Jets being contacted for Wilkerson

prime21

Wilkerson is a very good player. But at the same time he does not look like he will quite reach an elite level, where he justifies the type of  contract Watt or Suh got. I suspect we are VERY far apart on contract terms, and while we have him for two more years with the franchise tag, he has quite a bit of value. The Jets have been extremely coy and evasive on Wilk. I do not think we would trade him for Williams but I do think he might be used to get Mariota if the Jets really want him (I actually think they do) My guess would be that is is Cleveland with the 12 pick that is most likely for a trade partner.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're getting Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, or Kaep (not in the other two's league, but still), then trade Wilk and #6 and book your flights to SF. 

If we're not getting one of those three or another proven QB in return, then tell the inquiring teams to shove it.

Plain and simple. 

Source: Jets' Wilkerson drawing trade interest

Even though standout defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has been a no-show at the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts, he is very much on the mind of other teams.

At least two teams, and possibly more, have approached the Jets about trading for the 25-year-old Wilkerson, a league source told Adam Schefter of ESPN.

More calls from teams are expected as Thursday night's draft gets underway, according to the source.

Just as the Chargers don't plan to trade Philip Rivers and the Vikings don't intend to trade Adrian Peterson, the Jets don't plan to trade Wilkerson. But all of those teams are expected to listen to offers. It is up to another team to sway those clubs' thinking, which could happen in any of the cases.

Wilkerson could be the most attractive defensive player potentially available. Any team interested in acquiring him would have to weigh whether he is better than the player or players it could draft this week. Were he in this draft, Wilkerson would be considered a sure-fire top-10 pick, per one league executive.

and still young.  It would have to be a knock your socks off offer.

If we're getting Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, or Kaep (not in the other two's league, but still), then trade Wilk and #6 and book your flights to SF. 

If we're not getting one of those three or another proven QB in return, then tell the inquiring teams to shove it.

Plain and simple. 

Kaep ain't that good.  The league has pretty much figured him out.  The other guys are getting long in the tooth.  Brees gets about 25 mil a year or something like that?  I would proceed cautiously.

We should not short change ourselves. Reminds me of the guy who was trying to justify why the JETS did not pick Marino.

Right now a deal would look something like, Wilk + #6 pick for Top 5 that gets us Mariota makes no sense right now.

Or it could turn out to be Wilkerson, next year's #1 ( hopefully it will be a lot lower pick) for Mariota.

Not necessarily recommending it, but it'ssmart for them to see what his value is.

Don't forget, your assuming that the FO is putting the same value on Mariota, and what he can do, that you are.   They might consider Mariota the best thing since t!ts.  I don't know what they think at this point.  We may find out on Thursday.

Yeah kaep would be just as bad as trading up for mariota. Don't. Want.

I'd take Kaep. He is a huge upgrade and he had a great year with pre-Achilles-tear Crabtree. And Crabtree isn't even that good. Kaep with Marshall/Decker and a decent run game--would be a very big upgrade.

It makes alot of sense. I like Wilk... we all do. But DLmen do not win titles. QBs do. How many playoff games has JJ Watt won?

If you don't like MM, that's one thing. But believing that Wilk can help the Jets win a title with below average turnover machines at QB is what makes zero sense.

I am perfectly fine moving Wilk to ensure Mariota is a Jet.

I agree with you but that won't stop the instata hate if the Jets do this!!

Wilkerson is a very good player. But at the same time he does not look like he will quite reach an elite level, where he justifies the type of  contract Watt or Suh got. I suspect we are VERY far apart on contract terms, and while we have him for two more years with the franchise tag, he has quite a bit of value. The Jets have been extremely coy and evasive on Wilk. I do not think we would trade him for Williams but I do think he might be used to get Mariota if the Jets really want him (I actually think they do) My guess would be that is is Cleveland with the 12 pick that is most likely for a trade partner.

When Mo was out with turf toe I didn't miss him.. When Klecko,Abe or even Ellis was missing you saw the difference not so much with Mo..I like Mo but he's not Revis so I hope he and his agents come to their senses or he may be gone..

If the Jets are in love with Mariota, Wilkerson could be used as a chip to move up.

Depends on two things.

1) Are the Jets in love with Mariota enough to seriously want to move up?

2)  Where are the Jets' and Wilkerson in negotiations?  Are they at an impasse and 10's of millions apart on his value, and the Jets don't think they can get a deal done?

Could also be a ploy leaked by the Jets to put some pressure on Wilkerson, to get him to back off a very hard stance.  or to back his agents off.  Wilkerson is a local kid who is very tight with his family.  he might not want to move across the country.

This could get interesting

Wilkerson is a very good player. bUt he is probably demanding JJ Watt money and he simply isn't worth that. Options are franchise him and see what happens next year or trade him now. Don't think using him as a chip for Mariota makes any sense though. Getting more draft picks, may be. Trust that Mac/Bowles know what they're doing. And this may merely be part of contract talks. Nothing wrong with using leverage to make a better deal, and that's life under the cap.

Kaep ain't that good.  The league has pretty much figured him out.  The other guys are getting long in the tooth.  Brees gets about 25 mil a year or something like that?  I would proceed cautiously.

He ain't as good as the other two, but he's certainly better than 15 other starting QBs. A top 15 QB could very well be all we need with the defense that we look to put out there and the weapons that the QB will have surrounding him at his disposal. 

Regarding the long teeth of the other two, I don't really care. They still have two years of top tier QB play in them...we have a roster and team built for contention for the next two years. After 2017, most of our guys are coming off the books and/or will be too old to contribute at a high level.

The time is now with our roster. We have the talent to compete, but we need a QB to win. If forgoing a decade of playoff appearances is the cost for the potential to win a super bowl in the next two years, then **** it. Give me the Super Bowl by 2017 every time. 

Jets

Report: Teams Have Reached Out To Jets About Trading For Wilkerson

April 28, 2015 11:17 AM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets have made a flurry of high-profile offseason moves and own the No. 6 pick in the upcoming NFL draft, but their best — and most important player — might still be defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

Wilkerson didn’t report for the start of the team’s offseason program earlier this month, and the 25-year-old is reportedly skipping voluntary workouts yet again.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, at least two teams have reached out to the Jets about trading for the 6-foot-4, 315-pound lineman.

Schefter reports that more teams are expected to call general manager Mike Maccagnan about Wilkerson’s availability when the draft kicks off on Thursday night.

The Jets don’t plan to trade the 2013 second-team All-Pro, according to Schefter, though they will likely listen to offers.

CBSSports.com reported earlier this month that Wilkerson is looking for a new deal, but his camp and the organization have not made much progress — if any — in their negotiations.

The New Jersey native is set to earn approximately $7 million in 2015. If he isn’t given a new deal, he’ll become an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

“I don’t really want to comment on if I’d like him to be here or not be here,” Maccagnan said recently at a news conference. “I’m sure Mo is doing a good job, wherever he is, working out. But again, these are all voluntary, so he’s not required to be here for them.”

In 13 games last season, the former first-round pick recorded 55 combined tackles, 5.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

Well, he's going to cost us a lot of $$$ to keep.  If he plays out his contract, he's gone in FA.

Beerfish is spot on if Williams falls to us!  Muhammed is worth a high Round 1 plus a 3rd or 4th.

and honestly... has he consistently been "all that" for us?

The big money is paid for sacks.  Mo is not necessarily a big sack guy.   If he wants the big money he has to sack the QB.  I could see a trade, but for something very good.

I'd take Kaep. He is a huge upgrade and he had a great year with pre-Achilles-tear Crabtree. And Crabtree isn't even that good. Kaep with Marshall/Decker and a decent run game--would be a very big upgrade.

Unless he changed his one read then run routine, no thanks. He's also very weak minded, media will tear him apart and hell just crumble. Never mind the guys talking trash on the field.

Unless he changed his one read then run routine, no thanks. He's also very weak minded, media will tear him apart and hell just crumble. Never mind the guys talking trash on the field.

Even if all the above is true, he is still a gargantuan upgrade over what we got, sadly.

I agree, but I can only assume that whatever move they would make would be for a franchise QB. We have heard Brees and Rivers names thrown around. More scary is that they like Mariota. I wouldn't like it, but I would understand.

Not a big fan of Mariota. I agree with you. Then again, these teams are calling the Jets and not the other way around. If we do trade him, I'd def like a QB in return. A proven QB. Not one with similar skills as Brooks Bollinger

Even if all the above is true, he is still a gargantuan upgrade over what we got, sadly.

true / agreed ! !.. I hope we " listen " to all offers and make a deal ONLY if we get...

an NFL ready qb & a HIGH  pick in this draft  :character0181:

This is all kind of ridiculous. Look at whether we make our best deal for Wilkerson before or after our pick, and with Williams on or off the board. It's pretty clear that you ride out the first pick if you have a plan.

But then we can't talk about what we want and make guarantees about stuff.

Only way you deal Mo is if:

1) Williams is there at 6

2) San Diego will trade Rivers and their 1st for Mo.

That is the only way any of this dumb ass sh*t makes any sense.  Mo should be a ring of honor type player. If we deal him to move up 6 spots someone needs to smack Mcags in his head.

When has Mo Wilkerson been "A Star" ?

The guy had a sack & a half in 8 games to end the season!

Playing next to Sheldon Richardson.

Jet fans ALWAYS overvalue our players. Personally, I think Mo is not a 110%er.

The "Sons of Anarchy" went to his head a bit.

I like Mo, but he's a slightly above average DT. He's solid, but he's not A STAR in the NFL.

We won 4 games last year. In 2013, the Texans with JJ Watt won 1 game!

If Mac & Bowles believe trading Mo can land us a future QB I'm all for it.

Imagine in 2005 trading someone like Mo to draft Aaron Rogers, the f*cking board would have exploded.

Jets gotta be bold! We just aren't lucky like the f*cking Colts going from Payton Manning to Andrew Luck.

Mo is great but if you can get two #'1s for him you gotta do it - need to think of cap space....If we could get Clevelands two #1s do it and draft Dupree, Perriman and Peat...Id be happy.  We already have 2 DEs in Coples and Richardson...I think Richardson can be better than Wilkerson...no need to tie up that much cap space in one position...already have too much invest in CB - but thats probably for this year only - I would think Cro is 1 and done and then hopefully Milliner or McDougle is ready for a starting gig in 2016.  A franchise QB is not an option this year - neither Mariota nor Winston are locks, pick up Petty in the 3rd Rnd and a RB in the 2nd.  

Archived