What players will have issues adjusting to new tough discipline from Bowles (and not Rex's Country Club)?

SouthernJet

Is Bowles really a "tough disciplinarian"?  Strikes me as just more of a realist and a football coach.  Obviously I have no idea what he's like when the pads are on at practice, but in pressers he's such a laid back, affable guy.

lets just say this,,i've seen several clips of Bowles reading riot act to player on sideline immediuately after a dumb play..

Rex NEVER did this and I think its a good thing players know rath of God is awaiting thing for dumb stuff like forgetting snap counts, flagrant roughing etc that can swing a game..

thats just my opinion of course.. :)

lets just say this,,i've seen several clips of Bowles reading riot act to player on sideline immediuately after a dumb play..

Rex NEVER did this and I think its a good thing players know rath of God is awaiting thing for dumb stuff like forgetting snap counts, flagrant roughing etc that can swing a game..

thats just my opinion of course.. :)

Nice, can you post them?

Nice, can you post them?

No, I saw on ESPN/NFL Network when Bowles was hired,,showed lots clips of him as Zona's DC.... they were several in there,,,taking headset off , chewing player out,,announcers said 'not afraid to get in players face, but generally considered a players coach'

My only problem with Rex as far as accountability was he wouldn't bench players who clearly stunk. The Eric Smiths and Mark Sanchez's and that player who muffed like 3 punts in the broncos game last year. Rex It's ok to bench Eric Smith after he's given up a 4th TD to a mediocre tight end.

What nonsense is this?  Who did they "weed out"?  They resigned Colon who was probably the biggest offender.  Hopefully he won't start.  Ed Reed *may* have slowed Allen's development, but rightly or wrongly, he was credited with being a great influence on Milliner.

Love the honeymoon period.  Hard-assed disciplinarian player's coach?  That is like the elusive possession burner.  Everything new is good!  Everything old is bad!

If only it were so black and white.

The most poignant 2 things that Bowles has said, imo, have been that he will take the time to "learn each player" and that everyone will be accountable to each other.

To me, this isn't just "Rex was a players coach, now we have a discipline guy, yay!"

This shows me that Bowles understands the value of having an approach to each individual, which is the true mark of a player's coach. Too many times fans equate "lack of discipline" with "players coach". I don't think that's true. I think lack of discipline and accountability comes from an undisciplined person, whether they cater to players or not.

Sowing the seeds of accountability to each other makes it about more than just a room full of individuals. It makes it about a bond for the team. It also implies Bowles will be accountable for what he does and says to the players, and the players need to be accountable to him. Rex broke this paradigm by doing and saying things that weren't accountable to his players regularly.

In the end, I just think Bowles exhibits more traits that you'd expect in a head coach. Which is refreshing, so hopefully that ends up being the case.

If only it were so black and white.

The most poignant 2 things that Bowles has said, imo, have been that he will take the time to "learn each player" and that everyone will be accountable to each other.

To me, this isn't just "Rex was a players coach, now we have a discipline guy, yay!"

This shows me that Bowles understands the value of having an approach to each individual, which is the true mark of a player's coach. Too many times fans equate "lack of discipline" with "players coach". I don't think that's true. I think lack of discipline and accountability comes from an undisciplined person, whether they cater to players or not.

Sowing the seeds of accountability to each other makes it about more than just a room full of individuals. It makes it about a bond for the team. It also implies Bowles will be accountable for what he does and says to the players, and the players need to be accountable to him. Rex broke this paradigm by doing and saying things that weren't accountable to his players regularly.

In the end, I just think Bowles exhibits more traits that you'd expect in a head coach. Which is refreshing, so hopefully that ends up being the case.

Fair enough, but..

1. Says the right things

2. ?

People are acting like we have more than that already.  Like oooh, there is a new sheriff in town. Everybody is going to straighten up and fly right.

Fair enough, but..

1. Says the right things

2. ?

People are acting like we have more than that already.  Like oooh, there is a new sheriff in town. Everybody is going to straighten up and fly right.

People thirst for polarization. I can't offer you an explanation for this. I think it's stupid.

My only problem with Rex as far as accountability was he wouldn't bench players who clearly stunk. The Eric Smiths and Mark Sanchez's and that player who muffed like 3 punts in the broncos game last year. Rex It's ok to bench Eric Smith after he's given up a 4th TD to a mediocre tight end.

Eric Smith hasn't played a game for the Jets since 2011..LOL

People thirst for polarization. I can't offer you an explanation for this. I think it's stupid.

True, but in this case I think that Bowles is clearly an improvement already over Rex.  It's not like Rex won anything here (0 AFC East titles, 0 Championships, 0 Super Bowl appearances), and he let the organization slip further and further into disarray as his tenure went on.  So, all Bowles has to do is reign everything in and run the Jets in a professional manner, and it's pretty clear that he will, and he's already succeeded more than Rex did in my book.  

True, but in this case I think that Bowles is clearly an improvement already over Rex.  It's not like Rex won anything here (0 AFC East titles, 0 Championships, 0 Super Bowl appearances), and he let the organization slip further and further into disarray as his tenure went on.  So, all Bowles has to do is reign everything in and run the Jets in a professional manner, and it's pretty clear that he will, and he's already succeeded more than Rex did in my book.  

Because Bowles has won many AFC East titles? How many Championships?  How many Super Bowl appearances?  I like Bowles and everything he has said so far, but he has never even been a coordinator on a team that won a division.   Or a playoff game.  Can he actually do something before we start spouting off?

Because Bowles has won many AFC East titles? How many Championships?  How many Super Bowl appearances?  I like Bowles and everything he has said so far, but he has never even been a coordinator on a team that won a division.   Or a playoff game.  Can he actually do something before we start spouting off?

It's not really spouting off, IMO, to say that he's better than Rex.  That's a low bar to clear, to be honest.

Will Bowles be a great HC?  I have no idea.  He seems to have the ability to be, but you never know.  But, we haven't actually had a HC in the proper sense of the word for the past six seasons, since Rex was essentially just a DC and only focused on the defense.  So, all he has to do is clear that very low bar and he's an improvement.  He's got a lot of work to do and a lot to prove before we start mentioning him in the same sentence as the good HCs in the game, though.

He also doesn't need to win anything to be more successful than Rex.  Simply reigning in the franchise towards something that resembles a professional outfit would make him more successful than Rex.  Again, a very low bar to clear.

Every ******* thread the same bullsh*t.  Todd Bowles has coached in the NFL for 15 years.  The teams he has worked on are 0-4 in the playoffs.  Rex was a glorified DC and he did better than that.  I am hopeful that Bowles can marry the x's and o's on D with an organization and structure that can be successful, but he hasn't done sh*t and I am not sitting here and listening to how your Pop Warner coach would do better than we've done the past six years. 

I doi

Every ******* thread the same bullsh*t.  Todd Bowles has coached in the NFL for 15 years.  The teams he has worked on are 0-4 in the playoffs.  Rex was a glorified DC and he did better than that.  I am hopeful that Bowles can marry the x's and o's on D with an organization and structure that can be successful, but he hasn't done sh*t and I am not sitting here and listening to how your Pop Warner coach would do better than we've done the past six years. 

I didn't think this thread was about coaching ability of XsOs but the ability to have discipline/being able to say NO to Vets etc in your skill-set..

did it go off-course?

I doi

I didn't think this thread was about coaching ability of XsOs but the ability to have discipline/being able to say NO to Vets etc in your skill-set..

did it go off-course?

It always goes off course because it always boils down to anything is better than Rex.

I don't know what Bowles will be like.  You say you saw him bawling out players on the sidelines, but I'm not sure what the amounts to in the grand scheme of things.  Whatever he does, I hope that it works.  Some here have pointed out that you can often have success going from a taskmaster to a disciplinarian and vice versa.  May have explained some of the initial success getting away from Mangini, but IMO we have no idea what Bowles will do other than some meaningless sound bites.

All Bowles has done is give press conferences, so if you want to make the argument that Bowles is an improvement over Rex at the podium, that's fine. I have ZERO bias favoring Rex, but as of now all we're comparing is the idea of Bowles being what Rex wasn't. Until we ACTUALLY see it, it's nothing but hope and hypothesis.

All Bowles has done is give press conferences, so if you want to make the argument that Bowles is an improvement over Rex at the podium, that's fine. I have ZERO bias favoring Rex, but as of now all we're comparing is the idea of Bowles being what Rex wasn't. Until we ACTUALLY see it, it's nothing but hope and hypothesis.

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on this.  Bowles has brought some semblance of professionalism back to the franchise.  That counts for more than his manner at the podium as far as I'm concerned.

We'll have to respectfully agree to disagree on this.  Bowles has brought some semblance of professionalism back to the franchise.  That counts for more than his manner at the podium as far as I'm concerned.

He imparted the air of professionalism to the fanbase in introductory press conferences and interviews... in other words, at the podium.

Everything we as a fan base have extrapolated from his demeanor in interviews is hypothesis, or speculation, driven by what we've heard about how he has been in previous jobs, the impression he's made in speaking engagement since being hired, and wishful thinking that the traits he has shown are those that augment everything Rex brought to the table.

It still remains to be see if the perception of Bowles translates to an equal reality. We'll know who he is when he starts playing games, we'll really know who he is when he runs into adversity.

He imparted the air of professionalism to the fanbase in introductory press conferences and interviews... in other words, at the podium.

Everything we as a fan base have extrapolated from his demeanor in interviews is hypothesis, or speculation, driven by what we've heard about how he has been in previous jobs, the impression he's made in speaking engagement since being hired, and wishful thinking that the traits he has shown are those that augment everything Rex brought to the table.

It still remains to be see if the perception of Bowles translates to an equal reality. We'll know who he is when he starts playing games, we'll really know who he is when he runs into adversity.

He's also imparted that air of professionalism to the team, based on what they've said to the media.  To be honest, even with a coach who has been there for a while, all that we really know about the kind of atmosphere that is created by the HC is what we hear about at the various "podiums" that come along.  Pretty much everything else is guesswork, even as far as Rex is concerned, because none of us were there.  But, we do know that Bowles is preaching accountability, as the players have come out and said that, whereas they've admitted on multiple occasions that this wasn't the case under Rex.

Archived