Walkers to penetrate those defenses, what if they don't want to catch him?  What happens if they drive him back under the wall?  Can they then go back under the wall as well?

I also love how the show is done point of view.  Because it's not black and white.   Tywin wasn't evil, he was looking out for his family.   Even the white walkers, they were magically captured and changed into what they are now.   Of course they want revenge and to take over and spread.

That's pretty much exactly how RR Martin writes. He's been quoted many times saying that no one but Tolkien could write black and white, good vs evil without sounding cheesy and cliche. The storyline has repeatedly shown that even the most evil/ruthless people have done things for their loved ones etc. Except Ollie. That little f*cker deserves everything he got.

All kidding aside, there definitely won't be a one side vs the other battle with a clear cut victory. It'll be like kingdom of heaven where one side just gives in for his people:  Jon Snow/Targaeryn will marry some white walker's princess to keep the peace, after everyone you love is already dead, or something like that. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

That's pretty much exactly how RR Martin writes. He's been quoted many times saying that no one but Tolkien could write black and white, good vs evil without sounding cheesy and cliche. The storyline has repeatedly shown that even the most evil/ruthless people have done things for their loved ones etc. Except Ollie. That little f*cker deserves everything he got.

All kidding aside, there definitely won't be a one side vs the other battle with a clear cut victory. It'll be like kingdom of heaven where one side just gives in for his people:  Jon Snow/Targaeryn will marry some white walker's princess to keep the peace, after everyone you love is already dead, or something like that. 

I think it'll also end, where a few of the defeated side escape, showing how it starts all over again.  That nothing ever ends.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think it'll also end, where a few of the defeated side escape, showing how it starts all over again.  That nothing ever ends.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to see some happy ending riding off into the sunset sht. It will be a messy limping into the birthing of our current oligarchy platform or something like that. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, chirorob said:

20 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

7 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect to see some happy ending riding off into the sunset sht. It will be a messy limping into the birthing of our current oligarchy platform or something like that. 

Great stuff, fellas!

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

WHo saw tonight?

That dragon is HUGE

Yeah he was looking pretty menacing. 

That Mad King stuff was awesome to get a glimpse of. That's gonna be very cool to see. And Walder Frey is back. Good times. 

A girl may be in some deep shlt now too. Things are really moving along quickly now. I think they are just gonna finish the story and that's that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Yeah he was looking pretty menacing. 

That Mad King stuff was awesome to get a glimpse of. That's gonna be very cool to see. And Walder Frey is back. Good times. 

A girl may be in some deep shlt now too. Things are really moving along quickly now. I think they are just gonna finish the story and that's that. 

I loved that mad kind.   I never really pictured him in my head like that, more of a higher, crazy voice.   I like their version better.

And Uncle Ben is back!

I was not feeling the end of the episode with a bunch, by that I mean maybe 25, of fat Dothraki dads on horses. Dany's so the villain in all this. 1,000 (WINK WINK) ships bringing Dothraki to Westeros with her dragons? They've done way more raping, pillaging, and brought more general destructiom than the Others have!

36 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I was not feeling the end of the episode with a bunch, by that I mean maybe 25, of fat Dothraki dads on horses. Dany's so the villain in all this. 1,000 (WINK WINK) ships bringing Dothraki to Westeros with her dragons? They've done way more raping, pillaging, and brought more general destructiom than the Others have!

I've been arguing this with my friends.

The Dothraki don't fit there.   She wins the throne, great.  They burn half of the towns of Westeros in the process.  After she wins, then what?  They'll just sit around?  No, they will keep pillaging the locals, destroying everything they find.  Plus, they are used to the dessert, they don't even own shirts.  What are they going to do when the long winter comes?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

I've been arguing this with my friends.

The Dothraki don't fit there.   She wins the throne, great.  They burn half of the towns of Westeros in the process.  After she wins, then what?  They'll just sit around?  No, they will keep pillaging the locals, destroying everything they find.  Plus, they are used to the dessert, they don't even own shirts.  What are they going to do when the long winter comes?

Go hit up some of that good Dorne pusey  

9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Yeah that was not nearly enough Dothrakis there. 

And she's starting to get a bit tyrant-ish. 

Thoughts on last nights episode?

-CleganeBowl is still going to be a thing

-Anyone else think that wasn't Arya that got stabbed? 

-Lady Olenna better get the **** out of Dodge.

-The Stark army is looking pretty thin at this point, The Starks can't very well go near Riverrun to meet up with the Blackfish while it is surrounded by Lannister troops.I wonder if Sansa turns to Littlefinger and the Eyrie for much needed troops. Also if they are camping out where Stannis made camp, only a matter of time before Davos finds out what happened to Shireen :( 

-Lyanna Mormont nailed that ******* scene

-There is going to be lots of deaths next week!

Edit: There is evidence to support that Lady Stoneheart joins the fray

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-theory-proves-lady-stoneheart-is-coming-to-game-of-thrones_us_574dc491e4b02912b240e15e

• Upvote 2