Mayock: Jets Should Sprint to Draft Mariota

flgreen

Mike Mayock thinks Jets should 'sprint' to draft Marcus Mariota if he falls to them

PrintEmail

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on April 23, 2015 at 2:25 PM, updated April 23, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's chief draft analyst, won't publish his first (and only) mock draft until Wednesday night, on the eve of the draft.

But on Thursday, Mayock offered some thoughts about how the Jets could wind up landing Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, presuming they really want him.

During a conference call with reporters, Mayock said he doesn't necessarily think Mariota will be gone by the time the Jets' pick comes up at No. 6, though plenty of mock drafts have projected Mariota to be picked second, by either the Titans or a team that trades up.

Mayock also believes there is no way the Jets should pass on Mariota if he falls to them at No. 6.

"Personally, and I don't know a thing about it, in the [Jets'] building," Mayock said of the Jets' opinion about Mariota. "Just personally, if he got to six, I'd sprint that thing up there."

Mayock was referring to the process of a team turning in its draft card.

The presumption now is that there's a good chance Mariota could be selected before No. 6. But that's not a lock in Mayock's mind.

"I don't presume anything, especially with quarterbacks, because if Tennessee doesn't take him at two, and it's too rich a trading environment for anybody to get there, then you know Mariota is not going three or four, because Jacksonville and Oakland both have young quarterbacks," Mayock said. "That puts him at No. 5. And Washington is interesting because obviously there's been a rub with the organization and [Robert Griffin III]. If I'm the Jets and you really like Mariota, a) you think about going from six to two,

you think about going six to five, just to guarantee nobody else can jump you. Cleveland could go from 12 to five without giving up a first-round pick.

"So if I'm the Jets at six, and [Mariota] gets past Oakland at four, then I'd be on the phone with Washington, saying, 'Hey, what's it going to take to move one spot?' Just to guarantee I could get the kid. And Washington would love that because they could definitely have a player they wanted [with the sixth pick], plus pick up a second- or third-round pick by moving down one [spot in the first round, via the trade with the Jets]. [Mariota] could be there [at No. 6]. It all depends what happens at two. If he doesn't go to two, to anybody, he's going to get to five."

Mayock said that if he worked in the Titans' front office, he would "much rather continue to develop around" second-year quarterback Zach Mettenberger, "as opposed to drafting a rookie quarterback, unless I felt like the rookie quarterback was significantly better — at which point, you've got to take him."

Mayock believes that if the Titans don't trade their pick to a team like the Jets or the Chargers, Southern California defensive lineman Leonard Williams "makes the most sense" for the Titans to draft at No. 2 — not Mariota.

ESPN's lead draft analyst, Mel Kiper Jr., had previously said that trading up from No. 6 to No. 2 could be prohibitively costly for the Jets. Mayock pretty much agrees.

"That's a hard one," he said. "Trading up to two is a big deal, because if you look at the old trade value chart, one through four have by far the highest value. And then there's a precipitous drop to No. 5. Now, I'm not saying every team uses the trade chart.

But it's a basis to start [trade] conversation. So trying to get up to two is really hard, unless you have an existing player like San Diego with [quarterback] Philip Rivers, or perhaps Philadelphia has with [quarterback] Sam Bradford. If you want to go from 12 to two, it's really expensive.

"In other words, Cleveland, they'd be giving up a first-round pick, and I'm not sure they want to do that. [The Browns draft 12th and 19th in the first round this year.] If I'm Cleveland, I'd much rather wait and see if [Mariota] got to five, and move 12 to five. I wouldn't have to come out of pocket for the [other] first-round pick. So when I'm looking at teams trying to come up to two, really, it's got to be somebody fairly close.

Would the New York Jets do that? Um, I'm not sure. Because if [Mariota] gets by two, he's going to get to five. So for me, it's an intriguing conversation, because unless you have an existing quarterback you can use [in a trade] to get up to two, it's hard to get there with draft picks."

If the Jets can't land Mariota, for whatever reason, Mayock thinks they'll go with an edge pass rusher at No. 6.

"As far as their needs beyond quarterback, I think they've got to be looking at edge," Mayock said. "Calvin Pace is 34. [Jason] Babin is [going on] 35. They need a young dude. They need somebody that can get after the quarterback naturally, and at that point [with the sixth pick], several of those guys are going to be available."

Mayock believes Florida's Dante Fowler Jr. will be picked before No. 6. Mayock doesn't think Nebraska's Randy Gregory will be picked very early, because of character concerns. (Gregory has admitted to testing positive for marijuana.)

Mayock said Clemson's Vic Beasley "has some questions about whether or not he can set an edge in the run game." Kentucky's Bud Dupree "is a guy that's been climbing [draft stock] charts because he's 270 pounds." Mayock also mentioned Missouri's Shane Ray, who reportedly might need to undergo foot surgery.

"So at six, they've got an opportunity, if they want it, to go after whoever they perceive to be the top edge guy on their board," Mayock said.

He said the Jets' next most important need would be offensive line, but unless they're going to draft Iowa's Brandon Scherff (a tackle who projects as an NFL guard), then picking an offensive lineman at No. 6 would be "too high."

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF  the Jets are looking to move up for Mariota, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilkerson being used as bait

ugh.  No.  Give up picks, most likely including next year's 1st rounder,  AND Wilk?  No.  Just shoot me now.  

That would be billboard material.

ugh.  No.  Give up picks, most likely including next year's 1st rounder,  AND Wilk?  No.  Just shoot me now.  

That would be billboard material.

I don't know what Macc thinks about Mariota, but IF he thinks Mariota is a franchise QB, giving up a DL they may, or may not  be able  to re-sign, seems like a good deal for the Jets. 

Simple if the Jets feel that Mariota is the real deal you move and draft him, period!!  The QB position is the most important player on the board without question.

If the Jets say Mariota is a maybe then you stay put and hope that he drops in some way.

The idea that there is a player on the board who can change your franchise for the next ten years and is available to you and you can get him and you don't is simple madness to me.  The only question is how does the Jets brain trust value Mariota. 

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer

The Jets quietly brought Oregon QB Marcus Mariota to Florham Park for a visit on 4/2, five days after working him out privately in Eugene.

That makes the Jets one of three teams, joining the Bucs and Titans, to both work Mariota out on campus and bring him in to their facility.

Mariota's visit to Jets came right after his Bears visit. He visited 4 teams (TB, TEN, NYJ, CHI), worked out for 5 (TB, TEN, NYJ, STL, SD).

Tennessee:  Tennessee should pass on Mariota. Tennessee should for sure give this 6th round pick with an injury history a real chance to grab the job!

Jets:  Jets would be nuts to pass on Mariota! They have no one at all who can play!

If Tennessee is passing on Mariota it is because they don't think he is that good not because of Zakc freaking Mettenburger and the Jets should pass as well unless they are convinced Mariota is the real deal.

Ugh...I wouldn't take mariota..I'm not a believer. Gimmick offense and the kids demeanor has me seriously questioning his ability to lead an NFL football team in NYC. No fire. Hes like a walking qualude.

Hes a likable kid, i guess, but he doesn't scream 2nd overall (or 6th for that matter) just my opinion. I'm w Villian, I'd much rather find a way to get Glennon. I'm pray for rivers right before the draft starts. We should all pray together for that.

If chip Kelly finds a way to get mariota, It would make a great story though.

Ugh...I wouldn't take mariota..I'm not a believer. Gimmick offense and the kids demeanor has me seriously questioning his ability to lead an NFL football team in NYC. No fire. Hes like a walking qualude.

Hes a likable kid, i guess, but he doesn't scream 2nd overall (or 6th for that matter) just my opinion. I'm w Villian, I'd much rather find a way to get Glennon. I'm pray for rivers right before the draft starts. We should all pray together for that.

If chip Kelly finds a way to get mariota, It would make a great story though.

You want to get a pray circle organized for a Pro football draft day trade LMAO? you sound so serious.

I wouldn't run up there, I would pray chip calls first.  Then you 100% take him and see if anybody else calls

then if nobody else calls you take your time with him and let him develop.  If I take him I tell everybody listening he doesn't play in '15 unless injury dicates it

anybody who starts to cry about getting an immediate impact of the top pick I would just say

milliner

wilson

gholston

if the jets get him, and develop him correctly, he could easily be the best QB around here since ******* forever

People predicted we would take Geno.....at 9. Then definitely at 13. Then it was nuts he dropped out of the first, then we were mocked for taking him in the 2nd. Just because Mariota is the 2nd best QB in this draft does not make him worth the 6th pick. I think he's gonna drop like a stone. He's not close to being field ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have zero issues with us ending up with MM at this point. Most of the holes were plugged in FA, and from what I'm able to gather the league loves the kid as a franchise QB. 

To be clear, my preferred choices up this high in the draft would have been Cooper and Leonard Williams. If we could move back about 4-5 spots I'd be okay with Gurley, Beasley and Dupree as well.

Part of me thinks MM may have close to a Brady Quinn like free fall come draft day. Basically a crap draft QB wise has gotten him more ink then he deserves.

As was the case with Geno for example, NFL Scouts seem to have greatly different opinions than those who do mock forecasts for a living.

That said, the Skins who sit at #5 have an expensive option decision to make on RGIII two days after the draft and they have been relatively quiet of what they will do in regards to him thus making me wonder if they are waiting to see how far Mariota falls come draft day.  

Francesa made an interesting point yesterday in that he would trade two number ones for Rivers based on the opinion that it immediately fixes your QB problem. I agree in that while not elite or in the top tier of NFL QB's, Rivers is in the top ten and perfect for a team like the Jets considering our current options including MM. 

I have been saying this for 2 months. Mariota should be #1 overall on the Jets board. There is not another player in this draft that should even be a close 2nd.

Really? A guy that's never taken a snap under center? A guy that ran a primitive 1/2 read offense from shotgun every play? A guy that arguably may not even be ready to see the field in 2 years? His on field leadership skills are questionable. His ability to read a defense is questionable. Mariota would barely be a first round consideration in a year with decent QB's in the draft. You don't draft this kid top 10 in almost any realm and I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop Geno style. I don't think Mariota is going to be a bust because I just don't think he will ever be good enough to be a bust. The NFL does not have patience for a kid like him to suddenly get it, and the Jets fans sure as hell don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of me thinks MM may have close to a Brady Quinn like free fall come draft day. Basically a crap draft QB wise has gotten him more ink then he deserves.

As was the case with Geno for example, NFL Scouts seem to have greatly different opinions than those who do mock forecasts for a living.

That said, the Skins who sit at #5 have an expensive option decision to make on RGIII two days after the draft and they have been relatively quiet of what they will do in regards to him thus making me wonder if they are waiting to see how far Mariota falls come draft day.  

Francesa made an interesting point yesterday in that he would trade two number ones for Rivers based on the opinion that it immediately fixes your QB problem. I agree in that while not elite or in the top tier of NFL QB's, Rivers is in the top ten and perfect for a team like the Jets considering our current options including MM. 

I don't think so, several teams very clearly want the kid. If he makes it to us, I'd be shocked.

Part of me wants to think the Jets are posturing with their interest in him, to ensure he gets picked before us, in order to push one of the true top 5 picks down to us.

Part of me thinks the Jets new regime wants to draft a kid that'll be ready next year to take the reigns from Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Archived