Jets being contacted for Wilkerson

prime21

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got two #1's for keyshawn, and I think Mo is a better DE than Key was a WR.  Also when was the last time a defensive player of his caliber got traded.

If the question is what's the last time a good non pro bowl player was traded I would say all the time..

This would be senseless. Why trade Mo and draft Williams??? Mo is expendable because of #93 & #98.

That's the whole idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because they think Williams is better and is a number of years away from the big pay day wilk wants?

Wilkerson is very good. Very good. But he's not elite. To me he's right around what Sean Ellis was for us. Very good, some solid flashes of greatness, but not elite. Mo is not worth the money that Suh and Watt received, nor is he as good as them. If that's the money he's seeking then trading him now would be the move to make.

Wilkerson is very good. Very good. But he's not elite. To me he's right around what Sean Ellis was for us. Very good, some solid flashes of greatness, but not elite. Mo is not worth the money that Suh and Watt received, nor is he as good as them. If that's the money he's seeking then trading him now would be the move to make.

Wilkerson is a force on defense who constantly draws double and triple teams, he can and does play both tackle and end, he regularly stuffs the run and disrupts plays in the backfield, and he continues to get better as a pass rusher each season. And the guy is only 25 years old. That's elite in my book and the Jets would be crazy to trade him.

Just because two teams APPROACHED THE JETS doesn't mean they are looking to trade Mo.  For chrissakes calm down and stop overreacting. 

I do what I want.

Ratcheting up the mellow drama I see.

Drama loves drama, yo! 

Wilkerson is a force on defense who constantly draws double and triple teams, he can and does play both tackle and end, he regularly stuffs the run and disrupts plays in the backfield, and he continues to get better as a pass rusher each season. And the guy is only 25 years old. That's elite in my book and the Jets would be crazy to trade him.

Triple teams? No wonder why Sheldon Richardson looks so good! Does Mo crap thunder and piss lightning too? He's a very good player. He's not elite.. He does not remotely deserve Suh/Watt money.

+1 As a rookie Ellis had 8 1/2 sacks and a pick but that's a good comparison..But at least Ellis made a Pro bowl in his first 4 years.. :winking0001:

You can't compare him to Ellis now. Ellis was on the cusp of becoming elite early on, but then he sort of just played very, very good for the rest of his career. He could have been phenomenal. Not Watt type good of course, but somebody who should have posted 10-15 sacks each year. The switch to the 3-4 didn't help him either. We don't know yet what Mo is, he's just starting out. He's only 24 or 25 I think, he'll reach his ceiling in the next 2-3 years, he hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he can be a much better player, he can become elite. He was elite 2 years ago, last year he was hurt a lot and didn't play as well, he was still Pro Bowl worthy. If he gets back to his '13 form he can absolutely be elite. People have crazy expectations nowadays because of Watt. If it wasn't for Watt Sheldon probably would be the best DE in the game, or at least the best 3-4 DE, arguably a top 3 lineman overall. That's what Mo was in '13 even with Watt.

jets finally have things heading in the right direction and they are going to low ball their best player not named revis-pay the guy his value and dont look back-he might not be JJ Watt but there is only one JJ-

That's the problem. What is the value that he thinks he is?

The issue is that no matter what, he's not gonna get what he's worth. Simply because he has zero leverage. He's locked up here for "cheap", the next 2 years with that 5th year option and the franchise tag. If he were to hit the FA market he would have probably gotten more than he's worth. If he were on the last year of his deal he probably would be getting what he's worth. But he's 2 years from hitting the FA market, he's not gonna get what he's worth. Unless Woody really feels like just giving him that type of money, which I don't see. To me, somewhere between 11-13 mil. per year would be fair for a guy of his caliber considering he still has 2 years left here if we really want to keep him here without offering him a long term deal.

The issue is that no matter what, he's not gonna get what he's worth. Simply because he has zero leverage. He's locked up here for "cheap", the next 2 years with that 5th year option and the franchise tag. If he were to hit the FA market he would have probably gotten more than he's worth. If he were on the last year of his deal he probably would be getting what he's worth. But he's 2 years from hitting the FA market, he's not gonna get what he's worth. Unless Woody really feels like just giving him that type of money, which I don't see. To me, somewhere between 11-13 mil. per year would be fair for a guy of his caliber considering he still has 2 years left here if we really want to keep him here without offering him a long term deal.

I would not exactly call the 5th year option and the franchise tag cheap.  You are looking at $7M this year.  The franchise is already at $15M for DE.  These guys didn't want to pay Revis that when he was the best at his position and CB is arguably more valuable than 3-4 DE. 

I would not exactly call the 5th year option and the franchise tag cheap.  You are looking at $7M this year.  The franchise is already at $15M for DE.  These guys didn't want to pay Revis that when he was the best at his position and CB is arguably more valuable than 3-4 DE. 

That 7 mil. is a bargain. And the 15 mil. in 2 years would be something you'd have to pay a guy like him on average, without the long term committment/risk, and if you feel like he's worth the money. If he's looking for more than 13 mil. annually I say let him prove he's really that good. Let him play for the 7 mil. this year, if he proves he's elite he can have his 13-14 mil. per year. If he wants more than that you tag and maybe trade him. If not you let him walk and pick up the 3rd round compensatory pick if you can't get him re-signed a year later. This is too much speculation. I really hope he just takes whatever Macc throws at him, it'll be a very fair offer I'm sure. It's not gonna make him the highest paid or even a top 3 highest paid DE. Not that he deserves that kind of dough. If he feels he deserves more like I said, he should prove it next year first.

Im going to say something that should be obvious, but for some reason it isnt. Here's the cold hard truth...

We cannot keep all of the guys we have on the defensive line. Someone will eventually walk because we wont be able to pay them all. No one is saying that Mo Wilkerson isnt a damn good DE. What I am saying is that if I had to make a choice between extending him and losing Richardson or Trading Wilk and keeping Richardson, im keeping Sheldon. Coples makes the decision rather easy. This is what happens when you draft defense in the 1st round 6 years in a row which includes 3 DE/DT players in back-to-back-to-back years. (Wilk, Coples, Richardson). The upside is that this is a good problem to have. We could have drafted busts. Now we have an opportunity to trade to fill some holes elsewhere and possibly pick up draft picks if the Jets decide to play ball. 

No way in hell Mo Wilk needs to remain a Jet important part of the D

He plays a 5 technique in a 3-4 defense. Its not even the 1st or 2nd most important position in the scheme. 

He's the top 3/top 5 best at it, dont get me wrong, but Wilk can be replaced with a solid player. We need to get our offense to score points, that will be more beneficial than keeping 20 good d-linemen. 

Im going to say something that should be obvious, but for some reason it isnt. Here's the cold hard truth...

We cannot keep all of the guys we have on the defensive line. Someone will eventually walk because we wont be able to pay them all. No one is saying that Mo Wilkerson isnt a damn good DE. What I am saying is that if I had to make a choice between extending him and losing Richardson or Trading Wilk and keeping Richardson, im keeping Sheldon. Coples makes the decision rather easy. This is what happens when you draft defense in the 1st round 6 year in a row which includes 3 DE/DT players in back-to-back-to-back years. (Wilk, Coples, Richardson). The upside is that this is a good problem to have. We could have drafted busts. Now we have an opportunity to trade to fill some holes elsewhere and possibly pick up draft picks if the Jets decide to play ball. 

Well put.

I don't think it was accidental that his contract wasn't addressed for the past month and a half. Not so much a reluctance to re-signing him so much as once he's signed the offers dry up (or more correctly, we wouldn't entertain any offers to a player right after we'd just paid him a giant signing bonus). Same thing with Snacks. The guess is they like both just fine (who wouldn't?), but they're not any harder to lock up in May than they would have been in March, and meanwhile they leave options open.

You can't compare him to Ellis now. Ellis was on the cusp of becoming elite early on, but then he sort of just played very, very good for the rest of his career. He could have been phenomenal. Not Watt type good of course, but somebody who should have posted 10-15 sacks each year. The switch to the 3-4 didn't help him either. We don't know yet what Mo is, he's just starting out. He's only 24 or 25 I think, he'll reach his ceiling in the next 2-3 years, he hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he can be a much better player, he can become elite. He was elite 2 years ago, last year he was hurt a lot and didn't play as well, he was still Pro Bowl worthy. If he gets back to his '13 form he can absolutely be elite. People have crazy expectations nowadays because of Watt. If it wasn't for Watt Sheldon probably would be the best DE in the game, or at least the best 3-4 DE, arguably a top 3 lineman overall. That's what Mo was in '13 even with Watt.

Ellis played in the 3-4 as a rookie and had 8 1/2 sacks he switched to the 4-3 in 2001 when Herm came in and then back when Mangini came in but he played well in both fronts..

Ellis played in the 3-4 as a rookie and had 8 1/2 sacks he switched to the 4-3 in 2001 when Herm came in and then back when Mangini came in but he played well in both fronts..

Yeah well in 2002 the idea was to move him inside to be our Warren Sapp (never mind that he was like 3" taller and 20 lbs lighter), which then led to drafting Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed in that '02 draft while we had a glaring hole at safety. 

Well put.

I don't think it was accidental that his contract wasn't addressed for the past month and a half. Not so much a reluctance to re-signing him so much as once he's signed the offers dry up (or more correctly, we wouldn't entertain any offers to a player right after we'd just paid him a giant signing bonus). Same thing with Snacks. The guess is they like both just fine (who wouldn't?), but they're not any harder to lock up in May than they would have been in March, and meanwhile they leave options open.

Neither do I. And when Coples option was extended it was just more writing on the wall. I dont see it as a situation where they just dont want Wilk, I think that they're simply looking at different ways to make the team better. If Jet fans cant understand that trades could be part of that then they should atleast be glad that they're not Eagles fans because Chip is going off down there! lol. 

Oh joy!   This should be fun.   

I don't see them in any way trading Wilkerson right now, because Wilkerson can't hold out much (and with Coples on the team, the team can play chicken long enough to get Wilkerson to blink), and they hold the cards for two years with the 5th year option and the franchise tag.  If anything this is just doing some due diligence to see what the market is for the guy, but it won't be worth it in most cases, so I see them picking as if he's on the team, and then sitting down to talk extensions.  

However, in the unlikely scenario that they are serious about trading him, I would imagine these are some possibilities:  

1.  Eagles Domino:  The Eagles are willing to include Cox in a deal for Mariotta.  Cox would have 2 more years under team control before franchise tag is applied, and Bowles was the DC for Cox's rookie year.  If there is a deal that has a gentleman's agreement of us moving our pick to the Eagles, then it'd be wise to see what the price is for Wilkerson before the deal goes down, because afterwards his price is going to drop.   This would be heavily contingent on Mariotta dropping, and again, very unlikely.   So if there is a such a deal with the Eagles then these teams could be landing spots for Mo:

A.  Falcons:  A win now team desperate for a pass rusher.  They have the 8th pick and been angling about moving up for an impact pass rusher be it LB/DE (so far all talk has been LB, but besides Williams there aren't stud DE at the top of the draft, so the supply lends to the speculation).   The #8 pick for Wilkerson could be interesting, especially depending on what is available at that point.  However, since the deal would hinge on Mariota dropping, there is only one team between us and the 8 pick.   

B:  49ers:  Another team that could use some pass rushers in light of a horrible offseason in terms of injuries and retirements.  I'm not sure what they would be willing to offer (it doesn't make sense for them to trade Kapernick for a win now player, and then rebuild with a draft QB, unless aforementioned deal with the Eagles involves Bradford, who would then be flipped in this deal).  Even then, the deal doesn't match up at all.  

C:  Bills:  Rex loves Mo, Rex usually gets what he wants.  However, I have no idea what they could give to match the talent, that would also be a need for us.   

I think it'd be pretty stupid to trade Mo unless it was an offer we couldn't refuse.  The only plausible way I see a trade happening is if we get Cox in the the deal with Philly, and then flip Mo for a draft pick/player and save us one year on the clock.  But I hate dealing away guys who have been leaders on the team, has always been someone that worked hard, just because he didn't show up for voluntary work outs.  I don't blame Mo for sitting it out with all these injuries happening, when players are training, so I say, lets ride it out with him.  We know he's a very good player, and we know he's a leader on the team.   

Oh joy!   This should be fun.   

I don't see them in any way trading Wilkerson right now, because Wilkerson can't hold out much (and with Coples on the team, the team can play chicken long enough to get Wilkerson to blink), and they hold the cards for two years with the 5th year option and the franchise tag.  If anything this is just doing some due diligence to see what the market is for the guy, but it won't be worth it in most cases, so I see them picking as if he's on the team, and then sitting down to talk extensions.  

However, in the unlikely scenario that they are serious about trading him, I would imagine these are some possibilities:  

1.  Eagles Domino:  The Eagles are willing to include Cox in a deal for Mariotta.  Cox would have 2 more years under team control before franchise tag is applied, and Bowles was the DC for Cox's rookie year.  If there is a deal that has a gentleman's agreement of us moving our pick to the Eagles, then it'd be wise to see what the price is for Wilkerson before the deal goes down, because afterwards his price is going to drop.   This would be heavily contingent on Mariotta dropping, and again, very unlikely.   So if there is a such a deal with the Eagles then these teams could be landing spots for Mo:

A.  Falcons:  A win now team desperate for a pass rusher.  They have the 8th pick and been angling about moving up for an impact pass rusher be it LB/DE (so far all talk has been LB, but besides Williams there aren't stud DE at the top of the draft, so the supply lends to the speculation).   The #8 pick for Wilkerson could be interesting, especially depending on what is available at that point.  However, since the deal would hinge on Mariota dropping, there is only one team between us and the 8 pick.   

B:  49ers:  Another team that could use some pass rushers in light of a horrible offseason in terms of injuries and retirements.  I'm not sure what they would be willing to offer (it doesn't make sense for them to trade Kapernick for a win now player, and then rebuild with a draft QB, unless aforementioned deal with the Eagles involves Bradford, who would then be flipped in this deal).  Even then, the deal doesn't match up at all.  

C:  Bills:  Rex loves Mo, Rex usually gets what he wants.  However, I have no idea what they could give to match the talent, that would also be a need for us.   

I think it'd be pretty stupid to trade Mo unless it was an offer we couldn't refuse.  The only plausible way I see a trade happening is if we get Cox in the the deal with Philly, and then flip Mo for a draft pick/player and save us one year on the clock.  But I hate dealing away guys who have been leaders on the team, has always been someone that worked hard, just because he didn't show up for voluntary work outs.  I don't blame Mo for sitting it out with all these injuries happening, when players are training, so I say, lets ride it out with him.  We know he's a very good player, and we know he's a leader on the team.   

Isnt it like an unwritten rule never to trade with your division rival? 

Isnt it like an unwritten rule never to trade with your division rival? 

Sure.  But if you think the rival will pay much more than any other team, then it could be worth it.  I just don't think it's likely at all, there is very little chance of this coming to fruition.  

Um 

tumblr_mm6fr1hVvP1rge74zo1_500.jpg

ugh.  I understand the jets won't have to play 10 v 11 if they trade wilkerson.  my point is if they wanted to deal him they should have dealt him before free agency and then signed a DE.  trading him now would just leave a glaring need during the draft. 

so unless you get a QB in return it doesn't make sense for me

mo is a stud.  I would just franchise his ass if he wants watt money or suh money

the new CBA makes holdouts just a bluff

Archived