Calling it now

jgb

Temper, temper. Those awaiting the next Messiah since Joe Willy need to appreciate that having a competent "above-average bandaid" sure beats suffering a continuous string of atrocious never-was players at the position. No one is saying he is a long term answer, but he is a guy that can develop the skill players until the Anointed One finally arrives. He is John the Baptist, not Jesus.

The dude made an excellent point. It's not his fault that you seem to be playing willfully ignorant. 

It's not anywhere outside the realm of possibility that Geno outplays Fitz in preseason and outright wins the starting job. Fitz isn't all that great. This is a guy who, after a hot start to the season, signed a huge deal with the Bills and then sh*t the bed and wound up leading the league in interceptions. And that was with Mark Sanchez starting 16 games for the Jets. 

Also, I saw you mentioned something about using Fitz to develop our skill position players. That's a nice soundbite but its immaterial and completely nonsensical in the Jets' case.  Decker, Marshal and Kerley don't need development, nor do any of our running backs. The only skill position player still in the development phase is Amaro and he would probably be best served by continuity at the QB position - and that means Geno. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dude made an excellent point. It's not his fault that you seem to be playing willfully ignorant. 

It's not anywhere outside the realm of possibility that Geno outplays Fitz in preseason and outright wins the starting job. Fitz isn't all that great. This is a guy who, after a hot start to the season, signed a huge deal with the Bills and then sh*t the bed and wound up leading the league in interceptions. And that was with Mark Sanchez starting 16 games for the Jets. 

Also, I saw you mentioned something about using Fitz to develop our skill position players. That's a nice soundbite but its immaterial and completely nonsensical in the Jets' case.  Decker, Marshal and Kerley don't need development, nor do any of our running backs. The only skill position player still in the development phase is Amaro and he would probably be best served by continuity at the QB position - and that means Geno. 

Willfully ignorant lol is that yet another hyperbolic description you use to describe people who disagree? I'm handicapping this as 3-1 for Fitz starting. Nothing is 0%. I just cannot envision a likely scenario where Geno outplays Fitz in Gailey's system. First, because he stinks. Second, because he has already proven very slow on the uptake of an NFL playbook. And third, Fitz already has a head start. Nothing personal, well not for me anyway. The Geno acolytes seem to have their emotion tied up tight into the outcome. I just want what is best for the Jets and calling it as I see it. If Geno wins, great. I won't be emotionally wounded. Can you say the same if/when Fitz gets the nod? Doubtful.

Willfully ignorant lol is that yet another hyperbolic description you use to describe people who disagree?

Based on your posts it appeared you weren't understanding what he was talking about. There's also your nonsense about the need to "develop" two Pro-Bowl wide receivers not coming off as particularly astute. 

Based on your posts it appeared you weren't understanding what he was talking about. There's also your nonsense about the need to "develop" two Pro-Bowl wide receivers not coming off as particularly astute. 

I understand and disagree. Pretty simple concept. If you need greater explanation to the phenomenon of people disagreeing with you, I can send you some more examples. I guess we will be skipping the draft and won't bring on any young guys who could benefit from competent QB play for development.

I understand and disagree. Pretty simple concept. If you need greater explanation to the phenomenon of people disagreeing with you, I can send you some more examples.

I disagree with CTM all the time. He also seems to actually comprehend what I am talking about. 

Can't say the same for everyone. 

Willfully ignorant lol is that yet another hyperbolic description you use to describe people who disagree? I'm handicapping this as 3-1 for Fitz starting. Nothing is 0%. I just cannot envision a likely scenario where Geno outplays Fitz in Gailey's system. First, because he stinks. Second, because he has already proven very slow on the uptake of an NFL playbook. And third, Fitz already has a head start. Nothing personal, well not for me anyway. The Geno acolytes seem to have their emotion tied up tight into the outcome. I just want what is best for the Jets and calling it as I see it. If Geno wins, great. I won't be emotionally wounded. Can you say the same if/when Fitz gets the nod? Doubtful.

im with Klecko here. But I just want us to win games. If Fitz starts then I see no harm. He rightfully won the job.

Can't be emotionally wounded over the player you want, not starting if he isn't best for the team? Am I right? Are you the players fan or a Jet fan?

I disagree with CTM all the time. He also seems to actually comprehend what I am talking about. 

Can't say the same for everyone. 

lol keep fighting the good fight against ignorance. Geno could benefit from your lessons.

Um with Klecko here. But I just want us to win games. If Fitz starts then I see no harm. He rightfully won the job.

That's the hope. A fair competition. If it's fair, I predict Fitzpatrick will win out and start. It's not an attack on anyone's hopes and dreams, just a prediction. The emotional reaction to one man's opinion is very intriguing.

spockeyebrow.png

Guess it was a stretch to think you two scientists could figure this one out, hey?

1) It's an understatement to say Fitz is a known commodity. He's an above-average bandaide. If he wasn't, he'd still be on one of the other 31 teams he's played for.

2) The WORST nightmare for Mac & co. is having to turn to Geno in december and watching Smith light it up. Do you have any idea the clusterfck that brings going into the 2016 offseason? Dust your head off.

3) If you start Geno in sept and he sucks, you can bench him after a couple weeks and never look back. Ride the bandaide consequence free and look at going after a franchise QB next year WITHOUT the scorn and curiosity of a red hot geno

I apologize for thinking you'd be able to put that together yourself.

There is some truth to this...and I think the regime could use Geno as an excuse if he fails...gives them a year for free, so to speak.

However, how do you justify being this aggressive in FA (who knows what they do in the draft) and give the impression you want to win now (think about all the 1 year type deals) and not roll out the QB you traded for who is at least statistically better on paper and familiar with the system?  Like, what if they start Geno, give him Sept., he losses all 4 games (a couple winnable ones) and then Fitz wins 8, which is just enough to keep them out of the post season?  How do you justify that away?

All that said, I dont think its out of the realm of possibility that Geno just straight up beats Fitz out.  Fitz sucks and is career loser.  Geno in his rookie season with the worst roster ever assembled won more games that season than Fitz ever has.

I can't believe anyone would be excited about Fitzpatrick. With him starting it just means we have no long term answer and no real hope until someone else comes along. To me this guy is about as exciting as putting my hopes in Blaine gabbert if he was on the jets. At least geno could still become something. Fitzpatrick just is what he is and I think people are kidding themselves if they expect him to come in and play really well.

Difference between hope and excitement. Not that it's necessarily likely to happen, but look at someone like Rich Gannon. Through age 33, his career was a much bigger meh than Fitzpatrick's. Then he finally landed in the right situation and just like that he was a top-5 QB for the bulk of the next 4 seasons. It's as though like Fitzpatrick doesn't have it upstairs, is in a familiar system he had some success with, and has far better weapons at his disposal than he had in his last time around with Gailey. 

Call it cautious optimism. 

Regardless, I don't think it's anywhere near the same as if in his place was Blaine Gabbert who, frankly, has fewer great games under his belt (zero) than Geno Smith (two). If Geno was considered the single worst starting QB in football the past 2 seasons, one reason is because Gabbert wasn't also starting.

When Fitzpatrick was with the Bills, 99% of posters on the board thought he was pure garbage and laughed at the Bills for starting such a lousy QB.

Now that he's wearing a Jets uniform, he will miraculously turn into the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year?

Fitzpatrick will be what he has always been, a mediocre QB with limited abilities.

Key phrase is "limited abilities". Any kind of ability has been short supply for our QB's the past 5 years. It's nice to hope Geno develops but at least with Fitz we got a mediocre QB which may be enough to make us competitive once Suh breaks Brady into pieces.

I tend fall in the camp of Geno actually having a legit chance to win the job.  He has to be hyper-motivated as he knows this is his last shot in NY and perhaps last shot to start period (unless Fitz gets injured).  He has already been working with Marshall, has history with Decker, Kerley and Amaro and as much as many think the guy is dead up from the neck up, I do believe he has learned from some of his earlier mistakes and HAS to realize that the one thing that will get his ass nailed to the bench or out of the league altogether are TURNOVERS.  If he can cut those numbers in half, there is no reason to believe he can't be effective, considering the weapons he has and that is not including what we get from the draft.   Plus don't forget, Fitz is recovering from a broken leg and will miss all the OTAs and could miss the beginning or be very limited in training camp.  Granted he is a veteran and knows Gaileys system but he still hasn't played in it in a few years.    All those factors give Geno the edge in my view.  

I can't believe anyone would be excited about Fitzpatrick. With him starting it just means we have no long term answer and no real hope until someone else comes along. To me this guy is about as exciting as putting my hopes in Blaine gabbert if he was on the jets. At least geno could still become something. Fitzpatrick just is what he is and I think people are kidding themselves if they expect him to come in and play really well.

I think he was the best of bad options, I feel a lot better trading for him then had it been Cassel

1. Geno held the ball too long because he was used in a complicated system that he had no experience with and lacked skill players

2. Healthy Pennington > Fitz.   Oh, and that Favre guy...   

Nah, He is too dumb to run a NFL offense.

As for Penny, I don't think he was better even before the first injury.

You are correct, I forgot the eight games Favre was better.

Getting grilled for an opinion is petty. Buuttt... I have to disagree with the populous that says Geno is flat out stupid. You can't stick a 2nd year kid out there in the most complicated offense in professional football with jags around him besides an injured decker and expect him to swim. You can bet your ass he would fail next year in that system too.. Playing to his strengths with playmakers all around him may finally make the light switch on. If not? Oh well.. That was his last chance. Bye bye, Geno! Nice knowing ya! .. I am in no way a Geno apologist but I do believe in giving him his last chance with the best possible players and system around him. Last round Geno. Last round.

Almost none of that is true. 

Difference between hope and excitement. Not that it's necessarily likely to happen, but look at someone like Rich Gannon. Through age 33, his career was a much bigger meh than Fitzpatrick's. Then he finally landed in the right situation and just like that he was a top-5 QB for the bulk of the next 4 seasons. It's as though like Fitzpatrick doesn't have it upstairs, is in a familiar system he had some success with, and has far better weapons at his disposal than he had in his last time around with Gailey. 

Regardless, I don't think it's anywhere near the same as if in his place was Blaine Gabbert who, frankly, has fewer great games under his belt (zero) than Geno Smith (two). If Geno was considered the single worst starting QB in football the past 2 seasons, one reason is because Gabbert wasn't also starting.

That term cautious optimism very aptly describes my viewpoint. And to be honest Fitz does not have to become Top 5. If he is above average I think the JETS should make some noise.

Im not a geno acolyte, but the willingfuly ignorant remark stands. In all your diatribe replies, you've yet to actually address the point I made; that management won't risk the rise of Geno in December. If Smith faceplants in training camp/preseason - then of course. All bets are off.... But if it's anywhere near close, there is no chance fitz starts. The New York Jets want to move into 2016 with no questions about what they got or need at QB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wager Fitz is infinitely more likely to become the next Rich Gannon than Geno is likely to become even as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick

Archived