Mayock: Jets Should Sprint to Draft Mariota

flgreen

Mariota has something that Geno has yet to show....smarts.

And I'm a guy saying Genos story hasn't been told yet. Geno just doesn't seem to be very smart.

He's run out of the endzone.

He holds the ball like a loaf of bread.

He holds on to the ball too long along the sideline.

He runs backwards too often.

He throws with his feet not set.

These are all correctable traits but if Mariota is staring at us with the 6th pick I'm running to the podium just like Mayock says we should do. With this coaching staff & defense, this is the highest pick the Jets will have for 5 years.

Sounds like Mariota is also a very intelligent and hard working guy as well.  I'd be fine drafting him (and waiting 2 years before he even began to figure it out) but I don't think he's falling to us and I don't think we're trading up.  The meaningless wins last year really hurt us.  Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise somehow though.  Only time will tell.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure that - at least for this year - our scouts are held-over from the Idzik era. I would think Maccags will bring in his own scouts right after though.

He fired Bradway and Bauer after 3 days on the job.

Sounds like Mariota is also a very intelligent and hard working guy as well.  I'd be fine drafting him (and waiting 2 years before he even began to figure it out) but I don't think he's falling to us and I don't think we're trading up.  The meaningless wins last year really hurt us.  Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise somehow though.  Only time will tell.

I agree with you that I don't think he lasts to our pick @ 6. QB is just too damn important to ignore in the NFL.

But, like every draft before this one, strange sh*t happens. I mean Aaron Rogers got passed over & waited pissed off in the green room so who the hell knows how this plays out.

Best case scenario for Jets is Mariota falls to 6, Cleveland Browns trade us their 2 1sts & a 3rd.

We end up with Peat, Parker, Harold, Ajayi & Ali Marpet....BAM! Lol.

Totally disagree that Winston is the best prospect, "baggage and all."

Baggage is the reason he should not be drafted in the top half of the 1st round. He is immature, volatile, entitled, disrespectful, and uses terrible judgment at best... criminal at worst.

The only immature QB ever to succeed in the NFL was Favre, and that was after Atlanta traded him to Green Bay.

The team that chooses a guy like Winston to be the face of the franchise... will get exactly what they deserve. A punk that may have flashes of success early in his career ala Vince Young, but will ultimately bust outta the league when his true character emerges ala Ryan Leaf after he gets kicked in the teeth like all young QBs do... sans Marino.

Everything Mariota supposedly needs can be coached!

What Winston needs is a total attitude overhaul and a full time babysitter.

Seriously, which of the QBs would respond better to a 3-13 season or a lousy 5 game stretch? Which one will work harder and fall on the sword and which one will lash out and point fingers?

Comparing Winston to Vince Young just goes, and shows how little you know about Winston. If Young had 10% of Winston's work ethic, and willingness to put in the time he would probably be a top 5 QB in the league right now.

Comparing Winston to Vince Young just goes, and shows how little you know about Winston. If Young had 10% of Winston's work ethic, and willingness to put in the time he would probably be a top 5 QB in the league right now.

Actually... I believe Winston will wind up somewhere between Leaf as the floor and Cutler/George as the ceiling...

You completely misunderstood the context of why I mentioned Vince Young.

Actually... I believe Winston will wind up somewhere between Leaf as the floor and Cutler/George as the ceiling...

You completely misunderstood the context of why I mentioned Vince Young.

Winston at worst will be a better version of Cutler, and at best a better version of Big Ben.

Mariota has something that Geno has yet to show....smarts.

And I'm a guy saying Genos story hasn't been told yet. Geno just doesn't seem to be very smart.

He's run out of the endzone.

He holds the ball like a loaf of bread.

He holds on to the ball too long along the sideline.

He runs backwards too often.

He throws with his feet not set.

These are all correctable traits but if Mariota is staring at us with the 6th pick I'm running to the podium just like Mayock says we should do. With this coaching staff & defense, this is the highest pick the Jets will have for 5 years.

Thank you!!!

The only folks talking up Geno into the top ten were his agents whom he fired when he went in the second round.

Archived