Minicamp Day 1 Wrap Up

DaBallhawk

The way you post tweets they do not show up at work. Is there a cut and paste method you can use ? I would appreciate that.

Sorry about that. Here you go:

- Bowles said nose tackle (to clog run) and cornerback (to play man when blitzing) are most important positions on defense.

- Bowles said Calvin Pryor will be strong safety but can be used as free safety depending on opponent/situation.

- Bowles said Pryor, Kerley, Sheldon have been here for the offseason program since it began. Nothing to worry about with today's absences.

- Bowles on absences of Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Jeremy Kerley, Mo Wilkerson: "It's voluntary."

- Todd Bowles says he has no reaction to Jets' $100,000 tampering fine.

- Todd Bowles says the Jets are working Brian Winters as the second-team center to establish some depth.

- Todd Bowles says he's heard tons of pre-draft trade rumors over the years, when asked about the Mo Wilkerson stuff.

- Todd Bowles began his first voluntary minicamp practice observing the defense but has now moved over to watch QB/WR with Chan Gailey.

- Todd Bowles on Day 1: "We probably can function in a touch football league right now." A joke about non-contact work.

- Todd Bowles says Ryan Fitzpatrick is "still a work in progress" in terms of getting his leg healthy.

Minicamp Notes & Quotes: Coples' View

Posted 26 minutes ago

Randy Lange

Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com

@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

LB Raps on His Role in Jets' New D; Ryan Fitzpatrick Talks Chan Gailey, QB Competition, Beard

Quinton Coples is counting his blessings today on the first day of the Jets' voluntary three-day minicamp.

Being back at the Atlantic Health Training Center, said the fourth-year LB, "This is another steppingstone for me. I've still got a lot of work to do to be a better outside linebacker. It's just a blessing."

But what if on Thursday night we draft a player that plays his position, an edge rusher, which many draft analysts could see happening with the sixth overall pick of the draft? Still a blessing.

"It's a business. There aren't be any hard feelings if someone comes in," said "Q." "We'll welcome him with arms open, teach him the system and go from there."

Yet that's not to say Coples is ready to give his job away. He likes the new system that head coach Todd Bowles and coordinator Kacy Rodgers are installing and what it could mean for him.

"A lot more rushing, so I'll be going against the quarterback a lot," he said. "I will be dropping a little bit as well but a lot more going forward. They don't need me in coverage any more, as you guys can tell."

That was a smiling reference to his duty in certain formations last year of trotting out wide to whack an opposing wide receiver at the line. But with the restocking of the secondary, starting with the returns of CBs Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, Coples said he won't be needed in that role anymore.

"Unbelievable. I mean it's a blessing," he said of the secondary. "We're excited as a front and looking forward to getting after the quarterback."

And Coples is ready to launch himself with renewed vigor. His roster weight last year was 290 but he said he didn't play anywhere near that. This year he thinks he'll be in the 270-275 range. He thinks that's a good neighborhood for him: "Leverage-wise I'll be able to play both the run and the pass. I think it's a good balance for my frame."

The only thing that would make this camp a complete blessing for Coples is the presence of DT Muhammad Wilkerson, who has stayed away from the voluntary offseason program and this camp.

"Mo's doing good. Obviously we'd love to have him here, but we understand the football business," he said. "I've been with him since high school. Whatever the situation may be, he's still cool, he's still my guy."

A New Ryan Heard From

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, who arrived in trade from the Texans in March, hadn't spoken with Jets reporters until today's locker room session. He said his rehab from that broken leg late last season is coming along. He's not a full-go even at this no-contact camp, but he said, "I'm on pace right now to definitely be healthy for training camp."

He said he's "excited" to be reunited with Chan Gailey, his head coach with the Bills from 2010-12, and in his polite Ivy League fashion he stated he's ready to scrap for the starting job.

"Yeah, they brought me in here as a guy who's played a lot of football and a lot of football in this offense, to come in and compete and be a competitor," he said. "So for me, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to give everything I have in terms of being a great teammate and being the best player I can be and we'll see where that leads."

And Fitzpatrick guaranteed he won't be leading with his chin, even though his famous beard has been shorn away.

"It's just a spring cleaning," he laughed. "It'll be back, don't worry, it'll be back ... probably in the next few days."

What's in a Name?

Add LB Trevor Reilly to the roster of new fathers. And while last year's seventh-rounder is not a first-time father, he's the proud papa of a month-old son whose name, wouldn't you know, is Jett.

"Actually, I had a brother pass away 15 years ago whose name was Jett," Trevor explained, "so we named him after his uncle. Come to think of it, it is kind of ironic."

Reilly says his son was a 9-pounder so he thinks pro sports could be in his future. But maybe not defensive line or linebacker.

"How about kicker or punter? Long snapper?," he said. "Golfer?"

- Bowles said nose tackle (to clog run) and cornerback (to play man when blitzing) are most important positions on defense.

- Bowles said Calvin Pryor will be strong safety but can be used as free safety depending on opponent/situation.

- Bowles said Pryor, Kerley, Sheldon have been here for the offseason program since it began. Nothing to worry about with today's absences.

- Bowles on absences of Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Jeremy Kerley, Mo Wilkerson: "It's voluntary."

- Todd Bowles says the Jets are working Brian Winters as the second-team center to establish some depth.

- Todd Bowles says he's heard tons of pre-draft trade rumors over the years, when asked about the Mo Wilkerson stuff.

- Todd Bowles began his first voluntary minicamp practice observing the defense but has now moved over to watch QB/WR with Chan Gailey.

- Todd Bowles on Day 1: "We probably can function in a touch football league right now." A joke about non-contact work.

- Todd Bowles says Ryan Fitzpatrick is "still a work in progress" in terms of getting his leg healthy.

Awesome job. Thanks.

I will let you know when i need your input. Till then spare your fingers.

I dunno, DaBallhawk makes the effort to post lots of tweets, we should be thanking him.  Instead, you complain that you don't like the format, because your job blocks twitter?

Shouldn't you be paying attention to that nuclear power plant anyway?

I dunno, DaBallhawk makes the effort to post lots of tweets, we should be thanking him.  Instead, you complain that you don't like the format, because your job blocks twitter?

Nice try. This is not about DaBallhawk. And do not use him as shield.

Next time i need your opinion I will let you know.

Did you just call him Homer Simpson.. :winking0001:

Wow, your killing it. lol.

somewhat interesting as it pertains to the possibility of trading Mo

Quinton Coples is counting his blessings today on the first day of the Jets' voluntary three-day minicamp.

Being back at the Atlantic Health Training Center, said the fourth-year LB, "This is another steppingstone for me. I've still got a lot of work to do to be a better outside linebacker. It's just a blessing."

But what if on Thursday night we draft a player that plays his position, an edge rusher, which many draft analysts could see happening with the sixth overall pick of the draft? Still a blessing.

"It's a business. There aren't be any hard feelings if someone comes in," said "Q." "We'll welcome him with arms open, teach him the system and go from there."

Yet that's not to say Coples is ready to give his job away. He likes the new system that head coach Todd Bowles and coordinator Kacy Rodgers are installing and what it could mean for him.

"A lot more rushing, so I'll be going against the quarterback a lot," he said. "I will be dropping a little bit as well but a lot more going forward. They don't need me in coverage any more, as you guys can tell."

That was a smiling reference to his duty in certain formations last year of trotting out wide to whack an opposing wide receiver at the line. But with the restocking of the secondary, starting with the returns of CBs Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, Coples said he won't be needed in that role anymore.

I have faith in Bowles, not sure I like this whole LB thing though. Q is a D-Lineman, they should just move him back for good.

somewhat interesting as it pertains to the possibility of trading Mo

I thought maybe he cared less about NT considering how easily they let Kenrick Ellis walk. The Giants signed him short term for peanuts and he seemed a decent enough "planet theory" guy.  Considering that Buffalo didn't even take a sniff at him, I wonder if he is worse than PFF thought, if he is injured too much or something else. He'd have been nice enough to keep around.for a year at $1.5M as insurance/rotation for Snacks.  I wonder how high they are on Barnes.  He had some run and looked surprisingly good in limited snaps.  I guess they can always play Sheldon there too.

I have faith in Bowles, not sure I like this whole LB thing though. Q is a D-Lineman, they should just move him back for good.

I don't think it is a big deal. From what he says it will basically be DE.  I think they always wanted to do that with him, but couldn't in 2014 with that sh*t secondary.

My favorites in bold.

Archived