Maccagnan Holds Pre-Draft Presser, Stresses Importance of 3-4 Outside Linebackers

JetNation

Maccagnan

By Glenn Naughton

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan today made comments in reference to the upcoming draft during his pre-draft press conference lending credence to those experts who have the Jets pursuing an outside linebacker such as Florida’s Dante Fowler or Bud Dupree out of the University of Kentucky in next week’s draft.

In discussing the position Maccagnan referred to 3-4 outside linebackers as “the lifeblood” of the defense and said he likes the idea of adding a young one every  year.  Referencing one of the more successful 3-4 franchises in the league, Maccagnan praised the work that has been done over the years by the Pittsburgh Steelers who are seemingly loaded with talent at the position from year to year.

Another hot topic that the rookie GM touched on very briefly was the contract status of star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.  With the draft fast approaching, Maccagnan would only say that Wilkerson’s absence from the teams most recent workouts was voluntary and that negotiations with his camp would be on hold as draft preparations wrap up.

In all Maccagnan said the Jets evaluated just under 1,400 prospects before narrowing their draft board down to where it is now, which is roughly 290 players.  When asked if any draft eligible players were removed from their list of choices, he said that as with any team, the Jets had taken some players off of their board.  Usually a result of injury or character concerns, there was no elaboration beyond that.  The GM also discussed the amount of time Jets talent evaluators spent reviewing tape as  a group to see that everyone was on the same page.

Over the next five days Maccagnan expects trade talks to heat up as he plans on contacting teams in the top-5 but said his preference would be to add picks with the idea of pursuing the best player available as opposed to the team’s biggest need, adding that he’s seen too many of those backfire. Maccagnan said he prefers addressing needs through free agency.

The draft is set to take place this Thursday night in Chicago with the Jets hosting a draft party with season ticket holders at MetLife Stadium for round one with festivities kicking off at 6:30pm.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pYLz2CpicF8

View the full article

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that if we take Dupree over pursuing Mariota, he better be a 15 sack per year guy. Our QB play has been atrocious for so damn long, I just dont know how much longer I can watch the garbage we have put out there the last decade (except 1 year of Favre).

Seems like a strange time to be praising the Steelers for their "OLB pipeline" what with them going back to Harrison and all...

For 2 decades that model worked. This is an off-year after all the guys in their "pipeline" were signed away.

if Macc is smart, and I think/hope he is, I wouldn't put any stock in anything said in that interview

Agreed...but one thing that makes me think it could be legit is that they're so high up that they could be guaranteed to get a player they want at six.  If they love Fowler/Beasley/Dupree...one of them is going to be there.  It's not as if three teams are going to trade up to 3/4/5 and take all the LBers.

With him saying "we want an OLB every year" and "you get O-lineman late"...I'm thinking Scherff?

if Macc is smart, and I think/hope he is, I wouldn't put any stock in anything said in that interview

I put more stock in the notion that he wants to constantly have 34 OLB being developed, it says nothing about when he's willing to draft one.

He said a lot of other things today, talked about inquiring with top 5 teams about trading up. To gauge the cost, which would allow him to also appropriately value the #6 pick for those he's trying to trade down with.

I have to say that if we take Dupree over pursuing Mariota, he better be a 15 sack per year guy. Our QB play has been atrocious for so damn long, I just dont know how much longer I can watch the garbage we have put out there the last decade (except 1 year of Favre).

Remember the draft consists of more than the first round.  Also if Mariota is there at 6 that is one thing but to mortgage the future by trading up would be a mistake in my opinion.  Especially for a someone who realistically won't even get on the field next year.   Take the best available player or trade down; period. 

Agreed...but one thing that makes me think it could be legit is that they're so high up that they could be guaranteed to get a player they want at six.  If they love Fowler/Beasley/Dupree...one of them is going to be there.  It's not as if three teams are going to trade up to 3/4/5 and take all the LBers.

With him saying "we want an OLB every year" and "you get O-lineman late"...I'm thinking Scherff?

No I think that means we can get offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds depending on how the board falls.  I seriously doubt we are drafting Scherff at 6. 

No I think that means we can get offensive linemen in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounds depending on how the board falls.  I seriously doubt we are drafting Scherff at 6. 

We'll know soon enough.  Honestly not a player  I wouldn't be happy with at 6 in terms of the names being discussed.  Only one that scares me is Winston but couldn't fault them if he miraculously fell to them.

After 1 year? Didn't Mac also say "these guys take longer to develop"?

It's two years.  He came out in 2013.

I will be more interested to see if they look for size or speed in the OLB.  The Jets have been skewing towards the DE side on those guys lately.  More Bud Dupree than Vic Beasley.  I will be interested to see which one Bowles is looking for, though with Coples already there, they could use a smaller guy anyway.  We probably won't really know until 2016/2017, unless they really suck.  In that case, like Idzik, we will probably never know.  

We'll know soon enough.  Honestly not a player  I wouldn't be happy with at 6 in terms of the names being discussed.  Only one that scares me is Winston but couldn't fault them if he miraculously fell to them.

I was watching ESPN with McShay and Kiper doing their 3 round mock (only saw round 1) and they had Scherff going to us at 6 and had to resist an urge to kick in my TV set.   I can understand you being a little concerned about Winston but he would be the most talented qb the team drafted since Joe Willy Namath.  For that kind of talent I would have NO PROBLEM with the pick.  Even he busted you could not blame them for taking the chance. 

I was watching ESPN with McShay and Kiper doing their 3 round mock (only saw round 1) and they had Scherff going to us at 6 and had to resist an urge to kick in my TV set.   I can understand you being a little concerned about Winston but he would be the most talented qb would have drafted since Joe Willy Namath.  For that kind of talent I would have NO PROBLEM with the pick.  Even he busted you could not blame them for taking the chance. 

I wouldn't have a problem with the pick either, it's just that if he does do something stupid that has him out of the league in three years you can't help but feel like you blew the 6th overall pick on a guy everyone said was going to end up being a bust.  Saw a headline today on NFL.com (I think) saying he's the next Jamarcus Russell.  A guy like Scherff on the other hand, the stuff I read about him makes him out to be on par with JJ Watt in terms of dedication/preparation.  If he's a bust, at least you know it won't be because he just didn't care about the game.

Like I said though, I've not seen a name associated with them that would upset me at no. 6.

I will be more interested to see if they look for size or speed in the OLB.  The Jets have been skewing towards the DE side on those guys lately.  More Bud Dupree than Vic Beasley.  I will be interested to see which one Bowles is looking for, though with Coples already there, they could use a smaller guy anyway.  We probably won't really know until 2016/2017, unless they really suck.  In that case, like Idzik, we will probably never know.  

I just hope they don't go Shane Ray; the guy is a DE in a Linebackers body.  I keep seeing his name pop up in mocks all over the place.  

For me, I would prefer in this order - Fowler, Dupree, Beasley, Gregory.  (Gregory would be number 1 if not for the decision making issues; i.e. smoking pot before the combines...)  I think they will lean toward the bigger OLB who still are just as if not more, athletic than some of the smaller linebackers.  

We will see but he looks too slow

I thought he was heading in to year three...only been in the league one year?

I forgot which year he came out. 

I forgot which year he came out. 

No worries.  That isn't really the issue.  For me the issue is this:  You like to emulate teams like Pittsburgh because they usually have a guy in the pipeline, so when they let somebody walk, the next guy steps up.  The point of my post was, they did that with Jones, failed and had to bring Harrison back.  I guess that had more to do with Woodley getting big bucks to get hurt.  To me, the important thing isn't just using the picks, it is knowing if/when the guy can step up. Studying the Steelers, especially when they failed is probably still smart.

One week before the draft i won't be surprised if the OLB statement is the classic smokescreen. I do not expect a NFL GM to show their real cards at this point in the game. Maccag's statements are  no different. Very well played move.

I see where you're coming from, but I could see him saying it and then following through on it.  They're sitting at six and at least 2 QB's and Fowler are likely going before them.  Unless multiple teams trade up to 4/5 then they know that somebody they like will be there.

It's all a lot of fun but we're really just guessing.  He could be tipping  his hand because he feels like he can still get his guy, or it could be 100% smoke screen with earlier comments about getting O-linemen late in the draft if Scherff is their top target.

I see where you're coming from, but I could see him saying it and then following through on it.  They're sitting at six and at least 2 QB's and Fowler are likely going before them.  Unless multiple teams trade up to 4/5 then they know that somebody they like will be there.

It's all a lot of fun but we're really just guessing.  He could be tipping  his hand because he feels like he can still get his guy, or it could be 100% smoke screen with earlier comments about getting O-linemen late in the draft if Scherff is their top target.

Thats what adds to the fun. It could be a lot of things as you say. But the probability of it being a smokescreen sounds high.

The great thing about the draft, is him saying it a. can be interpreted two ways (the Steelers have had success with a number of OLB's outside the first round, but if it's an important position maybe you want to take an OLB in the first and b. at this time of year, everybody will call it a smokescreen anyway so he could be doing a little reverse psychology.

I don't love the OLB class at the top, but as long as they take a guy with some athletic upside I'm cool with it. On the topic of OLB's, cool edge player article on Rotoworld.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/53704/466/force-players-2015-draft

No worries.  That isn't really the issue.  For me the issue is this:  You like to emulate teams like Pittsburgh because they usually have a guy in the pipeline, so when they let somebody walk, the next guy steps up.  The point of my post was, they did that with Jones, failed and had to bring Harrison back.  I guess that had more to do with Woodley getting big bucks to get hurt.  To me, the important thing isn't just using the picks, it is knowing if/when the guy can step up. Studying the Steelers, especially when they failed is probably still smart.

Agreed.

Also, they failed when LeBeau had 1 foot out the door. I don't know that that's a coincidence.

Thats what adds to the fun. It could be a lot of things as you say. But the probability of it being a smokescreen sounds high.

Is that a Randy Gregory prediction?

LOL....this should be one of the more entertaining drafts of the past few years.

Aside from the Jets, I'm really curious to see what unfolds with Mariota and Chip Kelly.

One week before the draft i won't be surprised if the OLB statement is the classic smokescreen. I do not expect a NFL GM to show their real cards at this point in the game. Maccag's statements are  no different. Very well played move.

he emphasized the olb position, deemphasized wrs and refused to talk about qbs b/c he didn't want it to put them at a competitive disadvantage.  

Archived