Why I am all in on Gurley

bealeb319

I have loved Gurley for quite some time and before he finally let someone check his leg out I thought he would be obtainable in the second round. I know most of you are against drafting an RB early but with Gurley we will get a lot of production out of a first round pick, yes like most of you I would want to trade down just a bit in order to draft him as 6 is pretty high for a RB but I also wouldn't be upset if he was ours at pick 6. Almost everyone is screaming for a pass rusher or a WR but the way I see it is those are not major priorities for us right now. Before the complaints start rolling in, yes we don't have an elite pass rusher and it is good to have but I think the LBs that we currently have will look much better this year with a revamped secondary, it only takes a few extra seconds to make a mediocre pass rusher look elite. As for WR we should still be able to get a blue chip type of WR in round 2 such as DGB, Devin Smith, or Jalen Strong (they are not Amari Cooper but they are very talented none the less). Gurley could step in on day 1 and make an instant impact on our team regardless of what QB is on the field, a rookie WR will take longer to learn the system and will be dependent on our QB's play costing us time we might not have as our secondary and offensive line are getting old.

If you have a chance at a RB like Gurley at 6, you take him and dont look back. If the knee isn't injured he is top 3 in this draft. He might have even went #1. If his health checks out and you like his character, you don't hesitate taking him at 6. Gurley is a Peterson/Faulk, once in ten years running back.

If you have a chance at a RB like Gurley at 6, you take him and dont look back. If the knee isn't injured he is top 3 in this draft. He might have even went #1. If his health checks out and you like his character, you don't hesitate taking him at 6. Gurley is a Peterson/Faulk, once in ten years running back.

Once in ten years and his replacement is better?

Why better? Wasn't Gurley's yards per attempt and  td/attempt. better. Also, as we saw with Shonn Greene in 2009 there is an advantage for a fresh running back taking over mid/late season against tired / injured defenses

Why better? Wasn't Gurley's yards per attempt and  td/attempt. better. Also, as we saw with Shonn Greene in 2009 there is an advantage for a fresh running back taking over mid/late season against tired / injured defenses

The same?  Similar?  I do not understand the Shonn Greene comment at all.  Defenses are tired/injured in October?  Then isn't his offensive linemen?  The Shonn Greene thing was the second half of games, not almost every carry from October.   I like Gurley, I am not sold on him as a generational pick at the moment.

His replacement, Nick Chubb did pretty well I agree but I don't think you could really say he is a better back until after this upcoming season, If it does turn out he is a better back the chances of the Jets getting Chubb next year is pretty low anyway, Gurley has star potential and would likely give us the most bang for our buck in round 1. He also fills in my opinion our biggest team need, as I stated earlier I think our LBs will be pretty good this year with a revamped secondary. You cant compete for a superbowl without a good ground game and when Ivory goes down do you really think Powell is going to step up as a number 1 back?

His replacement, Nick Chubb did pretty well I agree but I don't think you could really say he is a better back until after this upcoming season, If it does turn out he is a better back the chances of the Jets getting Chubb next year is pretty low anyway, Gurley has star potential and would likely give us the most bang for our buck in round 1. He also fills in my opinion our biggest team need, as I stated earlier I think our LBs will be pretty good this year with a revamped secondary. You cant compete for a superbowl without a good ground game and when Ivory goes down do you really think Powell is going to step up as a number 1 back?

I understand how much you like Gurley, but as far as our ground game?  Ivory, Powell, Ridley, back someplace other than #6 overall.  There are still good backs to be had.  The Pats signed Blount in November. 

I understand how much you like Gurley, but as far as our ground game?  Ivory, Powell, Ridley, back someplace other than #6 overall.  There are still good backs to be had.  The Pats signed Blount in November. 

Yep; I played along but there are alot of good, potentially great backs in this draft.  Gordon, Ajayi, Coleman, Johnson to name just a few.   At least two or three of them should be around in at 37.  There will probably be quality backs into the 4th round. 

090813_uga_football_67.JPG

starting to get a little steamed up for this guy. seems a bit of a stretch at 6, but rather him in that spot than Scherff/Peat. if we're not sold on Kevin White/Amari Cooper/Devante Parker and/or Fowler/Beasley are gone, kind of hoping we nab Todd. Ivory could be gone, Ridley meh, Powell meh. if Mac and co have him as the best player available, take him. 

Agreed. People said the same "don't take a rb early" bs on Richardson a few years ago, too. How'd that work out?

Look at the top RBs in the league: AP, Murray, McCoy, lynch, lacey, bell, Forte, Morris, foster, gore, and forsett (last year's top 10 in yards plus Peterson). Bottom line, if you don't draft a RB high in the first, you're screwed.

Look, gurley is likely to be a great back, but would still be a poor pick from an asset management perspective. Short careers, easily replaceable with acceptable baseline production, and equally likely to get an elite back later in the draft (historically) would make drafting a rb at 6 colossally dumb unless the back turns into an all time great, at which point it would only be mildly dumb. And you can't bet on prospects turning into all-timers

Not sure that happens at 1.6, but honestly never looked

Look at the Jets with Mariota, we brought him in early this month and it was only reported a few days ago, if the draft was earlier like it used to be and he fell to us we probably draft him and no one ever knows he even came in to see us.

Look at the Jets with Mariota, we brought him in early this month and it was only reported a few days ago, if the draft was earlier like it used to be and he fell to us we probably draft him and no one ever knows he even came in to see us.

i think that's been known for a quite a bit longer then a few days

i think that's been known for a quite a bit longer then a few days

Its been known that we went to his proday for sure, it may have been known that we called him in for a visit, but it has only been reported that he came in for a few days now. they called it a "secret visit" on the nfl network

Gurley will be a Giant and we will get to see him up close and personal.   I will have no problem with that as long as we land a quality back on day two or three.  (Duke Johnson, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson etc.)

Archived