Maccagnan Holds Pre-Draft Presser, Stresses Importance of 3-4 Outside Linebackers

JetNation

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Nimbley @Cnimbley

Maccagnan said he doesn't put much stock into "winning a draft" since you can't accurately grade a draft until around 3 years later #Jets

Retweeted by JetsInsider.com

I am beginning to like this guy.

Me too.  All those talking heads and their "draft grades" the day after the draft was always rediculous to me. 

No way we're targeting OLB after that speech unless Irish Mike is a rank amateur.  These are the days of smoke and mirrors, hokum and nonsense, misinformation, disinformation and downright in yo face lying.  Hopefully he got the memo

it sounded like he was trying to make everyone think they're going olb rather than wr.  

No way we're targeting OLB after that speech unless Irish Mike is a rank amateur.  These are the days of smoke and mirrors, hokum and nonsense, misinformation, disinformation and downright in yo face lying.  Hopefully he got the memo

That's the thing...as a first time GM he could walk out there and tell everyone exactly who they plan on taking and everyone will think he's BSing because "nobody does that"...either way..it's gonna' be fun.

He said a lot of other things today, talked about inquiring with top 5 teams about trading up. To gauge the cost, which would allow him to also appropriately value the #6 pick for those he's trying to trade down with.

He's possibly also looking at the asking price to gauge which teams might truly have the ammo to move up ahead of him.

Is that a Randy Gregory prediction?

LOL....this should be one of the more entertaining drafts of the past few years.

Aside from the Jets, I'm really curious to see what unfolds with Mariota and Chip Kelly.

NJ.com's Mark Eckel passes along a "rumor making its rounds in NFL personnel meetings" of the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Browns for the No. 19 overall pick in the draft.

The Browns already offered No. 19 to the Rams for Bradford, prior to his trade to Philadelphia. St. Louis didn't accept because it wanted a quarterback, and wound up acquiring Nick Foles. The Browns are "still said to have interest" in Bradford. Per Eckel, the rumor has the Eagles then sending Nos. 19 and 20 -- plus Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox -- to the Titans in exchange for No. 2 overall, where Philly would select Marcus Mariota. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Friday that Bradford currently believes the Eagles may be planning to trade him.

For 2 decades that model worked. This is an off-year after all the guys in their "pipeline" were signed away.

It's the same for OL too. OL and LB are positions on the higher end of the coachability spectrum and the thinking is the pipeline keeps it so you can always have talent coming up for cheap to replace the FAs. This is what some of us were screaming for during the Tannenbaum years, because the reason it works is because that's what you use your mid rounders on, and it's why our OL and LB units dropped off in production so quickly.

NJ.com's Mark Eckel passes along a "rumor making its rounds in NFL personnel meetings" of the Eagles trading Sam Bradford to the Browns for the No. 19 overall pick in the draft.

The Browns already offered No. 19 to the Rams for Bradford, prior to his trade to Philadelphia. St. Louis didn't accept because it wanted a quarterback, and wound up acquiring Nick Foles. The Browns are "still said to have interest" in Bradford. Per Eckel, the rumor has the Eagles then sending Nos. 19 and 20 -- plus Mychal Kendricks and Fletcher Cox -- to the Titans in exchange for No. 2 overall, where Philly would select Marcus Mariota. Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported Friday that Bradford currently believes the Eagles may be planning to trade him.

One of the biggest indicators (aside from the fact that Bradford is not a fit for that offense) that Philly plans on trading Bradford is that the Eagles themselves have not printed any Bradford jerseys to be sold in any of their pro-shops but every other FA acquisition has.  That became a hot topic on Philly radio and when asked about it the Eagles said it was because they didn't want to sell the jersey of a player with only one year left on his contract.  Right, because we all know how much NFL teams hate selling merchandise to a fan base that  may have to go out and buy more merchandise to replace it the following season.  How considerate of them...LOL

No matter what pass rusher we get remember we have one of the leagues best pass rushing developers in Kacey Rogers on our coaching staff now.  Whoever they decide to get for OLB I feel confident they will develop to have a major impact on this team.

The big thing I take away from this is that Macc isn't going to sleep or forget about the OLB position like the Jets have done for far too many years.  Just the fact that he believes its a major focus for a 3-4 team makes me so happy.

it sounded like he was trying to make everyone think they're going olb rather than wr.  

It sounded like he was telling the league to trade ahead of the Jets if you want an OLB.

Meaning he may want Mariotta or Cooper to slide to #6.

Let's assume Winston, Mariotta, Leonard and Fowler all get picked 1-4. Let's imagine that someone trades up ahead of the Jets for an OLB. It gives us our choice of Cooper and White. With both of them on the clock, we are almost guaranteed a trade-down offer. 

I'm sticking with my hunch that Maccags wants Scherff or Gurley and his play is to trade out of 6 back to get one of those guys and an extra pick.  In a way his worst case scenario is Mariota falling to 6 since I think it would be nearly impossible for him to justify a trade down with a potential franchise QB sitting there...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12755577/mike-maccagnan-new-york-jets-gm-talking-other-teams-lead-draft

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan intends to spend a lot of time on the phone over the weekend, contacting the five teams ahead of the Jets in next week's NFL draft.

The Jets will explore the possibility of trading up, said Maccagnan -- an acknowledgement that will, no doubt, fuel the Marcus Mariota speculation.

But the Jets' first-year GM, speaking Friday at his pre-draft news conference, quickly tempered his interest in moving up, saying he is hesitant to give away draft picks. Philosophically, he prefers a quantity-over-quality approach.

"We're going to reach out to every team ahead of us to gauge, to get a value for what they're looking for in compensation to move up in the draft," Maccagnan said. "That doesn't mean we're actually trying to go up and get a player, but you [see] what the market value is, basically."

The Jets currently have six picks for the draft, which begins Thursday.

The cost to jump from No. 6 to No. 2, the spot generating the most Mariota chatter, would be enormous -- probably multiple first-round picks. TheTennessee Titans hold that pick, and several teams are thought to be interested in acquiring it.

The Jets are showing considerable interest in the former Oregon quarterback. In a span of five days in late March and early April, they conducted a private workout in Eugene, Oregon, and flew him to New Jersey to meet with team officials at the Jets' facility.

But speaking in general terms, Maccagnan made it sound like he is not interested in mortgaging part of the team's future for one player.

"Philosophically, I'm not opposed to moving up in the draft to get a player if you feel it's a player that's going to be an extremely good player, but I would, personally, like to get more picks," he said. "It would be more opportunities to acquire more talent."

The Jets were one of the busiest teams in free agency, adding 15 players for about $80 million in guarantees, but they still have glaring needs. One of them is quarterback. They have inconsistent incumbent Geno Smith and veteran journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom they acquired in a trade.

Maccagnan declined to comment on whether he considers quarterback a need, saying he doesn't want to put himself at a competitive disadvantage for the draft. The only thing he said about the quarterback situation was that he's "absolutely" comfortable with the homework they have done on Mariota.

The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season, also have needs at outside linebacker and on the offensive line.

New York has around 285 to 290 players on its draft board, Maccagnan said, after evaluating around 1,400 players over the past several months.

Maccagnan, an economics major in college, used a stock-market analogy when evaluating a trade-up scenario.

"It's almost like a portfolio," he said. "Do you pick one stock you think is going to give a big return, or do you pick three stocks that may not hit the ceiling but, in terms of the overall value, gets a higher yield?"

No matter what pass rusher we get remember we have one of the leagues best pass rushing developers in Kacey Rogers on our coaching staff now. Whoever they decide to get for OLB I feel confident they will develop to have a major impact on this team.

The big thing I take away from this is that Macc isn't going to sleep or forget about the OLB position like the Jets have done for far too many years. Just the fact that he believes its a major focus for a 3-4 team makes me so happy.

Did Rogers coach the OLBers and help develop Wake?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I remember when we hired Rex, I knew almost nothing about him but loved that we signed Baltimore's D-Coordinator cause I LOVED how they played defense.

I feel the same way when I hear Mac wants to emulate Pittsburgh when addressing the OLB position. Since I was a kid Pittsburgh has always had solid to elite LB cores. From Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, etc.....I would love for the Jets to have similar success to what Pittsburgh has had developing that position. Yeah they may have missed one with Jones selection, but no one bats 1.000 %.

I'd like the think The Mac isn't going to be that transparent... but we didn't even pursue any of the free agent OLBs this past FA period... and there were a number of them available. Smells like he's planning on getting one here at some point in the draft. I just can't imagine a scenario where Beasley, Fowler or Dupree would be rated higher than Cooper, or Gurley (or in my eyes, Parker)

I remember when we hired Rex, I knew almost nothing about him but loved that we signed Baltimore's D-Coordinator cause I LOVED how they played defense.

I feel the same way when I hear Mac wants to emulate Pittsburgh when addressing the OLB position. Since I was a kid Pittsburgh has always had solid to elite LB cores. From Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, etc.....I would love for the Jets to have similar success to what Pittsburgh has had developing that position. Yeah they may have missed one with Jones selection, but no one bats 1.000 %.

Yes, but PIT hasn't (in recent years) spent 1st round picks at the position outside the now busty Jones. Harrison, Worilds, Porter, Woodley... none of them were 1st round picks. 

Don't forget Farrior. Ouch.

I can't help it. I only remember the pain. So much pain.

Don't forget Farrior. Ouch.

I can't help it. I only remember the pain. So much pain.

Yeah, he was an inside backer though....but him, LeVon Kirkland, Timmons, etc on the inside as well, Chad Brown played I think a little of both....they were stacked forever at that position.....if you love physical defense you loved watching their LBers play.

I think that was a great sell to others teams, We currently only have 6 Picks, and the drafts got some good talent, and value deep into the first. I'm more excited about this draft than I have been for a long time. I do like we now have grown ups running the show.

Last year will we had more strikeouts then Nolan Ryan. Let's see how a true Draft on best player available GM works out.

I think that was a great sell to others teams, We currently only have 6 Picks, and the drafts got some good talent, and value deep into the first. I'm more excited about this draft than I have been for a long time. I do like we now have grown ups running the show.

Last year will we had more strikeouts then Nolan Ryan. Let's see how a true Draft on best player available GM works out.

Yup. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how a draft war room with aligned agendas handles the draft... Rather than a room full of dissent.

I thought the same thing. We are siting on the spot where the run on edge rushers or WRs start because the top 5 are probably gone. If you want that guy who is next on your list "Call Me" , we are open for business.

Archived