Foot Injury Could Drop Shane Ray to 2nd round

AFJF

Per NJ.com

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/04/nfl_draft_2015_edge_rusher_prospect_shane_ray_migh.html

There are typically two things that can harm a NFL prospect's draft status: off-the-field concerns, and injuries. Unfortunately for Missouri defensive end/outside linebacker Shane Ray, his draft stock might be victimized by the former.

Ray, considered by many draft analysts to be a potential top 10 pick, has been dealing with a toe injury that he suffered at the Citrus Bowl last season, his final college game. The injury prevented him from running the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in February, but he did run at Missouri's Pro Day, posting a good time, 4.64 seconds.

But now, according to NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein, Ray's injury is enough of a concern for teams that he may need surgery that would put him out for five months, depending on the doctor's recommendation of the team that ends up drafting him. Zierlein speculated that the injury could potentially drop Ray out of the first round.

Ray is considered one of the top pass rushers in the entire draft, a 6-3, 245 pound explosive athlete with very good technique. Ray has been linked to the Jets and Giants in several mock drafts, both of whom are picking in the top 10. He is considered to be a better fit for the Jets' 3-4 defense, where he can play outside linebacker, as opposed to being an undersize defensive end in the Giants' 4-3 system.

NFL DRAFT: Full coverage of the 2015 draft class

If Ray's injury scares the Jets and Giants away, suddenly the available pass rushers in the top 10 are dwindling. Florida's Dante Fowler Jr. is expected to go in the top five, as is USC's Leonard Williams. Nebraska's Randy Gregory is also dealing with questions about his draft stock, after a series of failed drug tests in college and at the Combine.

That leaves Clemson defensive end Vic Beasley as a potential option for the Jets at No. 6 or the Giants at No. 9 if he's on the board. Less highly-regarded pass rushers like Kentucky's Bud Dupree or Virginia's Eli Harold could be the beneficiary of Ray's misfortune and Gregory's off-the-field concerns.

We are going offense at #6!

I will wince if we take Mariota, I will be perfectly fine with White or Cooper, I would take a large gulp of air and have to trust the front office if we took Gurley, I'd use a four letter word if we took Scherf or other olineman.

I'd snatch up Ray at 37 sure. That would be grand theft auto.

I don't know much about the pass rushers, but if this guy's legit and will fall due to injury, then I'd love to get Cooper at 6 and Ray at 37. We'd get a top receiver and pass rusher, couldn't work out much better than that IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Really thinking mid 1st.

I can definitely see some teams now maybe thinking about picking a guy like Beasley or Fowler over him, but that's about it. He'll still go in the top 10 I think, but he might drop to 15 max. IMO. Didn't Dion Jordan go through the same stuff? Needed surgery, which pretty much ruined his rookie year, yet the Fins still traded up to 3 to get him. I'm not sure if they knew or not, I think they did, but either way, Ray is not going to last until the 2nd round. The guy is a top 5 talent, so what if he misses a game or two, or if he's limited. It's not like edge rushers usually come in and play every or even most snaps in their rookie year.

I don't know much about the pass rushers, but if this guy's legit and will fall due to injury, then I'd love to get Cooper at 6 and Ray at 37. We'd get a top receiver and pass rusher, couldn't work out much better than that IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'd get a silver dollar in my pants if that happened

Between Ray, Gregory and Double 0 one will drop to 37.

Double O is a 2nd round guy, he's not gonna "drop" to #37. He'd be lucky to get picked that high. Ray & Gregory will be gone by ~ pick 10-15. After the elite 4 you're looking at Harold, Shaq, Double O, Dupree. Maybe even Kikaha.

Double O is a 2nd round guy, he's not gonna "drop" to #37. He'd be lucky to get picked that high. Ray & Gregory will be gone by ~ pick 10-15. After the elite 4 you're looking at Harold, Shaq, Double O, Dupree. Maybe even Kikaha.

Just take Cooper or White at 6 and get the Olb at 37. If we got either Cooper or White and Ray at 37 that's potentially both the best receiver and pass rusher in the draft.

Double O is a Calvin Pace clone.

He was a non-first kind of guy even before the foot surgery, hopefully this helps dodge that bullet.

Exactly. I saw a couple of mocks with us taking him at 6 and now we can focus on Dupree, Beasley or Gregory.   The guy is not a 3 down player; you don't use a top ten pick on a player like that. 

Shane Ray is a lineman, we dont need lineman. 

Thank you! Plus the guy is only 245 llbs.   He is the definition of a "tweener" and unless some team gets real creative with how they use him, he will struggle big time at the next level. 

Archived