Winston, Mariota, Williams, Cooper, Fowler go Top 5

Morrissey

Gut feeling it comes down to this choice 

it might easily be Kevin White. If they think he's a better prospect than Beasley. 

I personally am less comfortable with the OLB depth chart than I am with the WR depth chart. But the Jets could see it the other way, it would not be surprising at all. 

I agree with you bit that it would come down to those two choices for me, however, I would choose Beasley. All other things being equal, I think an edge rusher holds more value than a wr, I agree with you that OLB is a bigger need for the Jets than WR and I prefer the WR options that will be available later on in the draft over the OLB options that will be available in later rounds. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CDUCy_sXIAA4m39.png

this is idiotic.  Where is Vic Beasley? Did he drop out of the draft or something?   And Dorsett is NOT going at pick 16.  He won't even make round 1.  Not a snowball chance in hell that the Giants pick Gurley.  Very bad mock.

White.

The thought of White is starting to scare me. Im thinking hes not a sure thing. Maybe im blinded by my pessimism of WVU prospects.

He has physical traits...does he have polished route running ability? Character concerns? Is he just a combine freak? I feel like he was an unknown until after college season was over and that scares the daylights out of me.

How do they forget Beasley in that mock? Weirdos

We gotta take Beasley in this scenario, IMO. Many think he's Vonn Miller-esque. Can you imagine adding a Vonn Miller to this group? If that turns out to be true our defense would be lights out!!

In this scenario, I'm pounding table for Beasley!!!

The thought of White is starting to scare me. Im thinking hes not a sure thing. Maybe im blinded by my pessimism of WVU prospects.

He has physical traits...does he have polished route running ability? Character concerns? Is he just a combine freak? I feel like he was an unknown until after college season was over and that scares the daylights out of me.

White does come with question marks as he had a problem with drops in 2013 but caught everything in 2014. He does go up and get the ball very well. He dosent appear to have any character concerns. I do have some reservations as he was a one year wonder.

I'd go with White. He's a legit #1 NFL frame. A redzone Beast. Instant offense & more of a role in the offense in the future. Makes Marshall expendable when his salary exceeds his production and White can step right in.

If not White then trade down to grab picks & Gregory

I've also become rather skeptical of Clemson players in the pros

Our pick #6 , I believe is next hot spot for trade activity.  I don't believe TEN will take Mariota , but, will trade the pick. If not, they take Williams and the Mariota trade frenzy really heats up.  JAX, OAK, and WAS are probably not locked on anyone in particular and could be tempted to a trade the includes 2  #1s. One player is not going to make them a Champion overnight.  But, if the draft does go with these 5 players coming off the board in some order then we can become the  next trade pivot point.  Remember our pick is worth  1600 and TEN @ 2 is worth 2600 on the trade value chart.  Do cooler heads prevail  from the next 7 teams or do they call us with  an effort to move up and grab the player that they are targeting . I think  we will wait till the last 45 seconds and our new GM will trade down. Probably no further than #13.  The next group of players could be all lumped in value but differ depending on a Team's need. This could be just as exciting as the opening of this year's free agent trade FRENZY.

Most of you know I rank Gurley in the top 6, but, don't think they will do it. The Rumor Frenzy of misinformation is just getting started and by Thur afternoon could be boiling. I am planning to post on Wed night or Thur morning depending on my schedule. I look forward to you guys doing your homework and chiming in with some well thought out opinions to wet our appetites . And yes I watched Kiper and McShay last night and was stunned that Beasley didn't go in the 1st round when he Killed the Combine as a workout warrior and is ranked high by the NFL channel analysts. Most of what I read is that these edge rushers are Weak vs the Run. That is my concern too.             

I really was undecided who I favored at all with our pick until I started reading mocks one pick at a time, slowly instead of racing down, and finding that I winced every time I saw Cooper picked.  In this scenario, I go White, with Beasley as my second choice.  Trading down a few slots and ending up with Gurley or Scherf are both nice choices as well but I don't like the value of picking them at 6.

I'd go with White. He's a legit #1 NFL frame. A redzone Beast. Instant offense & more of a role in the offense in the future. Makes Marshall expendable when his salary exceeds his production and White can step right in.

If not White then trade down to grab picks & Gregory

I've also become rather skeptical of Clemson players in the pros

Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, Bruce Ellington, Martavis Bryant, C. J. Spiller, Byron Maxwell....

Not bad from my perspective. Perhaps you mean "defensive" players from Clemson? That would be a bit more credible.

Plenty of good WRs/RBs in the top of the 2nd - go with OLB/DE or OL

I agree with you. But if an elite receiver is sitting there at #6, it will be hard to pass up if your other option is Dupree or Sherft. There are very good OL in the second and third as well. Ideally, the Jets nab a top-flight OLB, then WR, then RB. Personally, I like Beasley at #6, but I wouldn't cry if we took White or Cooper. David Johnson should be there in the 3rd. OLB/WR/RB would be in the wheel-house of this draft's distribution, IMHO.

The thought of White is starting to scare me. Im thinking hes not a sure thing. Maybe im blinded by my pessimism of WVU prospects.

Unknown if you don't watch College a Football .. He was one of the best receivers in the country. . Now if you wanna tell me he could be a 1 yr wonder I could agree with that.

. Now if you wanna tell me he could be a 1 yr wonder I could agree with that.

If you could agree with this, you shouldn't want to draft him @ 6. Unless you take developmental QB, #6 should be a lock....not a 1 year wonder at WVU.

...In my opinion

If you could agree with this, you shouldn't want to draft him @ 6. Unless you take developmental QB, #6 should be a lock....not a 1 year wonder at WVU.

...In my opinion

Hate to tell you there is no lock at 6- Beasley is certainly not a lock

White or Gurley, I do NOT reach on Beasley or Dupree when I can get Eli Harold or Gregory in the 2nd or bottom first with a small move up trade. We need balance. If not White or Gurley I would gladly trade down a few spots for someone that has to have Beasley or White.

Gurley at 6th overall? Am I missing something?

I think Gregory is a better prospect than both...and would agree about depth chart re OLB/WR

I think he and White might be equal as prospects and as the need for OLB is greater than receiver plus given the depth of quality receviers in this draft, I would definitely go Gregory. 

I agree with you. But if an elite receiver is sitting there at #6, it will be hard to pass up if your other option is Dupree or Sherft. There are very good OL in the second and third as well. Ideally, the Jets nab a top-flight OLB, then WR, then RB. Personally, I like Beasley at #6, but I wouldn't cry if we took White or Cooper. David Johnson should be there in the 3rd. OLB/WR/RB would be in the wheel-house of this draft's distribution, IMHO.

If we take Beasley be prepared to see one of two things; either him not playing on first or second downs, or teams running down his throat.  If we go OLB, the choices need to be (not in any order) Gregory, Dupree or Fowler.  Guys who can both rush the passer AND play the run. 

If we take Beasley be prepared to see one of two things; either him not playing on first or second downs, or teams running down his throat.  If we go OLB, the choices need to be (not in any order) Gregory, Dupree or Fowler.  Guys who can both rush the passer AND play the run.

I feel the same way as you on this.  We are in the minority.  Only I'm not so sure Dupree doesn't generate similar concerns.  

Gregory is the only guy among the potential edge-rushers who was solid against the run and that was because he was used as a DE and it was a natural function of his role. Gregory is not, in my opinion, in the same class as a pass rusher as Fowler, Ray or Beasley (Dupree is too raw to even compare, but nice measurable). All three are more explosive, faster, and more skilled as pure pass rushers. So much depends on what the Jets want. I believe they will lean to the pure OLB's over the DE hybrid types (Coples part 2). Right now what teams are looking for is where they expect a player to be a few years down the road. Dupree may have the best upside, but he is the farthest away. If Ray is healthy, he and Fowler and Beasley will see the field quickly in precisely the packages you describe. That's not a bad thing.

Archived