Shane Ray busted for pot possession

Matt39

Anyone listening to ESPN radio?

One question was, true/false, Gregory and Ray both stay in first round...all three guys (golic, Ryan Clark and Adam somebody) were like, to paraphrase, I really hope they/he does etc etc...

Really?? This is a microcosm of what's wrong with ESPN IMO, why the **** would anybody still be "rooting" for these two prospects to still go in the first round when both have failed drug tests multiple times...MULTIPLE times...when there are countless other clean, hardworking prospects vying for the same draft position.

I realize and agree pot isn't a big deal but it's the stupidity, especially from Ray, that should have some kind of consequence.

I dunno, I'm getting to be an old fart, but I just think it sends such a horrible message to kids listening. I mean it's one thing for a team to take the prospect, but at least, as an ultra popular opinonated media source, don't advocate it, for ****s sake.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone listening to ESPN radio?

One question was, true/false, Gregory and Ray both stay in first round...all three guys (golic, Ryan Clark and Adam somebody) were like, to paraphrase, I really hope they/he does etc etc...

Really?? This is a microcosm of what's wrong with ESPN IMO, why the **** would anybody still be "rooting" for these two prospects to still go in the first round when both have failed drug tests multiple times...MULTIPLE times...when there are countless other clean, hardworking prospects vying for the same draft position.

I realize and agree pot isn't a big deal but it's the stupidity, especially from Ray, that should have some kind of consequence.

I dunno, I'm getting to be an old fart, but I just think it sends such a horrible message to kids listening. I mean it's one thing for a team to take the prospect, but at least, as an ultra popular opinonated media source, don't advocate it, for ****s sake.

Not to go off on a political tangent but how is the NFL media advocating it by somewhat excusing the situation when our government is basically a pubic hair from making legal?  Now dont get me wrong, I realize kids follow more Football than politics but Alcohol is much worse and it dominates the advertisement vehicle the league offers.

Those dudes are morons for what they've done but to vilify them for it seems obnoxious.  They wont be be the last.  The whole league smokes.  

Didnt Calvin Johnson fail for weed?  Warren Sapp too?  Or did they just admit to smoking it in interviews?  Cant remember exactly.

Not to go off on a political tangent but how is the NFL media advocating it by somewhat excusing the situation when our government is basically a pubic hair from making legal?  Now dont get me wrong, I realize kids follow more Football than politics but Alcohol is much worse and it dominates the advertisement vehicle the league offers.

Those dudes are morons for what they've done but to vilify them for it seems obnoxious.  They wont be be the last.  The whole league smokes.  

Didnt Calvin Johnson fail for weed?  Warren Sapp too?  Or did they just admit to smoking it in interviews?  Cant remember exactly.

Sapp (and Marino) both failed for coke.  I think Sapp failed for coke and weed.  That is much worse because it stays in your system for a much shorter period.  It was also considered much worse back then in general and it wasn't legal anywhere.  Even Miami!  Calvin Johnson never failed a test to my knowledge, but he admitted that he smoked weed.  You answered your own question about the alcohol.  It pays the bills.  Same as tobacco used to for NASCAR.

Ray got arrested.  That is not a good thing ever.

I think both go hand and hand. I'm sure Ray and Gregory probably thought, "Didn't Calvin Johnson fail for weed?  Warren Sapp too?...so whatever." 

Again, I don't think weed is a big deal, the act of stupidity knowing what's at stake and lack of consequence is, to me. I think it's fair to root for these guys to turn it around and have great careers but NOT to root for them to still be 1st rounders...is what I'm saying.  ie...show the next kid in line why smoking roaches at 4 in the morning on the wrong side of the road does, at least, have some type of consequence...in millions of dollars....

Sapp (and Marino) both failed for coke.  I think Sapp failed for coke and weed.  That is much worse because it stays in your system for a much shorter period.  It was also considered much worse back then in general and it wasn't legal anywhere.  Even Miami!  Calvin Johnson never failed a test to my knowledge, but he admitted that he smoked weed.  You answered your own question about the alcohol.  It pays the bills.  Same as tobacco used to for NASCAR.

Also agree it's unfair to clump the two together. Gregory is a moron for failing a test....but Ray is a total loser getting busted 3 days before the draft. 

Ray is a moron, no doubt.

I think both go hand and hand. I'm sure Ray and Gregory probably thought, "Didn't Calvin Johnson fail for weed?  Warren Sapp too?...so whatever." 

Again, I don't think weed is a big deal, the act of stupidity knowing what's at stake and lack of consequence is, to me. I think it's fair to root for these guys to turn it around and have great careers but NOT to root for them to still be 1st rounders...is what I'm saying.  ie...show the next kid in line why smoking roaches at 4 in the morning on the wrong side of the road does, at least, have some type of consequence...in millions of dollars....

Everyone makes mistakes, if my company worried about the stupid sh*t I did at 18 years old, I wouldnt have a job.  He's a moron, dont get me wrong but unfortunately the league doesnt really care.  They just want him to get to the QB.

Also agree it's unfair to clump the two together. Gregory is a moron for failing a test....but Ray is a total loser getting busted 3 days before the draft. 

This for sure.  Totally different scenarios IMO.

Archived