Why wouldn't the Bucs want Rivers?

NBC's Alex Flanagan tweeted Saturday that she's been talking to "more and more people" who believe rumors of Philip Rivers being traded by the Chargers "have legitimate legs."

As Flanagan noted, the Titans "need Rivers," in order for beleaguered GM Ruston Webster and coach Ken Whisenhunt to save their jobs. The Chargers would be a good fit for Marcus Mariota, going to a coach in Mike McCoy who's repeatedly shown the ability to craft his offense to maximize his quarterback's strengths. Any deal of Rivers to Tennessee would likely require a long-term agreement between the team and Rivers. The Titans would have to have that assurance from Rivers' camp before executing the trade. Rivers is entering the final year of his contract.

So it looks like we are going to be hearing Rivers to the titans for the next week. But if your the Buccaneers why wouldn't you want Rivers? 

They have a ton of money to spend. They have his old buddy Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, and Seferan Jenkins. He would fit perfect there.  

And....They can make the trade right now. 

So it looks like we are going to be hearing Rivers to the titans for the next week. But if your the Buccaneers why wouldn't you want Rivers? 

They have a ton of money to spend. They have his old buddy Vincent Jackson, Mike Evans, and Seferan Jenkins. He would fit perfect there.  

It's not that they don't want Rivers, its just that Jameis has a longer career ahead of him

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't wait for these Rivers rumors to die. No way in hell San Diego get's rid of him.

I don't see it happening this year. The team is still unsure of moving, now this time next year the situation is changed. This year they are still in SD, where he is happy. Next year 2016 however he will need to be tagged and will most likely play for the 22 mill if the team stays in SD for the 2016 season, but if they move to the Rose bowl or Colosseum, He will sit out the first ten games and join the team for the last 6 games and only be away from his family for those 6 weeks while pulling down 10 mill and make it almost impossible for the Chargers to tag a 35 YO again. 

I think the chargers will pounce on Hundley in the 2nd. Let him sit for a year and B/U -  then trade Rivers next year with a qb in place that likes playing in LA.

Would he re-sign with the Buc's? My guess is no . If he doesn't want to take his family to LA why would he move them to Tampa.

I can see the chargers wanting mariota for the whole west coast thing but rivers has a number of good years left in him.  this is all just leveraging for the contract negotiations in my mind

I watched 30 for 30 last night, elway to marino.  elway was using the yankees as leverage on the colts.  the colts took elway anyway as leverage.  heck, the chargers used elway as leverage to sign fouts to a long term deal while they were on the clock !!!

(btw accorsi got raped by denver, he should have just taken kelly)

I honestly can't wait for these Rivers rumors to die. No way in hell San Diego get's rid of him.

Agreed...

Teams just don't let franchise QB's go.  We know all to well how hard it is to find one - you simply don't trade one away.

Agreed...

Teams just don't let franchise QB's go.  We know all to well how hard it is to find one - you simply don't trade one away.

Except of course SD, who let Brees go

Except of course SD, who let Brees go

they had a QB in hand, and he suffered a major injury to his throwing shoulder but yeah they didn't even get a case of beer for him.  All they had to do was wait until he healed to see what the market was

they had a QB in hand, and he suffered a major injury to his throwing shoulder but yeah they didn't even get a case of beer for him.  All they had to do was wait until he healed to see what the market was

The QB in hand had never played, yeah they saw him in practice but it's not like he was a known quantity

I don't see it happening this year. The team is still unsure of moving, now this time next year the situation is changed. This year they are still in SD, where he is happy. Next year 2016 however he will need to be tagged and will most likely play for the 22 mill if the team stays in SD for the 2016 season, but if they move to the Rose bowl or Colosseum, He will sit out the first ten games and join the team for the last 6 games and only be away from his family for those 6 weeks while pulling down 10 mill and make it almost impossible for the Chargers to tag a 35 YO again. 

I think the chargers will pounce on Hundley in the 2nd. Let him sit for a year and B/U -  then trade Rivers next year with a qb in place that likes playing in LA.

Rivers is an UFA after the 2015 season.  If the Chargers want to get something for him, now is the time to trade him.  Of course, they could extend him and then trade him in 2016, but an extension can be tricky with guaranteed money/bonus accelerating into the cap if you trade so quickly..  

That's what a second year HC wants to do. Trade away his teams future for a 33 year old guy who hasn't won with better talent in SD. Rivers isn't going anywhere, because I doubt ANY HC or GM is desperate enough to pull the trigger. Rivers chokes in big games and has since he came into the league. He is a regular season QB who can put up solid numbers and get you to the playoffs. Then he drops you off there and goes on to next year.

Rivers is an UFA after the 2015 season.  If the Chargers want to get something for him, now is the time to trade him.  Of course, they could extend him and then trade him in 2016, but an extension can be tricky with guaranteed money/bonus accelerating into the cap if you trade so quickly..  

Tagged players get traded, The tag is no hindrance to the new team signing him long term, it just limits the teams you can trade him too. He has to want to go there and they need to have 22 mill of cap room when the trade is made. 

QB tag too pricey for Rivers, IMO.

You don't  think Rivers is one of the top 10 qbs in the game? I do. They had no running game and no #1 WR last year and the oline was no great shakes either. Rivers would make the Jets, Bills, Texans a playoff team.  At 22 mill that is 5 mill more than what Revis is getting, Rivers will make a bigger than 25% more improvement in the jets 2016 performance than a Revis would.

You don't  think Rivers is one of the top 10 qbs in the game? I do. They had no running game and no #1 WR last year and the oline was no great shakes either. Rivers would make the Jets, Bills, Texans a playoff team.  At 22 mill that is 5 mill more than what Revis is getting, Rivers will make a bigger than 25% more improvement in the jets 2016 performance than a Revis would.

It's still a one-year rental which would cost a 1st round pick and more.  

I can see the chargers wanting mariota for the whole west coast thing but rivers has a number of good years left in him.  this is all just leveraging for the contract negotiations in my mind

I watched 30 for 30 last night, elway to marino.  elway was using the yankees as leverage on the colts.  the colts took elway anyway as leverage.  heck, the chargers used elway as leverage to sign fouts to a long term deal while they were on the clock !!!

(btw accorsi got raped by denver, he should have just taken kelly)

That was on Irsay not Accorsi.  Accorsi had nothing to do with that deal; didn't you watch the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino ;-)?

I could understand Tennessee trading for Phillip Rivers if Winston is off the board because I dont personally think that Mariota is a Franchise QB at this juncture. Jameis Winston looks like a Franchise QB talent so to see the Bucs trading out of the 1st pick for Phillip Rivers would be a total mistake. Though I dont see the QB being a problem for them, taking Jameis Winston would be the best situation for them if they're going to take a QB no matter what. If they trade out of the position it better not be for a 33 year old QB when their team isnt isnt a QB away. That would totally be squandering a #1 pick in the draft for what would be at the moment a 1 year rental, or possibly 100 million dollar deal. 

You all think the Panthers will commit to Cam long term?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article10900505.html

If Carolina doesn't want him, I'd gladly pick him up at the airport and drive him to Florham Park.

He was Geno level bad last year.

We are way off topic with this, but they are nothing alike. Carolina's #1 WR to start the season was Jerricho Cotchery. Kelvin Benjamin was a good pick, but Newton had very little help. Olsen a bit.   DeAngelo Williams and Stewart were as usual useless.  Give me Newton any day.   

That was on Irsay not Accorsi.  Accorsi had nothing to do with that deal; didn't you watch the 30 for 30 Elway to Marino ;-)?

irsay def screwed everything up, but accorsi was saying for the whole show he had a price he wasn't budging from.  he said he would resign if they traded elway for hannah I think.  whoever got raped, they should have taken what they could get while still getting kelly

That's what a second year HC wants to do. Trade away his teams future for a 33 year old guy who hasn't won with better talent in SD. Rivers isn't going anywhere, because I doubt ANY HC or GM is desperate enough to pull the trigger. Rivers chokes in big games and has since he came into the league. He is a regular season QB who can put up solid numbers and get you to the playoffs. Then he drops you off there and goes on to next year.

FYI - Lovie Smith is not a second year HC. 

He benched Matt Sims for Josh Mc-suck. All that needs to happen is for the Bucs to draft Winston and him screw up and Lovie will never have a job again in the NFL as a headcoach. 

irsay def screwed everything up, but accorsi was saying for the whole show he had a price he wasn't budging from.  he said he would resign if they traded elway for hannah I think.  whoever got raped, they should have taken what they could get while still getting kelly

Well hindsight is 20 20 but he was trying to get a top 5 or 6 pick and would have taken Marino.  Twice he thought he had deals; once with Chicago swapping picks with the Raiders and the other was with the Cowboys, that would have included qb, Danny White along with picks.   I really don't blame for that.  What I do blame him for is not taking Marino at 1 instead of Elway to begin with.   Hannah was just about finished; but if that would have included NEs pick then you are right he did screw up because he could have taken Kelly or Marino.